Author Topic: Mormon Church...General Conference  (Read 4942 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Mormon Church...General Conference
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2004, 09:43:00 AM »
So basically, every *tax-paying* man, woman and minor child was supporting Green's polygamist lifestyle.

Book 'em Dano!

:smokin:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2004, 12:13:00 PM »
I've run accross some serious reading on poligamy as it's defined in Semetic religions (i.e. religions of the people of the Bible region... you know, Palestine, Samaria, Babalon.... )

As I understand it, in times of war when a good many men were killed, the religious/political leaders would adjust the rules to allow wealthy men to "adopt" the widows and orphans of their deceased fellow countrymen.

It was never intended or described in any scripture prior to the Morman religion as a means of filling up the planet w/ indigent children.

Babylon in all its desolation is a sight not so awful as that of the human mind in ruins.
-- Scrope Davies: Letter to Thomas Raikes, May 25, 1835.

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2004, 06:37:00 PM »
Polygamy was practiced throughout the Old Testament-- not just when men died in wars.  All of the patriarchs of the Jewish faith (Abraham, Isaac and Jacob) had multiple wives.

I think there are some very good arguments for polygamy-- if the man can support multiple wives, which is the only way it was allowed in traditional societies.

To wit, if wife one and two etc. can get along, isn't it better for them to combine households and not deprive one set of children of a father as would occur during a divorce?  Also, you have built in baby-sitting which allows for cheaper childcare than you'd have in a divorce situation and allows women into the workforce with greater ease as a result.  

It mitigates the two major problems that divorce causes children-- 1) economic decline because running two households is more expensive than running one and 2) lack of contact with Dad.

Between consenting adults, then, it's a way better option in terms of "family values" than divorce.  BUt I doubt you'll see any conservatives making this case.

I know some people say it would cause immigration problems, but that could be solved by saying that -- as they do in the UK-- polygamy is fine but you can only bring one wife here from your country of origin.