Author Topic: Recent Death of girl at the hands of Sunrise Academy  (Read 14166 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Girl from London dies in rollover on I-70
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 04:50:10 PM »
A short piece of video news footage at the link...

-------------- • -------------- • --------------

FOX 13 News
Girl from London dies in rollover on I-70

Aaron Vaughn, Web Content Producer FOX 13 News
7:21 PM MDT, October 17, 2010

SEVIER COUNTY, Utah - A 17-year-old girl died after the SUV she was riding in rolled on Interstate 70 Sunday morning.

Six passengers from a youth program were riding in a Chevy Suburban on their way from Hurricane to Moab when the vehicle rolled. UHP says the driver was trying to get the attention of another vehicle when he lost control of the vehicle after they encountered a curve in the road.

The vehicle rolled near mile marker 73 not far from the town of Sevier.

One passenger was ejected and was flown to a Salt Lake area hospital in extremely critical condition.

The passengers were said to be part of a youth center called Sunrise Academy out of Hurricane. They were traveling with another vehicle, which was ahead of the Suburban when the accident occurred.

17-year-old Natasha Newman from London, England, was killed.

Troopers say the other victim who is in critical condition, was only wearing the lap belt while riding in the passenger seat.

"A lot of times people go for comfort and put that shoulder strap behind them. That shoulder strap does do a lot in keeping the person in the seat, helps keep them from getting flung out of the seat belt," said Utah Highway Patrol Spokesman Cameron Roden.

Copyright © 2010, KSTU-TV · 5020 W Amelia Earhart Dr., Salt Lake City, UT  84116
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Topix: "FATAL CRASH UTAH: One dead in SUV rollover..."
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2010, 05:10:53 PM »
Comments left for the above article, "Girl from London dies in rollover on I-70" (by Aaron Vaughn; October 17, 2010; FOX 13 News), form the basis of the following Topix thread.

My guess is that the above article, as well as the below descriptive, originally included the phrase "troubled youth program," judging by all the discussion about it...

"FATAL CRASH UTAH: One dead in SUV rollover near Hurricane":

"One person died after a SUV rolled on I-70 Sunday afternoon. Six passengers from a youth program were riding in a Suburban on their way from Hurricane to Moab when the vehicle rolled."[/list]

#1 Anonymous Wappingers Falls, NY · Sunday Oct 17
      I think, in the light of such a profound tragedy, it would have been better if you had not labled these girls as "troubled youth". These girls are in a residential treatment facility because they need more help than their parents or home communities could provide. They and their families should be commended for seeking the assistance of qualified professionals. My heart goes out to everyone at Sunrise.
    #2 Samantha Gossman Urbanna, VA · Monday Oct 18
      I completely agree with the anonymous poster. I actually graduated from the mentioned Residential Treatment Center in August of 2007, and I do think it was in poor taste to refer to the girls as troubled.
    #3 Jim Sexton Tempe, AZ · Monday Oct 18
      My daughter is a current student at Sunrise and I will tell you the First commentor has it right. Sunrise and the people who are a part of that program are some of the most caring, best individuals I have ever met. They work very hard every day to help these wonderful young girls work thru their varying personal issues. There is nothing troubled about the program or the girls. They are great kids struggling with teenage issues as they try to grow up. I and the other Sunrise parents make a supreme effort to support and nurture these girls. My thoughts and prayers to all at Sunrise as they work thru this difficult time. JFS
    #4 Anonymous Elgin, UK · Monday Oct 18
      I knew Sasha (the girl who died), she was a really bubbly girl who doesn't deserve the label 'troubled youth'. She had a lot going on but she was not a bad person. I hope the people at Sunrise get through this, our school is really affected by her death. RIP x
    #5 Brittany Buena Park, CA · Monday Oct 18
      I went to Sunrise when I was thirteen. Anyone who was there with me will know that I wasn't a troubled youth, neither were they. It's offensive to be referred to like that. It sounds like we committed horrible crimes, and had to be shoved away like an inmate.

This accident was a tragedy. If there was anyway I could turn back time, and make sure it never happened, I would. I don't know any of the girls who are there now, but nobody deserves to die at such a young age. My positive thoughts are going out to her family, and everyone at Sunrise.
    #6 Cheryl Hurricane, UT · Monday Oct 18
      My thoughts and prayers go out to all that were involved in this tragedy. To the family who has lost a child, to the girls who were involved in this accident and the girls who have lost a good friend,and to the Sunrise employee's.
    #7 Anonymous Saint George, UT · Monday Oct 18
      I know Sunrise. They are the most caring of programs in our industry. My prayers go out to the families of the beautiful young lady who lost her life, those injured, those affected, and those of the team at Sunrise. My confidence and support is unshaken in the administration and staff at Sunrise, and their ability to help each of their students, families, and staff get through this tragedy. They are in good hands.
    #8 Anonymous Glasgow, UK · Tuesday Oct 19
      I knew Sasha a little; she was a friend of my daughter and very much liked and appreciated for her bright and warm personality. What a disgrace of the media to label her "troubled". What a tragedy to have lost her.
    #9 Christyn United States · Tuesday Oct 19
      I graduated from Sunrise about 5 months ago and I know most of the girls not one of them is troubled. All the girls work very hard to better themselves. I know I did. It is so sad that this happened, I also know who was driving the car and let me just say she was one of the staff I respected the most while I was there, she is one of the funniest and nicest people I have ever met. I'm praying for her, the girls in the accident, and the girls at Sunrise. I love you and miss you all.Stay Strong!
    #10 sarah Riverton, UT · Tuesday Oct 19
      so very sad. God bless this family.
    #11 sarah Riverton, UT · Tuesday Oct 19
      so very sad, god be with this family.
    #12 anonymous London, UK · Wednesday Oct 20
      I absolutely agree with the first post. I too knew Sasha. She was a bright and feisty girl who was really blossoming at Sunrise. She and her family had been working unbelievably hard through the program. It's a tough old world and some have a harder time than others... but surely. in the light of such a profound tragedy, journalists must have a resposibility to chose their words carefully. My heart goes out to everyone involved in such a sad and unfortunate accident.
    #13 Susan Lennon Los Angeles, CA · Wednesday Oct 20
      No words can describe how heavy my heart is for the family of the child lost as well as the other girls and the staff at Sunrise.
      Sunrise, for 9 months, was my daughters family and ours.
      I am a parent of a past resident of Sunrise. Although my daughter has been back home for over a year, and we did not know the girls involved, we were very saddened with the news of the accident.

I am so grateful to them for all they have done and will continue to do.
      I will keep you all in my prayers
    #14 Sonia Brookline, MA · Wednesday Oct 20
      The passenger who was thrown from the vehicle is in critical condition and most likely is not going to survive. I hope everyone will extend their thoughts and prayers to the family of this other young woman as well as to the survivors, including the driver, who will have to live with and work through this terrible experience. My heart goes out to all involved, but especially to the families who have lost a much loved daughter and who were clearly doing everything a parent could do to help these young women find their way through the difficult teen years by giving them the opportunity to be at this school. Bless Sasha and bless Grace and bless all these girls and all the boys too who struggle in this world of ours so full of pain as well as of beauty!
    #15 hannah hottenroth Los Angeles, CA · Wednesday Oct 20
      i agree with everyone here. it was an insult to referred to as a troubled teen. i am a past resident of sunrise. the staff and the girls there were my family for 9 months. i agree with my mother susan lennon with everything she had to say.
      though i didnt no any of the girls in the accident my prayers and positive thoughts go out to the families and girls of sunrise academy.
    #16 Ashley Columbus, OH · Wednesday Oct 20
      I too, went to Sunrise for 7 months and I can honestly say that I have never felt so comforted, or loved in all my life then when I was there. I met some of the most amazing people in this world, and most of them are which the media describe as "troubled" along with me being labeled as that. These staff, these girls, are people I still keep in contact with after 10 months of being home. I did not know the girls, but I am deeply saddened by the news. The driver of the vehicle changed my life forever, and I will never in my life forget Sunrise and the experience, God bless the families and God bless Sunrise.
    #17 Twisp Seattle, WA · Thursday Oct 21
      I also knew Sasha. She lingers in my mind as the most inspirational person I have ever met. Although I only knew her for several intense weeks, she has made a lasting impression on me. I feel privileged to have experienced her subtle brilliance, playful personality, caring heart, and perhaps above all, her determination and realness. My love goes out to Julian and Nikki, her friends, and all those at Sunrise. Rest in peace, dear Sasha.
    #18 concered citizen Cambridge, MA · Thursday Oct 21
      To Sunrise ... How come there is no mentioning of the accident and the death of 2 on sunrise website? Gracie died last night, as well. Show some compassion to the families and the broader community
    #19 Anonymous Salt Lake City, UT· Thursday Oct 21
      I too was a Sunrise Girl. While I did attend years ago, I still feel like every staff and girl in there is in a way, my family. I feel that instead of focusing on what the media has decided to label us as, we should be focusing on what a horrible loss this is and if there is anything we can be doing for the girls or Sunrise. The moment I heard, I wanted to run right down there and try to find a way to help, but that isn't exactly the most practical plan. My thoughts and prayers are with the girls and staff of Sunrise, past, present, and future. If I hear of anyway to help ease the pain of the situation or any needs I could help them fulfill, I would be more than glad to help. Girls, let's please remember what we were taught in group..."God, grant me the serenity to except the thing I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
    #20 Momma To Many Los Angeles, CA · Thursday Oct 21
      Dear CONCERNED CITIZEN...
      This accident was less than a week ago... Somehow I don't think that BLOGGING on their website is at the top of the of things to do today.
      Mourning the loss of these Beautiful girls and compassion for their families IS. Don't forget they TOO "SUNRISE" staff as well as the residents are suffering at this time also.
      How about giving them ALL a little compassion and space to do so.

Copyright © 2009 -  KSTU-FOX 13
    Copyright ©2010 Topix LLC

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
    Re: Recent Death of girl at the hands of Sunrise Academy
    « Reply #17 on: October 29, 2010, 05:35:42 PM »
    Reading through the posts it is great to see all the support coming in from previous graduates of SunRise Academy.  There are very few negative posts and the graduates seem to be offended by being called "troubled youths" and enjoyed their time in the program.
    The programs seems to be very structured and geared towards bringing families together.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Re: Topix: "FATAL CRASH UTAH: One dead in SUV rollover..."
    « Reply #18 on: October 29, 2010, 06:01:23 PM »
    Quote from: "Whooter"
    Reading through the posts it is great to see all the support coming in from previous graduates of SunRise Academy.  There are very few negative posts and the graduates seem to be offended by being called "troubled youths" and enjoyed their time in the program.
    The programs seems to be very structured and geared towards bringing families together.
    LOL. I guess you could see it that way... I imagine John David Reuben would too. After all, his pal and partner L. Jay Mitchell is quite familiar with Sunrise Academy, it being one of the programs in the InnerChange group, formerly known as Solacium Holdings LLC. I think at one point, perhaps only in West Virginia, Solacium even went by the name of "Solacium-Alldredge," did it not?

Personally, some of those comments in the above Topix thread strike me as being among the more blatant trolling attempts I've seen in a while. I think Sunrise Academy is desperately trying to put a positive PR spin on this tragedy. Too bad they're doing it at the expense of two dead teenagers.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
    Re: Topix: "FATAL CRASH UTAH: One dead in SUV rollover..."
    « Reply #19 on: October 29, 2010, 06:11:23 PM »
    Quote from: "Ursus"
    Quote from: "Whooter"
    LOL. I guess you could see it that way... I imagine John David Reuben would too. After all, his pal and partner L. Jay Mitchell is quite familiar with Sunrise Academy, it being one of the programs in the InnerChange group, formerly known as Solacium Holdings LLC. I think at one point, perhaps only in West Virginia, Solacium even went by the name of "Solacium-Alldredge," did it not?

Personally, some of those comments in the above Topix thread strike me as among the more blatant trolling attempts I've seen in a while. I think Sunrise Academy is desperately trying to put a positive PR spin on this tragedy. Too bad they're doing it at the expense of two dead teenagers.

I dont see how they could be considered trolling attempts.  Why do posts of positive outcomes always strike you as trolling?  If two people died in a program which you attended you would probably be on-line trying to lend support yourself or at least give your opinion of the place and your experience since it is getting attention.  I know that I would.
    I think the lack of negative posts may be more the telling story.  I think you would agree here (well not openly) lol.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Topix: "FATAL CRASH UTAH: One dead in SUV rollover..."
    « Reply #20 on: November 06, 2010, 12:39:21 AM »
    Here is the rest of that Topix thread:

Original article:
      "
    Girl from London dies in rollover on I-70" (by Aaron Vaughn; October 17, 2010; FOX 13 News).[/list]
    Topix thread:
      "
    FATAL CRASH UTAH: One dead in SUV rollover near Hurricane."[/list]
      "One person died after a SUV rolled on I-70 Sunday afternoon. Six passengers from a youth program were riding in a Suburban on their way from Hurricane to Moab when the vehicle rolled."[/list][/list]

#21 Ellie UK · Thursday Oct 21
        My daughter knew Sasha and just hearing her speak today, there is no doubt that Sasha's old school in Scotland are all feeling the loss of her!

I first heard of her when my daughter mentioned another pupil from her school was fighting for her life after contracting swine flu on a family holiday, this was summer '09 and she was very very ill. I think the fact that she survived that showed she had fight and I'm sure she would've ended up fighting her own 'demons' can I say? and winning if her battle with swine flu was anything to go by.

My heart goes out to Sasha's family at this extremely sad and difficult time.
      #22 Mother of Another Sandy, UT · Thursday Oct 21
        As a parent of two "troubled" children I thank God every day for Sunrise and the programs that helped my other child as well. Children that suffer trauma when young children by a parent and are then left to make sense of this in their teen years need the help of loving, caring, and skilled professionals such as those at Sunrise. When society let my family down, Sunrise was there for us. The two girls who left our world are deeply loved by all of those that knew them. The labeling by the media is just another way that our children and families are let down by society. Let us all reach out to the families of Sasha and Gracie and pray for them during this very difficult time. God bless you all.
      #23 Sunrise Resident Sandy, UT · Thursday Oct 21
        I am a current resident of Sunrise and am offended to be labeled as a "troubled" person. Personally, I don't feel as though society should label people they've never met based on whether or not their in a treatment facility. I've never done drugs, alcohol, or for that matter, never had sexual relations, and yet I'm labeled as "troubled". It's ridiculous.
        For me, I knew Sasha and Gracie and both of them are sorely missed. Not an hour goes by that they aren't thought of. Sasha was full of energy and life, and was always cheering people up. If you were crying, she made you laugh. Gracie was excited, she had just celebrated a birthday. She made connections with everyone and was friendly to all. She always had a smile on her face. As for the driver, I'll just say I know her and she is the one of the most caring and loving individuals I have ever met. She cares about every single one of us and if there was anything that she could have done she would have. Sasha and Gracie, R.I.P.
      #24 Cheryl Hurricane, UT · Thursday Oct 21
        I was employed at Sunrise as a lead supervisor and my heart goes out to everyone involved. I have been trying to find out who the driver was. I can not find any information.
      #25 Sunrise Student Bountiful, UT · Friday Oct 22
        I am also offended about the fact that the community see's us as "troubled." I just left sunrise and i feel like they have done so much for me. I wasn't a very good person and now I am thanks to sunrise.
      #26 Lisa Wilker Charlotte, NC · Monday Oct 25
        I am the cousin of the critically injured student in this accident. Despite all efforts of the surgeons and doctors, she was taken off life support on Wednesday evening October 20th. The family is devastated and our hearts go out to both families who must endure the loss of this horrible accident.
      #27 Anonymos Cedar City, UT · Monday Oct 25
        Quote from: "concered citizen"
        To Sunrise ... How come there is no mentioning of the accident and the death of 2 on sunrise website? Gracie died last night, as well. Show some compassion to the families and the broader community
        I don't think putting that on the web-site will help anything what-so-ever and will certianly not help the program either. I there is a lot of support being offered by all to those who need it whether you or others see it or not.[/list]
        #28 brother Cincinnati, OH · Monday Oct 25
          The teen who was ejected from the front seat was my sister. she died at 11:08 pm EST on October 20th. I just wanted to criticize this article on a point; yes, it isn't smart to wear your seatbelt with only the lap on, but the way the article writes it, it seems to blame her for her injuries, when really the blame lies with a terrible accident which occurred randomly and unexpectedly.
        #29 Sylvie UK · Tuesday Oct 26
          At least the london newspaper reporting this sad story didn't mention the troubled youth remark,it's completely irrelevant anyway.
          So sad to hear the other girl has died as well.

Copyright © 2009 -  KSTU-FOX 13
        Copyright ©2010 Topix LLC

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
        Re: Recent Death of girl at the hands of Sunrise Academy
        « Reply #21 on: November 06, 2010, 06:14:25 PM »
        Readers digest version of the comments:

As a parent of two "troubled" children I thank God every day for Sunrise and the programs that helped my other child as well…..

I am a current resident of Sunrise and am offended to be labeled as a "troubled" person. Personally, I don't feel as though society should label people they've never met…

I was employed at Sunrise as a lead supervisor and my heart goes out to everyone involved….

I am also offended about the fact that the community see's us as "troubled." I just left sunrise and i feel like they have done so much for me.

I am the cousin of the critically injured student in this accident. Despite all efforts of the surgeons and doctors, she was taken off life support…..

The teen who was ejected from the front seat was my sister….. the blame lies with a terrible accident which occurred randomly and unexpectedly.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
        British girl who survived swine flu is killed in US...
        « Reply #22 on: November 07, 2010, 11:43:04 AM »
        Here's the article that Oscar's post linked to, which mentions Natasha Newman's prior battle with swine flu:

London Evening Standard
        British girl who survived swine flu is killed in US car crash
        Mark Prigg

A London teenager who had to be put on a life-support machine after contracting swine flu while on holiday in Greece has died 15 months later in a car crash in America.

Natasha Newman, 17, from Highgate — a former pupil at Gordonstoun, Prince Charles's old school — was killed when the people carrier she was riding in crashed and overturned in Utah.

She was a pupil at Sunrise Academy, a residential school for teenage girls, when the accident happened.

At the end of July last year, Miss Newman fell critically ill with swine flu on the island of Cephalonia, and was taken to hospital in Athens. She suffered respiratory failure, pneumonia and lung damage.

Today, police in Utah said six Sunrise Academy girls were in the Chevrolet people carrier when the driver lost control of the vehicle and it rolled over several times, as the party travelled between Moab and Hurricane in the Salt Lake area. Miss Newman died at the scene.

Her family was said to be devastated. Her father, Julian Newman, who owns north London company J Newman Textiles, has flown out to the US with a family friend.

Another 17-year-old Sunrise Academy girl from Arlington, Massachusetts, was thrown out of the car when it rolled. She was flown to hospital and remained in a critical condition today. The other four passengers were treated for minor injuries at a local hospital.

Police said the investigation into the crash is ongoing, and that just before the accident it is believed the driver was trying to attract the attention of another motorist on a bend. No further details were being released about the people carrier's driver.

"We are deeply, deeply saddened by this terrible tragedy," said Dave Prior, executive director of the academy, which describes itself as helping "girls between the ages of 13 and 17 who are struggling with a range of emotional and behavioural issues".

Mr Prior added: "Our hearts break for our student who was killed, for her family, and for all those who sustained injuries or trauma."

Miss Newman's swine flu ordeal was widely covered in the British media. She was in intensive care for several weeks in Athens before she was finally able to fly home with her father and her mother, Nikki Boughton.

© 2010 ES London Limited

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
        Girl who survived swine flu dies in crash
        « Reply #23 on: November 07, 2010, 03:51:39 PM »
        A (slightly abbreviated) version of that last article even made it as far as Qatar:

Gulf Times · Daily Newspaper published by Gulf Publishing & Printing Co. Doha, Qatar
        Girl who survived swine flu dies in crash

London Evening Standard/London
        Latest Update: Sunday 24/10/2010 October, 2010, 11:59 PM Doha Time

A London teenager who had to be put on a life-support machine after contracting swine flu while on holiday in Greece has died 15 months later in a car crash in America.

Natasha Newman, 17, from Highgate, — a former pupil at Gordonstoun, Prince Charles's old school — was killed when the people carrier she was riding in crashed and overturned in Utah.

She was a pupil at Sunrise Academy, a residential school for teenage girls, when the accident happened.

At the end of July last year, Newman fell critically ill with swine flu on the island of Cephalonia, and was taken to hospital in Athens. She suffered respiratory failure, pneumonia and lung damage.

Police in Utah said six Sunrise Academy girls were in the Chevrolet people carrier when the driver lost control of the vehicle and it rolled over several times, as the party travelled between Moab and Hurricane in the Salt Lake area. Newman died at the scene.

Her family was said to be devastated. Her father, Julian Newman, who owns north London company J Newman Textiles, has flown out to the US with a family friend.

Another 17-year-old Sunrise Academy girl from Arlington, Massachusetts, was thrown out of the car when it rolled. She was flown to hospital and remained in a critical condition. The other four passengers were treated for minor injuries at a local hospital.

Police said the investigation into the crash is ongoing, and that just before the accident it is believed the driver was trying to attract the attention of another motorist on a bend.

No further details were being released about the people carrier's driver.

"We are deeply, deeply saddened by this terrible tragedy," said Dave Prior, executive director of the academy.

# #

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
        Swine flu leaves Gordonstoun girl fighting for life...
        « Reply #24 on: November 08, 2010, 11:23:12 AM »
        Here are some articles from back when Natasha Newman was fighting the swine flu which are still accessible on the Net:

NEWS.scotsman.com
        Swine flu leaves Gordonstoun girl fighting for life on Greek holiday

Published Date: 31 July 2009
        By MARTYN McLAUGHLIN

A PUPIL at one of Scotland's most prestigious schools was fighting for her life in a Greek hospital last night after contracting swine flu.

The news came as the Scottish Government estimated there were more than 4,000 new cases of the virus last week and the UK government revealed 110,000 new cases in England and Wales over the same period.

Natasha Newman, who attends Gordonstoun public school in Moray, remains in a "very serious" condition in an intensive care unit in Athens after falling ill while holidaying on the island of Cephalonia.

Doctors in Greece said Ms Newman, 16, had contracted the illness in Britain, and did not seek treatment until her symptoms became critical.

The principal of Gordonstoun said the schoolgirl's family were going through a "horrible situation".

The girl is understood to have been hospitalised after developing a dangerously high temperature and severe breathing difficulties.

Ms Newman, from Highgate in north London, is being comforted by her parents, Julian Newman and Nikki Boughton, who are at her bedside.

She left London three weeks ago with her parents and sister Lauren for a month's holiday. It is not thought she had any underling health problems.

A spokeswoman for Mr Newman's company, J Newman Textiles, said: "This is a very distressing and worrying time. Our thoughts are with them."

Dr Zoe Beka, who is treating the teenager at Penteli Children's Hospital, said: "The outlook is very serious. She is receiving a number of different treatments including Tamiflu and antibiotics.

"There is no doubt that she contracted the illness while in London – but there was a delay in her receiving treatment.

"She carried on with her holiday."

Mark Pyper, principal of Gordonstoun, said: "This was a private family trip. Her parents told me what the situation was yesterday.

"Obviously we really hope she gets better, and soon, in what is a quite horrible situation for the family."

A Foreign Office spokeswoman said the family was receiving consular assistance.

In Scotland, figures released yesterday by Health Protection Scotland showed that about 4,300 people contracted swine flu last week.

The rate of GP consultations for flu-like symptoms has increased slightly over the period to 55 from 47 per 100,000.

About 10.6 per cent of community samples tested positive for swine flu – similar to the figure of 10 per cent last week.

Four people are continuing to receive treatment in hospital. They include Sharon Pentleton from Saltcoats, who remains in a "critical but stable" condition in a Swedish hospital. The 26-year-old, who is expecting her second child, was flown to Stockholm for specialist care last week.

Health secretary Nicola Sturgeon said: "The figures show a slight increase in the number of people consulting their GP with flu symptoms, but the rate of people testing positive for H1N1 remains stable."

In England and Wales, 793 patients are being treated in hospital, down slightly on the figure of 840 last week.

Justin McCracken, chief executive of the Health Protection Agency, said the number of new cases last week could range from 60,000 to 160,000.

But Chief Medical Officer Sir Liam Donaldson said a number of indicators suggested the situation had peaked.

He said: "I think we are a little more confident we may be seeing a downturn in this flu at the moment."

REASSURANCE FOR BREASTFEEDING MOTHERS

NEW mothers with swine flu are being urged to carry on breastfeeding, following confusion over the issue.

The Breastfeeding Network charity said it had received dozens of calls from worried women told to stop breastfeeding their babies by their GP or midwife.

Lesley Backhouse, the network's chairwoman of directors, said the charity understood experts were in "a difficult position" and were wary about giving "hard and fast" advice.

"However, what we know is that, at the moment, H1N1 is transmitted like normal winter flu – by sneezing and direct contact," she said.

"Mothers pass antibodies to infections they have had through their breastmilk, and so help the baby fight those infections.

"For a mother who is otherwise healthy to stop breastfeeding because she has swine flu is such a shame – for her and her baby.

"If a mother is ill, she should continue breastfeeding as normally as possible. If she becomes too ill to feed then expressing milk may still be possible.

"If the baby does become ill with swine flu then breastmilk makes an ideal food as it is easily digestible and will provide additional comfort for the baby too.

"Babies who are ill sometimes want lots of short feeds."

Ms Backhouse said babies who are breastfed are much less likely to need hospital treatment for severe chest infections than bottle-fed babies.

"What has also been shown in a recent study of almost 16,000 babies is that once babies stop being breastfed, this protection wears off."

Mothers taking antiviral drugs to combat swine flu should also carry on breastfeeding.

She said: "Breastfeeding mothers can continue feeding as normal while receiving antiviral treatment, because the amount in her milk is too low to affect the baby."

Last Updated: 30 July 2009 9:52 PM

All rights reserved ©2010 Johnston Press Digital Publishing

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
        Swine flu: British girl fights for life in Greece
        « Reply #25 on: November 08, 2010, 12:34:48 PM »
        Another oldie:

Telegraph.co.uk
        Swine flu: British girl fights for life in Greece

Natasha Newman, a British schoolgirl infected with swine flu while on a family holiday in Greece, is fighting for her life, according to reports.

By Ben Leach
        Published: 8:56AM BST 30 Jul 2009

The 16-year-old is on a life-support machine after suffering lung damage and complications believed to be linked to swine flu, according to the Daily Express.

The teenager, known as Sasha, had been island hopping with her family but was admitted to hospital on the island of Cephalonia.

She was flown to the country's main children's hospital in Athens on Tuesday after her condition deteriorated and she became unconscious.

Her parents, businessman Julian Newman and theatrical agent Nikki Boughton, are at her bedside. Mr Newman said: "Natasha is very bad. She has chronic respiratory failure. She has complications like pneumonia."

Doctors at the Ayia Sofia children's hospital have described the teenager's condition as "very grave".

Dr Lina Sianidou, head of the intensive care unit, said: "There is no doubt that she is suffering from swine flu. She is in a critical condition and very much struggling.

"It is clear she had this new virus for at least eight days before she sought help and that has made her condition worse."

Another hospital doctor, who asked not to be named, said: "Her condition is very grave. She was in a very bad state, running a very high temperature when she got here. She developed acute breathing problems and eventually lost consciousness in Cephalonia."

The family left their £1 million house in Highgate, north London, three weeks ago for a month's holiday. Mr Newman owns north London company J Newman Textiles Ltd.

Natasha is a pupil at prestigious public school Gordonstoun in Elgin, Scotland, where Prince Charles attended. She has recently completed her GCSE exams and is a keen musician.

Medical authorities said they were not aware she has underlying health problems. Natasha is one of three swine flu victims in intensive care in Greece, authorities revealed.

© Copyright of Telegraph Media Group Limited 2010

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
        Soldier dies after contracting swine flu
        « Reply #26 on: November 08, 2010, 02:21:20 PM »
        Newman's battle with swine flu was also mentioned in the following article; bold emphasis added:

The Independent
        Soldier dies after contracting swine flu

By Matt Dickinson, Press Association
        Tuesday, 4 August 2009

A soldier was revealed today as the latest patient to die after getting swine flu.

Bombardier Lee Porter, from Coleraine in Northern Ireland, died last week, two weeks after contracting the bug. He had underlying health problems.

The 30-year-old member of the Royal Artillery is thought to be the first UK serviceman to have fallen victim with the bug.

According to the Sun, Bombardier Porter died on Friday at Frimley Park hospital in Surrey.

That would make him the 28th person known to have died after getting swine flu in England.

A spokesman for the Ministry of Defence said: "It is with great sadness that the MoD must confirm the death of Bombardier Lee Porter, who contracted Swine Flu two weeks ago, which complicated existing health problems.

"Our thoughts go out to his family, who were at his bedside at the time."

Friends paid tribute to him on social networking site Bebo.

Kelly Treacy wrote: "Lee, u were always so good to me and looked out for me like I was ur little sister. U were so kind to me and never let any1 give me any hassle, regardless of their rank."

Robert Deans added: "RIP, mate. You will be missed by all at 207 Bty. You were a great guy and full of life, Deansy."

And Marky said: "RIP lee, i dont think words can describe just how much that u will b missed. a one in a million guy!"

Elsewhere, a British schoolgirl was on a life support machine in a Greek hospital.

Natasha Newman, 16, from Highgate, north London, is being treated in Athens after falling ill on the island of Cephalonia.

Doctors at the intensive care unit of Penteli Children's Hospital described her condition as serious but stable.

Some 150,000 people in the UK have received the anti-viral drug Tamiflu via the National Pandemic Flu Service, which launched 10 days ago.

Bombardier Porter's family today thanked friends for the support they had shown and said in a brief statement issued through the Ministry of Defence in Northern Ireland that they wanted to be left alone to grieve "at this tragic time".

A total of 22 Britons are in quarantine worldwide because of swine flu and are receiving assistance, a spokesman for the Foreign Office said.

However, he said the true figure could be higher as not everyone would seek help from the Foreign Office.

©independent.co.uk

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
        London girl, 16, is critically ill with swine flu in Greece
        « Reply #27 on: November 08, 2010, 11:14:59 PM »
        It turns out that Mark Prigg, who wrote the above London Evening Standard article "British girl who survived swine flu is killed in US car crash," also reported on her former ordeal:

London Evening Standard
        London girl, 16, is critically ill with swine flu in Greece

Mark Prigg, Science and Technology Editor

London schoolgirl is fighting for her life in a Greek hospital after contracting swine flu while on holiday.

Natasha Newman, right, was taken to hospital in Athens with swine flu while on holiday

Natasha Newman, 16, from Highgate, is on a ­life-support machine after suffering lung damage and other complications. Doctors this morning described her condition as "critical but stable".

The teenager was admitted to hospital on the island of Cephalonia but after her condition deteriorated and she became unconscious she was flown to Athens. Doctors at the Agia Sofia children's hospital say Natasha had swine flu for at least eight days before seeking help.

Her parents, Julian Newman and Nikki Boughton, were at her bedside. Mr Newman, a businessman, said: "Natasha is very bad. She has chronic respiratory failure. She has complications like pneumonia."

Dr Lina Sianidou, head of the intensive care unit, said: "There is no doubt that she is suffering from swine flu. She is in a critical condition and very much struggling. It is clear she had this new virus for at least eight days before she sought help and that has made her condition worse."

Natasha is believed to have developed a dangerously high temperature and severe breathing difficulties.

Although the family live in Highgate, Miss Newman is a pupil at Gordonstoun public school in Elgin, Scotland, where Prince Charles was a pupil.

A keen musician, she has recently completed her GCSEs and left London three weeks ago with her parents and sister Lauren for a month's holiday. She was not thought to have underlying health problems.

Her father owns north London company J Newman Textiles.

Natasha is one of three swine flu victims in intensive care in Greece.

News of her condition sparked panic on Cephalonia, where doctors at the General Prefectural Hospital in the main town Argostoli initially refused to treat her.

Tourists have been blamed for spreading the virus in Greece.

"Greece is particularly vulnerable because of its location at the crossroads of Europe and Asia and because this is the tourist season when so many start arriving from northern Europe," said one official.

Health minister Dimitris Avramopoulos has pledged to unveil an emergency plan.

© 2010 ES London Limited

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
        Comments: "London girl, 16, is critically ill with swine flu
        « Reply #28 on: November 08, 2010, 11:38:44 PM »
        Apparently Natasha even became a bit of a poster girl for swine flu awareness! A somewhat less then fully observant reader stated:

"Who IS this woman in the stock photo being used to cover every story about swine flu? I am really sick of seeing her - can you use another photo please?"[/list]

Comments left for the above article, "London girl, 16, is critically ill with swine flu in Greece" (by Mark Prigg, 30.07.09, London Evening Standard):

- Sandra, London, 30/07/2009 11:22
            Unfortunately Greece's public hygiene standards are quite low and in some cases third-world like (their notorious lavatories in which you are not allowed to flush down the drain the toilet paper but urged instead to bin it in baskets!).
            Wish Natasha speedy recovery!
          - Sheila, london uk, 30/07/2009 14:24
            She was ill for eight days! It beggars belief that her dim parents took this long to seek treatment Oh the ignorance of the British public To my mind completely thick, never listen to their bodies, no wonder we have epidemics. I have no sympathy at all for fools like this
          - Smb, London, UK, 30/07/2009 15:40
            Who IS this woman in the stock photo being used to cover every story about swine flu? I am really sick of seeing her - can you use another photo please?
          - Jackie, London, 31/07/2009 07:48
            smb,the red-haired girl is the victim Natasha Newman,therefore the photo is relevant
          - Jade, hampshire, 31/07/2009 16:18
            im greek , and i dont see how she caught over in greece and i no we have poor lavatories
          - Yank In Greece, Athens, Greece, 31/07/2009 16:32
            Unfortunately, the Greek press is causing all this panic. Take this article which discusses Natasha's case and the doctor saying she contracted the virus in London.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_ar ... 009_109427

Thousands die every year from the normal flu season and we don't see this type of paranoia.

Bravo to the Brits for their cool demeanor and not panic mongering like the Greeks.[/list]
          - Andrew, Elgin, Scotland, 02/08/2009 11:16
            Well, many people have severe and complicated health issues before they decide to go to the doctors because they believe that it will get better by itself like how it normally does. My father is practicing medicine himself and says that most of the patients he gets are in late stages of illnesses before they seek help. I used to go to school with Sasha and to see comments like "I have no sympathy at all for fools like this" really is quite disturbing on how little people sympathize with people who are in critical condition.

© 2010 ES London Limited

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
          Gordonstoun pupil Natasha Newman critically ill ... swine fl
          « Reply #29 on: November 10, 2010, 03:30:57 PM »
          And... just one more, 'cuz I happened to have it handy:

The Times
          July 31, 2009

Gordonstoun pupil Natasha Newman critically ill with swine flu in Athens

Melanie Reid

A pupil from Gordonstoun School was critically ill in a Greek hospital last night after falling ill with swine flu while on holiday.

Natasha Newman, 16, was in a "critical but stable" condition in Athens after becoming sick on the island of Cephalonia. Her parents, Julian Newman and Nikki Boughton, from London, are at her bedside.

Natasha, who attends the school in Elgin, Moray, is believed to have developed a dangerously high temperature and severe breathing difficulties.

Dr Lina Sianidou, head of the intensive care unit at the Agia Sofia Children's Hospital, said that her condition had worsened as she had not sought help for eight days. "There is no doubt that she is suffering from swine flu," the doctor said.

"She is in a critical condition and very much struggling. It is clear she had this new virus for at least eight days before she sought help."

A spokeswoman for her father's business, J. Newman Textiles, said: "This is a very distressing and worrying time. Our thoughts are with them."

Figures released by the Scottish government yesterday showed a slight increase in people contacting their doctor with flu-like illnesses in the past week but the numbers testing positive for H1N1 were similar to last week.

Health Protection Scotland estimates that 4,300 people have contracted H1N1 in the past week. Four people remain in hospital, including Sharon Pentleton, 26, a pregnant woman from Ayrshire who is being treated in Stockholm, Sweden.

Nicola Sturgeon, the Health Secretary, said: "Today's figures show a slight increase in the number of people consulting their GP with flu symptoms but the rate of people testing positive for H1N1 remains stable."

© Times Newspapers Ltd 2010