Poll

Which is worse Public School Abuse or Program Abuse?

Public School
3 (17.6%)
Programs
14 (82.4%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: November 01, 2010, 12:36:30 PM

Author Topic: PUBLIC SCHOOL ABUSE  (Read 11243 times)

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
Re: PUBLIC SCHOOL ABUSE
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2010, 09:59:15 AM »
Quote from: "Whooter"
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"
Quote from: "RobertBruce"
Quote from: "DannyB II"
Public Schools are far and above programs for abuse. The potential for abuse from peers, older kids, teachers, bus drivers, ect is there.
For everyone who believes kids can not be censored in public schools are wrong, especially with parents that have lost trust with their kids.
Parents are much more involved with kids in programs today then when most of us here went 20-30 years ago.

So because you believe the potential for abuse is higher, not actual incidents, that in your mind means programs are safer?

You are of course ignorning the fact that no matter how much more parents are involved with kids in programs then they were in the past (they're not, youre wrong again) it doesnt change the fact that communication is always restricted whenever the programs deem it approrpriate. In public schools even if a situation arose where a school would not allow a child to use a phone for an entire school day, or go home early (impossible situation that is not going to happen) at the end of the day a child is free to go home and report to their parents any incidents that occur. Programs prefer zero oversight, and zero accountability. For that reason alone public schools are safer. They have oversight and accountability to the hilt.

Yep.....that's a huge difference between public schools and programs.  If a kid is abused in a public school (as I was, although not nearly as bad as in Straight because my father did something about it and the teacher was fired and his license permanently revoked), the kid has the opportunity to report it and it's taken seriously.  If a kid is abused in a program, they're accused of lying/manipulating/exaggerating etc.  It's not taken seriously because the program would lose a paying client.  Public schools don't lose money if the abuse becomes public.

Well I think both programs and public schools can lose if abuse occurs.

My main concern is the kids.....not the program's appearance.

As far as reporting the abuse that is really after the fact  (the abuse has already occurred).  In a program the child can walk to the nearest store and phone the police, or run away and notify police, report it to a staff member, tell their parents when they speak to them.

And people like you will tell them that they're lying/manipulating/exaggerating etc.  They're rarely believed, even when a kid ends up dead.

There are many options to notify authorities.

Not for kids in programs.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2010, 10:14:10 AM »
My main concern is the kids.....not the program's appearance.

My main concern is the kids too, not just trying to make the readers believe your sole experience reflects all programs.  I believe if you really did have the best interest of the kids in the forefront you would be more honest and not try to trick readers into believing the programs of today are the same as straight in the 1980’s

And people like you will tell them that they're lying/manipulating/exaggerating etc. They're rarely believed, even when a kid ends up dead.
And people like you will minimize the kids who are abused outside of programs because it doesn’t meet your agenda.

Not for kids in programs.
Kids in programs can notify staff, run to the local store and call authorities, talk to their parents.  

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2010, 10:56:33 AM »
My main concern is the kids too, not just trying to make the readers believe your sole experience reflects all programs.  I believe if you really did have the best interest of the kids in the forefront you would be more honest and not try to trick readers into believing the programs of today are the same as straight in the 1980’s

I'm not trying to trick anyone.  I'm pointing out the important similarities, like using LGATs, isolation etc.

And people like you will minimize the kids who are abused outside of programs because it doesn’t meet your agenda..

No I don't.   Abuse is abuse but at least kids in school have recourse to report the abuse.  Program kids don't.

Kids in programs can notify staff,   :roflmao:  run to the local store and call authorities, talk to their parents.  

And, again, they'll be told that they're lying/manipulating/exaggerating etc.  They wouldn't dare tell their parents because they know the punishment they'll receive if they do.

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Shadyacres

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2010, 11:02:38 AM »
Whooter you've got to be kidding.  The child can just "run away and notify police"?  It took me five months to escape from the program I was in.  If I had tried to claim abuse, I would have had to show proof of abuse that might have happened months ago.  It would have been my word against the program.  Every kid in the program is still under duress and therefore very unlikely to corroborate the story of a "cop-out".

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2010, 11:13:09 AM »
Quote from: "Shadyacres"
Whooter you've got to be kidding.  The child can just "run away and notify police"?  It took me five months to escape from the program I was in.  If I had tried to claim abuse, I would have had to show proof of abuse that might have happened months ago.  It would have been my word against the program. Every kid in the program is still under duress and therefore very unlikely to corroborate the story of a "cop-out".

Yup, cuz they know what will happen to them if they do.  Programs have complete and total control over the kids thru re-education and thought reform.  Program kids have zero access to the real world and some don't even realize they're being abused because they're told over and over again that they deserve what they're getting.  Public schools do not.

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2010, 01:29:46 PM »
Cyberbullying

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2010/bullying

http://on.cnn.com/9Xcq53

CNN  One-fifth of children between the ages of 10 and 18 have been victims of cyberbullying or have participated in it, according to the Cyberbullying Research Center. Get tips on how to handle cyberbullying http://on.cnn.com/9Xcq53  and watch the “AC360°” special report in collaboration with Cartoon Network: “Stop Bullying: Speak Up,” starting tonight at 10 ET.
In a wired world, children unable to escape cyberbullying
on.cnn.com
Jason, 13, knows he is an easy target for bullies at his middle school in Long Island, New York.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************

By Stephanie Chen, CNN
October 4, 2010 11:39 a.m. EDT

Teens speak out about bullying
STORY HIGHLIGHTS

* Cyberbullying occurs when harassment or cruel comments are made in cyberspace
    * About 20 percent of children have experienced cyberbullying or been the bully, survey says
    * Some states have passed laws to address problem, but courts still have to catch up, experts say
    * NIH study: Cyberbullying causes higher levels of depression than face-to-face bullying

Editor's note: Bullying is in our schools, and now it's online. Why do kids do it? What can be done to put an end to it? Don't miss an "AC360°" special report in collaboration with Cartoon Network: "Stop Bullying: Speak Up," starting tonight at 10 ET on CNN.

(CNN) -- Jason, 13, knows he is an easy target for bullies at his middle school in Long Island, New York.

His diminutive stature hinders him from retaliating against the taller, heavier boys who tease him. He prefers to wear skinny jeans and black zip-up hoodies, fashion choices that induce comments like "emo" or "gay" from classmates. He has an affinity for comic books and Xbox games such as "Halo" and "Call of Duty," and for pursuing these hobbies, other kids call him a loser.

Jason says he has been ostracized and was once punched in the neck at school, but the peer torment does not end when he enters the comfort of his home, on the weekends or during summer vacations. Last year, he says he became a victim of cyberbullying -- vicious, viral and incessant attacks through text messages, e-mails and Facebook posts that have both replaced and supplemented traditional schoolyard bullying.

Read about a New Jersey college student who committed suicide after being harassed with the internet

"It's really horrifying the next day after the message has been sent around, and you're the laughingstock of the school," Jason says. "You have no idea why or what's funny."
Video: A year-long look at bullying

October marks National Bullying Prevention Month, a topic that has made headlines lately. Last week, authorities found the body of Tyler Clementi, a New Jersey college student, who committed suicide after two other students allegedly placed a camera in his dorm room without his knowledge and then broadcast his sexual encounter online.
Tips on handling cyberbullying
1. Don't Respond: Confronting a cyberbully can worsen the circumstances.

2. Collect evidence: Save related e-mails, messages and postings as proof should you need to get the law or school involved.

3. Determine the source: Try to find out the bully's identity and what information he or she knows about you.

4. Report incidences: Laws vary by state, so contact local law enforcement first.

5. Protect your information: Parents should make sure a child's social networking profile doesn't reveal any contact information.

Source: Champions Against Bullying
Video: Kids: My life as a bully's victim
RELATED TOPICS

* Internet
    * Bullying
    * Depression

Kids are more digitally connected than ever, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation, which reported that children devoted an average 7½ hours a day to their gadgets. The proliferation of cell phones, iPods and Facebook brings a complicated challenge for parents, teachers and students: The constant exposure to technology and the web amplifies opportunities for children to bully each other online.

Have you been bullied? Share your experiences

One in five youths between age 10 and 18 have been a victim of cyberbullying or participated in cyberbullying, according to a survey of 4,400 children conducted by the Cyberbullying Research Center, an organization tracking the internet bullying trend. This figure is conservative, because children are often afraid to come forward to their parents, bullying experts say.

Cyberbullying can take on various forms, from a middle-schooler firing a hurtful text message to high school teens harassing a boyfriend or girlfriend online. The National Crime Prevention Council defines cyberbullying -- a term practically nonexistent more than a decade ago --- as what "happens when teens use the internet, cell phones, or other devices to send or post text or images intended to hurt or embarrass another person."

"It's a daily nightmare," said Alexandra Penn, founder of Champions Against Bullying, a nonprofit based in Los Angeles, California, that provides resources for reducing incidences of traditional and internet bullying in schools. "There's nowhere to run, nowhere to hide."

Internet bullying results in depression, suicides

Jason, the New York middle-schooler, tried following the crowd last year.

When gray shorts and red T-shirts became trendy, he wore them to school. Still, the bullies haunted him online. They called Jason, an honor student, dumb. They made fun of his thin frame.

Jason, who has a Facebook account, says he contemplated abstaining from the social network. But he says that would have been useless, because bullies continued to write negative comments about him in mass group messages behind his back.

"There's nothing I can really do," he said.

Sameer Hinduja, a co-director of the Cyberbullying Research Center, says the most common form of bullying consists of hurtful comments or online rumors. A majority of the bullying is also done anonymously, experts say, because these kinds of bullies like hiding behind a computer screen. Cyberbullying can also be a cruel cycle. Many kids who cyberbully have been bullied at some point.

"Many adults think bullying has to do with sexual predators online, but the biggest concern is peer harassment and conflict and some of the issues that have just blown up with adolescent drama," Hinduja said.

Read: Why did Tyler Clementi die?

Recent research shows that cyberbullying can cause higher levels of depression in a child than traditional bullying. Compared with face-to-face bullying of schoolchildren, a child who had experienced cyberbullying from someone anonymous "may be more likely to feel isolated, dehumanized or helpless at the time of the attack," according a study from the National Institutes of Health. The study relied on surveys from more than 7,000 students.

Bullying experts say cyberbullying has lasting effects on children and teens. Messages posted on the internet are often permanent and difficult to remove. With one click of a mouse, comments can reach hundreds or thousands of students.

While rare, suicide can be the result of online harassment. In 2003, Ryan Halligan, a 13-year-old middle school student in Vermont, killed himself after he was bullied online.

"The kids said, 'You know, you're finally going to stop complaining,' and my son [said], 'Yes, tonight's the night, I'm going to do it. You'll read about it in the papers tomorrow,' " John Halligan, Ryan's father, said to CNN in 2005. "And the kids said, 'It's about f'ing time.' "

Cyberbullying evolves, challenges hard to tackle

While a decade ago, cyberbullying primarily affected youths between age 11 and 15, the number of children facing harassment through a digital device is growing.

"We are seeing cyberbullying happening at broader age ranges and for longer periods of time," said Parry Aftab, who started the group Wired Safety, one of the first advocacy organizations to address online abuses in the mid-1990s. "It's exploding."

Even second-graders use innocent social networking sites such as Webkinz -- where children can purchase cyberpets and chat with each other online -- as a bullying tool, she says. For example, Aftab has heard about children threatening to post mean comments in a chatroom or steal the other child's account information.

Susan McVeigh, a spokeswoman at WebKinz, says bullying can occasionally occur on the site, but the company monitors the chat rooms carefully.

"When you get thousands of kids, the first thing they want to do is push the boundaries," she said . "It's the site's responsibility to push back and say that's not in the spirit of the site."

States and schools are responding to the problem, but there is a long way to go, because the new technology continues to reach children daily, cyberbully experts say. In August, schools and police in West Bridgewater, Massachusetts, set up a text tip line so students can report cyberbullying incidences, according to CNN affiliate WHDH. In 2007, Arkansas passed a law that allowed school officials to take action against cyberbullies who commit acts off school property.

Some advocacy groups say they are concerned about what happens when the cases enter the courts.

"The legal system is going to do some scrambling to catch up with what new technologies do to make it possible," says Andrea Press, a sociology professor at the University of Virginia who came out with the book "The New Media Environment."

Private companies are taking action, too. Facebook, the largest social networking site, with more than 500 million members, says it is also aggressively trying to curb cyberbullying, using pop-up warnings and canceling the accounts of people who cyberbully or use hate speech.

"For us, the experience on the site is the core," said Joe Sullivan, chief security officer at Facebook. "We want to protect and improve, and something like this is repulsive."

Despite the laws and policies that address cyberbullying, some experts say children need to take action among their friends. Many children are afraid to come forward in fear of retaliation. Also, teens may stay quiet because they believe they "need to learn to deal with it," according to a psychological study from the University of California, Los Angeles, in 2008.

Until a few weeks ago, Jason's mother was unaware that students attacked her son online.

"It's just hard in general, because I feel like my hands are tied," she said. "I don't know what to do. I don't want anyone to retaliate against him. I don't want him to get into trouble."

As Jason started eighth grade this year, the cyberbullying has subsided, probably because the kids found someone new to pick on, he says.

"Before all this happened, I would try to change myself," he said. "Now I see that I like myself and I enjoy myself, and I think that if they don't like me, they don't appreciate me, then I'm strong enough to say I don't need to talk to that person."
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2010, 01:41:24 PM »
He was tired of being tormented to hell.

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2010, 01:44:37 PM »
Quote from: "Che Gookin"
I'm confused by the questions on this poll. If I'm reading it properly I'm being asked which abuse is worst, abuse in a public school or abuse in a program? I guess my answer would be it doesn't really matter where it takes place, abuse is abuse and it is a horrible thing no matter where it takes place.

So is this recent feud about location or is it another rehash of the absurd numbers argument? Because if it is a rehash of the numbers argument I don't have much to say about that other than abuse is tragic no matter what the location and the kids who get abused in public schools have just as much empathy and so forth from me as the kids abused in programs. I just happen to chose to focus on programs, but if presented with a chance to help out a kid who is abused in a public school he/she will certainly have whatever I can contribute.

Haven't had much to praise you for lately but I must say this is some of your best passionate writing to date. Che I applaud and commend you on your empathy. You really are a rational man, thanks.
This is a conversation over "moment".   :cheers:

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2010, 01:48:57 PM »
Public Schools are far and above programs for abuse. The potential for abuse from peers, older kids, teachers, bus drivers, ect is there.
For everyone who believes kids can not be censored in public schools are wrong, especially with parents that have lost trust with their kids.
Parents are much more involved with kids in programs today then when most of us here went 20-30 years ago.

So because you believe the potential for abuse is higher, not actual incidents, that in your mind means programs are safer?

You are of course ignorning the fact that no matter how much more parents are involved with kids in programs then they were in the past (they're not, youre wrong again) it doesnt change the fact that communication is always restricted whenever the programs deem it approrpriate. In public schools even if a situation arose where a school would not allow a child to use a phone for an entire school day, or go home early (impossible situation that is not going to happen) at the end of the day a child is free to go home and report to their parents any incidents that occur. Programs prefer zero oversight, and zero accountability. For that reason alone public schools are safer. They have oversight and accountability to the hilt.

Yep.....that's a huge difference between public schools and programs.  If a kid is abused in a public school (as I was, although not nearly as bad as in Straight because my father did something about it and the teacher was fired and his license permanently revoked), the kid has the opportunity to report it and it's taken seriously.  If a kid is abused in a program, they're accused of lying/manipulating/exaggerating etc.  It's not taken seriously because the program would lose a paying client.  Public schools don't lose money if the abuse becomes public.

This is another one of Annes fabrication, all you have to do is do a survey of the country and you will find this whole comment she made to be a total farce or a best misleading posters to believe that all the abused in public schools are lying.
Your not reading and listening, Anne. It is always more important to you to argue and prove your right, no matter what.

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2010, 01:52:27 PM »

I'm not trying to trick anyone.  I'm pointing out the important similarities, like using LGATs, isolation etc.

And people like you will minimize the kids who are abused outside of programs because it doesn’t meet your agenda..

No I don't.   Abuse is abuse but at least kids in school have recourse to report the abuse.  Program kids don't.

Kids in programs can notify staff,   :roflmao:  run to the local store and call authorities, talk to their parents.  

And, again, they'll be told that they're lying/manipulating/exaggerating etc.  They wouldn't dare tell their parents because they know the punishment they'll receive if they do.

Anne, if you were not more interested in tooting your own horn and playing the big shot here, you could see that kids are being abused in public schools more now then ever and they do not feel there being heard or being taken care of. Just freaking read, dag gummit.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2010, 01:57:21 PM »

This is another one of Annes fabrication, all you have to do is do a survey of the country and you will find this whole comment she made to be a total farce or a best misleading posters to believe that all the abused in public schools are lying.

Again, read for comprehension.  What I said was that the public school believed me and fired the teacher and his license was revoked and Straight didn't believe me.  Are you really this idiotic?

And how is a survey of the country going to prove or disprove anything I said.  It happened, whether you want to believe it or not.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2010, 02:18:07 PM »
Cyberbullying

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2010/bullying

http://on.cnn.com/9Xcq53

CNN  One-fifth of children between the ages of 10 and 18 have been victims of cyberbullying or have participated in it, according to the Cyberbullying Research Center. Get tips on how to handle cyberbullying http://on.cnn.com/9Xcq53  and watch the “AC360°” special report in collaboration with Cartoon Network: “Stop Bullying: Speak Up,” starting tonight at 10 ET.
on.cnn.com
Jason, 13, knows he is an easy target for bullies at his middle school in Long Island, New York.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************

By Stephanie Chen, CNN
October 4, 2010 11:39 a.m. EDT

Teens speak out about bullying
STORY HIGHLIGHTS

* Cyberbullying occurs when harassment or cruel comments are made in cyberspace
    * About 20 percent of children have experienced cyberbullying or been the bully, survey says
    * Some states have passed laws to address problem, but courts still have to catch up, experts say
    * NIH study: Cyberbullying causes higher levels of depression than face-to-face bullying

Editor's note: Bullying is in our schools, and now it's online. Why do kids do it? What can be done to put an end to it? Don't miss an "AC360°" special report in collaboration with Cartoon Network: "Stop Bullying: Speak Up," starting tonight at 10 ET on CNN.

(CNN) -- Jason, 13, knows he is an easy target for bullies at his middle school in Long Island, New York.

His diminutive stature hinders him from retaliating against the taller, heavier boys who tease him. He prefers to wear skinny jeans and black zip-up hoodies, fashion choices that induce comments like "emo" or "gay" from classmates. He has an affinity for comic books and Xbox games such as "Halo" and "Call of Duty," and for pursuing these hobbies, other kids call him a loser.

Jason says he has been ostracized and was once punched in the neck at school, but the peer torment does not end when he enters the comfort of his home, on the weekends or during summer vacations. Last year, he says he became a victim of cyberbullying -- vicious, viral and incessant attacks through text messages, e-mails and Facebook posts that have both replaced and supplemented traditional schoolyard bullying.

Read about a New Jersey college student who committed suicide after being harassed with the internet

"It's really horrifying the next day after the message has been sent around, and you're the laughingstock of the school," Jason says. "You have no idea why or what's funny."
Video: A year-long look at bullying

October marks National Bullying Prevention Month, a topic that has made headlines lately. Last week, authorities found the body of Tyler Clementi, a New Jersey college student, who committed suicide after two other students allegedly placed a camera in his dorm room without his knowledge and then broadcast his sexual encounter online.
Tips on handling cyberbullying
1. Don't Respond: Confronting a cyberbully can worsen the circumstances.

2. Collect evidence: Save related e-mails, messages and postings as proof should you need to get the law or school involved.

3. Determine the source: Try to find out the bully's identity and what information he or she knows about you.

4. Report incidences: Laws vary by state, so contact local law enforcement first.

5. Protect your information: Parents should make sure a child's social networking profile doesn't reveal any contact information.

Source: Champions Against Bullying
Video: Kids: My life as a bully's victim