Author Topic: PS student expelled for pot brownie sale, gets sent to HYDE  (Read 14556 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Comments: "Expelled kids face uncertain road back," #s 1-20
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2010, 08:12:25 PM »
Here are comments left for the above article in the OP, "Expelled kids face uncertain road back" (by Kelley Bouchard, Oct. 3, 2010; The Portland Press Herald), #s 1-20:

Confused said... October 3, 2010 at 12:17 AM
    Hey, only gave a kid pot. According to all the pro pot people out there, nothing should have happened. It's only a weed right?
Wyatt said... October 3, 2010 at 12:51 AM
    What happened to the student that ate the brownie? He should have been expelled too.
XPortlander said... October 3, 2010 at 5:56 AM
    Give him a hug...signed I AM Liberal. Mrs. Bauman...first lesson you need to teach your son.....LIFE AIN'T FAIR.
Pamela057 said... October 3, 2010 at 5:59 AM
    Ok a little punishment is ok..but this is his 1st offense...he should have been suspended but not taken out of school....come on people....I thought you were here to help these students not break them for the rest of their lives...I say get a hold of our President and see what happens.
lupinelover said... October 3, 2010 at 6:25 AM
    This is tricky as I do believe in a rehab model but why should kids who do not choose substance abuse be forced to associate with those who do? Since school is compulsory I beleieve there should be 0 chances on this. What needs t change is the level of supervision of teens. They are generally not chaperoned and if a parent tries to insist that the school be more vigilant they are alled helicopter parents. The parent who wants to be included in their child's educational team in any menaing ful way is shunned and discouraged after the elementary level.
violettaswan said... October 3, 2010 at 6:43 AM
    What a surprise! Lyman Moore Middle School in Portland has almost twice the number of incidents of any school in Portland. That school is horribly disfunctional, and the staff is capable only of double talk. It's like trying to deal with Yogi Berra.
Peetree said... October 3, 2010 at 7:41 AM
    Ah, you have to admire the kid's entrepreneurial spirit. Although he brought it on himself, his predicament shines a light on bloated bureaucracy at its finest. Portland is lucky to have Dr. Morse.
Peetree said... October 3, 2010 at 7:47 AM
    Just for fun:D. bu·reauc·ra·cy –noun, plural -cies. 1. government by many bureaus, administrators, and petty officials. 2. the body of officials and administrators, esp. of a government or government department. 3. excessive multiplication of, and concentration of power in, administrative bureaus or administrators. 4. administration characterized by excessive red tape and routine.
cHRsbmQyZnJwdA%3D%3D said... October 3, 2010 at 8:16 AM
    Let's all shed a tear for the over privledged under supervised drug dealing son of wealthy parents. Nevermind the untold number of kids who are facing their own drug problem that was either prompted or enabled by this kid. Do you think he'll see the error of his ways as he endures a $47,000 private education? Boo hoo.
DR_NO said... October 3, 2010 at 8:27 AM
    This is a consequence of the zero tolerance policies everyone supported in the past.
henryelm said... October 3, 2010 at 9:20 AM
    I applaud Bouchard for providing a thorough and more importantly BALANCED view in these three articles She kept the spin to a minimum, although the headline writer did not. 1. A NO tolerance policy came with the Columbine( and subsequent) school shootings. No one in charge of buildings full of children were willing to take any chances. The community demanded that their children be safe and protected FROM their potentially dangerous peers. It was not a time to allow for second chances. Too much was at risk-- like other people's children. 2.It's always a balancing act and a heavy responsibility to keep ALL children safe. What if you make the wrong "call"? 3.Schools are where the children are---ALL of them , even the troubled ones.
jack33 said... October 3, 2010 at 9:27 AM
    All expelled students should be given a chance to return. No one should have the rest of their life screwed up for a civil-type crime or stupidity.
henryelm said... October 3, 2010 at 9:42 AM
    4.Schools have a hierarchy of disciple. The rules are clearly defined, discussed and well known. Knowing the rules ahead of time facilitates children following them. The first week of school EVERY classroom in America defines the classroom rules WITH the students participation. Kids aren't blindsided. The rules and consequences of breaking them are KNOWN. 5 The rules are reasonable and ALL students are capable of following them. Most of them do. 6 The school rules( and consequences of violating them) are sent home to parents in the school hand book annually, so parents can know the rules and support their children and the schools in following them. Parents aren't blindsided. 7 The hierarchy of offense and discipline is clearly defined. 8 Some students struggle with following the rules. They get help.
1Keith1 said... October 3, 2010 at 9:44 AM
    I've never heard of anyone going to the ER because of pot. Why was he taken there?
Iwatch said... October 3, 2010 at 9:45 AM
    Being an honor roll student, you'd think he would have had the judgement not to do this stupid thing, but kids are kids. Agree with the expulsion but perhaps there should be an alternate program (usually schools love programs)in which those enrolled have a stigma to overcome and not make it a big joke. As stated, not many can afford private school. I hope this kid learned his lesson and I hope the victim learned his.
biddguy said... October 3, 2010 at 9:50 AM
    Tough call. Although I tend to agree about zero tolerance, every case is different, and past behaviors should be taken into account. It's not easy finding the balance. If these kids don't have an avenue for return and drop out, we've failed them. And they'll become a drag on all us in the future, i.e., life of crime, welfare, etc.
biddguy said... October 3, 2010 at 9:50 AM
    Tough call. Although I tend to agree about zero tolerance, every case is different, and past behaviors should be taken into account. It's not easy finding the balance. If these kids don't have an avenue for return and drop out, we've failed them. And they'll become a drag on all us in the future, i.e., life of crime, welfare, etc.
Orly said... October 3, 2010 at 10:03 AM
    She had enrolled him in drug counseling six months earlier...............Mkay looks like all the facts are hidden some place to me.
Merv said... October 3, 2010 at 10:04 AM
    Goes to the hospital. For a pot brownie. Clearly there's more to this story, which is so often the case in a situation like this - the school is basically prohibited from telling THE TRUTH, meanwhile the parents run roughshod over the situation and the press eats up their sanitized version.
homeboy said... October 3, 2010 at 10:22 AM
    I'm not sure what caused the writer to comment on Lyman-Moore Middle School, but my experience there with Mr. Crocker and his staff was completely the opposite of what was described. My child receieved a very good education, and each and every one of the people with whom we had dealings was professional and helpful. Quite frankly, I would have had my child stay there for high school if I could have! Sounds to me like the writer is the parent of one of those expelled! If your child acts up beyond a point whereby they become a danger to themselves and their school, then the adminsitration has no choice but to remove them for the safety of everyone. I am less concerned about the return of the offending student than I am about the population as a whole. My alma mater just had two students terrorize a classmate with a camera, which resulted in the young man committing suicide. Who really wants those two back at that institution---ever? Certainly not me, nor most Rutgers graduates.

Copyright ©2010 MaineToday Media, Inc.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
Re: PS student expelled for pot brownie sale, gets sent to H
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2010, 08:22:11 PM »
I guess I'm not alone.
?©?€~¥@

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2010, 08:31:45 PM »

Let's all shed a tear for the over privledged under supervised drug dealing son of wealthy parents. Nevermind the untold number of kids who are facing their own drug problem that was either prompted or enabled by this kid. Do you think he'll see the error of his ways as he endures a $47,000 private education? Boo hoo.

I applaud Bouchard for providing a thorough and more importantly BALANCED view in these three articles She kept the spin to a minimum, although the headline writer did not. 1. A NO tolerance policy came with the Columbine( and subsequent) school shootings. No one in charge of buildings full of children were willing to take any chances. The community demanded that their children be safe and protected FROM their potentially dangerous peers. It was not a time to allow for second chances. Too much was at risk-- like other people's children. 2.It's always a balancing act and a heavy responsibility to keep ALL children safe. What if you make the wrong "call"? 3.Schools are where the children are---ALL of them , even the troubled ones.

Nope, your not alone.
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2010, 08:38:40 PM »
We wouldn't even know about this I it were not a kid.Think about it. A high school pot bust? First offence?
WHAT THE FUCK!!!

I have nothing more. I'm gonna blow a gasket.
?©?€~¥@

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2010, 08:39:41 PM »
Quote from: "DannyB II"

I know.....GATEWAY DRUG......watch out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This could have been under the category "More Zero Tolerance Fun".

Yes, because pot led to the Columbine tragedy.   ::)
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2010, 08:43:18 PM »
I'm gonna go burn one. Maybe the vein in my forehead will go down
?©?€~¥@

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2010, 08:46:10 PM »
Quote from: "none-ya"
I'm gonna go burn one.

Excellent idea!  I'll join ya!  :rasta:

Maybe the vein in my forehead will go down

Don't let the bastards get ya down!  Fuck 'em!  :twofinger:
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Comments: "Expelled kids face uncertain road back," #s 21-40
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2010, 12:42:07 PM »
Comments left for the above article in the OP, "Expelled kids face uncertain road back" (by Kelley Bouchard, Oct. 3, 2010; The Portland Press Herald), #s 21-40:

DefNotADem said... October 3, 2010 at 10:25 AM
    jack33 said... All expelled students should be given a chance to return. No one should have the rest of their life screwed up for a civil-type crime or stupidity.//// By law they are allowed to apply for reentry at any time. The school board has to hear the request in executive session. Here is a great overview of how it works and the rules/laws.
http://www.ptla.org/kla/parents/education/expulsion.htm[/list]
DefNotADem said... October 3, 2010 at 10:26 AM
    Pamela057 said... Ok a little punishment is ok..but this is his 1st offense...he should have been suspended but not taken out of school....come on people....I thought you were here to help these students not break them for the rest of their lives...I say get a hold of our President and see what happens."/////// HELLO he was dealing drugs !!!!! He could have killed someone. This is a major offense and is considered a class B crime by Maine law if it is within 1000ft of a school. Get real. These people SHOULD be removed from school. I have presided over 20+ expulsion hearings and they are one of the most effective discipline tools that schools have. There is due process and student actually gets a trial just like in court. 9 times out of 10 the student comes back (reenters) a totally different person. The key though is to have a defined re-entry plan that includes counseling, correspondence courses and community service.
homeboy said... October 3, 2010 at 10:30 AM
    Ms. Baumans's son has yet to complete his transit through the legal system. Why should she think that he should be now eligible to return to the school system where he committed the crime? At least wait to see the outcome of that case before asking for reinstitution to that school system. The family may want to consider moving to another community...fresh start and all.
henryelm said... October 3, 2010 at 10:36 AM
    9. Expulsion is the LAST step in the hierarchy. It is reserved for the most serious violations of the rules ( usually those that endanger themselves or others).It would be rare for someone to be expelled without having had other SERIOUS violations, first( and many second chances).It is rarely used. All steps are taken to try to avoid it. Some times you can't avoid it.
henryelm said... October 3, 2010 at 10:42 AM
    10. School have to consider the safety of ALL of other students in their charge. 11. Some students ARE a danger to others, no matter how much help and support you provide. 12. In this case he was engaged in criminal activity. 13. No you are not allowed to sell drugs in (or near) school. Other parents might frown on it. Schools have a zero drug tolerance policy too. IF he was an adult, he would probably BE in jail. 14 it IS balancing act, which is why some discretion is needed to fit the discipline to the act( and the student's record). 15. I would bet EVERY school expels a student caught selling drugs. 16. It's pretty serious violation of the school rules( and the law).
goinbroke said... October 3, 2010 at 10:54 AM
    It's not the rules you break, it's "if you break the rules". If you get bounced for a year, just take the rap. Simple enough thats how life is. Stop sniveling.
henryelm said... October 3, 2010 at 10:55 AM
    Don't know if this was the first time he got caught or not. BUT some offenses go straight to the top rung, expulsion. Usually the violation that result in expulsion are clearly stated (and well known) in school policy. I'll bet selling drugs is at the top in ANY school's policy. Can you imagine the OTHER parent's reaction, if a person apparently selling drugs was allowed to return to their kid's school, without some clear assure, it would NEVER happen again? Come on you all would be all over that.
chuckc said... October 3, 2010 at 11:01 AM
    Remember in high school you thought that adults were really stupid and lots of life didn't make any sense? Well in my opinion, no one is more spot-on than high schoolers. He sold some weed. Whoop-dee-do. So let's not give him an education? Yeah, no one who sells weed ever does anything good with their life (except half the friggin population.) Don't you think that putting a kid out of school is a great way to make bad habits worse? Isn't that why public officials are always trying to get "at-risk" kids IN to school - to keep them from getting mixed up in drugs and whatnot? He's a grown up. Don't punish him like a child - let him live his own life (which in my opinion, shouldn't have the state regulating herbs.) Call me an old lefty, but sometimes the youth see through all the BS we older people patch together to make up this "civilization" we cherish so much.
kay said... October 3, 2010 at 11:05 AM
    They are still children. Aren't these the years that we are still "teaching" them, helping them to develop. Whether it be at school, driving, church/synagogues ...they take classes to learn. Just because they may look like an adult, doesn't mean they are one.
MaineMan said... October 3, 2010 at 11:19 AM
    Fact: If we keep expelling students from school with no recourse, we had better start building more prisons to house them as adults.
henryelm said... October 3, 2010 at 1:14 PM
    Don't know any details and don't want to. It looks like may have he gotten a 1 year suspension for "endangering an other", not a life sentence(and even that isn't clear). Usually a school would say you need to do x before you can come back(like go to drug rehab, counseling, court). Maybe they didn't do X , or want to do X. Who knows? Clearly if there were only 108 expulsion, it is NOT a big factor in the drop out rate. Yes the conditions for being able to return should be clear. I'm guessing they were.
VXBDb3VudHJ5 said... October 3, 2010 at 1:36 PM
    chuckc from one old left to another, I also knew kids who thought it might be "fun" to give kids drinks and brownies laced with drugs just to see what happened. That may be why the kid went to the ER - he might not have known anything was in the brownie. I believe kids need to be able to redeem themselves, but when their misdeeds impact other people, there has to be a serious element of accountability involved.
Iwatch said... October 3, 2010 at 3:47 PM
    Another thing, this kid could get thrown out of private school for less. As a rule, privates have stricter standards. This is why parents pay the big bucks.
MudDoctor said... October 3, 2010 at 3:58 PM
    probably ended up in the ER with panic attack. why is no one holding the buyer accountable?
25tolife said... October 3, 2010 at 4:00 PM
    Many people are encouraging and promoting the use of marijuana, including some parents and the PPH. The kid and his mom got what they deserved. Maybe the pot supporters and promoters can pick up the bill for this kids private schooling.
Q0FtZU5I said... October 3, 2010 at 6:06 PM
    Bonny Eagle Middle School told me it was "too much paperwork" to expel the girl who was repeatedly hitting my daughter. After being called to the school a few times a month for 5 months, I had had enough and told my daughter to go pack her locker. I pulled her from school that day and we moved to get her into a better, safer school. Once after this girl cross-checked my daughter into the lockers, my daughter yelled at her to leave her alone and guess what they did??? Bonny Eagle gave BOTH girls detention and put this bully girl in the same detention as my daughter! Sat them right next to each other! CRAZY!! Bonny Eagle is the worst school!
SL said... October 3, 2010 at 6:22 PM
    He committed a felony on school property that resulted in injury of a fellow student. Why do his parents feel he even deserves to be in school with others that are there to learn? Another example of fine parenting, kids will be kids...bury your head in the sand and keep thinking that. I am amazed at parents today and their 'jersey shore' kids. Party party party. Only kids who want to learn and aren't problematic deserve to be in public schools...parents should pay for kids that wish otherwise.
DefNotADem said... October 3, 2010 at 6:23 PM
    Bonny Eagle gave BOTH girls detention and put this bully girl in the same detention as my daughter! Sat them right next to each other! CRAZY!! Bonny Eagle is the worst school!//// Bonny Eagle does more expulsions than most. Its too bad they didn't handle your situation the way they should have but they are not shy to expel students. You had to deal with terribly lazy administrators unfortunately. Middle school students have been expelled for such things before at that school.
DefNotADem said... October 3, 2010 at 6:32 PM
    kay said... They are still children. Aren't these the years that we are still "teaching" them, helping them to develop./// This is not about what is best for this one student but the student body as a whole. The law says "for the peace and usefulness of the school." not "what is in the best interest of the student".
Blue+Fish said... October 3, 2010 at 7:00 PM
    Ms. Bauman is a homemaker according to the story. I guess she's never heard of home schooling. I would think she'd have the time and the mental ability (since she's a physical therapist) to help him complete his studies. You know, there is such a thing as a GED and it works to get you into college or the military. But, then again, the military may not want him if he's dealing.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Comments: "Expelled kids face uncertain road back," #s 41-57
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2010, 10:31:16 AM »
Comments left for the above article in the OP, "Expelled kids face uncertain road back" (by Kelley Bouchard, Oct. 3, 2010; The Portland Press Herald), #s 41-57:

queenharvest said... October 3, 2010 at 7:04 PM
    ok,so a kid got food poisoning. and to all of you "outraged" good samaritans, i am truly sorry no one ever offered you a joint, cause you could use it more than most, you are all so angry i wish that you would all take some weight off your shoulders and be more open minded, accept knowledge
Isaid said... October 3, 2010 at 7:35 PM
    I agree that all kids need an education. Some offenses, however, do warrant expulsion. I believe that distributing drugs at school is such an offense. With that being said, the inconvenience/expense of affording an alternative education to such kids should fall on their parents and not the taxpayers. If we make the alternative post-expulsion too attractive, we'll be paying out the same kind of money we do for having "coded" so many kids as "special needs". Maybe Ms. Bauman should homeschool her son.
sp2boys said... October 3, 2010 at 9:26 PM
    Mom...I need 35 brownies for tomorrow morning...
c3RhY3l2aWxsZTQ%3D said... October 3, 2010 at 9:27 PM
    If the kid ended up in the ER folks, than he got his monies worth. Of course, he could end up in an ER after ingesting pot...bit different than smoking it. And you thought creeper weed was bad.
SL said... October 3, 2010 at 9:46 PM
    Queenharvest...yes that's exactly what we all need to do, be under the influence of a controlled or illegal substance while we make decisions and live our daily lives. Some of us are quite capable of living 'above' the influence and don't need to make up fake ailments to be prescribed pot for help. Go burn one and eat some Doritos.
Player said... October 4, 2010 at 12:23 AM
    Morse is a liberal who does not believe in any serious punishment and believes that schools are responsible for any misbehavior by students. Wrong. Students and parents are to blame for much of the problem. This case illustrates it in spades. But it appears Ms. Bauman is taking responsibility and doing what she can to get her son back into school.
Sue01 said... October 4, 2010 at 1:20 AM
    The kid who ate the brownie was probably sent to the ER by the school nurse - a zealous response dictated by a litigious school policy. __ ZERO TOLERANCE requires ZERO intellect, and its advocates often meet that standard. Folks, you can't say "I agree with zero tolerance, BUT..." ZT is an ABSOLUTE - a system for those UNWILLING (or UNABLE) to weigh the nuances of various scenarios. __Expulsion should NEVER be automatic. SUPPOSEDLY humans hold ourselves above other animals due to our sophisticated level of conscious thought. Along comes ZT to dispel that myth.
amFzcGVyMTIz said... October 4, 2010 at 6:46 AM
    Kids are well aware of what offenses result in suspension. I served on a discipline review committee for several years and expulsion was a rarely used option. Most students have an "it can't happen to me" attitude. They are provided with so many academic and disciplinary alternatives to lesser punishments they assume that they will graduate despite failure, return to school quickly despite suspension and never get expelled. Other students learn this when they see penalties reduced regularly for other students in academic/disciplinary difficulty
stinkyspot said... October 4, 2010 at 7:32 AM
    So the kid who tries to start a livery service on Peaks Island without proper licenses is a "go getter" and future businessman, but this young man who is an aspiring pharmacist is a criminal? I thought Pot was legal and harmless?
bess said... October 4, 2010 at 8:25 AM
    What about the kids who play sports and take a number of ADHD drugs,drink vitamin water, drink those engery drinks to pump themselves up for the game and take muscle supplements??
SL said... October 4, 2010 at 8:51 AM
    Bess..last I checked taking prescription meds that aren't yours is illegal and would be dealt with in the same manner. As far as supplements, they should be banned but the MPA won't touch it because when kids are being looked at by colleges it would place them at a disadvantage with other states that turn the other way. Parents are the real issue here, on both sides, unless the kid didn't know what he was eating.
Les said... October 4, 2010 at 10:25 AM
    MPA should be abolished. Too much power and not enough intelligence.
marinegal said... October 4, 2010 at 10:56 AM
    At least his mother isn't in denial and saying her child did nothing wrong and that he's an angel. I see parents all too often say "my child? oh he or she would never do that kind of thing." There is an admission of what he did and a desire to take steps to make amends and accept responsibility for his actions. He's lucky to have a mother like her. I think he's learned a valuable lesson. There is time for him to get back on track.
Hipupchuck said... October 4, 2010 at 12:27 PM
    If you don't expect or intend to get high and you get that way you may think something is wrong with you even though it is harmless.
harriet said... October 4, 2010 at 2:38 PM
    violettaswan said... What a surprise! Lyman Moore Middle School in Portland has almost twice the number of incidents of any school in Portland. Ms. Swan, sounds like you're referring to the bathroom threat incidents of last year. You heard about them because they got blown out of proportion. "Incidents" happen all the time without anyone knowing whether in Portland or Cape. My experience with Moore is that it depends on the teacher, again, just like in any school.
1Keith1 said... October 4, 2010 at 5:12 PM
    Please don't tell me the buyer thought he was buying an ordinary brownie. That is incredibly naive and ludicrous!
bGlsYW1pZQ%3D%3D said... October 6, 2010 at 1:13 PM
    im a student at bonny eagle and i have been reading some of the things that you have been saying about bonny eagle its not as bad as you all think and im sorry to hear about what happen to your daughter but saying stuff like that really upsets some of the other students and teachers at bonny eagle everyone here has the scots pride and hearing you guys say stuff like that REALLY hurts us that you all think about our school like that soo all i as is that you not say stuff like that plz and thanx

Offline survivorami

• View Profile
Re: PS student expelled for pot brownie sale, gets sent to HYDE
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2021, 02:42:16 PM »
Hyde is most definitely pro-bully.