Author Topic: Nutraloaf - program punishment diets.  (Read 3837 times)

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
Re: Nutraloaf - program punishment diets.
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2010, 10:40:20 AM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"
Quote from: "Froderik"
I Think every kid should have a healthy sit down meal 3 times a day.  I dont advocate bread and water by any means.  Those days should be put behind us or if not then regulation should be passed.

Regulations are already in place.  The "peanut butter diet" is abusive.  A facility does not have the right to abuse a child.

I'm sorry, but the only acceptable form of "regulation" of a place that does things like this is to shut the place down.

Programs have been getting away with abuse and murder for far too long now.

Now go ahead and start with the "But what would you do if your kid was blah blah blah" questions...

Completely agreed.  As Newton and Whooter are so fond of saying "kids ain't got no goddamned rights".  I was just pointing out that there are rights and regulations already in place to prevent/punish child abuse, which programs could give a shit about.  Which is why the only solution is as you suggest.....shut 'em down.

Yeah, sorry Anne...though that post was in reply to yours, it wasn't directed at you as much as it was to others on this thread.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2010, 10:46:08 AM »
I Think every kid should have a healthy sit down meal 3 times a day.  I dont advocate bread and water by any means.  Those days should be put behind us or if not then regulation should be passed.

Regulations are already in place.  The "peanut butter diet" is abusive.  A facility does not have the right to abuse a child.

I'm sorry, but the only acceptable form of "regulation" of a place that does things like this is to shut the place down.

Now go ahead and start with the "But what would you do if your kid was blah blah blah" questions...

Completely agreed.  As Newton and Whooter are so fond of saying "kids ain't got no goddamned rights".  I was just pointing out that there are rights and regulations already in place to prevent/punish child abuse, which programs could give a shit about.  Which is why the only solution is as you suggest.....shut 'em down.

I am not saying that kids should not have any rights.  I am saying that they dont have rights.. (or very little rights).

The "no rights" I was referring to earlier was "Due Process"  I dont believe kids have this (at least not in my state).  I haven't seen any laws posted or linked here which tell us otherwise.  As far as rights go, until a child is of age then they are under the parents protection and have no legal rights unless they are emancipated.

This isnt my fault, Anne, its just the way it is.  We need to blame our government or the voters

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2010, 10:48:33 AM »

Yeah, sorry Anne...though that post was in reply to yours, it wasn't directed at you as much as it was to others on this thread.

No worries.  

Aaaaannnd just as you called it......Whooter appears.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Maximilian

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2010, 11:25:53 AM »
What I (I think many of us here) do take offense to is your commenting on our posts (like mine about receiving only peanut butter on bread for weeks/months on end) and talking about it like I should be grateful for what I got.  

I must of missed the part where I quoted your post and commented on it. Like I said, you take it the wrong way because you choose to. Go back and read what I wrote, find where I addressed what you said even once. It doesn't exist, you are making stuff up at this point Anne.

Wonderful, but that's not what I experienced and you responded to my post about my experience with this...

I didn't respond to your post at all. Did I quote it? Nope. I responded to this thread, not you. The world doesn't revolve around your posts Anne, I barely even scanned through the other posts when I made mine. Sorry you take my posts so personally, but I in no way mentioned you or your post. LIke I said, the problem isn't what I said, it's that you take it personally and think I'm commenting about you for some reason.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2010, 11:30:06 AM »
Quote from: "Maximilian"

I didn't respond to your post at all. Did I quote it? Nope. I responded to this thread, not you. The world doesn't revolve around your posts Anne, I barely even scanned through the other posts when I made mine. Sorry you take my posts so personally, but I in no way mentioned you or your post. LIke I said, the problem isn't what I said, it's that you take it personally and think I'm commenting about you for some reason.

No, I don't necessarily think you're commenting about me, personally.  I think you're commenting in response to the thread, but the gist is there that 'this stuff really isn't that bad and doesn't rise to the level of abuse'.  If I'm truly reading it wrong, I guess I'm truly reading it wrong.  Just telling ya how it comes across to some of us.

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2010, 11:35:10 AM »
Ok you two.  Keep to the topic of crappy program diets or move it to PM / OFFA.  I'm not saying you're off-topic now, but it's getting there.

At Benchmark our punishment diet was the "Benchmark Diet" which consisted of two cup-o-noodle soup cups and a granola bar/day (sometimes we didn't get the granola bar).
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2010, 11:39:49 AM »
I honestly wonder what those peanut butter diets did to us.  No vitamins, no real nutrition....just a bit of protein for weeks or months at a time.  What does that do to a developing body and mind?  The teenage mind doesn't stop growing and making those neural connections until at least 25.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2010, 06:19:25 PM »
I felt that we lucked out hard core concerning RMA vittles. Our running springs CEDU brethren werent so lucky, as their food was quite greasy, but RMA food was top notch, and made from scratch. We had diet restrictions, but actually, it was restrictions that make sense for a healthy diet.

Honey instead of sugar
Whole wheat and grain flour instead of enriched white flour.
Limited amount of coffee (caffeine) per day (1-2 cups)
Greens supplied at almost every meal

and that was pretty much it, if memory serves. We still got some processed food, such as cereal and saltines, but for the most part, everything was made in the kitchen, fresh, every day. (the best bacon Ive ever had was from our own slaughtered pigs) The only really fucked up thing was the rush to get our food before it ran out. I dont remember this much, but according to others, we ran out of food often, and then the remaining kids got rolls with butter.

Technically, a human could live on bread and butter indefinitely, and be fine. It was more the psychological aspect that was hard. The food was often the only thing at that place I had to look forward to. But the fact of the matter is, it takes a lot longer to make food on a wood burning stove. The kitchen staff always did their best to  prepare enough for everyone.. just not enough for seconds. As a result, a lot of times, the firsts people were getting their seconds before the people at the end of the line had gotten firsts.

We also had commissary on sundays, where we could buy junk food with our meager allowance. gummy worms, screaming yellow zonkers, shasta soda, corn nuts, etc.

Compared to what other program people had, we ate like fucking kings.

Joel

Edited: Wednesday, October 06, 2010
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2010, 06:24:14 PM »
Edited: Wednesday, October 06, 2010