Author Topic: Apparently, it's a bad idea to trip & go see Kubrick's 2001  (Read 926 times)

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
Apparently, it's a bad idea to trip & go see Kubrick's 2001
« on: September 14, 2010, 12:32:07 PM »
http://gawker.com/5636331/why-you-shoul ... the-movies

Ever thought it'd be cool to take some hallucinogenic drugs and check out a movie—say, sci-fi masterpiece 2001: A Space Odyssey? This guy thought it'd be cool. And his trip—and resultant freakout—was recorded by five different audience members.

Los Angeles' Egyptian Theater held a retrospective for legendary directory Stanley Kubrick this past week, complete with a Friday-night showing of mystical science-fiction classic 2001: A Space Odyssey. A lot of people showed up (it's the kind of movie you really have to see on the big screen, man), including a guy named "Robert."

At the movie's climactic scene (Spoiler alert! If you have traveled here from the year 1968), when astronaut David Bowman (played by Keir Dullea) confronts visions of himself as an old man before being transformed into a fetus-like "star child" (really, you have to see it), "Robert" started yelling. Not, like, funny things! Stuff like: "Everybody get rid of your drugs! No, listen! Everybody listen to me—yes, fat man! Fat man!"

Two things happened: One, people started heckling him. And two, everyone pulled out their cell phones or flip cams. Robert kept yelling as the Egyptian's employees forcibly removed him from the auditorium: "Stanley Kubrick. Stanley Kubrick. Speak! No, listen; I know you believe me! We are all human beings! Is life a comedy? Is? Life? A? Comedy?" And, of course, everyone kept recording.

And so now we have (at least) five YouTube videos of poor Robert's extremely public freakout. The one above, looks to be the one taken closest to "the action," as it were. (It's also got a very slick presentation, including an inset showing you what was happening on screen during the meltdown. How servicey!)

This one, from YouTube user stro32, appears to be the first one to have been uploaded. It looks like it was taken with an iPhone:

Videos at the link http://gawker.com/5636331/why-you-shoul ... the-movies

So, what's the lesson? Well, first of all, don't take acid and see 2001, unless you are, you know, a "veteran." And second of all, be aware that your public freakout is now almost guaranteed to be recorded and displayed for public consumption. Five times! At least!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
Re: Apparently, it's a bad idea to trip & go see Kubrick's 2
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 12:53:18 PM »
That is the funniest thing I have read here in ages!!  lol

Back in my day we would challenge each other to see 2001 space Odyssey or the Exorcist while tripping.  People would flip-out and leave the theater all the time but the key was to never trip alone, (This was always the golden rule within my group), so that someone could help get you out that understood what was going on and talk you down.

I didnt know people still did acid that much.  But if we did have phones to capture this back then we would have had plenty of good shots.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »