Author Topic: CEDU kid that hung himself recently?  (Read 16664 times)

Offline face_in_a_case

• View Profile
CEDU kid that hung himself recently?
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2004, 11:34:00 PM »
Julie Stewart!!! Shit I lost all your guys' info.  All these names bring back memories.  I can hardly recall much on my own without being reminded.  My brain at that time was so addled on psychotropics.

Yeah, I remember Maria.  She really went far...really messed up girl.  I remember when we talked a lot on her bunk.  Bonnie was kinda like her.  I think I had to babysit both of them at different times.

hmmm...I think I was in Avila's last rap.  I remember the whole thing.

yeah, we all ended up in bca
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Hell on Wheels

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2004, 10:20:00 PM »
[ This Message was edited by: Hell on Wheels on 2004-07-10 23:49 ]

Offline blownawaytheidahoway

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2004, 11:29:00 AM »
I would like to have contact with this ex staffer. Light, is there any chance of that? You sound articulate enough to help me in my new struggle. I am examining my present and am deeply affected by RMAzing things of the past. I was stripped searched by Richard Armstrong needlessly 16 years ago today!!!
I am starting to srite a memoir and I have just started reading and writing postings. I am in contact with noone from my time there. Please respond, LIGHT!!!
Life is a very wonderful thing.\' said Dr. Branom... \'The processes of life, the make- up of the human organism, who can fully understand these miracles?... What is happening to you now is what should happen to any normal healthy human organism...You are being made sane, you are being made healthy.
     \'That I will not have, \' I said, \'nor can understand at all. What you\'ve been doing is to make me feel very very ill.\'
                         -Anthony Burgess
                      A Clockwork Orange

Offline blownawaytheidahoway

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2004, 11:53:00 AM »
Life is a very wonderful thing.\' said Dr. Branom... \'The processes of life, the make- up of the human organism, who can fully understand these miracles?... What is happening to you now is what should happen to any normal healthy human organism...You are being made sane, you are being made healthy.
     \'That I will not have, \' I said, \'nor can understand at all. What you\'ve been doing is to make me feel very very ill.\'
                         -Anthony Burgess
                      A Clockwork Orange

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2004, 12:13:00 PM »
What I would like to stress to CEDU is that some kids have real physical problems like schizophrenia and bipolar disorder and this psychobabble feelings crap will not help them. They need to learn to diagnose these true mental disorders and send these kids to facilities where they can get the proper treatment.

Offline mudbone357

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2004, 11:30:00 PM »
I know this is a real old post, I don't know if you're still on this site sometimes.  I was wondering if this is you, Ed.  If it is, you mentioned me... I'm doing fine.  If it's you, i'd love to talk to you, I've thought about you often over all these years.  If not, I've got another idea about who it is, and if so, I'd love to talk to you too.  Let's get this thread going again.  In the least, John deserves to have someone talk about him and remember him.  PG 58. NYC. Steega.
ever Again

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2006, 05:25:00 PM »
Holy crap. I was just googling myself and found myself up here in the middle of high school again. My name is Dave Stites and I remember all these people and the day Jon Avila hung himself, and all of that. It was fun playing ping pong in the old lodge and so forth; talk about a forum you never thought would exist. I'm more than a little blown away that it's out there. I know this board's been abandoned for something like two years by the look of it, but I wanted people who are out googling quasi-randomly away to find this when they do. I'm 29 now and I remember how tragic everything seemed when I was at RMA, how each day was a struggle, and it was just unbearable. It took me years to decompress from the expectations that I would have so many feelings about everything. I really wanted everybody to shut up and leave me alone, not because I was so tortured from within, but because I was being tortured from without; not a day went by that somebody wasn't invading my whole psyche, who had no business doing it. I won't be so petty as to name names, but adults who enjoy doing that kind of work, shouting at teens who they think need to cry every day, probably shouldn't be doing that kind of work.

I live in Minneapolis and am married and do pharmacy work. My wife is a nurse. We met at the hospital, in a spot about ten yards from where I am writing this, on an elevator. I was friends with Chet Johnson, but then he blew off my wedding (where he was supposed to be an usher) and he is dead to me now. I still talk to John Kriz all the time. He still has small teeth and large gums. Rob Lund lived here for a while. So did Jeremy Blank, that cat killer. I'm a watchmaker now, in my last year of school. I anticipate moving somewhere (maybe overseas) to begin my career next January. John Kriz should know where I went, in case anyone wants to get ahold of me. My virtual address is daleshipley@(fakebit).gmail.com.

Regrets? Yeah. Never telling Shannon Wilson how goddamn crazy she (and most of the rest of the women at the school) was.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2006, 05:40:00 PM »
He was hangin' in there like Micheal Hutchens

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2006, 02:48:51 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
John is dead, he killed himself, there is nothing anyone can do. Suicide is the easiest murder of them all. It would be impossible to prove. I do need to find his parents, because every year flowers need to be placed on a headstone in Texas..........

this topic is old, but i want to clarify some things.....Suicide is not impossible to be proved a murder. Off the top of my head I can think of three child suicides where the caregiver was found guilty of causing it. In one case the mother forced her teen to work as a stripper, in the other the mother didnt keep the house clean(?).

Of course, the things done to the kids at CEDU are far worse  than these acts of abuse and neglect. The brain is deliberately damaged to induce derrangement and feelings of worthlessness. Their perception of total powerlessness over their perdicament is not just what they are deliberately induced to feeling, it is an accurate assesment .  Overwhelming feelings of powerlessness and worthlesness are  among the most major causes of suicide. So is the beleif that death is the only way to escape a terrible situation. Unfortunetly, this is not just something they are terrorized into beleiving (be at Cedu or u will die),it is an accurate assessment .The kids cannot escape the horror- they are prisoners, and if they manage to runaway they will be hunted down and returned. Their attempts to explain they are being abused are unbeleived or dismissed as the proper was to treat a subhuman "troubled teen".

The law is not at fault here, only the authorities are who are too corupt or complaisant to enforce it

Also, I dont know if you meant any harm, but calling a child who commited suicide ugly and slow is disrespectful. Besides, while I cant speak to how fuckable the child was, you really werent in a position to measure his intelligence. Albert Einstein was considered a fool into his teens. Assumabley, someone around Einstein was  smart and well educated and even without being a teen in a gulug they couldnt gage such a thing correctly Also obviously, Cedu is not the sort of place where a timid fightened young intelect is provided a hatchery to develop and reveal itself.

If you know anyother suicides to come out of cedu please contact [email protected] in the position of intimately knowing a child before and after cedu- he commited suicide afterward and so can testify that Cedu was the cause. Mabye if we can get together we can not just charge civilly ..but put them away for the rest of their life in the prison they deserve

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2007, 02:49:08 AM »
Quote from: ""mudbone357""
I know this is a real old post, I don't know if you're still on this site sometimes.  I was wondering if this is you, Ed.  If it is, you mentioned me... I'm doing fine.  If it's you, i'd love to talk to you, I've thought about you often over all these years.  If not, I've got another idea about who it is, and if so, I'd love to talk to you too.  Let's get this thread going again.  In the least, John deserves to have someone talk about him and remember him.  PG 58. NYC. Steega.

In case you're looking at this Matty, throw a post up.

Offline ObieGoodman

• View Profile
Re: CEDU kid that hung himself recently?
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2011, 07:17:53 PM »
I am Obie Goodman. I just discovered this site. I was kind of wondering if something like this existed.
Just for clarification, I did not run and make it home. We (Holly, Shauna, & I) left at night and hiked through the woods along the clearcut that follows the power lines over the mountain. We were being hunted and tracked by the bounty hunters almost the whole time. we were apprehended the next day in Bonners Ferry. They tried bring me back to RMA to put me in a jumpsuit and booth but I went ape-shit. I ran around smashing the place up with staff chasing me for about an hour. Tony finally tackled me and restrained me (illegally). Then I went to ASCENT, completed that program & then went home. :cheers:

Offline jharsan

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2011, 10:50:53 PM »
Quote from: "HandsOutLight"
I'm out of the closet - I'm a former CEDU Therapist too. May the Great Spirit forgive me. I heard a boy hung himself again (recently) at RMA or BCA. Any truth to that?

A lady told me the parents fly in on a corporte jet. I knew a boy and family like that.

Does anyone know who it was? I would be very sad, but I must have the truth so I can grieve or let it go.  :cry:

Light

I don't know about this recent event but I know of many CEDU people who have committed suicide. One was Kim Quigley, a staff member who put a shotgun in his mouth and blew his brains out. Any of those "behavioral" psycho-babble programs are evil.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2011, 01:11:26 PM »
Quote from: "Aether"
I do not believe it was by chance that I should come across this topic. As a former BCA student, this topic is relevant to me for several reasons.

I vividly remember the first day I got there, August 24th 2010. I was fresh out of wilderness and had not even showered yet, and I finished eating lunch in the Clifty dining hall. Two students approached me and asked if I wanted to check out an unused dormitory with them. Being naive and unknowing of what was in store, I figured it couldn't hurt. It was only when I walked up the first floor of the dorm that they explained why they brought me there; the dorm was called Camelot, and was the site of a suicide in the early 90's at the former school on the property (RMA as I later learned). They made me look through the window as no curtains were blocking the view, to see the sprinkler pipe where this boy hanged himself. It was still slightly bent, adding an eerie and ominous feeling to the sight. I was frightened, as I had only been at the school for a few hours and I was already receiving a picture that wasn't pretty about the place.

The subject was tabooed at BCA; while no one received consequences for discussing the subject, the staff and faculty never discussed it. Some who were unaware of the legitimacy of the story tried to brush it off as false. Students were generally immature about the matter, and chose to perpetuate this campus legend by joking about "the ghost of Camelot". When we had barbecues by the pond, we were never allowed to go up there because the staff were aware of how the story had been spread amongst students since it occurred. It was never brought up during last lights or workshops, as an unwritten rule.
Do you think it's possible that he may have hung himself there, in full view of all, at least partially as a warning?

I was personally offended by the matter, because I felt it was so inappropriate to make fun of an innocent kid who took his own life; it doesn't matter how long ago it happened, because the fact that it happened at all was tragic. I am so against anyone having to experience the kind of hazing I went through, because it's not fair to new students who are so desperate to find something positive about the school. I grew tired of people exploiting the story, and got after people when they talked about this subject with disrespect. However, I realized that a lot of it just had to do with the fact that these people were teenagers, and often didn't know what they were doing or talking about. I was able to discuss this subject with a select few people (including staff who had worked at both schools during the incident) who knew I was the kind of person who could handle the subject maturely, and I felt like it was a learning experience. I think there was a silver lining in the story, because according to their accounts (which I felt were reliable) despite what happened, this boy was the happiest he was in his life because he had gotten away from the problems he was dealing with at home. Apparently, not only did the parents not sue the school, but because of this realization as a tribute they had his ashes spread on the Quest trail.

Ultimately, I realized that the greatest tribute we can pay to those who have passed away is to move on and live our own life; in the end, I only wish more people at BCA had felt the same way I did about this subject.
Ya mean, as a consequence of being the happiest he had ever been in his life... he committed suicide?  :eek:

I guess Rocky Mountain Academy simply wasn't able to impart the appropriate coping mechanisms for so much happiness!
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2011, 11:38:42 PM »
Please, you must not misunderstand me; I am not at all undermining how shady things were at CEDU programs during that time, and I know what I am saying sounds paradoxical... What I was trying to get at is that from a trustworthy source told me, he was pretty much brand new; he had only been at RMA for a couple of weeks before he committed suicide, and there's two ways you can look at this: it did so much damage in so little time, or conversely, the small amount of time he was there shows that it may have not necessarily had anything to do with the school, but rather how broken he already was, and that it ultimately had more to do with himself; the 1994 article from the Spokesman-Review concerning the event is archived on the internet (http://www.teenliberty.org/RMA.htm) and it states that he had apparently been taking medication for bipolar disorder, which from firsthand experience I can say these kinds of medicines only made me feel worse. The worst part about this story is, according to the article, he was found by another student... I want to be adamant about that I have the utmost respect and sensitivity towards these kind of people who were in so much pain that they couldn't take it anymore, and their story ended in tragedy. What I am trying to say is that from what I have heard, amongst the people who were cruel to him, he found people who genuinely cared about him and were true friends, something that this person had not been accustomed to before he went to the school.

Again, I want to be firm about the fact that my intention was to voice my respect for this poor kid's memory in the midst of all the people who missed the point and did not take it seriously. I'm more for what you believe than you could ever imagine, so I am asking with compassion, love and mercy that you do not misconstrue my message.
Oh, I don't think anyone here would misconstrue your heartfelt intentions. And if they did, they're probably grappling with some sociopathic propensities that, imo, are best left ignored. Although I might diverge a bit from your overall analysis of the worth and meaning of the experientials you went through at BCA, that's hardly all that important, is it? After all, these are your experiences and your thoughts and I'm just interjecting my two cents, relative to my take on things, in part heavily colored by *my* experiences (at a different program), and which you can take or leave, as you wish...

Fwiw, I've followed your posts with interest, though I haven't responded 'till this here thread. You have a real gift with descriptives. The image of the bent pipe in the distance, seen through the unadorned naked window, was a metaphorical homage to this kid that few could have evoked so eloquently and so earnestly. It was haunting, even for someone who wasn't there.

In closing, here's an excerpt from a recent post by someone who went to CEDU Running Springs, who survived two suicide attempts, and who is still trying to parse his/her time in program:

It has left me in a weird type of limbo that I don't understand and longing for experiences that don't exist in the real world and probably shouldn't have existed at CEDU either. As sick as this may sound, I probably would have been content to stay at CEDU forever and put up with the soul-crushing techniques employed there in order to experience that strange sense of closeness with other human beings that comes after the peculiar, induced, emotional discharges that occur in raps and propheets.[/list]
    -------------- • -------------- • --------------