Author Topic: CEDU lifeboat  (Read 10947 times)

Offline Samara

• View Profile
Re: CEDU lifeboat
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 02:16:30 PM »
They will assign for maximum cruelty. One of the ones they enjoyed assigning is a bathing suit-beauty role for someone dealing with weight issues.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 02:34:07 PM »
Oh, that’s just messed up. Were these always stock characters that they assigned? If so, about how many were there and what were they?

I ask because the melodrama and psychodramas that occurred in Daytop were more subtle than what seems to have been at play in these workshops—in that the role playing played out differently (more like confront this scenerio as if you were ______ and of course scream and cry) and the costumery was reserved for LEs and the like. This was typically restricted to signs and props denoting condemnations of being something along the lines of toxic, baby, stupid etc. I do remember one group where we played what’s described above as the lifeboat thing, but I don’t remember it as a reoccurring element or an aspect of ascending from one tier to another.

How many workshops were there?
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline Samara

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 02:54:47 PM »
I think staff could devise whatever ones they wanted. Whatever hurts the most. But many were replayed. People don't like to talk about it, and you are sworn to secrecy. Some got lucky and had a role that didn't humiliate them as much as others.  That's ok - they'd get their dish served up at other points during the 5 or 7 day summit.

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 02:56:54 PM »
5-7 DAYS?  :eek:
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2010, 03:01:01 PM »
And this is the kind of shit that passes for "therapy", even today inside programs.   ::)  ::puke::
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Samara

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2010, 03:13:09 PM »
Yep, 5-7 days of experentials.

Raps were several times a week for four hours a pop. But every so often, we'd have a propheet (series of experentials in an isolated, highly manipulated environment, deprived of sleep etc.)... the propheets could be 24 hours to a week. Your last propheets were workshops lasting 3 days to a week so if you wre not sufficiently fucked up before you certainly were by the end of it. It was just endless psychodramas, experentials, brutal encounter groups and dyads and humiliating role playing.  

All propheets were enshrouded under a huge cloud of secrecy. Divulging the program would be a big a$$ no-no.  

After the torture and isolation from the rest of the school, you came back in a big joyous dance-a-thon to show to all who have not participated that you were "Saved." Hallelujah,baby! Truth was, you were just so damn happy to be out of it, you were elated.

Offline lifeboat

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2010, 04:22:38 PM »
Quote from: "Inculcated"
Understood and THX for the answer. What other kinds of characters were there? Were they assigned or selected?
Additionally: what was their stated purpose of the Winnie the pooh thing?

- Indiana Jones
- Peter pan
- Cnderalla

They were assigned

The purpose of Winnie the poo was to "role play" when I was angry.  I could "take a look at myself."

Offline Gonzotherapy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2010, 05:34:06 PM »
Well, I won the lifeboat. I lived. So David Gilcrease can suck it. That exercise was stupid as hell. Stupid seminars...

Offline lifeboat

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2010, 05:13:11 AM »
The funeral

This was a very hard experience for me.  I could never imagine seeing my friends mourning for me the way that I saw them from outside the casket.  I started to think about my brother, sister, when I was watching my friends walk away from me.  Reading the epitat sucks to read because I had to write about how other people saw me.  Reading that made me really sad when I started reading about my grandma and the fun we used to have when I was swimming in her pool.  I was very sad when I read last messages.  Some of my best friends were on there.  Reading off the last statements made me really sad in general.  I some tears in peoples eyes that were my good friends.  I saw my cousin ***** really hurting, I saw my best friends Megan, Am****a and Alex very sad.  I saw my brother and sister at the funeral and that made me really sad because they are the only two left out of my family.  My sister was saying, "My favorite big brother died" and I got really sad when I thought about about how my brother would be screwed with.  He has seen quite a bit in his own life.  I also imagine that the casket was right next to my moms and we were talking.  I thought about her allot in the Summit workshop.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 09:43:22 PM by lifeboat »

Offline lifeboat

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2010, 05:42:11 PM »
http://wiki.fornits.com/index.php?title ... %28CEDU%29

The Funeral    

This is a follow-up to the lifeboat exercise, and is done the next day. It begins by the staff telling the students that the lifeboat sunk, so everyone drowned. The participants are then required to write their own epitaph, and read it in front of the group. After the student finishes, they go and lay on their backs on the floor. When everyone is prone, students are subjected to guided imagery that they are getting buried. This exercise in the 70s also involved the students getting covered in comforters, simulating dirt being thrown on top of them. However, too many students were panicking and vomiting, so that practice was abolished. During the guided imagery part, staff will occasionally call out names of people who have died that individuals in the peer group knew. The staff then states that the students may sit up when, and only when, they are ready to get on with their life.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 11:56:43 PM by lifeboat »

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2010, 10:48:10 PM »
Quote from: "Inculcated"
Oh, that’s just messed up. Were these always stock characters that they assigned? If so, about how many were there and what were they?

I have my summit notebook, stored away in my "box of crazy"  underneath the stereo. You can peruse it if you want, next time you come over for absinthe or whatever the poison du jour happens to be. (I still have that bottle in the freezer, btw.) The notebook's certainly got some weird ass shit in it, yo, but most of it is just sad and pathetic.

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2010, 11:52:05 PM »
@T.A.C. Well as you know, I’m compelled to be a bit of a Pandora when signing for some boxes of crazy. Others of my own creation are disguised as subtle little accents throughout the décor at my place. I’d be very interested to see your Summit notes. We’ll definitely have to pick the right poison for that. The Absinthe preparation was tedious --as it involved such a prolonged upper body workout.

Re: The Funeral Hmmm, another interesting similarity...In Daytop we had a group where we had been asked to write and read aloud our own eulogy. We weren’t given much time to jot these down, let alone to prepare something considered. We also had to pass around a candle and blow it out in turns. I missed the point of the exorcise. Instead of writing the expected along the lines of condemnations disguised as sorrow (something like “Oh,if only she had acted as if instead of acting out blah-blah blah”) I did mine wrong. I wrote something real into expressing the probable sentiments of the “hypothetical” panegyrist’s true laments. That didn’t go over well.

Offline lifeboat

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2011, 09:00:20 AM »
The I Want to Live propheet

Pillow Pounding   Students are separated into groups of 5 or 6. One at a time each student had to be up on their hands and knees with the rest of their group surrounding them in a circle. The rest of the group pushed down on their back while the student had to push to stay up. Then they placed a pillow in front of them and the student had to repeatedly "pound" the pillow.

I remember who put weight on my back 17 years later.  What are children supposed to do because they cannot split?  There were people so psychologically damaged (myself) before going to RMA, that I was susceptible to brainwashing.

Offline TheIntegrity!

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2011, 12:47:09 PM »
The lifeboat experience was so disturbing! I wanted to tell the staff to go die. I wish i could go back to Monarch, since i am older now and let the staff know how I really feel  :twofinger: .     It sucks knowing that that the staff who ran these workshops have no trouble getting to sleep at night and view themselves as great people doing  the world a invaluable service. Tim Earle was the most egotistical bastard ever. He once force a kid in group to run in place and yell for 15 minutes in front of like 20 people. Of course, this isn't wrong because tim was just trying to help the poor kid " get into his feelings".

Offline lifeboat

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2011, 10:23:25 PM »
It took me many years to understand their actions were wrong.