Author Topic: Reversing Operant Conditioning?  (Read 25738 times)

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
Re: Reversing Operant Conditioning?
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2010, 06:49:51 PM »
@Samara oh ok, clearer now thx and agreed and re: “they were horrified. I only discussed it with people who have a little more depth or morbid curiosity than the average person” LOL everyone needs more of those in their circles.
@Frod Sorry to have inadvertently triggered you with the abbreviation ;) The T&R I was referring to is Judith Herman’s book called Trauma and Recovery
BTW, I thought about linking the book review from the primal- page site because it would amuse me to do so, but opted for the ^ instead.
Following the intro and some psych studies history, the book provides within such chapters relevant to PTSD and C-PTSD and the associated experiences as:
Chapter 2: Terror
Chapter 3: Disconnection
Chapter 4: Captivity
 The second section goes on Stages of Recovery
My previous comments about its’ usefulness and shortcomings are on this thread
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline SEKTO

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2010, 07:21:03 PM »
I could expand on my earlier posts about instrumental/operant conditioning and how do undo the long-term effects of (such as explaining concepts of extinction and spontaneous recovery), but I'd have to use a lot of technical psych jargon in order to explain things, and might inadvertently trigger somebody.  Does anybody mind if I proceed?

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2010, 08:02:06 PM »
Why not? I’ve got xanax and sorbet on hand so fire or ehm trigger away.
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline SEKTO

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2010, 08:07:38 PM »
Will do later.  Right now I just...

Offline SEKTO

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2010, 07:15:13 PM »
For the course I described above, we are using a textbook entitled Learning and Memory (second edition) by Purdy, Markham, Schwartz, and Gordon.

This book has whole chapters explaining the answers to questions just such as the one asked in the original post of this thread.

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2010, 11:17:48 PM »
I can’t say that I understand why all the preamble before posting it, but I will read with interest whenever you get around to it.

Offline SEKTO

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2010, 09:20:19 AM »
Anyway, we haven't even started studying instrumental/operant conditioning yet, and have up to this point focused only in classical conditioning, and the various studies that have been done and the models explaining how it works.  We haven't even gotten to IC/OC yet.  

My answer in any case to the original question is still the same: is it possible to reverse the effects of OC?  Yes, but the only ways that I know of and would recommend involve mental health professionals and/or medications.  There is no "do-it-yourself" solution.

Offline SEKTO

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2010, 05:50:08 PM »
Personally, I was in an immersive CBT environment and in three sessions a week for a whole year while at MH, and I now go to sessions with a different therapist every other week.  Also, bi-weekly support groups.

Being at MH was triggering and I experienced a lot of unpleasant somatic responses at first, but gradually I came to feel safe there and slowly came to a point of "mastery" (Herman's word) over my own emotional triggers.

Presently, I practice DBT (mindfulness) techniques and in addition take Buspar for anxiety.  

This stuff really works, if you are willing to work it.  And it ain't easy, it's uncomfortable and downright painful at times.  But it's the only real way I know if to overcome the psychological traumas incurred in an abusive thought-reform environment.  I have come a long, long way in my healing over the last couple of years.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 07:22:19 PM by SEKTO »

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2010, 06:33:43 PM »
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 05:40:42 PM by DannyB II »
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline SEKTO

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2010, 03:44:15 PM »
Would asking you to elaborate more on DBT be going off topic, also Immersive CBT...

Yes, it would.

Please don't be unkind, just trying to fit into a conversation that looks like I can benefit from personally.

The topic of this thread is "Reversing Operant Conditioning," not "Danny Bennison."

CBT= Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
DBT= Dialectical Behavior Therapy

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2010, 05:30:51 PM »
Quote from: "SEKTO"
Would asking you to elaborate more on DBT be going off topic, also Immersive CBT...

Yes, it would.

Please don't be unkind, just trying to fit into a conversation that looks like I can benefit from personally.

The topic of this thread is "Reversing Operant Conditioning," not "Danny Bennison."

CBT= Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
DBT= Dialectical Behavior Therapy

I asked you to not be unkind, please respect that. If not, refrain from saying anything to me. Thank You.

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2010, 05:41:06 PM »

Would asking anyone to elaborate more on DBT be going off topic, also Immersive CBT, is this what we are talking about; Virtual Reality Therapy Innovates ADHD treatment « http://eonrealityblog.wordpress.com/201 ... t-of-adhd/
It is the first program for ADHD treatment that allows clinicians to use Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) techniques in an immersive, dynamic 3D environment ...

[/b]

I was wondering if anyone who is out there could elaborate more on my requests, I feel they are pertinent to this conversation.
Ash-kun, I do not believe this is off the topic of the thread you started.

Offline SEKTO

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2010, 06:02:16 PM »
Quote from: "DannyB II"

Would asking anyone to elaborate more on DBT be going off topic, also Immersive CBT, is this what we are talking about; Virtual Reality Therapy Innovates ADHD treatment « http://eonrealityblog.wordpress.com/201 ... t-of-adhd/
It is the first program for ADHD treatment that allows clinicians to use Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) techniques in an immersive, dynamic 3D environment ...

[/b]

I was wondering if anyone who is out there could elaborate more on my requests, I feel they are pertinent to this conversation.

With respect: your Google is as good as ours, Danny.

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2010, 06:12:47 PM »
Quote from: "SEKTO"
Quote from: "DannyB II"

[/b]

With respect: your Google is as good as ours, Danny.

I understand that and I have done this, I also looked up Inculcated links but if I have never experienced the study, lab, training or counseling then it is hard for me to comprehend. I was guessing this is why everyone was interested in you because of your training/schooling and your personal experience. I am not asking for a litany of personal experiences, just some articulation.
I will continue on my own to read but it is so much better when someone shares their experience, like Ash-tun asked.