Author Topic: Mormon Church...General Conference  (Read 4970 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Mormon Church...General Conference
« on: October 04, 2003, 01:45:00 PM »
General Conference today 10/4 and tomorrow 10/5.
10:00 and 2:00 MST.  On TV and radio.
Everyone might learn something new! :wave:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2003, 02:21:00 PM »
On 2003-10-04 10:45:00, Anonymous wrote:

"General Conference today 10/4 and tomorrow 10/5.

10:00 and 2:00 MST.  On TV and radio.

Everyone might learn something new! :wave: "

No thanks, after reading about the plight of THE CHILD BRIDES, I have no interest in learning anything about a religion with a history of violence against women and children.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2003, 02:44:00 PM »
The Men don't get off Scott Free - do a little reading on Blood Atonement.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2003, 05:36:00 PM »
Before Utah could become a state in 1895 or 96, the church gave up their position on plural marriage.  From that time on ANYONE practicing polygamy was excommunicated~ which means that they DO NOT belong to the Mormon church.
The people of Hilldale and Colorado City where plural marriages runs rampant are committing unconscionable acts against innocent young girls. They are NOT law abiding citizens of either state (Utah and Arizona) and again I reiterate, they are NOT MORMONS :exclaim:  :exclaim:  :exclaim:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2003, 11:33:00 AM »
They handle the polygamy thing a different way now.  Rich Mormons marry and divorce several women in succession and continue to cohabit with all of them because the church does not recognize civil divorce.  A rich Mormon's obituary will read "The deceased is survived by his wife Jennifer and his ex-wife Sarah and his ex-wife Joan and blah blah blah."  (Every wife gets her own house so this is very much a RICH Mormon passtime.)  Theoretically the first wife is supposed to be the special one, so once the harem is fully stocked, Hubby remarries her for keeps.  

Of course the downside of this is multiple mothers-in-law.  I guess they figure this way they're sure to go to heaven, beacuse they've done their time in Hell.  

When you understand the culture of hypocrisy that its founders grew up in, you begin to understand WWASP.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2003, 01:37:00 PM »
http://www.utlm.org/newsletters/no100.htm#Polygamy

While the Mormon Church leaders no longer allow their members to practice polygamy, they will not remove Joseph Smith?s revelation concerning plural marriage from the Doctrine and Covenants. Although this book is canonized as one of the four standard works of the Mormon Church, it is not usually given to outsiders. Many non-Mormons who live outside of Utah have told us that they could not obtain this book from the Mormon missionaries. The church is apparently embarrassed by the polygamy revelation which appears in that book.

The revelation, dated July 12, 1843, contained the following:
"Verily, thus saith the Lord unto you my servant Joseph, that inasmuch as you have inquired of my hand to know and understand wherein I, the Lord Justified my servants Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, as also Moses, David and Solomon, my servants, as touching the principle and doctrine of their having many wives and concubines?
"Behold, and lo, I am the Lord thy God, and will answer thee as touching this matter.
"Therefore, prepare thy heart to receive and obey the instructions?
"For behold, I reveal unto you a new and everlasting covenant; and if ye abide not that covenant, then are ye damned; for no one can reject this covenant and be permitted to enter into my glory?.
"And let mine handmaid, Emma Smith [Joseph Smith?s wife] receive all those that have been given unto my servant Joseph, and are virtuous and pure before me; and those who are not pure, and have said they were pure, shall be destroyed, saith the Lord God?.
"And again, as pertaining to the law of the priesthood ? if any man espouse a virgin, and desire to espouse another? he is justified; he cannot commit adultery with that that belongeth unto him and to no one else.
"And if he have ten virgins given unto him by this law, he cannot commit adultery, for they belong to him and they are given unto him; therefore is he justified." (Doctrine and Covenants, Section 132, verses 1-3, 52, 61-62)
Smith secretly entered into plural marriage taking many wives for himself. In addition, he encouraged the brethren to do the same. In 1887, Assistant Church Historian Andrew Jenson made a list of 27 women who were sealed to Joseph Smith. (Historical Record, Vol. 6, page 233) More recent research, however, demonstrated that the number 27 was too small. Mormon writer John J. Stewart believed that Smith married "three to four dozen or more" (Brigham Young and His Wives, 1961, pages 30-31)

Joseph Smith?s revelation regarding polygamy caused serious difficulties for faithful Mormons who followed him. After Smith?s death Brigham Young, the second prophet of the church, continued to stress the importance of plural marriage. On June 3, 1866, Brigham Young declared:
"We are told that if we would give up polygamy?which we know to be a doctrine revealed from heaven, and it is of God and the world for it?but suppose this Church should give up this holy order of marriage, then would the devil, and all who are in league with him against the cause of God, rejoice that they had prevailed upon the Saints to refuse to obey one of the revelations and commandments of God to them ? Will the Latter-day Saints do this? No; they will not to please anybody." (Journal of Discourses, Vol. 11, page 239)
On August 19th, 1866, Brigham Young strongly admonished his people to continue the practice of plural marriage:
"The only men who become Gods, even the sons of God, are those who enter into polygamy... I heard the revelation on polygamy, and I believed it with all my heart ? ?Do you think that we shall ever be admitted as a State into the Union without denying the principle of polygamy?? If we are not admitted until then, we shall never be admitted." (Journal of Discourses, Vol. 11, page 269)
On another occasion President Brigham Young warned: "Now if any of you will deny the plurality of wives and continue to do so, I promise that you will be damned?" (Deseret News, November 14, 1855)
President Young, like Joseph Smith, was very emphatic about the need for his people to practice polygamy. In 1873, he gave this stern warning:
"Now, where a man in this church says, ?I don?t want but one wife, I will live my religion with one,? he will perhaps be saved in the Celestial kingdom; but when he gets there he will not find himself in possession of any wife at all. He has had a talent that he has hid up. He will come forward and say, ?Here is that which thou gavest me, I have not wasted it, and here is the one talent,? and he will not enjoy it but it will be taken and given to those who have improved the talents they received, and he will find himself without any wife, and he will remain single forever and ever." (Deseret News, Sept. 17, 1873)
The reader will note that the quotations above were taken from the church?s own publications, Deseret News and Journal of Discourses.

Recently a revelation given by Joseph Smith, which has been suppressed for over 140 years, has come to light. Although Mormon leaders have never published this revelation, they have referred to it and admitted that it was given to Joseph Smith in 1831. They maintain that it supports the doctrine of polygamy and that it is a forerunner to the revelation on polygamy?given July 12, 1843?which still appears in the Doctrine and Covenants as Section 132. . . . Mr. Marquardt learned what appears to be the real reason why the revelation has been suppressed. This is that the revelation commanded the Mormons to marry the Indians to make them a "white" and "delightsome" people.

Political Kingdom of God
The May 1967 issue, no. 14, of the Messenger was titled "The Mormon Kingdom." In it we discussed Smith's efforts to establish the political kingdom of God on earth, even having himself ordained King, and the secret Council of Fifty. We quoted Apostle John Taylor's statement:
"We do believe it, and we honestly acknowledge that this is that kingdom which the Lord has commenced to establish upon the earth, and that it will not only govern all people in a religious capacity, but also in a political capacity." (Journal of Discourses, Vol. 7, page 170)
This topic was later covered in D. Michael Quinn's two volumes, The Mormon Hierarchy: Origins of Power and The Mormon Hierarchy: Extensions of Power.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2003, 05:47:00 PM »
"Rich Mormons marry and divorce several women in succession and continue to cohabit with all of them because the church does not recognize civil divorce"

This seems like pure fiction.  The only divorced mormons that I've ever met are usually poor, male or female. OK, except for Marie Osmond.  How rich are we talking?  They would have to be "low profile" non-public figure Mormons.  How many divorces has J.W. Marriott had? Is Donny Osmond rich enough?  I guess the political Mormons can't.  That's probably the best reason to stay away from the Mormons:  Too many dang republicans- Like Orin Hatch!  All of the right wing fanantics are hell bent on destroying our precious freedoms (and our precious bodily fluids!)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2003, 06:12:00 PM »
On 2003-10-04 14:36:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Before Utah could become a state in 1895 or 96, the church gave up their position on plural marriage.  From that time on ANYONE practicing polygamy was excommunicated~ which means that they DO NOT belong to the Mormon church.

The people of Hilldale and Colorado City where plural marriages runs rampant are committing unconscionable acts against innocent young girls. They are NOT law abiding citizens of either state (Utah and Arizona) and again I reiterate, they are NOT MORMONS :exclaim:  :exclaim:  :exclaim: "

What's the story on the couple who kidnapped Elisabeth Smart?  Was she really brainwashed by her captors?  Also, were the kidnappers members of the Mormon church or members of one of these bizarre offshoots?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2003, 02:57:00 PM »
This seems like pure fiction. The only divorced mormons that I've ever met are usually poor, male or female. OK, except for Marie Osmond. How rich are we talking? They would have to be "low profile" non-public figure Mormons. How many divorces has J.W. Marriott had? Is Donny Osmond rich enough? I guess the political Mormons can't. That's probably the best reason to stay away from the Mormons: Too many dang republicans- Like Orin Hatch! All of the right wing fanantics are hell bent on destroying our precious freedoms (and our precious bodily fluids!)

FICTION?????
Narvin Lichfield, owner of Dundee Ranch and Carolina Springs Academy divorced his wife in Utah to marry a prostitute from Costa Rica!!!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2003, 08:01:00 PM »
IMHO althought I am not Mormon, I dont think we should bring religion into this. Not saying that it isnt a factor, but mixing the religion can be sticky.  Hey, religion and politics is very sticky.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2003, 10:14:00 PM »
I agree with the last post. Just because someone is a certain religion does not mean that they are a good example of it. People make mistakes. Even screw up royally sometimes. That does not mean that everyone that is the same religion as them beleives what they are doing is right. Sometimes those people are even mentally ill and they say they are doing the insane things they are doing because of their religion. Let's face it there are bad eggs in every religion period. We have to not be so ignorant as to look at those people who are clearly sick and say that is what that religion is all about!!!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2003, 11:03:00 PM »
Ditto.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2003, 11:47:00 PM »
Seems to me if someone who is a member of the Mormon church, publicly claims they have a "calling" to work with troubled teens, then the question of how their religious beliefs and values impact the care and treatment of the youth they serve is a valid one.  

:smile:

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2003, 11:59:00 PM »
Ditto.
This discussion sounds familiar, and the same conclusion I arrived at.
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... forum=9&36
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2003, 12:19:00 AM »
Yes, I agree that any person, no matter what religion they are, in a position of authority over any child or adolescent or adult for that matter is totally and completely responsible to make sure they act with the utmost intregrity showing care and having only the best interest of the client and family in mind. It seems as though their personal religious beliefs should not be brought into it by others or themselves. Saying you have a calling to work with troubled teens might mean they feel that is something they are destined to do with their life. It is surely not a "calling" given to them by any church. I completely agree with the two posts above the last one. We need not be ignorant!!!!! Let's hold individuals accountable, not religions :exclaim: