Author Topic: PS student expelled for pot brownie sale, gets sent to HYDE  (Read 14557 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
PS student expelled for pot brownie sale, gets sent to HYDE
« on: October 07, 2010, 11:02:59 AM »
Hyde School capitalizes on yet another family's bow to societal pressures and expectations:

Laurie Bauman wasn't about to let her 15-year-old son spend the next several months hanging around the house or working part-time jobs while his peers were in school. She enrolled him at the Hyde School, a boarding school in Bath that emphasizes character development.[/list][/size]
    -------------- • -------------- • --------------

The Portland Press Herald
    October 3, 2010

Expelled kids face uncertain road back

By Kelley Bouchard · [email protected][/i]

Copyright ©2010 MaineToday Media, Inc.
    « Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Comments: "State reviewing school expulsions"
    « Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 11:49:33 AM »
    A version of the OP article also ran in the Kennebec Journal / Maine Sunday Telegram. Here are comments left for this latter version, "State reviewing school expulsions" (by Kelley Bouchard; Oct. 3, 2010; Kennebec Journal):

citizen said... October 3, 2010 at 7:39 AM
      It looks as though the school districts around the state take a reasonable, thoughtful approach. If there are school districts who do not, their administrators should be replaced by the local people. Liberal Justin Alfond may not have right prescription for Central or Northern Maine. The State should stay out of it. Is'nt there anything issue State can stay out of?
    micilio said... October 3, 2010 at 8:02 AM
      Such a sad story. Over a pot brownie. Its not like the kid was peddling coke or crack or heroin. Everyone should have been relieved that it wasnt someting worse. Im not saying the kid shouldnt be punished, but playing catch up for the rest of year would be well enough... Slap the kid on wrist and get back to work and life. Im pretty sure they have better(or worse) problems to wasting time and money over...It was just a pot brownie...
    Delly said... October 3, 2010 at 9:09 AM
      Shouldn't the kid who bought the brownies be punished as well?? It takes two!
    citizen said... October 3, 2010 at 9:26 AM
      The legislature is seeking a solution in search of a problem. Let Cape Elizabeth work this out with the boy and his family. If you don't want to be expelled or bring uncertainty to your academic future, don't sell drugs at school. It really is that simple, and the State does not need to be involved in this issue.
    jimpmwo said... October 3, 2010 at 9:44 AM
      It is a tough call, rules must be enforced or they are useless. the rules should be the same for every person so maybe it does need to be reviewed by the state. under the law selling drugs is considered a more serious crime than buying or possessing them. was the other kid punished in some way? Part of education is to teach ethics so that the person can be a productive, law abiding citizen so you have to know that such behavior will not be tolerated. The young person knew the rules and now must pay the price and hopefully move on. they have options to get him back in school. School punishment is better than a criminal record for the students future
    KJ5reader said... October 3, 2010 at 10:20 AM
      I have an idea. Send them to charter schools who do so well. Oh that's right. Charter schools will not accept anyone like this unless they learned that he had had a high GPA. Obviously we do not have any at this point.
    boofaloo said... October 3, 2010 at 1:40 PM
      Unbelievable. I'm with micilio on this one. When I was in high school 30 years ago, this would have been the kind of outrageous fiction one could only dream up after a plate of pot brownies.
    gen81465 said... October 7, 2010 at 3:09 AM
      People aren't realizing that there IS a means for this child to continue his education; unfortunately, I don't think the mother wants to send her son to juvie for the rest of the school year. He might get a different kind of "education", that isn't going to do him any good.

Copyright ©2010 MaineToday Media, Inc.

Offline SUCK_IT

• View Profile
    Re: PS student expelled for pot brownie sale, gets sent to H
    « Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 11:53:20 AM »
    SUCK_IT said: Get over yourself Ursus.  These kids are drug users which means they are at risk.  Of course they got sent to Hyde for their own good.  How else are they going to learn character Ursus?  Come on.
    I\'m baaaack...

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Re: PS student expelled... gets sent to HYDE
    « Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 12:27:56 PM »
    Quote from: "SUCK_IT"
    SUCK_IT said: Get over yourself Ursus.  These kids are drug users which means they are at risk.  Of course they got sent to Hyde for their own good.  How else are they going to learn character Ursus?  Come on.
    :rofl:   :rofl:

The chances of one actually "learning" some character at Hyde are pretty minuscule compared to the more assured likelihood of succumbing to their mind-numbing mantra of conformity to some hollow ideals. ...Not to mention the other forms of physical, psychological, and sexual abuse that seem to occur there on an alarmingly frequent basis!

But here's something Hyde School really does teach quite well: how to bully one's peers to get kids' behavior in line with parental or administrative expectations.

Offline SUCK_IT

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 12:29:36 PM »
    That's how programs work, Ursus.  It's called "positve peer culture" though.
    I\'m baaaack...

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 12:40:26 PM »

You know you think you're funny, But do everyone here a great disservice. Including yourself.
    ?©?€~¥@

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 10:35:51 PM »
    That's how programs work, Ursus.  It's called "positve peer culture" though.
    :D   Aye. And before 1974, when Vorrath and Brendtro's book Positive Peer Culture was first published, it was called Guided Group Interaction.

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 11:01:08 PM »
    Quote from: "Ursus"
    :rofl:   :rofl:
    The chances of one actually "learning" some character at Hyde are pretty minuscule compared to the more assured likelihood of succumbing to their mind-numbing mantra of conformity to some hollow ideals. ...Not to mention the other forms of physical, psychological, and sexual abuse that seem to occur there on an alarmingly frequent basis!

Ya had me until you ran off on this unfounded tangent. Citation please for 10/2010.

But here's something Hyde School really does teach quite well: how to bully one's peers to get kids' behavior in line with parental or administrative expectations.

Citation please for 10/2010.
    Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 05:14:45 PM »
    From the above article by Kelley Bouchard, "Expelled kids face uncertain road back":

A legislative panel is reviewing state laws and school district policies on expulsions to determine how they affect graduation rates. The panel is an outgrowth of 2010 legislation, sponsored by state Sen. Justin Alfond, D-Portland, that set a goal of increasing Maine's high school graduation rate from 80 percent to 90 percent by 2016.

The panel, which includes educational, legal and social service experts, is expected to issue a report in November on various expulsion practices across the state and recommend new laws to propose when the Legislature convenes in January.

"Right now, the laws reflect a zero-tolerance attitude. You're gone, and no district has to accept you," said Alfond, a panel member. "I think we need fair and firm rules, but those rules need to keep kids in school."

Alfond said he expects the panel to recommend clearly defined rules for expulsions and suspensions, which also are under review. The new rules likely will require a re-entry plan for each expelled student that includes keeping up with school work, possibly through online classes that would minimize costs for school districts.
      [/list][/size]
      This legislative panel is the subject of the following thread:

Maine: Panel reviewing discipline in schools · viewtopic.php?f=32&t=31336[/list]

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
        « Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 05:23:18 PM »
        From the above article by Kelley Bouchard, "Expelled kids face uncertain road back":

"Right now, the laws reflect a zero-tolerance attitude. You're gone, and no district has to accept you," said Alfond, a panel member. "I think we need fair and firm rules, but those rules need to keep kids in school."

There it is again.  Why does common sense have to be forfeited?  I really don't understand it.
        traight, St. Pete, early 80s
        AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
        « Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 04:11:47 PM »
        Quote from: "Anne Bonney"

There it is again.  Why does common sense have to be forfeited?  I really don't understand it.
        I hear of more problems — across the board — associated with "zero tolerance" than I can wrap my brain around most days...

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
        « Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 04:39:16 PM »
        Damn pot heads. Ithink i'll just.............
        ?©?€~¥@

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
        « Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 08:40:55 PM »
        Quote from: "Anne Bonney"

I hear of more problems — across the board — associated with "zero tolerance" than I can wrap my brain around most days...

Let me help you, STOP.  Just be happy we have small pockets of zero tolerance. Think of the alternative, children dead.
        Guys remember, the person given the brownie had a adverse reaction.
        Guns and Drugs in schools = Zero Tolerence.
        Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
        « Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 08:55:14 PM »
        Has anybody here ever eaten pot to get high? You know cooked. Do you know how much you have to eat to get sick. Not a very efficient use of pot.
        ?©?€~¥@

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
        « Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010, 08:57:54 PM »
        how long is this kid gonna' be stuck at HYDE for?
        ?©?€~¥@