Author Topic: Longfellows Youth Academy  (Read 6136 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Bishop Eddie Long scandal, divorce info: Pastor denies...
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2010, 11:45:08 AM »
Here's that Examiner.com piece that Inculcated linked to earlier:

(Too many hundreds of comments on this to even begin to post them...)

-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Examiner.com
Bishop Eddie Long scandal, divorce info: Pastor denies 2010 controversy (VIDEOS)

Paula Mooney · Christian TV Examiner
September 22nd, 2010 9:56 am ET

Bishop Eddie Long scandal, divorce info: Pastor denies new 2010 accusations (VIDEOS)
Photo: WATCH VIDEO BELOW

The Bishop Eddie Long scandal has rocked the Christian world, sending folks to Google with searches  for the following terms at the moment: Bishop Eddie Long scandal, Eddie Long, Bishop Eddie Long divorce, Bishop Eddie Long divorce 2010, Pastor Eddie Long.

Bishop Eddie Long New Birth website down in wake of sex lawsuit (CNN.com video)

And CNN is giving insight to some of those searcher's questions, including Bishop Long's divorce from his first wife:

"He built an intimate bond with many members of his church by talking about his private failings: his divorce from his first wife; being rejected by his father; and being fired from a job in corporate America," writes CNN's John Blake.

"We categorically deny the allegations," Bishop Eddie Long has said about the scandal through his spokesman, Art Franklin.

Bishop Long is expected to mount a fierce counter-attack, but in the meantime, the lawyer for the men accusing the pastor of some pretty heinous crimes, and those videos are rising up CNN.com's most popular video list as folks find them:

Watch video of lawyer speaking about Bishop Eddie Long scandal, claiming oral sex took place...

She says that a trip for Anthony's 18th birthday was taken to Auckland, New Zealand, wherein the lawyer claims oral sodomy took place.

Bishop Eddie Long reportedly told him that it was "important to follow your leader and your master," and that alleged oral sex acts didn't necessarily mean they were homosexual.

The scandalous lawsuit next claims that trips to the W Hotel in New York's Times Square and the W Hotel in Dallas were taken with the pastor. Anthony reportedly said he saw a zoo in town in Texas, and wished he'd gone to the zoo instead of accompanying the Bishop everywhere he went.

The lawyer claims Long said he was releasing his love and passion – and that during a special ceremony that she likened to a wedding for a covenant, candles where present and the exchange of jewelry took place.

Watch the video of the lawyer for the men who brought the lawsuit against Bishop Eddie Long here...

"I will always have your back and you will always have mine," Bishop Long allegedly told Anthony.

Meanwhile, black Christian folks like me are perhaps waiting and praying with confusion and sadness over the whole Bishop Eddie Long scandal.

I've appreciated the teachings of the man I've grown to admire for showing us that working out and having muscles and being strong can be cool. I've seen plenty of moments of Bishop Long preaching to men at Mega Fest, or video clips on Youtube – and I even got the chance to see him in person earlier this year when he was the headlining guest preacher speaker at my own church.

And so now, when I awoke this morning staring out of the window and my husband asked me if I was okay, I said yeah.

But my mind was "stayed" on this Bishop Eddie Long scandal – wondering if this controversy is going to end up like Pastor Ted Haggard or not, wanting him to come out and say more about what's really going on.

The "touch not mine anointed, and do my prophets no harm" (Psalm 105:15) is being quoted today -- but interestingly, people are pointing to the ways we overuse it and use it to cover up harm.

Either way this saddens me now. If the young men are lying and just bringing lawsuit as retaliation for the thefts of Bishop Long's things and are being used as instruments of Satan, then will Bishop Long's name always be besmirched with these blaring headlines that the CNN writer seems to use just to further his own hidden agenda?

There's a line in the Bible about us not giving other room to deny the gospel because of our own hypocritical actions. Folks are already lighting up comments sections alternately dismissing preachers altogether – and others fervently defending the Bishop.

Whatever is the truth, the Kingdom of God will prevail.

Read more at CNN.com about Bishop Eddie Long scandal...

Copyright © Clarity Digital Group LLC d/b/a Examiner.com.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Bishop Eddie Long Faces 3rd Sex Coercion Lawsuit
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2010, 11:45:13 PM »
CBS News.com
ATLANTA, Sept. 22, 2010

Bishop Eddie Long Faces 3rd Sex Coercion Lawsuit
Megachurch Pastor Accused of Seducing Male Church Members with Cars, Money and Trips

(AP)   Attorneys representing two men who say a prominent pastor of a 25,000-member megachurch near Atlanta coerced them into a sexual relationship have filed a third lawsuit on behalf of another young male member of his church.

Attorney B.J. Bernstein said Wednesday the allegations in the lawsuit are similar to the previous civil complaints filed late Tuesday.

The complaints were filed in DeKalb County State Court against Bishop Eddie Long. The Associated Press generally does not identify people who say they were victims of sexual impropriety.

The men who filed the lawsuit were 17- and 18-year-old members of the church when they say Long abused his spiritual authority to seduce them with cars, money, clothes, jewelry, international trips and access to celebrities.

Craig Gillen, Long's attorney, says the pastor "categorically denies the allegations."

Bernstein said that when the relationships started, the plaintiffs were past the legal age of consent in Georgia, which is 16.

"Defendant Long has utilized his spiritual authority to coerce certain young male members ... into engaging in sexual acts and relationships for his own personal sexual gratification," the lawsuits read.

Long has called for a national ban on same-sex marriage and his church counsels gay members to become straight. In 2004, he led a march with Bernice King to her father's Atlanta grave to support a national constitutional amendment to protect marriage "between one man and one woman."

He also has released several gospel albums, authored books on relationships and spirituality, and hosts a weekly television program.

Bernstein said she opened her investigation after getting a call from one of the boys. She said her law office is now broadening the investigation.

"We are taking calls and we do believe, based on what the boys' statements are, that there are other victims," she said.

Although the relationships started when the plaintiffs were past the legal age of consent in Georgia — which is 16 — she said Long abused his "spiritual authority" to coerce her clients into engaging in sexual acts.

Bernstein also said that Bishop made an excessive number of phone calls and e-mails to her clients. She said most of the notes were not crude, but several of them asked the clients to send him pictures. She said she will subpoena Long for his records.

"It's an irrational number of contacts," she said.

When asked about a possible motive for the accusations, Gillen referred to a break-in at Long's office in June. Bernstein said one of the plaintiffs is facing a criminal burglary charge in the incident, but she said the break-in was a way of lashing out at Long.

Bernstein said she contacted the U.S. Attorney's Office earlier this month when she became aware of the young men's allegations. She did not know what action, if any, the agency planned to take. She said she did not contact DeKalb County authorities because Long and his church have strong ties to county officials.

Patrick Crosby, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's Office in Atlanta, would not comment on whether federal prosecutors are investigating Long.

Georgia Bureau of Investigation spokesman John Bankhead said Wednesday his office wasn't investigating. And Orzy Theus of the DeKalb County District Attorney's office said Wednesday that county prosecutors do not plan to be involved.

"That's a civil matter. They were over the age of consent, that's not a criminal matter," said Theus.

Long was appointed pastor of New Birth in 1987. Then, the church had about 150 members. Less than four years later, the church had grown to more than 8,000 members. Athletes and entertainers claim membership at the church.

Long's church was among those named in 2007 in a Senate committee's investigation into a half-dozen Christian ministries over their financing.

Today, New Birth sits on 250 acres and has more than 25,000 members, a $50 million, 10,000-seat cathedral and more than 40 ministries — including the Longfellows Youth Academy, a tuition-based program for young men 13 to 18.

The New Birth campus was quiet Wednesday morning, with no unusual activity. Administrative staff referred media inquiries to Long's spokesman and people at the church declined to comment on the situation.

© MMX, The Associated Press.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Comments for "Bishop Eddie Long Faces 3rd Sex Coercion Lawsu
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2010, 10:52:42 AM »
Comments left for the above article, "Bishop Eddie Long Faces 3rd Sex Coercion Lawsuit" (Sept. 22, 2010, CBS News / AP), #s 1-27:

by case10000 September 22, 2010 4:05 PM EDT
    Does the Pope even have a glue or does he desire for the church to self destruct?
    by pd417 September 22, 2010 6:11 PM EDT
      What does the Pope have to do with this? This isn't a Catholic church. This is one of those storefront Baptist churchs that got lucky and grew under the questionable "leadership" of Eddie Long. Look at his picture, gold jewlery, custom suits. Does he look like a reputable bishop? Not likely. Just another criminal and scam artist using religion as a front.
    by servorum September 23, 2010 8:50 AM EDT
      case10000 Hey moron, leave the Catholic Church out of this. Don't you know the difference between Baptists and the Catholic Church? Please.
    [/list]
    by meboard September 22, 2010 4:26 PM EDT
      What do they say? Third times a charm???
    by OLHIPPY September 22, 2010 4:56 PM EDT
      LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT....OLE BISHOP LONG HAS COERCED 2 MALE LONGFELLOW MEMBERS INTO SEX.....LUCKILY THE 2 ARE BEING HANDLED , OR STOOD UP FOR BY B.J BERNSTEIN...... HOPE THEY GET A FAIR SHAKE...S
    by ddhinnyc September 22, 2010 5:13 PM EDT
      This so-called "bishop" drove a Bentley. The members of his congregation got what they deserved. They knew exactly what he was.
    by stinger1z September 22, 2010 5:20 PM EDT
      "Don't ask no questions!"
    by deohgee September 22, 2010 5:44 PM EDT
      WHACHUALLTAWKINBOT!!!
    by tbird6740 September 22, 2010 6:23 PM EDT
      Like I predicted, the day of the "Baptist" reckoning is at hand, in particular, the IFB (Independent Fundamental Baptist). Remember Bill Cabe from a few weeks ago?Slowly, but surely, the Catholic church is sliding out of first place for sexual abuse, child molestation, corruption, etc. and the Baptists, who have a had a grand old time pointing fingers at how horrible the Catholic Church is, while at the same time wiping the sweat from their brows saying "Whew! Glad they're in the spotlight and NOT US!", are being EXPOSED for the corrupt, cult-like organization they have become over the course of many decades. The cover-ups, blaming of the victims, and downright LIES are coming to the surface. For too long, Baptist pastors and church congregations have collectively chosen to keep their crimes and knowledge of crimes "within the church", rather than reporting to the police. Not only are the horrors within these houses of "God" being exposed, but steps are being taken to bring to light the horrors that occur within the unlicensed, unregulated, BIG $ MAKING children's group homes that these churches support. Just like the one Bill Cabe ran back in the early 90's that the media refuses to talk about. The state of NC is FULL of these same type places, one in particular that is operated by a man with a prior child abuse conviction in SC. To all Baptist pastors: If you are of the opinion that the vile actions occuring within your denomination should be handled "within the church" rather than reported to the police, then you are DIRECTLY contributing to this problem. It's time to PURGE the filth from your midst and make a public example of these people. Otherwise your denomination will continue to be a haven for criminals and sexual predators. These pieces of trash have even earned their own website:
    http://www.stopbaptistpredators.com Bill Cabe has his own spot on it now.[/list]
      by al_nita September 23, 2010 7:12 AM EDT
        There is nothing hidden that shall not be revealed. The LORD GOD ALMIGHTY is no respecter of persons. Each one of us will be exposed when that day comes...and let us know if even you are able to stand.
      [/list]
      by JDAD2 September 22, 2010 6:41 PM EDT
        bishop in a bentley............hes a giver
      by formrusmcsgt September 22, 2010 8:27 PM EDT
        He'll claim all three work for the devil or some such drivel....
        by tbird6740 September 22, 2010 9:56 PM EDT
          you don't know how close you are to hitting the nail on the head with this one! he will claim persecution because he is a MAN OF GOD! This is so typical of a BUSTED Baptist minister............
        by tbird6740 September 22, 2010 9:57 PM EDT
          go to: stopbaptistpredators.com
        by al_nita September 23, 2010 7:09 AM EDT
          Well it's hard to believe they're working for the LORD.
        [/list]
        by memcats September 23, 2010 12:59 AM EDT
          Yes that right bring me all of your tithes so that I may live the life style of the rich and famous at my congregation expense. When will preachers start to teach the truth about the tithe. We are no longer under the old testament, but slick preachers will continue to preach the lie about tithing in order to fill their pockets with filthy money as the bible warned.
          by al_nita September 23, 2010 6:46 AM EDT
            Tithe was not a law, even though in Old Testament, it was an act of faith. Abraham was the first to offer a tithe and that was before Moses was born through whom "the laws" came and it was used to take care of the priests & their families. In the New Testament, the believers brought ALL they had and laid it at the apostles' feet. The money was used to meet the needs of the followers of Christ. When Annais & Sapphira lied about the amount they'd given, they dropped dead. Read the Bible, if you continue in HIS word you will know the truth.
          [/list]
          by tmn September 23, 2010 1:27 AM EDT
            Perhaps they longed for a long Long...
          by user000049586849302948603 September 23, 2010 5:37 AM EDT
            What is it with all these bible thumping, holy rollers who can't seem to keep their hands out of little boys' pants and at the same time insist that we can't have a moral society without sharing their ridiculous belief system?
          by tbird6740 September 23, 2010 6:22 AM EDT
            If you or anyone you know are a victim of abuse within the Baptist denomination, ESPECIALLY the IFB (Independent Fundamental Baptist)whether it be by a pastor, elder, ANY member of your congregation, as well as a victim of abuse at one of the THOUSANDS of church supported residential children's home, i.e. Reclamation Ranch (Jack Patterson), Heritage Boys Academy, Second Chance Ranch/King Family Ministries (Olen/Olin King), Hephzibah House, Rebecca (Lester Roloff), New Bethany (Mack Ford),etc.), and are encourage to KEEP SILENT, or let the situation be handled WITHIN YOUR CHURCH, there IS an organization to help you. Jocelyn Zichterman is the founder of the Freedom From Abuse Network.
          http://www.freedomfromabuse.net/ Mrs. Zichterman played a central role in the conviction Ernie Willis, a CHURCH DEACON who raped a 15 yr old female member of his church and impregnated her. Chuck Phelps, The pastor of Trinity Baptist Church, upon being told of this, chose to handle it "within the church", resulting his his forcing the victim of this rape to stand in front of her church congregation and APOLOGIZE for "seducing" Willis. http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepubli ... e0528.html This blaming of the victims has GOT TO STOP! If you are a Baptist pastor, and choose to handle allegations of this type WITHIN YOUR CHURCH, rahter than reporting it to the police, then you are CENTRALLY CONTRIBUTING to this problem. No wonder so many people are turned off by religion! Purge the filth from your midst and make EXAMPLES of these pedophiles and sexual predators you harbor, or you will find that more and more people will be turned off by the whole concept of GOD![/list]
            by tbird6740 September 23, 2010 6:31 AM EDT
              And don't think for ONE MINUTE that situations such as what this article is about or the Ernie Willis case is uncommon. Baptist pedophiles and sexual predators have earned their own website:
            http://stopbaptistpredators.org/index.htm[/list][/list]
            by al_nita September 23, 2010 7:04 AM EDT
              "He permitted no man to oppress them and He reproved kings for their sakes: Do not touch My anointed ones,and do My prophets no harm."(Psalm 105:14-15) "For we know Him who said, 'VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY' And again, 'THE LORD WILL JUDGE HIS PEOPLE.' It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the Living GOD. " (Hebrews 10:30-31) The devil comes to steal, kill, destroy. That's his sole purpose. It is written..... and if you don't know the truth, don't be foolish by speaking lies. REPEAT: It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the LIVING GOD.
              by tbird6740 September 23, 2010 7:07 AM EDT
                How do you tell the difference between the REAL anointed ones, and the SELF-PROFESSED and SELF-SERVING anointed ones? Like the ones on the "stopbaptistpredators" website? Give us some insight, if you THINK you know!
              by tbird6740 September 23, 2010 7:12 AM EDT
                ho hum. Another TYPICAL MOVE. Nothing of SUBSTANCE to say, so you HIDE behind a verse of scripture.
              by tbird6740 September 23, 2010 7:48 AM EDT
                And if I could add regarding your chosen verse: "For we know Him who said, 'VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY' And again, 'THE LORD WILL JUDGE HIS PEOPLE.' It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the Living GOD. " (Hebrews 10:30-31) Perhaps that is EXACTLY what is happening. Those within churches who have made it their duty to hide, cover up and HARBOR sex offenders and pedophiles just might be falling into the hands of the living God! And they SHOULD be terrified!
              [/list]
              by pollroller1 September 23, 2010 8:33 AM EDT
                A crooked preacher that's gay. Imagine that. LOL
              by pritty_ girl23 September 23, 2010 10:28 AM EDT
                I think it is disgusting that this man adorn's himself as the secoond coming, and acts like he is holier than Christ himself, he in his higher image as exposed himself as a liar and a cheat and a peodophile predator, I feel sorry for these young minds that he has corrupted, making a mockery of the Word of God and their innocence. Romans 8, making the uncorruptible God a corruptible thing, these young men must be confused and have a deep down hatred of the church, what about those christians who go around insisting that the eddie longs of the world are men who are ordained from God to preach the Word, bible bashing the vulnerable to do as they say. God help us all. I do not trust no man sorry just the the inspired Word consecrated by God himself thru prayers.

Copyright ©2010 CBS Interactive Inc.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
              Eddie Long | Lawsuits are talk of Atlanta
              « Reply #33 on: October 01, 2010, 12:06:13 PM »
              METRO ATLANTA / STATE NEWS 4:19 p.m. Wednesday, September 22, 2010
              Bishop Eddie Long | Lawsuits are talk of Atlanta

By Larry Hartstein and Mike Morris
              The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Reaction to the lawsuits alleging sexual coercion against Bishop Eddie Long reverberated both locally and nationally Wednesday morning -- and that was before a third suit was filed Wednesday afternoon.

Eddie Long (holding torch) and Bernice King at the start of a 2004 march against gay marriage and other issues at the Martin Luther King National Historic Site. Nick Arroyo, AJC

The third suit was filed in DeKalb County Superior Court, said a spokeswoman for attorney B.J. Bernstein.

Long was not immediately available Wednesday, but is holding a news conference Thursday morning.

CNN and Good Morning America both ran pieces on the lawsuits, as did the local TV news shows.

It was a major topic on local urban-themed radio stations. On the "Frank and Wanda Morning Show" on V-103, host Frank Ski held off on discussing the lawsuits until after 8 o'clock because, he said, "we're going to get the kids off to school" first.

Ski is a 12-year member of Long's New Birth Missionary Baptist Church in Lithonia. In an interview with the AJC, Ski said his reaction is one of "extreme support."

The entryway of New Birth Missionary Baptist Church at 6400 Woodrow Rd in Lithonia. John Spink http://www.newbirth.org -- has been inaccessible since the story broke Tuesday evening. The reason for the site's problems were not immediately known.

© 2010 The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
              Atlanta pastor to respond to lawsuits
              « Reply #34 on: October 01, 2010, 12:16:04 PM »
              At least two additional videos are available at the link to the below article, i.e.:

• "Minister accused of coercion"
              • "Megachurch pastor under fire"

(Too many thousands of comments to include here...)

CNN.com
              Atlanta pastor to respond to lawsuits

By the CNN Wire Staff
              September 22, 2010 10:48 p.m. EDT

VIDEO: Spokesman denies claims against bishop

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

• Eddie Long is planning a Thursday news conference, a spokesman says
                  [li]Another lawsuit is filed against pastor Eddie Long
                • Long's spokesman says the lawsuits are "without merit"
                • The spokesman says Long's church members have rallied around him
                [/li][/list][/size]
                Atlanta, Georgia (CNN) -- Atlanta-based megachurch pastor Eddie Long, accused of coercing young men into sexual relationships, will go on radio and make a statement Thursday following civil lawsuits a spokesman has termed a "shakedown" for money.

Long's appearances will follow Wednesday's filing of another lawsuit, in DeKalb County, Georgia, State Court. It was brought on behalf of Jamal Parris, now 23, who was a teenager at the time he joined Long's church.

The suit, which claims Long encouraged Parris to call him "Daddy," also names the church and a youth academy as defendants.

Allegations that Long coerced young male church members and employees into sex are "a case of retaliation and a shakedown for money by men with some serious credibility issues," Art Franklin, the pastor's spokesman, said Wednesday.

Long "categorically and adamantly denies these allegations," Franklin said. "There's been a lot of chatter since yesterday, but these complaints that have been filed are definitely without merit."

Long will make a statement Thursday morning, he said. Long's attorney and supporters are expected to stand with him.

Syndicated columnist and CNN political analyst Roland Martin said on Twitter that he will talk with Long at 7:15 a.m. ET Thursday on "The Tom Joyner Morning Show," a syndicated radio program.

Parris joined New Birth Missionary Baptist Church in 2001, when he was 14. Long counseled Parris when the latter talked about his strained relationship with his father and got him a job as a summer camp counselor at New Birth, the suit states.

The suit, also filed by attorney B.J. Bernstein, claims Long engaged in sexual acts with Parris. The young man eventually became a church employee and served as personal assistant to Long and traveled with him, the suit says. The pastor continued to engage in sexual activity with Parris and gave him money, trips and gifts, the suit says.

It says Parris left the church in late 2009, "disillusioned, confused and angry about his relationship with Defendant Long." The bishop manipulated and deceived Parris into thinking that the acts were a "healthy component of his spiritual life," the suit states.

The civil action filed Wednesday contends that Long's LongFellows Youth Academy and New Birth knew or should have known of Long's behavior and that they failed to warn Parris, who lives in Colorado, and his family, thereby allowing the minister to coerce and induce Parris into engaging in sexual relationships with him.

The lawsuits describe LongFellows as an offshoot of New Birth. According to its website, the group's vision is to "love, live and lead. We successfully meet the demanding needs of young men through a vigorous Rites of Passage Curriculum that helps young men realize their hidden potential and discover their masculine heart."

Parris also claims that the institutions were negligent in retaining the pastor.

Lawsuits filed Tuesday in DeKalb County by two men allege that Long used his position as a spiritual authority and bishop to coerce young male members and employees of his New Birth Missionary Baptist Church into sex. CNN was the first to report on the lawsuits.

"Defendant Long has a pattern and practice of singling out a select group of young male church members and using his authority as Bishop over them to ultimately bring them to a point of engaging in a sexual relationship," the suits allege.

Long is considered one of the nation's top African-American preachers. His church has more 25,000 members, according to the suit, and was the site of Coretta Scott King's 2006 funeral, attended by then-President George W. Bush and three former presidents. King was the widow of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

One of the men, Anthony Flagg, 21, alleges in his suit that Long took him on overnight trips to a half-dozen American cities in recent years.

"Long shared a bedroom and engaged in intimate sexual contact with plaintiff Flagg including kissing, massaging, masturbating of plaintiff Flagg by defendant Long and oral sexual contact," the suit says.

The other man, Maurice Murray Robinson, 20, claims Long took him to Auckland, New Zealand, in October 2008 for his 19th birthday and engaged in oral sex with him, Robinson's suit alleges.

"Following the New Zealand trip, defendant Long regularly engaged in sexual touching, and other sexual acts with plaintiff Robinson," Robinson's suit alleges.

Bernstein, who represents Parris, Flagg and Robinson, said Wednesday that the youths' accounts are "really strong."

She said she has worked with sexual abuse victims and finds the two believable because of "the emotion. The intensity. The very strong description of what sexual acts occurred. ... This is not just someone giving a vague thing, 'Oh, yeah, one time he did this,' or a couple of times."

But Franklin told CNN's"American Morning" on Wednesday that the two men "are not innocent victims" and that they have known "the wrong side of the law" before, including being charged with breaking into Long's office in June to steal items, such as jewelry, that could be sold for cash.

"Let your viewers be the judge of their actions," Franklin said.

In June, Robinson was arrested and charged with burglary in connection with a break-in at Long's office. An iPhone, iPad and other items -- more than $1,300 worth -- were taken from the office, according to the police report. Bernstein said Wednesday that about $100,000 worth of items were taken, including black diamonds.

On Tuesday, Bernstein said the theft was Robinson's attempt to retaliate against the pastor. She said that once Robinson began telling others about his experience with Long, "he realized he wasn't the only one."

"It made [Robinson] angry," she said.

She said Wednesday that Robinson's anger also stemmed from a May incident in which he sought comfort and solace from Long and instead was the target of a sexual advance. That "created a frenzy inside him," she said.

Franklin told CNN'sJohn Roberts, "This is actually, John, a case of retaliation and a shakedown for money by men with some serious credibility issues trying to mount their own defense. This is something that went from 48 hours of contact with the attorney flinging outrageous demands to this dog-and-pony show we are seeing."

Asked about the relationship between Long and the young men, Franklin said that both were part of the LongFellows program at the church.

Franklin said that both Robinson and Flagg were among many young people employed by the church. Asked whether they ever traveled with Long, he said that a number of people travel with him.

On whether the two youths ever shared a room with Long, Franklin said, "That is one of the allegations that we learned through the media that's being made by the attorneys and something our defense team will have to respond to.

"We have not even seen the lawsuit ourselves," he said. "That's something our attorneys will have to go through."

On the reaction from Long's congregation, Franklin said, "Last night, it was a very spirit-filled worship service from a church family that loves its spiritual leader very much." He said Long is drawing strength from his family, the New Birth family and other supporters.

"Before rushing to any judgment on Bishop Long and this court of public opinion taking place right now, I really do hope you will look at these guys that are throwing the mud and consider the source," he said.

Asked how she can prove that sexual contact took place, Bernstein said, "I am ready to put them under oath. Bishop Long can spend money on the best attorneys in this world, and they can question those young men, and then I'll get to question the bishop, and then we'll really see what's going on."

She said she will subpoena records of an "excessive number of phone calls" between Long and the young men, along with e-mails, credit card receipts and other items. Bernstein said she had alerted federal authorities about the situation.

Long frequently denounces homosexual behavior. A 2007 article in the Southern Poverty Law Center's magazine called him "one of the most virulently homophobic black leaders in the religiously based anti-gay movement."

Both plaintiffs said the pastor, his church and church employees gave them cash and lavish gifts that ranged from cars to college tuition.

The lawsuits also said that Long framed the sexual relationships as religious in nature.

"They were groomed for it, from 14 to 17 years old," Bernstein said Wednesday. "He gets to know them and gets the trust, and then bit by bit -- first it's a hug. It's just like any sexual predator. Or we're sitting watching the football game, and you put your legs up on their lap ... One of the boys described going to the gym, 'Can you massage my neck?' and then there's another massage, and it just slowly breaks down. Ask any victim of sexual abuse. It is a progression."

The suits allege that Long chose the plaintiffs to be his "Spiritual Sons," a program that allegedly includes other young men from the church.

"Spiritual Sons are taken on public and private jets to U.S. and international destinations, housed in luxury hotels and given access to numerous celebrities including entertainment stars and politicians," the suit alleges.

Flagg moved into a home owned by another New Birth pastor when he was a high school junior, according to the suit, where Long would sometimes share a bed with him. Flagg eventually was put on the church's payroll, his suit alleges, with Long personally delivering his checks.

Flagg's suit says that Long presided over a spiritual "covenant" ceremony between the two of them.

"It was essentially a marriage ceremony, with candles, exchange of jewelry and biblical quotes," Bernstein said Tuesday. "The bishop [told] him 'I will always have your back, and you will always have mine.' "

The families of both young men moved to Georgia in order to join Long's church, she said Wednesday.

Robinson's suit alleges that "Defendant Long would use Holy Scripture to discuss and justify the intimate relationship between himself and Plaintiff Robinson."

The lawsuits are seeking unspecified amounts of punitive damages from Long on various counts, ranging from negligence to breach of fiduciary duty.

Bernstein said she warned the young men they would be "crucified" for making the allegations, "and they just said, 'We have to do it, and we know there are others.' "

© 2010 Cable News Network. Turner Broadcasting System, Inc.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                3rd Lawsuit Filed Against Bishop Long In Sex Scandal
                « Reply #35 on: October 01, 2010, 01:56:09 PM »
                WSBTV.com
                3rd Lawsuit Filed Against Bishop Long In Sex Scandal

Posted: 7:34 pm EDT September 21, 2010 · Updated: 10:21 pm EDT September 22, 2010

Attorney B.J. Bernstein said the above picture of Eddie Long was sent to young men who attended Longfellows Youth Academy.

ATLANTA -- Prominent Atlanta attorney B.J. Bernstein released cell phone pictures Wednesday of megachurch pastor Eddie Long – the same day that a third lawsuit was filed accusing the Atlanta-area bishop of sexual abuse.

SLIDESHOW: Plaintiffs' Attorney Releases Photos [accessible at link]

Three men have come forward accusing Long of coercing them into a sexual relationship.

Bernstein, who represents the three plaintiffs, said the pictures were sent to young men who attended Longfellows Youth Academy. She did not specify whether the plaintiffs also received the pictures.

In the latest lawsuit, the plaintiff, Jamal Parris, detailed how Long allegedly gave him his personal cell phone number two weeks after the two first met. Parris also alleged that Long encouraged him to call him "daddy." According to the suit, Parris' father had not been a positive figure in his life.

Parris said he joined New Birth in 2001. He said he later became Long's personal assistant, and that Long would ask him to remain in his private office after church, where Long engaged in sexual misconduct with Parris, according to the suit. Parris said he eventually left the church and later found out from other young male church members that they too had sexual contact with the bishop, according to the suit.

Since the first two lawsuits went public Tuesday, Bernstein said her office has taken several calls and believes that there are other victims. Bernstein said she opened her investigation after getting a call from one of the men.

The first two plaintiffs, Maurice Robinson and Anthony Flagg, claimed that Long used his position as a spiritual counselor and leader to take the young men on trips out of state and performed sexual acts with them. In the lawsuits, the men accuse Long of sexually abusing them, as well as several other young male church members and employees.

WATCH: 3rd Lawsuit Filed Against Bishop Long

The lawsuits also name New Birth Missionary Baptist Church at 6400 Woodrow Road in Lithonia as a defendant.

At a news conference Tuesday, Bernstein told reporters that the alleged abuse occurred when the plaintiffs were 17 and 18 years old. Robinson and Flagg are now 20 and 21 years old.

Bernstein described Long's relationship with the boys as odd.

"It was essentially a marriage ceremony where there were candles, (an) exchange of jewelry and biblical quotes given," said Bernstein.

During the conference, Bernstein also revealed that one of the plaintiffs was arrested in connection with a June 13 burglary at New Birth. Channel 2 first reported details of the break-in, in which DeKalb police said two men wearing dark hooded tops and white gloves broke into Long's office and made off with high-end electronics, including Long’s iPad, and jewelry.

Bernstein said she expects Long’s attorneys to bring up that arrest when addressing the abuse allegations.

“Maurice (Robinson) immediately told what he did when he was confronted about it. He returned the black diamonds, the gold, the things that he had in the bishop’s office,” Bernstein said.

“As bad as it is, if it weren’t for that act, I don’t know if we would have known about this because this young man exploded and realized that when he talked to his friends, he wasn’t the only one,” said Bernstein. “Bishop Long had other spiritual sons who had other relationships with him. It made him angry and confused and combusted in lashing out at the bishop in the only way possible.”

According to the lawsuit, Flagg said Long shared a bedroom on overnight trips and engaged in intimate sexual contact with him. He said Long was also involved in advising and counseling him in areas of his personal life, the lawsuit states.

A spokesman for Long told Channel 2 Action News that Long denies the allegations and later announced that a news conference would take place Thursday to address the matter.

A statement released by Craig Gillen, attorney for Long, said, "Bishop Eddie Long adamantly denies the allegations. It is unfortunate that the two young men have chosen to take this course of action. We are reviewing the complaints and will respond accordingly."

Channel 2 Action News reporters Tom Jones and Eric Philips visited Long's church and neighborhood, where many people are expressing a show of support for Long.

One church member told Jones, "I just don't believe it. I know my Bishop."

Philips went to Long's house, but was told he was not there. He spoke with one of Long's neighbors, who said she "hadn't seen him [Long] in a while."

Copyright 2010 by WSBTV.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                2005 AJC report: Long benefits from his own church's charity
                « Reply #36 on: October 07, 2010, 06:09:42 PM »
                This article re-runs a 2005 Atlanta Journal-Constitution investigative report on the finances of Eddie Long's "charitable" enterprise, the Bishop Eddie Long Ministries Inc.:

METRO ATLANTA / STATE NEWS · 7:44 p.m. Wednesday, September 22, 2010
                2005 AJC report: Bishop Eddie Long benefits from his own church's charity
                Between 1997 and 2000, Eddie Long received $3.07 million in compensation

By Special
                For the AJC

Editor's Note: This story originally ran on Aug. 28, 2005, in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Bishop Eddie Long of New Birth Missionary Baptist Church. Renee' Hannans Henry/Special

In 1995, Bishop Eddie Long established a nonprofit, tax-exempt charity to help the needy and spread the gospel.

But it was Long, leader of the largest church congregation in Georgia, who became the charity's biggest beneficiary.

The charity, Bishop Eddie Long Ministries Inc., provided him with at least $3.07 million in salary, benefits and the use of property between 1997 and 2000 -- nearly as much as it gave to all other recipients combined during those years, tax records show.

It is one of at least 20 nonprofit and for-profit corporations that Long founded after becoming pastor of New Birth Missionary Baptist Church in 1987. Long's businesses include a music publishing company and a transportation service.

The charity's compensation to Long over that four-year period included:

> A $1.4 million six-bedroom, nine-bath home on 20 acres in Lithonia.

> Use of a $350,000 luxury Bentley automobile.

> More than $1 million in salary, including $494,000 in 2000.

Long said the charity, which reported that it stopped doing business after 2000, did not solicit donations from New Birth members. It reported that its income included royalties, speaking fees and several large donations.

The charity made $3.1 million in donations to others between 1997 and 2000, the records show, but they did not contain any itemized breakdown of the donations, as required by the Internal Revenue Service.

Nonprofit groups are exempt from paying state and federal income taxes if they meet certain criteria. In return, the federal tax code says their executives' benefits may not be excessive.

Long and his wife, Vanessa, were two of the charity's four board members. The charity gave a third board member, Terrance Thornton, a $160,000 loan in 1999 to buy a home site across the street from Long's house, tax records show.

Long's tax attorney, J. David Epstein, said an independent compensation committee, along with a second committee within New Birth and a national accounting firm, oversaw those decisions. He declined to identify the firm or members of the committees.

Long, 52, defended his compensation during an interview about his charity. He's transformed New Birth, based in Lithonia, from a 300-member church to a 25,000-member megachurch with a global presence, according to the church's Web site.

"We're not just a church, we're an international corporation," Long said. "We're not just a bumbling bunch of preachers who can't talk and all we're doing is baptizing babies. I deal with the White House. I deal with Tony Blair. I deal with presidents around this world. I pastor a multimillion-dollar congregation.

"You've got to put me on a different scale than the little black preacher sitting over there that's supposed to be just getting by because the people are suffering."

Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), chairman of a Senate committee investigating lavish salaries of nonprofit executives, said leaders of tax-exempt organizations must be responsible for the public trust they've been given.

"I'm worried that a few people are confusing the ringing of a church bell with the ringing of a cash register," Grassley said in a statement in response to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution's inquiries about the charity. "When I hear about leaders of charities being provided a $300,000 Bentley to drive around in, my fear is that it's the taxpayers who subsidize this charity who are really being taken for a ride."

Bishop Eddie Long founded a nonprofit that provided him with a house and use of a Bentley. AJC File

As the popularity of televangelism, traveling religious shows and megachurches has skyrocketed, so has the money their leaders can earn. IRS enforcement of compensation rules has been light, and the agency rarely audits nonprofit groups.

In 2002 and 2003, TV evangelist and author Joyce Meyer had compensation packages of up to $900,000 approved by her ministry's board, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported. Bishop T.D. Jakes, who staged MegaFest in Atlanta this summer, has a $1.7 million mansion in Dallas, according to Time magazine.

With few exceptions, the public rarely gets a glimpse at religious leaders' compensation because churches are not required to file tax returns. Information on Long's salary and benefits was derived from the charity's tax returns, which are public records.

Churches must report to the IRS how much they pay employees, but those records are not public.

Long's charity and his church were separate organizations. The charity was incorporated under federal law as a nonprofit religious corporation -- not a church -- subject to rules to ensure accountability and prevent enrichment of executives at the public expense.

Churches and nonprofits are required to follow the same IRS rules regarding compensation. The IRS tax guide for churches and religious organizations says that neither group may "provide a substantial benefit to private interests," and their net earnings "may not [benefit] any individual." They are allowed to pay their executives "reasonable compensation."

"In general, an individual(s) salary and benefits should not be excessive and must be approved by the majority of board of directors who are unpaid and not related to the individual(s)," said IRS spokesman Mark Green in a statement.

Long's benefits went beyond reasonable compensation, said Jeff Krehely, deputy director of the National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy, a Washington-based group that promotes accountability in the philanthropic community.

"After reviewing the compensation packages of foundation executives -- including those who have been written up in the press as being excessive -- I've never seen anything quite like what Long [was] getting, when you include his salary, the house and the car," Krehely said.

This home in Lithonia was part of Bishop Eddie Long's compensation from a nonprofit, tax-exempt charity that he founded. At the time, it was valued at $1.45 million. AJC

Marcus Owens, a Washington attorney and former director of the IRS' Exempt Organizations Division, was retained by Long to look over Bishop Eddie Long Ministries as a result of inquiries about the charity.

Owens released a statement saying, "The Ministry has a comprehensive system of internal controls and policies in place that ensure that all funds are accounted for and spent for appropriate purposes under the tax code." He declined to elaborate or answer questions about the operation of the charity from 1997 to 2000.

'Touch a lot of people'

Long, accompanied by two attorneys and two publicists, talked about his charity in a conference room at New Birth's sprawling campus in south DeKalb County. He declined to answer most questions about his charity's financial transactions, leaving those responses to his attorney. He and Epstein later declined to answer follow-up questions, including whether Long had reported the house on his personal income tax return.

The church, dubbed "Club New Birth" because of the abundance of young black single professionals who attend its services, includes a school that goes through ninth grade, a fitness center and a 10,000-seat sanctuary, opened in 2001.

The church also ministers to drug addicts and prisoners, helped start a credit union near South DeKalb Mall, and has been involved in religious revivals as far away as New Zealand and Kenya.

"We touch a lot of people," Long said. "This is a world-impacting ministry, and I personally get a little offended when my integrity is questioned."

Long has drawn criticism before. In December, he and Bernice King, younger daughter of the late Martin Luther King Jr., led a march from the King Center promoting several causes. Critics said the civil rights leader would never have agreed to the march's call for a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage.

A black conservative, Long calls himself one of God's "scarred leaders," someone God uses despite moral lapses that included being fired from a job for lying on an expense report.

Long established the charity as a nonprofit religious corporation in 1995. Incorporation papers filed in New York said its purpose was spreading the gospel and that no part "of its assets, income or profit" would be distributed to any directors of the charity except for "reasonable payment."

Epstein said it was created for Long to coordinate his charitable activities, including mission trips overseas and donations to churches and orphans.

But later, the charity's compensation committee decided to use some of the charity's assets to pay Long for his work at New Birth to make up for many years when he had been underpaid, Epstein said. Long had told his charity's compensation committee previously that he didn't want to be paid the maximum amount available to him, Epstein said.

"It was appropriate to do something to make a dent in the compensation that the bishop hadn't received," Epstein said.

"Bishop Long has never received the legal amount of compensation he is due by law," said Epstein. A Philadelphia lawyer specializing in church tax law, Epstein is the producer of a video for pastors called "How To Maximize Your Clergy Salary and Benefits Package."

At one time Long also received a salary from New Birth. A church spokesman said Long no longer takes a salary, but instead accepts "love offerings" made by church members. Long would not discuss his current compensation.

Land donation

The charity took out a $1,160,000 mortgage to purchase the home in March 1998, according to DeKalb County property records. The mortgage was paid off by 2003, records show.

In October 2002, Bishop Eddie Long Ministries notified the IRS that the charity was dissolving and pledged to transfer all of its assets to New Birth Missionary Baptist Church.

The house was never transferred.

Instead, a year later, Long signed papers relinquishing the charity's interest in the home, making himself the sole owner. The same day, Christmas Eve 2003, Long took out a $300,000 loan using the house as collateral.

State law in New York requires that a nonprofit religious corporation must get court approval and notify the New York attorney general's office of its intent to transfer real estate to one of its officers. The attorney general's office said it could not find any record of the transaction or of Long's charity getting court approval.

Epstein said Long earned much of the charity's revenue through royalties, honorariums and gifts from other pastors and churches. He and Long emphasized that none of the charity's money came through soliciting New Birth members.

"I have great integrity with my congregation," Long said. "I would never take their money and use them to build my own personal happiness."

Tax and property records show, however, that New Birth accounted for more than half the charity's income in 1997. Fulton County property records show the church gave Long's charity 13.7 acres of land that year. The charity later reported selling the property for $1.4 million.

Also, a single donor accounted for 90 percent of the charity's income in 1999 and 2000, tax records show. One donor gave $1.9 million in 1999 and one donor gave $1.6 million the following year. As allowed by law, the records do not identify the donors.

Long would not say whether New Birth was the donor nor talk about the church's decision to donate land to his charity.

'Last say-so'

Long said a church board oversaw his charity's decisions to compensate him.

"It's not like I wake up and say, 'I think I want a Bentley,' " he said.

In the past, however, Long has claimed he was the final decision-maker at New Birth. In a 1999 interview, he told the Journal-Constitution how he became the unquestioned leader at his church. After presiding over New Birth's explosive growth, he said he told his congregation that a biblical leader shouldn't have to answer to a board. Long said the board relinquished its authority over him with his congregation's approval.

In his book "Taking Over," Long described the event in more detail. He wrote that after seven years at New Birth, he was frustrated by its deacon board because it was "gripping the purse strings" of the church and "telling the man of God when to jump and how high." He said he received a revelation from God, who encouraged him to get rid of the "ungodly governmental structure" at New Birth.

"That was the day I became pastor," Long wrote. "Up until that time, I was the hired preacher . . . . "

Some pastors take advantage of a lack of denominational accountability to enrich themselves, said J. Lee Grady, editor of Charisma, a national magazine that covers charismatic churches. Grady said, however, that he didn't know enough about Long's ministry to comment on it specifically.

"There are many independent churches out there today that are accountable to no one," he said. "Their board structures are controlled by a few insiders and no one can bring correction. That is not healthy. But it will not change as long as the congregations don't demand change."

Several New Birth members said they approved of Long's compensation, home and leadership style. They said church boards often limit the vision of pastors.

"I know he's going to do the right thing," said Melvin Johnson, a member of the church's elder council. "He's going to sow the seed where it's supposed to be sowed."

Johnson said there was no New Birth board or committee that can overrule Long's decisions. "He would have the last say-so in terms of what ultimate decisions are made," said Johnson, a member for 17 years.

Everett Blakes, another member, said Long recently pledged to pay off the debts of 10 families and to buy a car for every unmarried mother at the church.

Blakes said it was New Birth's duty to support Long financially.

"We have to come bearing gifts," Blakes said. "When you come before the priest and he gives a word to you, then it's your duty to meet the needs of the priest."

'Jesus wasn't poor'

Several nonprofit experts and watchdog group leaders questioned how the $1.4 million home and the Bentley contributed to the charity's stated purpose.

They cited IRS rules warning that a nonprofit religious group could lose its tax-exempt status if it provides excess economic benefits to an insider.

"An organization can be a tax-exempt entity or a for-profit entity, but not both," said Rod Pitzer, a tax expert with Wall Watchers, a North Carolina-based watchdog group that monitors the finances of large Christian organizations.

Nonprofit experts and others who viewed the charity's records at the Journal-Constitution's request said that it did not appear to have an independent board.

"With a wife approving her husband's salary, it appears that this board's stamp is really just a rubber stamp," said Grassley, the Iowa senator.

Board members other than Long did not comment for this article. Long's wife, Vanessa, declined to comment and Thornton did not return telephone calls. A fourth board member who served for several years could not be located.

Daniel Borochoff, president of the American Institute of Philanthropy, said Long shouldn't build his prosperity on the back of a nonprofit religious corporation.

"It's wrong to use tax-subsidized dollars to support luxury goods for nonprofit executives," said Borochoff. "If he wants these things, then he should get people to give him money outside of a nonprofit organization."

Long said he represented a "paradigm shift" in the black church. He said he won't be like other pastors who died broke while giving everything to congregations that "wanted them to live in poverty and preach to them about prosperity."

Any problem people may have with his charity, Long said, was rooted in some people's expectations that pastors should be poor.

"I would love to sit with you and walk with you through the Bible to show that Jesus wasn't poor," he said.

His congregation is inspired by seeing its pastor do well, Long said.

"I'm not going to apologize for anything ..."

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
                Re: Longfellows Youth Academy
                « Reply #37 on: October 08, 2010, 11:02:31 AM »
                Are we sur this guy ain't Wayne Brady?
                ?©?€~¥@

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                « Reply #38 on: October 14, 2010, 10:53:37 PM »
                Quote from: "none-ya"
                Are we sur this guy ain't Wayne Brady?
                Ya mean... this guy?

Wrong age, amongst other salient characteristics!  :rofl:

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                Megachurch had modest beginning
                « Reply #39 on: October 15, 2010, 01:59:54 AM »
                METRO ATLANTA / STATE NEWS · 6:20 a.m. Thursday, September 23, 2010
                Bishop Eddie Long | Megachurch had modest beginning
                Ministry has included anti-gay crusade

By Larry Hartstein

When Eddie Long became pastor of New Birth Missionary Baptist Church in 1987, it had about 300 members.

The entryway of New Birth Missionary Baptist Church at 6400 Woodrow Rd in Lithonia. John Spink [email protected]

Today the Lithonia congregation is 100 times as large, with a 240-acre campus, syndicated TV shows, an array of community programs and ministries, and satellite churches in other cities.

Born in North Carolina, Long, 57, worked as a manager at Ford Motor Co., then Honeywell, before pursuing the ministry. He got a Master's of Divinity degree from Atlanta's Interdenominational Theological Center in 1986.

The Christian magazine Charisma once described Long as on a mission "to reform our culture according to biblical standards. And he is not afraid to get in anyone's face to do it."

Long has crusaded against homosexuals and led a 2004 march against gay marriage.

Eddie Long (holding torch) and Bernice King at the start of a 2004 march against gay marriage and other issues at the Martin Luther King National Historic Site. Nick Arroyo, AJC

The following year, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported that a charity Long created -- Bishop Eddie Long Ministries Inc. -- made him its biggest beneficiary, supplying him with at least $1 million in salary over four years, a $1.4 million home and use of a $350,000 Bentley.

Long defended the compensation.

"We're not just a church, we're an international corporation," he told the AJC then. "We're not just a bumbling bunch of preachers who can't talk and all we're doing is baptizing babies. I deal with the White House. I deal with Tony Blair. I deal with presidents around this world. I pastor a multimillion-dollar congregation.

"You've got to put me on a different scale than the little black preacher sitting over there that's supposed to be just getting by because the people are suffering."

In 2006, Long was chosen by the family of Martin Luther King Jr. to officiate Coretta Scott King's funeral.

Long's first marriage ended in divorce, and he has used that experience as a way to connect with church members.

"I [use] my own personal struggles, what I'm going through, what I'm dealing with, what I've been through," he told Charisma magazine. "And so it immediately started getting folks to identify with me."

Long married the former Vanessa Griffin in 1990. They have four children.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                Radio interview, press conference canceled ... 3rd lawsuit
                « Reply #40 on: October 15, 2010, 08:53:20 PM »
                From the above CNN article, "Atlanta pastor to respond to lawsuits":

Long will make a statement Thursday morning, he said. Long's attorney and supporters are expected to stand with him.

Syndicated columnist and CNN political analyst Roland Martin said on Twitter that he will talk with Long at 7:15 a.m. ET Thursday on "The Tom Joyner Morning Show," a syndicated radio program.
                  [/list][/size]
                  Ah well... I guess that 3rd lawsuit kinda did a number on those plans...

DEKALB COUNTY NEWS · 11:33 a.m. Thursday, September 23, 2010
                  Bishop Eddie Long | Radio interview, press conference canceled in wake of 3rd lawsuit

By Megan Matteucci and Christian Boone

Mega-church leader Bishop Eddie Long has canceled a previously announced appearance on the Tom Joyner Morning Show Thursday after a third man filed a lawsuit accusing the prominent minister of using his pastoral influence to coerce him into a sexual relationship. In addition, Long's attorneys canceled plans for a press conference to address the growing scandal.

AP Photo/Gene Blythe, File

The syndicated radio show, heard locally on Kiss 104.1, had issued a press release saying the leader of New Birth Missionary Baptist Church would discuss the allegations on-air. However, the show's Roland Martin, who was scheduled to interview Long, said on his Twitter account early Thursday that "the lawyers have made the decision that due to the third lawsuit that Bishop not to do interviews tomorrow."

Craig Gillen, an attorney for Long, was interviewed on the radio program instead. Gillen said there was "miscommunication" about a press conference today, and that there would not be one. On Wednesday a Long representative issued a release to media members that a press conference would be held Thursday.

A lawsuit filed Wednesday by Jamal Parris, 23, a former member of New Birth Missionary Baptist Church, claims Long made Parrish call him "Daddy" and coerced him into sexual acts.

The suit, similar to two filed on Tuesday, accuses Long of using his power to force the plaintiff into a sexual relationship. In exchange, Long placed Parris and the two other men on the church's payroll, bought them cars and other gifts, and took them on lavish trips, according to the suits filed in DeKalb County Superior Court.

Long adamantly denies the allegations.

Stephen M. Brown, senior vice president of media strategy at MS & L's Atlanta office, questioned the time it's taken Long to make a personal statement about the allegations.

"Something definitive needs to be said, for sure," he said. "I think he needs to explain what the relationship was between himself and the people making these allegations and detail any misunderstandings."

Parris' allegations are similar to claims made by Anthony Flagg, 21, and Maurice Robinson, 20, who filed suits Tuesday.

Robinson and Flagg say Long began having inappropriate relations with them when they were 16. They are seeking a trial by jury and unspecified damages.

"It is unfortunate that these young men have chosen to take this course of action," Long's attorney, Craig Gillen, told the AJC Tuesday night.

Parris and his mother joined the church in 2001 when he was 14.

Within two weeks, Long gave Parris his personal cell phone number, the suit alleges.

Their relationship intensified during the 2004-05 school year, with Long often inviting Parris to his guesthouse on Snapfinger Road.

"Initially, Long engaged in sexual touching during their encounters and then escalated the activity to oral sodomy and other acts of sexual gratification," the suit reads. "Long would discuss the Holy Scripture to justify and support the sexual activity."

Parris claims he left the church in 2009 "disillusioned, confused and angry."

Attorney B.J. Bernstein, who is representing the three plaintiffs, has said they do not want to comment. Phone calls left with them and their relatives were not returned.

Meanwhile, gubernatorial candidate Roy Barnes has canceled a Friday morning fundraiser that Long was to co-host.

"While these allegations are troubling, we will refrain from commenting until all the facts are known," Barnes spokesman Emil Runge said in a prepared statement.

Bernstein claims Long abused his pastoral relationship with the men and convinced them that the sexual relationships were a "healthy component of [their] spiritual lives."

Parris' suit claims that Long took him on trips on his private jet as far away as Trinidad and Honduras.

On some of the trips with Robinson and Flagg, Long would use the alias "Dick Tracy" when he checked into hotels. According to online service Accurint, a Dick Tracey Long lives in Lithonia at the same address as Eddie L. Long.

The three suits each allege 11 counts, including fraud and negligence, against Long, the 25,000-member church and the Longfellows Youth Academy.

The three plaintiffs were each members of the academy, which is aimed at helping men "love, live and lead."

Two of the men have criminal records, including a recent arrest for a burglary at Long's office.

In June, Robinson and Anthony Boyd were charged with using a secretary's key to enter Long's personal office at the Lithonia church. Robinson and Boyd, who were captured on surveillance cameras, took an iPod, iPad and jewelry, according to a police report.

The case is still pending, said a spokesman for the district attorney.

Bernstein said Robinson and Flagg, who was there the night of the burglary but not charged, were angry at Long and seeking retaliation after learning he was involved with other men.

Court records show Flagg was charged with simple assault in 2007 and sentenced to an anger management class. A warrant was issued after he failed to show up for court, court records show.

After that arrest, Long had Flagg move into a friend's house in Lithonia, the suit alleges. Flagg was still attending Miller Grove High School at the time, but his mother thought the move would be good for him, Bernstein said.

Instead, Long used that time to engage in sex acts with Flagg, the suit alleges.

Despite that, Flagg, and Robinson, both graduated from Miller Grove in 2008. They still live in DeKalb. Parris now lives in Colorado.

The sex acts occurred when the men were 16, which is the legal age of consent in Georgia, Bernstein said. But Bernstein said some of the acts which occurred at hotels in other states could be considered criminal, which is why she contacted the U.S. Attorney's Office, Bernstein said.

A spokesman for the U.S. Attorney said Justice Department policy prohibits him from confirming or denying any possible investigations.

DeKalb school board member Eugene Walker, who has known Long for more than 20 years, said he did not believe the allegations.

"Ever since I have known him, he has reached out and lifted up our young people," Walker said. "These allegations are absolutely not true. They have accused me of a whole lot of wrong things and they, like this, weren't true. He's a great servant and I can't say anything wrong about him."

--Staff writers Jeremy Redmon and Shelia Poole contributed to this report

MORE: Lawsuits are the talk of Atlanta | Photos of the church through the years

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                  Bishop Long Scraps Interview, Repeats Denial
                  « Reply #41 on: October 16, 2010, 12:25:36 AM »
                  CBSNews.com
                  ATLANTA, Sept. 23, 2010

Bishop Long Scraps Interview, Repeats Denial
                  Pastor Accused of Coercing 3 Young Men into Sex Cancels Appearance on Tom Joyner Morning Show; Plans to Speak Sunday

In this Jan. 18 2007 file photo, Bishop Eddie Long, of the New Birth Missionary Baptist Church, in Lithonia, Ga. gestures during an interview in Lithonia.  (AP Photo/Gene Blythe, File)

(AP)   The pastor of a nationally known Atlanta-area megachurch took other young men on trips as part of a mentoring program but stands by his denial of claims that he had sex with three of them, a lawyer for the religious leader said Thursday.

Bishop Eddie Long plans his first public response to the allegations Sunday during services at his 25,000-member church, attorney Craig Gillen said on the Tom Joyner Morning Show after Long canceled an interview with the nationally syndicated radio program.

In lawsuits filed this week, three men who were members of the New Birth Missionary Baptist Church claimed Long coerced them into sexual relations with gifts including cars, cash and travel when they were 17 or 18 years old. The sprawling church in suburban Lithonia counts politicians, celebrities and the county sheriff among its members and hosted four U.S. presidents during the 2006 funeral of Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s widow, Coretta Scott King.

One of the claims in the lawsuits is that Long had sexual contact with the young men, who were enrolled in New Birth's ministry for teen boys, during trips he took them on in the U.S. and abroad. Gillen said the travel was part of a mentoring program that other young men also participated in.

"The mentoring process involving travel is not exclusive to the three plaintiffs making these allegations," Gillen said.

Gillen also read a statement from Long in which the pastor, a married father of four, said he's anxious to respond to the allegations but that his lawyer has advised him not to yet.

"Let me be clear. The charges against me and New Birth are false," Long's statement said.

Gillen also said the three making the allegations were motivated by money, adding that one of them is accused of breaking into Long's office.

In addition to canceling the radio show appearance, an expected Thursday news conference with Long was also called off.

Gillen said Long will speak directly about the allegations to his church congregation Sunday.

B.J. Bernstein, an attorney representing the plaintiffs, said she opened her investigation after getting a call from one of the men. The Associated Press normally does not name people who claim they are victims of sexual impropriety, but Bernstein said all three - Maurice Robinson, 20, Anthony Flagg, 21, and Jamal Parris, 23 - have consented to making their identities public.

Bernstein said she didn't trust local authorities to investigate the claims.

"This is a really large church that's incredibly politically powerful," Bernstein said. "There are pictures of this guy with every politician around. With something this important, how can I trust that word didn't get back to the bishop?"

DeKalb County Sheriff Thomas Brown has been a member of New Birth for more than 15 years and sits on the advisory board for Long's Longfellows Youth Academy. He said he would stand by the bishop and bristled at Bernstein's suggestion that local authorities couldn't be trusted.

"I take offense to that," he said. "It does not merit a dignified response."

Their pastor has been silent and so are most at Long's 25,000-strong church. But those who will speak say they are supporting him.

Lance Robertson, who joined New Birth nearly two decades ago and has coached youth basketball there, said Wednesday that members were hurting.

"I support and will stand with my bishop, but right now in the court of public opinion, it does not look good," Robertson said. "This affects too many people. As the bishop goes, New Birth goes. He built New Birth."

Bernstein said that her case hinges on her three clients' testimony and that she doesn't have much physical evidence backing up her complaint. Long sent dozens of e-mails and phone calls to her clients, though they weren't "overly sexual," she said. Bernstein said she plans to subpoena records from Long that will show he traveled with the young men to New York, Las Vegas, New Zealand and elsewhere.

Robertson, the church's youth basketball coach, said he wants to hear Long respond to the accusations.

Long was appointed pastor of New Birth in 1987 and built it up into a complex on 250 acres with a $50 million, 10,000-seat cathedral and more than 40 ministries. President George W. Bush and three former presidents attended the church's 2006 funeral service for Coretta Scott King. Long introduced the speakers and the Rev. Bernice King, the Kings' younger daughter, delivered the eulogy. She is also a pastor there.

The church was among those named in 2007 in a Senate committee's investigation into a half-dozen Christian ministries over their financing.

Long has called for a national ban on same-sex marriage. In 2004, he led a march with Bernice King to her father's Atlanta grave to support a national constitutional amendment to protect marriage "between one man and one woman."

This isn't the first allegation against a religious leader who has crusaded against gay marriage. Ted Haggard left New Life Church of Colorado Springs, Colo., in 2006 after a male prostitute said Haggard paid him for sex. Haggard denied the allegations but later admitted to "sexual immorality" and launched a new church in June 2010.

© MMX, The Associated Press.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                  Comments for "Bishop Long Scraps Interview, Repeats Denial"
                  « Reply #42 on: October 16, 2010, 10:46:22 AM »
                  Comments left for the above article, "Bishop Long Scraps Interview, Repeats Denial" (Sept. 23, 2010; CBSNews / AP):

by cdraper5 September 23, 2010 10:29 AM EDT
                    Let me ask you a question. How many men do you know send pics of themselves in muscle shirts to other men? I'm for Gay rights and equality but don't say you aren't when things that you do say you are.
                  by kippertoo September 23, 2010 11:22 AM EDT
                    He was on the 'down-low'. At least thats what all of the black closet gays call it. They think if they're not the one taking it in the kisser then they're not really gay. What a pig.

Copyright ©2010 CBS Interactive Inc.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
                  « Reply #43 on: October 16, 2010, 10:58:35 AM »
                  Two Questions that are still unanswered:

1)   When Bishop long was asked if he did those things to those boys he responded:  “I am not a perfect man…”  If he were innocent why didn’t he just respond:  “No I did not”?

2)   Is “Bishop Long” the name he used in church or was that his porn name?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                  « Reply #44 on: October 16, 2010, 11:31:25 AM »
                  Quote from: "Whooter"
                  Two Questions that are still unanswered:

1)   When Bishop long was asked if he did those things to those boys he responded:  “I am not a perfect man…”  If he were innocent why didn’t he just respond:  “No I did not”?
                  Actually, Bishop Eddie Long did say, "I did not do those things," or some variation of that statement. He avers these lawsuits are just a "shakedown" and/or acts of retaliation. Read back through the earlier articles.

From the most recent CNN article above, "Atlanta pastor to respond to lawsuits," a quote from Art Franklin, the pastor's spokesman:

Long "categorically and adamantly denies these allegations," Franklin said.[/list]

The "I am not a perfect man" statement refers back to Eddie Long's professed honesty and forthrightness re. the travails of his life prior to his knuckling down and becoming a true disciple of the Lord. I imagine his first wife might have plenty to say about all this!

Quote from: "Whooter"
                    2)   Is “Bishop Long” the name he used in church or was that his porn name?
                    :roflmao:  It's apparently his real name.

Some similarly salacious remarks were made on the first page of this thread re. the origins of "LONGfellow Academy," before folks realized that their jokes were actually... closer to reality than anticipated!