Author Topic: DHS, Mount Bachelor Academy Settle Case  (Read 12973 times)

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
Re: DHS, Mount Bachelor Academy Settle Case
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 08:09:59 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
I'm not too concerned over whether Barry Lerten is "aware" or not of whatever it is you seem to think he was.

What I find troublesome is your quoting Aspen press release material and claiming or insinuating that it is from an article written by a bona fide reporter who has certain standards of veracity in what he has authorship of.

When you claim, "The article goes further to say...," you are averring that what preceded your words as well as what comes after them ... is from the article. In both cases, that simply isn't true.

Since I tend to view the veracity of Aspen press releases as being somewhat less believable than assurances that the moon is made of green cheese, I find your false claims quite telling.

Personally I think all the information is vital and important.

So, per your argument, lets remove the DHS press release and the Aspen Press release from the equation....  We are still left with:

News of the settlement was applauded by supporters of the school, including Elaine Povich, a Washington, D.C., freelance journalist, who credits MBA with "giving her son the tools he needed to study, graduate and go on with his education."

"Before MBA, he was floundering," she said. "He benefited immensely from the program, and developed important relationships with the staff there."

"It is gratifying to see the settlement in which DHS admits what we parents knew all along - the state caused a completely unecessary disruption of a unique and successful school community by acting precipitiously and without gathering all of the facts first," Povich told NewsChannel 21.

"The state went off half-cocked," Povich added. "I hope especially that this settlement will mean that no other school will be subjected in the future to similar callous treatment by DHS."

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 08:37:50 PM »
Quote from: "Whooter"
So, per your argument, lets remove the DHS press release and the Aspen Press release from the equation....
Where did I argue for removing the DHS and the Aspen press releases? I never even mentioned removing them. Which hat did that rabbit come from?

I expressed concern over your insistence on misrepresentation and fraudulent attribution.

It wasn't "insistence" half a page back, but... since you still refuse to even acknowledge your error, I am forced to consider that your deception may be deliberate.

In case you need another refresher:

What I find troublesome is your quoting
Aspen press release material and claiming or insinuating that it is from an article written by a bona fide reporter who has certain standards of veracity in what he has authorship of.

When you claim, "The article goes further to say...," you are averring that what preceded your words as well as what comes after them ... is from the article. In both cases, that simply isn't true.

Since I tend to view the veracity of Aspen press releases as being somewhat less believable than assurances that the moon is made of green cheese, I find your false claims quite telling.[/list][/size]
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 09:02:47 PM »
So, per your argument, lets remove the DHS press release and the Aspen Press release from the equation....
Where did I argue for removing the DHS and the Aspen press releases? I never even mentioned removing them. Which hat did that rabbit come from?

I expressed concern over your insistence on misrepresentation and fraudulent attribution.

It wasn't "insistence" half a page back, but... since you still refuse to even acknowledge your error, I am forced to consider that your deception may be deliberate.

In case you need another refresher:

What I find troublesome is your quoting
Aspen press release material and claiming or insinuating that it is from an article written by a bona fide reporter who has certain standards of veracity in what he has authorship of.

Since I tend to view the veracity of Aspen press releases as being somewhat less believable than assurances that the moon is made of green cheese, I find your false claims quite telling.[/list][/size]

Sorry, Ursus, I am not that Anal about differentiating between portions of the same article.  I find it important to include DHS's comments as well as Aspens comments even though you may feel they are press releases.  Some people may feel government agencies like DHs are less credible.  This isnt up to you or I to filter.  We should present the whole article.  If you feel the certain parts of the article are more credible then that is okay and is your opinion.

Personally I think DHS got a hold of some bad information which they based their decision to close MBA on.  When they looked further into it they realized they screwed up (their info was not credible) and Aspen was suing them.  No abuse occurred (as we now know) and the DHS press release was damage control as they slowly backed off.  This is very evident to me.  You may see it differently which is fine.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2010, 10:15:50 AM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"
Quote from: "Dysfunction Junction"
The emotional growth curriculum included but was not limited to sexual role play in front of staff and peers requiring students to say derogatory phrases about themselves in front of staff and peers requiring students to reenact past physical abuse in front of staff and peers permitting staff to engage in the usage of derogatory names phrases and ridicule of students and deprivation of sleep...

All students were required to participate...

This, among many other reasons, is why MBA was closed down.  Just read the above passage, and if you're OK with it, then you ought to be strung up because it is blatant sexualized child abuse.  That's a fact some here desperately want to avoid.

:nods:

The DHS reacted on poor information.  After the investigation they reversed their position.

What I like to do is get back to the latest information at hand.  A lot of things were said by DHS that they regret.  Here is the latest article on MBA and a statement:

Link

"DHS has agreed  to withdraw or modify all of its actions against MBA"

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2010, 10:40:32 AM »
The emotional growth curriculum included but was not limited to sexual role play in front of staff and peers requiring students to say derogatory phrases about themselves in front of staff and peers requiring students to reenact past physical abuse in front of staff and peers permitting staff to engage in the usage of derogatory names phrases and ridicule of students and deprivation of sleep...

This, among many other reasons, is why MBA was closed down.  Just read the above passage, and if you're OK with it, then you ought to be strung up because it is blatant sexualized child abuse.  That's a fact some here desperately want to avoid.

The DHS reacted on poor information.  After the investigation they reversed their position.

Says you.

A lot of things were said by DHS that they regret.  Here is the latest article on MBA and a statement:

Link

It says NOTHING in there about regretting anything they did. In fact, it actually says, "Under the settlement, the state is withdrawing or modifying all of its orders and actions taken against the school, but says it still stands by its decision to investigate the facility, which had about 90 students and more than 75 staff as of early last year, with tuition of $6,400 a month."

We don't know what the terms of the settlement were.  It could very well be that Aspen Ed has agreed to suspend or disavow their "Lifesteps" and other violations found in the investigation.

BECAUSE THEY CLOSED DOWN AFTER ALL THE VIOLATIONS WERE BROUGHT TO LIGHT
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2010, 10:49:49 AM »

It says NOTHING in there about regretting anything they did. In fact, it actually says, "Under the settlement, the state is withdrawing or modifying all of its orders and actions taken against the school, but says it still stands by its decision to investigate the facility, which had about 90 students and more than 75 staff as of early last year, with tuition of $6,400 a month."

Even Aspen agrees with the decision to investigate MBA.  Based on the initial evidence DHS felt they had no choice but to close the facility down temporarily.  But after after they reviewed all the evidence they found out that they were wrong and jumped the gun.

I think we all agree that the initial action was warranted based on the information they had.  DHS has no authority to tell MBA they have to repopen the school.  Now that all the children have been relocated to other facilities there is no rush to reopen the facility.  The start up costs are high.

Offline Dysfunction Junction

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2010, 12:23:24 PM »
I'm not too concerned over whether Barry Lerten is "aware" or not of whatever it is you seem to think he was.

What I find troublesome is your quoting Aspen press release material and claiming or insinuating that it is from an article written by a bona fide reporter who has certain standards of veracity in what he has authorship of.

Since I tend to view the veracity of Aspen press releases as being somewhat less believable than assurances that the moon is made of green cheese, I find your false claims quite telling.

Ditto.
"Compassion is the basis of morality."

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2010, 12:41:07 PM »

Barney Lerten stated himself:  "Under the settlement, the state is withdrawing or modifying all of its orders and actions taken against the school,"

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2010, 12:51:59 PM »

Says you.

A lot of things were said by DHS that they regret.  Here is the latest article on MBA and a statement:

Link

We don't know what the terms of the settlement were.  It could very well be that Aspen Ed has agreed to suspend or disavow their "Lifesteps" and other violations found in the investigation.

BECAUSE THEY CLOSED DOWN AFTER ALL THE VIOLATIONS WERE BROUGHT TO LIGHT
:tup:

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2010, 12:55:32 PM »
Even Aspen agrees with the decision to investigate MBA.  Based on the initial evidence DHS felt they had no choice but to close the facility down temporarily.  But after after they reviewed all the evidence they found out that they were wrong and jumped the gun.

I think we all agree that the initial action was warranted based on the information they had.  DHS has no authority to tell MBA they have to repopen the school.  Now that all the children have been relocated to other facilities there is no rush to reopen the facility.  The start up costs are high.

lol

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2010, 01:06:49 PM »
Quote from: "The gatekeeper"
The substantiated incidents of abuse or neglect are shown below:

* Mt. Bachelor Academy Executive Director neglected the care of four children by failing to ensure individualized and therapeutic treatment plans were developed to address past abuse and significant emotional and behavioral issues.

* The Mount Bachelor Academy program abused a child in 2007 by requiring the child to engage in sexualized role play in front of staff and peers.

* The Mount Bachelor program abused a second child in 2009 by requiring the child to make obscene and self-degrading comments out loud, in front of staff and peers. In addition, the Mount Bachelor program neglected the same child during 2008-2009 by failing to provide adequate medical care and supervision.

* The Mount Bachelor Academy program neglected a third child in 2009, by failing to provide adequate supervision during an international trip.

* The Mount Bachelor Academy program abused a fourth child in 2008 by requiring the child to engage in degrading activities such as acting out sexualized role play and physical abuse, and by being subjected to obscene and degrading comments by staff in front of other staff and peers.

* The Mount Bachelor Academy program abused a fifth child during 2009 by requiring and/or permitting staff to use derogatory names, phrases, ridicule and harassment.

* The Mount Bachelor Academy program neglected five children between 2007 and 2009 by failing to provide individualized treatment to meet their diagnosed mental health needs.

* The Mount Bachelor Academy program abused five children between 2007 and 2009 by requiring them to engage in activities that were coercive, intimidating, harassing, and/or humiliating.

I am not saying whether people are right or wrong.  The role play sounds identical to an exercise in the "Summit" at CEDU schools.

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2010, 01:10:43 PM »

Nowhere did they say anything even close to that.

I think we (tsk, tsk, tsk.....that's a no-no) all agree that the initial action was warranted based on the information they had.  DHS has no authority to tell MBA they have to repopen the school.  Now that all the children have been relocated to other facilities there is no rush to reopen the facility.  The start up costs are high.

lol

What, exactly, do you find so funny about this?  It really is looking more and more like you just enjoy annoying people and being contrary.  Maybe there's a program for that.

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2010, 01:15:16 PM »

Well actually they did.

Barney Lerten stated himself:  "Under the settlement, the state is withdrawing or modifying all of its orders and actions taken against the school,"

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2010, 01:22:52 PM »

Well actually they did.

And that says nothing about jumping the gun or that they were wrong.  We know nothing of the settlement.  It could be that they withdrew the action(s) because the school shuttered it's doors and have agreed to not use any of the methods that were found to be abusive.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2010, 01:25:39 PM »
I'm not too concerned over whether Barney Lerten is "aware" or not of whatever it is you seem to think he was.

But THAT was not what you quoted in the post under discussion. Curious that you omitted that part of our banter, eh? Well... here's your post again, to refresh everyone's memory. READ CAREFULLY (compare the quote just above with the one just below which are in red), Whooter's being sneaky again:

What I like to do is get back to the latest information at hand.  A lot of things were said by DHS that they regret.  Here is the latest article on MBA and a statement:

Link

BECAUSE THEY CLOSED.
    The article goes further to say:

The DHS’ withdrawal of its order suspending MBA’s license supports our position that they did not have justification for that order in the first place. The DHS has acknowledged with this settlement that in fact there was additional evidence no abuse had occurred.
    [/list]
    -------------- • -------------- • --------------