Author Topic: Many Many Programs Abuse Kids  (Read 10497 times)

Offline Dysfunction Junction

• View Profile
Re: Many Many Programs Abuse Kids
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2010, 02:00:20 PM »
Did you not see the links in Shadyacres' post?  You can start there and there's lots of other information re: Aspen Education all over the web.  Just do a search on "Aspen Education" and "abuse."  You'll get lots of articles and reports showing that ASR and other Aspen programs are still using the same methods as Straight and CEDU (both closed for abuse) to name a few.

After you read up please let us know what you find about the abuses at Aspen Education facilities.  There's a lot out there, but maybe you will find someting new.  It seems like they are either getting charged with abuse or killing some poor kid every few months, according to the documentation already available.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Compassion is the basis of morality."

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2010, 02:00:54 PM »
Quote from: "DannyB II"
Who and what are we basing this factual information on, one poster.

Ummmm, from the post directly above yours.  Were you dropped on your head as a chid?

Quote from: "Dysfunction Junction"
Their facility Mount Bachelor Academy was shut down for systemic child abuse last year by Oregon DHS authorities.  Aspen has had many abuse problems and several negligent deaths at their facilities (e.g. Sagewalk - shut down after killing a child last year).  
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2010, 02:05:20 PM »
As a result of an intensive onsite investigation and audit of the school the OCCS reverses all previous statements and stands behind the Academy at Swift Rivers’ high standards of education and continuing cooperation with the State of Massachusetts  and is in good standing.  The Academy of Swift River is a fully accredited institution with an astounding record of placing 100% of its graduates at the college of their choice.
We could only hope that our public school system could duplicate their process and effort in providing the assistance and dedication to young people as they do.

Wow,  Thats a big turn around.  The OCCS fouond that sometimes it is better to review  the school first hand instead of relying on hearsay.  Its always good to look at the timelines, bad reviews can be deceptive.

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2010, 02:25:09 PM »
Wierd, I just did a Google search on the previous poster's "quotation" of OCCS and there was only one hit - the post he just wrote.  Sadly, this poster felt the need to make up "evidence" in the absence of being able to refute what several investigations have shown.

Why is this poster fabricating information like this?  He must have a financial stake in Aspen Education because that whole statement he just posted is pure fiction.

Lying doesn't help your cause.  It only proves you have no facts upon which to base a valid argument.  That's a pretty desperate move, IMHO.

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2010, 02:35:30 PM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"

Ummmm, from the post directly above yours.  Were you dropped on your head as a chid?

Their facility Mount Bachelor Academy was shut down for systemic child abuse last year by Oregon DHS authorities.  Aspen has had many abuse problems and several negligent deaths at their facilities (e.g. Sagewalk - shut down after killing a child last year).  

I was talking about Thomas C, report. I thought Slim Shadys comments were in response to that.

I, was dropped on my head, ya noticed, awwwwwwwwwwww..blushing!!! :-[
Now, what the hell is your problem.  :whip:   :wall:......pick one?????  :rofl:
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2010, 02:38:38 PM »

I was talking about Thomas C, report. I thought Slim Shadys comments were in response to that.

I was put in Straight for two fucking years.  :twofinger:

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2010, 02:42:34 PM »
Interesting...Danny, you asked me for sources when they were already posted, but this other guy "Whooter" just posted a completely fabricated "OCCS statement" and you didn't even ask him to account for its origin, which is his own head, BTW.  I thought Danny was "anti abusive program" but he he supports the fallacious postings of "Whooter" who just openly lies.

In reading through "Whooter"'s posts, it seems like he has quite the reputation here for being "a liar" and having "financial ties to Aspen Education Group," as I suspected he did.  Did you know he was just making up stuff to cover for abusive programs, Danny?  Where's the accountability for these lies?  Shouldn't Fornits hold his feet to the fire for making up these ficticious "reports"?

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2010, 02:43:38 PM »

Yeah, your still the head cheer leader and valedictorian 30 years later, Straight is not your problem Anne.
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2010, 02:46:20 PM »
Wierd, I just did a Google search on the previous poster's "quotation" of OCCS and there was only one hit - the post he just wrote.  Sadly, this poster felt the need to make up "evidence" in the absence of being able to refute what several investigations have shown.

Why is this poster fabricating information like this?  He must have a financial stake in Aspen Education because that whole statement he just posted is pure fiction.

Lying doesn't help your cause.  It only proves you have no facts upon which to base a valid argument.  That's a pretty desperate move, IMHO.

I couldnt find this one either, maybe it is the OCCS or something.  Hmmm...

It (OCCS) cited the school for "using behavior management techniques which subject students to verbal abuse, ridicule and humiliation, denial of sufficient sleep, and repetitive exercise as a response to an infraction of a rule."

OCCS also cited the school for monitoring students' telephone calls and mail. The agency said that the right to privacy in communications, even for juveniles, can be restricted only by court order -- for example, if a therapist believes that the teen's communication should be monitored, perhaps to support a young person through a crisis in relations with his or her family -- and then only temporarily.

The citation struck at another bone of contention between the state and ASR. A few months ago OCCS found itself at odds with ASR over whether the school needs to be licensed in Massachusetts as a treatment center, something College Health Enterprises had not done. ASR officials seemed to be having it both ways by enforcing rules usually associated withtreatment programs for people with emotional or behavioral disorders, but refusing to have the school licensed as a treatment center

But from the wording I would assume they are in the same thread and together they make sense:

As a result of an intensive onsite investigation and audit of the school the OCCS reverses all previous statements and stands behind the Academy at Swift Rivers’ high standards of education and continuing cooperation with the State of Massachusetts  and is in good standing.  The Academy of Swift River is a fully accredited institution with an astounding record of placing 100% of its graduates at the college of their choice.
We could only hope that our public school system could duplicate their process and effort in providing the assistance and dedication to young people as they do.

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2010, 02:49:18 PM »
No, you just made that statement up.  Why would you lie like that to promote child abuse?

The article I quoted was already sourced in this thread by Shadyacres ( I quoted directly from his citation) and none of what you wrote was in it.  In fact, nothing you wrote exists on the internet anywhere except your post.  Why did you fabricate that false information about ASR?

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2010, 02:52:11 PM »

Yeah, your still the head cheer leader and valedictorian 30 years later, Straight is not your problem Anne.

No, I just don't want anyone else to go thru what I had to endure.

Offline shaggys

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2010, 03:37:47 PM »
When I was in a program, kids were prevented from having any contact whatsoever with their families until the staff approved of it. Some kids went months and even years without having an unmonitored conversation with their parents. I consider this to be very abusive. It is my understanding that similar methods are used in many teen treatment facilities today.

Offline thomasC

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2010, 04:17:58 PM »
Quote from: "shaggys"
When I was in a program, kids were prevented from having any contact whatsoever with their families until the staff approved of it. Some kids went months and even years without having an unmonitored conversation with their parents. I consider this to be very abusive. It is my understanding that similar methods are used in many teen treatment facilities today.

Yes, this is how it was in my program and every other I've heard of.  The first phone call took at least 3 months and a graduation to "level 3", which required attending at least 1 Lifesprings-style seminar.  All of them were monitored, of course, and disconnected if students were to practice any "manipulation".  They lasted 15 minutes and took place every two months to once a week on upper levels.  Of course, any time you did a level drop it would mean a loss in phone priveleges as well until you could earn those points back.  A very clever system for denying communication.  "Really, it's just so they can focus on the program instead of trying to manipulate you into getting out."  You can break someone's will in 3 months easily under those conditions.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2010, 04:19:42 PM »
Quote from: "shaggys"

I remember that there was one kid who didn’t have any contact with his father at all.  It turned out that his father was abusive towards him.  They tried working with the father, I guess, but it didn’t work too well.

I think sometimes not being able to see certain friends or family members is done for a good reason.  I am not saying this is the case with your experience, but I just happen to remember that when I read your post.  The same goes for receiving letters and packages.

At ASR the kids went thru a wilderness program and had no contact with their families until they reached the main campus.  The family contact was not held out as a reward.  It occurred every week while the child was on campus.

Offline shaggys

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2010, 04:53:52 PM »
So according to Whoot the kids in programs are denied contact with their families to prevent them from being abused by their family members? What?