Author Topic: DHS, Mount Bachelor Academy Settle Case  (Read 13217 times)

Offline Dysfunction Junction

• View Profile
Re: DHS, Mount Bachelor Academy Settle Case
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2010, 12:49:36 PM »
Quote from: "Dysfunction Junction"
Nice follow up, Ursus.  Once more Whooter has been proven to be lying and has been exposed and caught with his pants down yet again without any facts.

DHS kicked MBA's ass, sanctioned the director and shut the shit hole down for abuse and neglect.  End of story.

Ursus eats Whooter's lunch yet again.  Classic.  Whooter may want to take note that continuing to lie in the face of the published facts won't change anything.  MBA is gone and Bitz is forced to take child psychology classes to atone for her child abuse and to be allowed to operate in Oregon again.

Now you might want to ask "Why was Bitz running a program for children with no credentials?"  That would be a good discussion.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Compassion is the basis of morality."

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline heretik

• View Profile
Re: Mount Bachelor Academy, DHS reach settlement
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2010, 01:32:40 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
Here's another article on this development, which came out shortly after Barney Lerten's piece for KTVZ.com posted above. Jason Chaney's article (below) goes into a little more detail re. the conditions of the settlement reached between Aspen Ed/MBA and the state of Oregon's DHS:

-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Central Oregonian

Mount Bachelor Academy, DHS reach settlement
Oregon Department of Human Services agreed to dismiss or modify abuse findings, school will stay closed

Jason Chaney
October 07, 2010

Nearly a year after the Oregon Department of Human Services ordered Mount Bachelor Academy to discontinue therapeutic services, the two parties have reached a settlement.

Although a settlement has been reached, the possibility of the therapeutic boarding school for teens re-opening is still in question.

"We are pleased that the ongoing legal dispute between Mount Bachelor Academy (MBA) and the State of Oregon Department of Human Services (DHS) has finally been satisfactorily resolved," Aspen Education Group President Phil Herschman said in a written statement on behalf of MBA. Aspen owned MBA and still owns other therapeutic boarding schools in several states throughout the country.

Last November, DHS completed a seven-month investigation into numerous allegations of child abuse by the MBA staff, finding several substantiated incidents of abuse. As a result, DHS ordered MBA to suspend therapeutic services and residential services, giving them 90 days to correct the violations. The violations were not corrected and the school remains closed.

According to the settlement recitals, one month after the order, MBA requested a hearing to contest the complaint and corrective order and suspension order. The recitals went on to state that in March 2010, MBA reached an agreement with DHS regarding the orders.

The recitals also recounted four legal proceedings initiated by MBA and its executive director Sharon Bitz between December 2009 and July 2010.

First, Bitz sued DHS in December 2009 to contest allegations against her. Then in April 2010, MBA and Bitz separately submitted notices of claim for damages to the Oregon Department of Administrative Services. Finally, in July 2010, MBA filed a lawsuit to contest the DHS abuse allegations.

According to the agreement, DHS will modify the findings of its investigation while MBA and Bitz will withdraw any legal action they have pursued.

"The findings as regards MBA will be modified to replace the 'substantiated' with the following two sentences: 'Based on the evidence available to the Department (DHS), the Department found that there is reasonable cause to believe that abuse or neglect occurred. The Department's conclusion is based on evidence collected solely by the Department as of Nov. 2, 2009 and not on information provided or available after that date.' "

Lawyers two stepping....for financial reasons not because they give a shit about the children. Don't be blinded by the smoke.
"

These modifications are reflected in a statement released by Erinn Kelley-Siel, DHS director of children, adults and families.

"MBA acknowledged that based on the evidence available to DHS on Nov. 2, 2009, the agency had reasonable cause to believe that abuse or neglect occurred at the school as uncovered by the investigation," the statement said. "In addition, MBA agrees that DHS had a reasonable basis to investigate the allegations of abuse and neglect and to seek corrective actions."

Guilty!!!!

Herschman, on the other hand, suggested in his statement that the agreement shows the DHS lacked the grounds to shut MBA down.

"The DHS' withdrawal of its order suspending MBA's license supports out position that they did not have justification for that order in the first place," his statement reads. "The DHS has acknowledged with this settlement that in fact there was additional evidence no abuse had occurred."
In addition modifying the finding against MBA, DHS will withdraw the substantiated findings against Bitz on the condition that she enrolls in and successfully completes a two-year course in child/adolescent psychology. The course must be pre-approved by DHS. If she fails to complete the course, DHS will enter the findings into their computer system.

Guilty!!!!

The agreement further requires the dismissal of any legal action or claims pursued by MBA or Bitz with the understanding that no new actions will be filed.

As far as the future of MBA is concerned Kelley-Siel's DHS statement said that school is closed and, "by all accounts, will remain closed."

Guilty!!!

Herschman does not dispute that MBA is closed, but he expressed the intent to install a new school on the property at some point.

Guilty!!!!

"Despite the tragic circumstances of Mount Bachelor (Academy's) closure, we hope to open a new, even more successful school on the MBA campus in the future," his statement said.

Guilty!!!!

© 2009 | Eagle Newspapers, Inc.

Thank you very much Ursus. Your efforts are duly noted.
Whooter the Children....remember!!!!

Offline Samara

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2010, 02:01:08 PM »
Wow. Bitz. I saw a  Sharon and an Alex. Alex used to work for CEDU and I am positive his marriage to his new wife (not Sharon) at the time imploded as he got indoctrinated and treated her like a twit.  When I was at Cedu, Alex was rising. So, it appears he is part of this fiasco with another (?) wife, Sharon?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2010, 02:25:40 PM »
Quote from: "Samara"
Wow. Bitz. I saw a  Sharon and an Alex. Alex used to work for CEDU and I am positive his marriage to his new wife (not Sharon) at the time imploded as he got indoctrinated and treated her like a twit.  When I was at Cedu, Alex was rising. So, it appears he is part of this fiasco with another (?) wife, Sharon?
Yes, Alex Bitz was one of the founding staff members at MBA. And... afaik, he and Sharon are married.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Alex Bitz
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2010, 02:37:19 PM »
Originally posted on 4 Nov 2009 in the Mount Bachelor Academy Shut Down thread:

An off-the-wall yet interesting aside: Like Jacob Moreno, founder of psychodrama, MBA's Alex Bitz is a Romanian expatriate:

Bitz, Alex - Alumni Services Director
    Educated in Film and theatre arts in Romania, Alex Bitz became a political refugee and came to the USA in 1984. He is a founding staff member of MBA. Since 1988 he has brought his creativity and passion to every aspect of the school (workshops, training, mentoring, arts, etc.). After more than 20 years of successfully working with children and families, Alex is as consumed with the work as he was his first day. Alex is a certified Life Coach and can often times be found traveling with students to Eastern Europe on the LaMancha Workshop.

Offline Samara

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2010, 02:50:27 PM »
yep, he was at CEDU very very shortly after he emigrated.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2010, 03:28:42 PM »
Quote from: "heretik"
Thank you very much Ursus. Your efforts are duly noted.
Whooter the Children....remember!!!![/b]

I second that, thanks Ursus.  I think this sums it up well.

Fast forward to 2010:

"The DHS' withdrawal of its order suspending MBA's license supports out position that they did not have justification for that order in the first place," his statement reads. "The DHS has acknowledged with this settlement that in fact there was additional evidence no abuse had occurred."

I think we can all agree that if DHS had any evidence of abuse they would not be handing back a license.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2010, 04:53:12 PM »
Quote from: "Whooter"
I think we can all agree that if DHS had any evidence of abuse they would not be handing back a license.
Well, YOU can agree with Aspen's statement on behalf of MBA, as voiced by Aspen CEO Phil Herschman, all you want. You have only been doing so for... what is it now, 5 pages in this thread alone? I'm sure you can get a little more mileage out of that paragraph with a lil more chopping and rearrangement, not to mention your fancy footwork with hats and rabbits. And goodness, you now have another journalist whose name you can attribute your creative endeavors to.

But I think you'll have a bit more difficulty finding others who agree with you, especially when they are aware of, or perhaps just now realize, the kinds of deceptions you apparently can't help yourself from indulging in.

Of course, DHS had evidence of abuse. What they backed down on was a time line of when it occurred. They did so in return for MBA and Bitz dropping four lawsuits that they had initiated against DHS, and for Sharon Bitz's obligatory completion of a a two-year course in child/adolescent psychology. Clearly they have a pretty dim view of Ms. Bitz's comprehension of what constitutes a healthy behavioral treatment program for children.

Incidentally, speaking of hats and rabbits, who ever said anything about "handing back a license?" Mount Bachelor Academy was closed due to their not complying with the conditions of re-opening. It continues to stay closed. They have no plans of re-opening. If they want to open another school at the same location, they'll probably have to start that licensing process over again. But that's for another thread if and when that time ever comes. From the above article by Jason Chaney, emphasis added:

As far as the future of MBA is concerned Kelley-Siel's DHS statement said that [the] school is closed and, "by all accounts, will remain closed."

Herschman does not dispute that MBA is closed, but he expressed the intent to install a new school on the property at some point.
    [/list]

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
    « Reply #68 on: December 08, 2010, 07:23:20 PM »
    Well, YOU can agree with Aspen's statement on behalf of MBA, as voiced by Aspen CEO Phil Herschman, all you want.
    I don’t expect you to come out in this thread and state that we agree.
    You have only been doing so for... what is it now, 5 pages in this thread alone? I'm sure you can get a little more mileage out of that paragraph with a lil more chopping and rearrangement, not to mention your fancy footwork with hats and rabbits. And goodness, you now have another journalist whose name you can attribute your creative endeavors to.
    Oh, Ursus, calm down no one is chopping or rearranging.  Its called looking closely at the report and quoting people.  If you repost the article everytime you quote it no one would read it.  We can quote the author, Phil Herschman or Kelley-Siel's because they are the players in this whole thing.  Why does it bother you when people quote them?

But I think you'll have a bit more difficulty finding others who agree with you, especially when they are aware of, or perhaps just now realize, the kinds of deceptions you apparently can't help yourself from indulging in.
    Lol, what deception?  I think you are losing it Ursus.  My quotes come directly from the article you posted here verbatim.  There is no deception.

Of course, DHS had evidence of abuse.
    They thought they did in 2009.  MBA even agrees to the fact that an investigation was warranted based on the information that DHS had at the time.  All parties agree here.
    What they backed down on was a time line of when it occurred.
    They backed down when various people threatened to sue them and they took a look at the evidence they had.  DHS will never back down on children being abused.  How could they sleep at night?  They realized that they made a mistake and no abuse occurred.
    They did so in return for MBA and Bitz dropping four lawsuits that they had initiated against DHS, and for Sharon Bitz's obligatory completion of a a two-year course in child/adolescent psychology. Clearly they have a pretty dim view of Ms. Bitz's comprehension of what constitutes a healthy behavioral treatment program for children.
    Exactly, if DHS actions had caused the state to lose millions of dollars in damages then Kelley-Siel would have lost her job fairly quickly.  The state saw the mistake, stepped in, and  brought some reality into the situation.

Incidentally, speaking of hats and rabbits, who ever said anything about "handing back a license?" Mount Bachelor Academy was closed to their not complying with the conditions of re-opening.
    The order to suspend the license was lifted by DHS.
    It continues to stay closed. They have no plans of re-opening. If they want to open another school at the same location, they'll probably have to start that licensing process over again. But that's for another thread if and when that time ever comes. From the above article by Jason Chaney, emphasis added:
    As far as the future of MBA is concerned Kelley-Siel's DHS statement said that [the] school is closed and, "by all accounts, will remain closed."

Whenever a school closes it needs to be brought up to the latest standards in order to reopen.  If you look at an old local grade school you would notice that the school is barely complying with standards and many standards (classroom square feet , handicap ramps and bathrooms, ) are not complied with because of space constrictions and therefore the school is grandfathered from many requirements.  But the minute the school closes down(even temporarily) it cannot reopen until it is fully upgraded to 2010 standards.  So you never see local grade schools closing for a year or two to accommodate expansion and contraction of student flow otherwise they would never be able to reopen under state guidelines.

Offline Dysfunction Junction

• View Profile
    « Reply #69 on: December 09, 2010, 09:26:23 AM »
    You attempted to pass off press release material of a corporation doing aggressive damage control, a corporation that owns dozens of teen hell holes, in which kids have died in, as the words of a presumably objective journalist.

That is an egregious misrepresentation.

I'm going to disagree here, Bear.  This is an outright lie perpetrated by a lying shill, namely, Whooter.  This isn't a misrepresentation.
    "Compassion is the basis of morality."

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
    « Reply #70 on: December 09, 2010, 09:59:17 AM »

Stop it.  Right now!
    traight, St. Pete, early 80s
    AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
    « Reply #71 on: December 09, 2010, 10:02:47 AM »
    I don’t expect you to come out in this thread and state that we agree.

Then stop saying "WE can all agree"!!!!!  I don't think there's even ONE of us that agrees with your interpretation of pretty much ANYthing.....so quit trying to imply that by saying things like "WE can all agree on _______________"!!

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
    « Reply #72 on: December 09, 2010, 10:16:31 AM »
    Quote from: "Anne Bonney"

Stop it.  Right now!

I am not talking directly to you, Anne.  But think about it.  If DHS had evidence that a school was abusing its kids do you think they would be handing back their license.  That is why I stated that I thought we could all agree here on this point.

DHS may back down on certain issues but never involving the abuse of a child.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
    « Reply #73 on: December 09, 2010, 10:31:17 AM »

Stop it.  Right now!

I am not talking directly to you, Anne.

I don't give a shit.  Stop saying "we can all agree that _____________".  You know it's not true, you know that virtually none of us agree with  you on pretty much anything.  So stop it.  Now.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
    « Reply #74 on: December 09, 2010, 11:11:55 AM »

Stop it.  Right now!

I am not talking directly to you, Anne.

I don't give a shit.  Stop saying "we can all agree that _____________".  You know it's not true, you know that virtually none of us agree with  you on pretty much anything.  So stop it.  Now.

I am not saying you have to agree with me.  I am saying we can all agree ___________ . From reading here on fornits there are some assumptions that can be made and one of them is that we all know DHS and how they operate and if they see a child being abused they will take action and not back down.  many times they step down rather than see a child put in harms way.  So I base my statements on those assumptions.  don't take it personally and I had indicated that I will not use the phrase directly towards you.