Author Topic: First teacher - then bartender and now singer  (Read 11081 times)

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
First teacher - then bartender and now singer
« on: September 29, 2010, 09:47:38 AM »
Gennarose resume - former teacher at the Academy of Swift River.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Gennarose resumé
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 10:17:23 AM »
resume
gennarose's resumes

----------------------------

Theatre Resume

[email protected]
    http://www.gennarose.com; http://www.myspace.com/gennarosemusic
    [/list]

PERFORMANCE
    Performing Artist: Headline Vocalist, NY/NJ area; 2003-present      
    &B tunes and originals

Lead Vocalist, performer: The Jimmy Sturr Orchestra; July 2004-September 2008        
    Sang at hundreds of venues internationally, including Carnegie Hall, BB King’s, Farmaid 2006-2008 and Mohegan Sun; sang on four Grammy winning albums (see below); featured in two televised seasons of The Jimmy Sturr Show currently aired on the RFD network

Dancer: Cumbia Spirit in Woodstock, NY; November 2009-August 2010
    Performed Cumbia and Salsa at various venues, including the 2010 annual Anne Sokolow tribute Linda Diamond Dance Festival

Musical Theater:
    Professional:  A CHORUS LINE, Judy, Old Library Theater, Fairlawn, NJ 1997
    Community:   THE WIZARD OF OZ, Dorothy, Small Town Fancy Players, Mahwah,NJ 1994
    High School:   DAMN YANKEES, Lola, Mawah HS Players, Mawah, NJ 1996
    THE BOYFRIEND, Polly, Mawah HS Players, Mawah, NJ 1994

AWARDS
    Grammy, The Jimmy Sturr Orchestra, Let the Whole World Sing, 2009
    Grammy, The Jimmy Sturr Orchestra, Come Share the Wine, 2008
    Grammy, The Jimmy Sturr Orchestra, Polka in Paradise, 2007
    Grammy, The Jimmy Sturr Orchestra, Shake, Rattle and Polka!, 2006
    Third Place, Showtime at the Apollo Theatre, 1997

SOLO ALBUMS
    Spirit, 2005, KG PRODUCTIONS (including eleven originals)
    Above Standard, 2007, KG PRODUCTIONS (jazz standard covers)

EDUCATION
    Broadway Dance Center; NY, NY; 2003-2005
    Jazz and hip hop
    Columbia College; NY, NY; 1999-2001            
    B.A., English, Summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
    Berklee School of Music; Boston, MA; 1998
    Jazz Comping Class
    The Art Institute of Boston; Boston, MA; 1999-2001            
    Fine Arts Foundation

SPECIAL SKILLS
    Professional Latin/hip-hop teacher since 2002; piano; guitar; dance: jazz, ballet, Latin, hip-hop; painting/drawing; yoga; horseback riding and training; conversational Spanish

----------------------------

Writing Resume

EMAIL http://WWW.GENNAROSE.COM[/list]

EDUCATION

1999-2001                     Columbia College                                  New York City, NY
      B.A., English awarded May 2001
                  Summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa

1997-1999                     The Art Institute of Boston                    Boston, MA
      Fine Arts Foundation

1993-1997                     Mahwah High School                            Mahwah, NJ
      Diploma
      National Merit Scholarship Letter of Commendation, High Honor Roll
      Class rank 8th of 150

PROFESSIONAL EMPLOYMENT

February 2008-August 2010        Joshua’s Café                            Woodstock, NY
      Front-of-house manager, waitress, bartender
      ·Helped to run popular, high-volume Woodstock restaurant: hired, scheduled and disciplined bartenders and wait staff; supervised and kept inventory of all alcoholic beverages; designed cocktail menu; coordinated and rotated local artists and musicians for display and performance; wrote and edited all PR copy and advertisement, including radio/magazine promotion and menus; maintained restaurant’s Facebook page; kept weekly profit ledger.

July 2004-September 2008          Jimmy Sturr Orchestra               Florida, NY
      Lead vocalist, performer

February 2004-August 2004        Senor Swanky’s             New York, NY
      Bartender

December 2003- March 2004     Isabella’s                                   New York, NY
      Bartender

August 2003-December 2003     Maxie’s Delicatessen                  New York, NY
      Bartender

August 2001-August 2003          The Academy at Swift River        Cummington, MA
      Department Chair of Arts and Humanities, eleventh grade English and Art History instructor,
                  Peer group teacher/advisor

·Taught eleventh grade English and Art History to at-risk students in a therapeutic boarding school setting; designed and guided several independent studies of subjects including fine arts, dance, philosophy and creative writing; worked to design and align the arts and humanities curriculum with current Massachusetts educational standards in preparation for accreditation; served as the academic liason between the counseling and academic departments, and as academic advisor for a group of fourteen students.

FREELANCE EMPLOYMENT

2003-present     High School Special Needs Tutor                                   NY/NJ area
      · Provide one-on-one guidance and instruction to local and learning-disabled high school students in essay writing/editing, grammar, organization, and time management.

2003-present     Vocal Performer                                                            NY/NJ area

AWARDS

Grammy, The Jimmy Sturr Orchestra, Let the Whole World Sing, (2009); Grammy, The Jimmy Sturr Orchestra, Come Share the Wine, (2008); Grammy, The Jimmy Sturr Orchestra, Polka in Paradise,   (2007); Grammy, The Jimmy Sturr Orchestra, Shake, Rattle and Polka!, (2006); Phi Beta Kappa (2001); Arthur B. Ford poetry award (2000); Third Place, Showtime at the Apollo Theatre, (1997); Art Institute of Boston National Scholastic Art Award/Scholarship (1997)

SPECIAL SKILLS

MS Word; Excel; basic Photoshop; conversational Spanish; professional Latin/hip-hop    teacher/performer since 2002; piano; guitar; dance: jazz, ballet, Latin, hip-hop; painting/drawing;    yoga

REFERENCES  

Available upon request
      -------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
      Re: First teacher - then bartender and now singer
      « Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 10:43:21 AM »
      Great find, Guys.  What a fantastic exposure for kids at risk.  She really sounds like and independent self starter and great role model for those children.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
      Re: Gennarose resumé
      « Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 10:55:45 AM »
      Outside of the fact that her years at her various educational venues don't entirely jive between the two resumés (probably typos), I found the following choice of words rather interesting re. her employment at Joshua's Café in Woodstock, color emphasis added:

"...hired, scheduled and disciplined bartenders and wait staff..."[/list]

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
        « Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 11:07:26 AM »
        Here are two confirmations of (probably already known) facts that also came out of that resumé:

• A Bachelor of Arts degree (received but months before, if that) is sufficient qualification to be a Department Chair, instructor, and Peer group teacher/advisor at the Academy at Swift River.
        • The Academy at Swift River was not accredited during the time period of August 2001-August 2003.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
        « Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 11:14:35 AM »
        Quote from: "Ursus"
        Outside of the fact that her years at her various educational venues don't jive between the two resumés (probably a typo), I found the following choice of words rather interesting re. her employment at Joshua's Café in Woodstock, color emphasis added:

"...hired, scheduled and disciplined bartenders and wait staff..."[/list]

I didnt notice that.  Interesting wording, I agree, but informative in my opinion.

Many people who own a business or had to manage one find that disciplining people can be very difficult.  Some people just cant do it and are also unable to fire anyone.  I have known business owners who never fired anyone in their professional career.  They would hire people to do it for them.

So knowing that she has experience in this area is a big plus for her in my opinion.  She can handle many aspects of managing people.

Joel

Edited: Wednesday, October 06, 2010
          « Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 02:17:42 PM »
          « Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 01:57:46 PM by Joel »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
          « Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 02:39:20 PM »
          Quote from: "Whooter"
          Great find, Guys.  What a fantastic exposure for kids at risk.  She really sounds like and independent self starter and great role model for those children.
          Well, you would know all about that now, wouldn't you, Whooter? After all, she was featured not too minimally in your friend Dave Marcus' book, What it takes to pull me through. Gotta say, a 22-year-old anorexic fresh outta college still having "slip-ups," leading Group for girls with eating disorders, sounds about right for Academy at Swift River...

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
          « Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 03:10:37 PM »
          It is not personal information. She runs a business. It is a business phone so you can hire her to perform. If I had her job, I would have a personal mail and a business mail. The personal mail will not put on a webpage where I sold my services.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
          « Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 03:29:47 PM »
          Well, you would know all about that now, wouldn't you, Whooter? After all, she was featured not too minimally in your friend Dave Marcus' book, What it takes to pull me through. Gotta say, a 22-year-old anorexic fresh outta college still having "slip-ups," leading Group for girls with eating disorders, sounds about right for Academy at Swift River...

People slipup their whole lives it doesn’t mean they deserve to be fired or should be denied a job.  She was starting out in life and had a great deal to share with kids.

Why do you always have to point out peoples’ shortcomings and run them down just because they enjoy helping kids and happen to take a job working with at-risk youths?  Have a little compassion; why not point out some of the peoples’ better qualities for a change.

Why not point out that she won a grammy or works with special needs students?  Graduated 8th in her class etc.

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
          « Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 04:05:57 PM »
          I do believe that she had the interests of the kids in her heart and she intended to do her best for them. I also believed that the work broke her down. The book which I borrowed led me to this conclusion. I believe that a lot of young people enter this business with a pure heart and they leave it when they discover that the kids are numbers for the accountants and owners.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
          « Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 04:07:17 PM »
          People slipup their whole lives it doesn’t mean they deserve to be fired or should be denied a job.  She was starting out in life and had a great deal to share with kids.

Why do you always have to point out peoples’ shortcomings and run them down just because they enjoy helping kids and happen to take a job working with at-risk youths?  Have a little compassion; why not point out some of the peoples’ better qualities for a change.

Why not point out that she won a grammy or works with special needs students?  Graduated 8th in her class etc.
          I'm sorry, did I miss something? Was this thread supposed to be about "The Gennarose Show?" Gee, you're right, she really does sound like a neat person. Oh, heck, I hope she has a wonderful life and I wish her the best of luck!

But... I believe you have misunderstood me, Whooter. My concern has not to do with Ms. Gennarose Domenica Pope and her life's trials and tribulations, but with the Academy at Swift River, and their professional judgment, or lack thereof, in fulfilling their responsibilities towards students and their parents. I would think that said consumers have a right to expect that ASR hires professionals with a level of maturity sufficient for such a job, eh? After all, ASR markets itself as behavioral health professionals ... right?

Joel

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 04:35:46 PM »
          « Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 01:33:46 PM by Joel »

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
          « Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 05:40:16 PM »

I'm sorry, did I miss something? Was this thread supposed to be about "The Gennarose Show?" Gee, you're right, she really does sound like a neat person. Oh, heck, I hope she has a wonderful life and I wish her the best of luck!

But... I believe you have misunderstood me, Whooter. My concern has not to do with Ms. Gennarose Domenica Pope and her life's trials and tribulations, but with the Academy at Swift River, and their professional judgment, or lack thereof, in fulfilling their responsibilities towards students and their parents. I would think that said consumers have a right to expect that ASR hires professionals with the maturity appropriate for the job, eh? After all, ASR markets itself as behavioral health professionals ... right?

Then why the anorexia comments and pointing out that she put the word "discipline" on her resume.  You are not being honest, Ursus.

You haven't pointed out why she should not have been hired and/or how ASR mislead anyone.  All the parents have access to the qualifications of the staff and teachers.  How many teachers do you know that start teaching with 10 years of experience?  Its impossible.  So you think she should have started in the public sector first and subjected public school kids to her slip ups?  I dont see how that would be anymore acceptable.

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
          « Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 05:57:45 PM »
          You haven't pointed out why she should not have been hired and/or how ASR mislead anyone.  All the parents have access to the qualifications of the staff and teachers.  How many teachers do you know that start teaching with 10 years of experience?  Its impossible.  So you think she should have started in the public sector first and subjected public school kids to her slip ups?  I dont see how that would be anymore acceptable.
          You asked this to Ursus, but let me answer this question.

My son has a 21 year old teacher in religion and math. because the math. teacher is ill. She is a good teacher. She because a substitute teacher when she left high school and we are talking form 0 with 20 kids aged 7-9 in the class. One of the students are her sister, so when we parents met in class a month ago, her parents were present as parents to her sister. It could cause some problems but it doesn't. She is professional even when she is teaching her own sister.

Such a young person can be a good teacher, but the teenagers at Academy at Swift River are no ordinary kids. They have special needs and they have questions about life the kids at my sons classes doesn't. Questions and reflections which need life experience to answer correctly. I have read the book. She gave a lot but between the lines it is hinted that she burned out.

I don't know how fast the staffing is changing at Academy at Swift River, but if they choose to hire such young people, it will be fast.