Yes
3 (27.3%)
No
3 (27.3%)
I don\'t know
5 (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: September 14, 2010, 01:24:30 PM

Author Topic: Do you believe in God?  (Read 4078 times)

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Re: Do you believe in God?
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 01:45:31 AM »
Quote from: "none-ya"
There is no choice at the the top to accommodate the optomistic agnostics among us.And though I havn't seen any evedence to the  contrary I still simply Hope there is a GOD.
Yeah.  I suppose at times i'm an optimistic agnostic at times.  It would suck if it all ended at death.  I'm not sure if I would call it optimism.  I expect nothing, but it would be cool to be pleasantly surprised...  If there is nothing, at least i'll miss nothing.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 01:52:08 AM »
AMEN!
?©?€~¥@

Offline SharonMcCarthy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 02:04:42 AM »
I fully believe in God, and I believe after my accident I believe more. My son would not of survived if it was not for God's will. His brain injuries were so bad. They told me it would take 6 to 9 months for him to be able to be almost back to normal, let alone walk or talk. But he is already doing almost everything. Of course walking is still in practice and his fine motor skills need some work, but you know what that kid is a miracle fully. Yes, there is a God.
"A little knowledge that acts is worth infinitely more than much knowledge that is idle."
Kahlil Gibran

Offline Samara

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010, 10:32:34 AM »
Sharon, I am so happy for your son and your family.  That is truly incredible!

But so many good people do not have this luck. Does that mean God comes through selectively? If so, that seems wrong. (And again, there is no snark in my tone. This has genuinely been a BIG question for me that makes no sense.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2010, 10:34:16 AM »
God is 100% arbitrary. No doubt about that.

It might seem wrong, but it isn't.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2010, 11:05:36 AM »
Quote from: "Whooter"
I believe Religion evolved out of need. People are thinkers and need answers to questions in order to sleep at night and religion filled that void. All the stories of Moses and the apostles etc. were probably true stories but with a biased twist to suit or support a core belief.

I think this is absolutely true.  We're the only ones aware of our own mortality and it's truly frightening to think that life just ends and that's it (used to absolutely terrify me as a small child), so we've come up with ways to comfort ourselves.  It's always been a way to explain the unexplainable (thunder, lightening way back when), but it's also for the sheer comfort that "someone" is looking out for us (hence the parental/paternal terms) and that somehow our lives, or some form of them, will continue after death.

I believe our DNA arrived via an asteroid or meteor a billion years ago and has spread onto a million or more other planets some of the DNA survived (like here on earth). There are billions of other earths. What it all means I don’t know.

Interesting.

Quote from: "Samara"

But so many good people do not have this luck. Does that mean God comes through selectively? If so, that seems wrong. (And again, there is no snark in my tone. This has genuinely been a BIG question for me that makes no sense.

Also with zero snark intended, I wonder the exact same thing......which brings up the Epicurus quote that Psy referenced.

traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2010, 11:31:10 AM »
I know this isn't the lyrics topic , but I thought it would be just as appropriate here.
God's not doin' so good in the polls

"My God" - Ian Anderson
People -- what have you done --
locked Him in His golden cage.
Made Him bend to your religion --
Him resurrected from the grave.
He is the god of nothing --
if that's all that you can see.
You are the god of everything --
He's inside you and me.
So lean upon Him gently
and don't call on Him to save you
from your social graces
and the sins you used to waive.
The bloody Church of England --
in chains of history --
requests your earthly presence at
the vicarage for tea.
And the graven image you-know-who --
with His plastic crucifix --
he's got him fixed --
confuses me as to who and where and why --
as to how he gets his kicks.
Confessing to the endless sin --
the endless whining sounds.
You'll be praying till next Thursday to
all the gods that you can count.
?©?€~¥@

Offline SharonMcCarthy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2010, 01:17:01 PM »
Quote from: "Samara"

I can completely understand the doubt, I really can....so many things bad happen...such as Tim dying, and the kids hurt so bad...then of course the road to recovery. I asked this question of my pastor, "Why does God not answer my prayers" It was explained to me like this...like parents, God has got to say no to things that can maybe effect our years down the line. The purpose we originally came to exsist for. For example: If a child wants chocolate, why do parents say not to much or no?? Because they can get sick, it is not that we do not want our children to have it but it is for there own good. OK so maybe we ask God for that jo or to keep the relationship going strong or simply to save someone's life...He has to say no to things once in awhile, not that he wants to see us hurting, what parent (God), wants to see that. But he can forsee into the future as to where that realstionship or job, etc...just is not good for us as we may think it is. There are other reasons our prayers get ignored.

Lack of Faith in God - MATT 21:22 (NLT) You can pray for anything, and if you have faith, you will receive it.

Ok so we see that verse and say, well I believe in God why am I being ignored....Well maybe our hearts are not pure enough and maybe just maybe we are still doing the bad stuff such as Gossip, lying, hurting others, etc...therefore we are not walking totally with him....see my point??

another reason- wrong motives- James 4:2-3 (NLT) Yet you don't have what you want because you don't ask God for it> And even when you ask, you don't get it because your motives are all wrong-you want only what will give you pleasure.

Ok so we look at this, and actually it makes sense, How many times have we said"God if you help me through this, I will give myself to you..I'll come to church, I'll be better person, just please see me threw this? I can admit I do it all the time...along those lines. Well God is trying to tell us something here, those promises to change just are not cutting it. God is waiting for us to show him the unselfish heart.To show him we rely on him fully and except he is in control of everything period. We are not in control of things he is.

For example: We I was holding Tim and Tim was dying I begged God to take me instead...well obviously that did not happen. It was Tim's time to go, and God needed me to remain here, I am still figuring out why, but you know there is a reason. If God listened to my prayers in sadness and confusion and desperation, then if I did die, where would that have left my children? Ok so then I also same day within minutes prayed, God save my kids please...well ok...he did, eventhough the injuries were so horrible in Mason, look at how fast and fully almost that little boy pulled threw. Honestly, he by all rights with that degree of brain injuries could of died, for 12 days he laid in a coma..12. That brings us to the date of 08-13-2010...now a month later look at the young boy, he is almost recovered. I believe it is because so many I mean many are unselfishly praying for this baby. Just look at his facebook page. Tons of people heard about this accident and were so sad by it. Ok so back on track, how many times did we say, you know what God please let so and so be in my life, and let it work out?? Ok well maybe so and so was not for us eventhough wereally loved that person..Ok so why did God allow me and Tim to be together just to take him from me....well honestly I do not fully know, but my heart says this...I would of not pasted the chance at a minute of true love then to never experience it ever. The love we had was so intense and beautiful, I believe it will carry thru me the rest of my life. He made an impact on who I am and what I will do in the future. He also opened my eyes to how to freely love. That was Tim's gift to me. So, you see maybe that was Tim's purpose, some may say thats nothing, but is it??

Ok so am I angry with God, heck yeah, what kid is not mad at their parents (God), and am I hurt by his choices???Yes, deeply. But who am I to question the big guy. I am one of many whom have had the pain and horrifying decisions and consequences.

Ok back on track...

ISA 59:1-2 (NLT) Listen! The Lord's arm is not weak to save you, nor is his ear too deaf to hear your call,.It's your sins that have cut you off from God. Because of your sons, he has turned away and will not listen anymore.

Wow pretty heavy there..Yes, we all sin, but are we changing it or remaining on the same pattern of life? I do not know if any of this helped you. I actually have been finding comfort lately in God, because the experience I went thru was so horrific for me to even understand, but honestly...the church has been helping understand the why's. Now if I can sit here and tell you Yes there is a God, and you know first hand the horror I just went threw in my life, then please take it into consideration a bit. Read the verses for yourself, and believe it or not call a pastor..I got an awesome one so if you want his number let me know. People can help you reconnect with God, but you got to be ready. But you got to have an open mind too...ok so about now there will be a few to make fun of me, and you know something It will not bother me at all..Hey, I got lucky as ever. That is a miracle fully. I saw it for myself so I got my proof, maybe you all's proof is next in different ways, but if you close yours eyes to tight you will miss the messages and the chances God is trying to show you.

OK hopes this helps some..
"A little knowledge that acts is worth infinitely more than much knowledge that is idle."
Kahlil Gibran

Offline SharonMcCarthy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2010, 01:29:36 PM »
Quote from: "psy"
It's impossible to know.  I'll find out when I die.  Until then it's kind of irrelevant.
Hi PSY, yes I deeply understand and respect this statement....however have you ever I mean ever looked around and saw something totally impossible happen for the good? or see something that just put a feeling all through your body of peacefulness. Even something little like a sunset or sunrise? Well, I think that is God trying to say something. But if you keep your ears and eyes closed and question everything with science or an explaination....well it distracts you from seeing and hearing. You are right in a way though, guess we find out when the big day does arrive.  :peace:
Kahlil Gibran

Offline SharonMcCarthy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2010, 01:55:40 PM »
Quote from: "none-ya"
I know this isn't the lyrics topic , but I thought it would be just as appropriate here.
God's not doin' so good in the polls

"My God" - Ian Anderson
People -- what have you done --
locked Him in His golden cage.
Made Him bend to your religion --
Him resurrected from the grave.
He is the god of nothing --
if that's all that you can see.
You are the god of everything --
He's inside you and me.
So lean upon Him gently
and don't call on Him to save you
from your social graces
and the sins you used to waive.
The bloody Church of England --
in chains of history --
requests your earthly presence at
the vicarage for tea.
And the graven image you-know-who --
with His plastic crucifix --
he's got him fixed --
confuses me as to who and where and why --
as to how he gets his kicks.
Confessing to the endless sin --
the endless whining sounds.
You'll be praying till next Thursday to
all the gods that you can count.
You totally have place a exceelent example here...great lyrics...Yes, the religions did twist the words to suit thier purposes. Like for example the Catholic church placed extra books into the Bible. Ok wel those book were not written from the direction of God, they were fully admitted to be written by people. The problem is God did not say, hey pay me and you will go to Heaven..The Cathoilc Church use to in the olden years make people pay to pray for souls to go to Heaven and to get penance. Now that is not happening. Once you die, you die and end up where your suppose to be...either good side or the bad side....no in between. How are we going to think hey I can go to Hell, and aunt Suzi can pray for my soul and pay the church 100.00, and hey I'll make to Heaven after all. No, that is twisted beliefs. The Catholic Church created Pergatory. (however you spell it). I believe they did the creation of Pergatory to scare people into their ways and beliefs. Heck Pergatory is a nasty scarry place, who wants to be stuck there???? I rather go straight to Heaven personally.

2 TIM 3:16a (NLT) All Scripture is inspired by God..

OK so the 14 boook extra that the Catholics placed in are public knowledge to be man created and inspired so why even bother with them?? And why did they wait till 1946 to adopt them and slap them in a Bible?? Seems pretty fishy to me there. And I am not bashing Catholics either.. I was raised Catholic. I just am questioning their teachings.

Different Religions from begining of time have twisted things to suit. We see it everywhere..Fighting about religions. The killing, the hurting of each other. Do we honestly think God is really enjoying all this death we are letting happen? No not at all. UNless the directions come fully straight from him, noone has a right to kill or murder. I think that is pretty simple. However, there are exceptions for example: when he says Thou shall not kill, that means to plan it or to kill on purpose...not to protect one's self or family from danger...OK so some idiot breaks into your home with a gun..we all know his intent right..ok so you got a knife and stab him to protect your family...Umm well, you had a right to protect, that was instigated by the guy breaking in to begin with. To kill or murder with mailous in your heart is a sin.

Ok so we got churches left and right and we got diffrent views left and right, but what it all boils down to is this...One God. This one God has many different names per every different Bible or religion..but all the same it generally is one..unless your into Wicca which is a totally different angle. OK so we got One Superior Being....well maybe we all need to note that...One. Call him whatever you wish but honor the One. In the Bible it says nothing of paying tribute to anyone but God, nothing at all about praying to saints or anyone else but God...I think people need to remember that one fully. If anything....God wiped out a whole city praying to a calf.....EX 32: 25-28 (NLT)
Kahlil Gibran

Offline Awake

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2010, 12:00:09 AM »
No, but I still curse him and beg him for things.

Offline iamartsy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2010, 12:09:16 AM »
If there is such thing as an agnostic Jewish person, then that is me. I don't think anyone believes in G-d all the time. Judaism allows for debate and I love that. The Rabbi's sermon addressed that tonight. He had to be nearing retirement to address it, but he did. I fall into the category of being an agnostic Jewish person. I am comfortable with that too. The Rabbi knows that, too, and he is comfortable with that.