Author Topic: New Fornits Rules/Constitution [Ratified]  (Read 16650 times)

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
Re: New Fornits Rules/Constitution [Ratified]
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2010, 07:57:29 PM »
Psy, are we going to still allow a member to post under another members username, example DannyB II with the "male pic" posting under my user name, with the intent to discredit me. I would think this behavior would fall under one of these rules.
No one should be allowed to infringe on anothers personal domain, even here. Is there not a way to stop this upon registering, as is the case with other sites, if the user name already exists you can not use it.
Please, take this under advisement please. I have already had people mistaken me for this impostor.

5. Multiple usernames are disallowed if you use them for sockpuppetry. Sockpuppets will be outed.
6. No attacking other posters with insults (this includes driving parents off). You can make your point with civility. Responding to an insult with an insult is not a justification.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline shaggys

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2010, 08:04:29 PM »
Danny quit crying. If you go to the OFFA section that other danny already pledged to only inhabit that area of Fornits. Rules Broken: Zero. I repeat, quit crying.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2010, 08:07:48 PM »
Quote from: "DannyB II"
Psy, are we going to still allow a member to post under another members username, example DannyB II with the "male pic" posting under my user name, with the intent to discredit me.

Actually think you have a point. I've been impersonated.  Ursus has been impersonated.  I think that unless an impersonation of another poster should be disallowed (except, of course, in Open Free for All), and impersonation of a living person who is not a poster should only be allowed if it is obvious parody (example: Miller Newton or Dr. Fucktard.).  I think the standard is this: if a reasonable person could mistake the identity to be that of the parodied, it's a violation.

I would think this behavior would fall under one of these rules.
No one should be allowed to infringe on anothers personal domain, even here. Is there not a way to stop this upon registering, as is the case with other sites, if the user name already exists you can not use it.

Danny B 11's username is not the same. he uses elevens instead of "I"'s.  It's close enough to be considered a violation.  *however* if Danny B 11 wants, I can add a "parody" label under the username.  That would make it permissible.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2010, 08:10:11 PM »
I think if your going to spend time on piffling bullshit like this you've already defeated the purpose of the new rules. But whatever, good luck with it.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2010, 08:13:13 PM »
Quote from: "Che Gookin"
I think if your going to spend time on piffling bullshit like this you've already defeated the purpose of the new rules. But whatever, good luck with it.
Well.  Impersonation of other posters does cause real issues.  Remember back when Ursus was being impersonated by a person who posted neo-nazi stuff in his name.  It was convincing enough for my mother to call me up and ask what got into Ursus.  You might not see direct results here, but there are others who read Fornits and destroying somebody's reputation like that should not be allowed.
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline SEKTO

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2010, 08:16:19 PM »
Quote from: "psy"
Well.  Impersonation of other posters does cause real issues.  Remember back when Ursus was being impersonated by a person who posted neo-nazi stuff in his name.  It was convincing enough for my mother to call me up and ask what got into Ursus.  You might not see direct results here, but there are others who read Fornits and destroying somebody's reputation like that should not be allowed.

Che is right.  Why not keep it simple: only one username per participant?  This of course would apply everyone, including myself.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2010, 08:17:38 PM »
Psy, are we going to still allow a member to post under another members username, example DannyB II with the "male pic" posting under my user name, with the intent to discredit me.
Actually think you have a point. I've been impersonated.  Ursus has been impersonated.  I think that unless an impersonation of another poster should be disallowed (except, of course, in Open Free for All), and impersonation of a living person who is not a poster should only be allowed if it is obvious parody (example: Miller Newton or Dr. Fucktard.).  I think the standard is this: if a reasonable person could mistake the identity to be that of the parodied, it's a violation.

I would think this behavior would fall under one of these rules.
Danny B 11's username is not the same. he uses elevens instead of "I"'s.  It's close enough to be considered a violation.  *however* if Danny B 11 wants, I can add a "parody" label under the username.  That would make it permissible.
From the looks of it, the only folks who might potentially confuse DannyB11 with DannyB II might be one of the many personages posting under the name of DannyB II. It would appear that they don't always compare notes with one another.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2010, 08:20:06 PM »
I've updated the rules.  If a stupid person could possibly confuse the two accounts, it's disallowed.  Like all the other rules, they don't apply to Open Free For All.

Offline SEKTO

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2010, 08:20:57 PM »
I propose these:

You may edit your posts for 30 minutes after submitting them. After 30 minutes, no post can be edited or deleted.

You may remain anonymous, but if you wish to remain anonymous don't post identifying details on the board.

Please note the general topic headings listed at the main page of this forum and the related subheadings of each thread. Posting random statements about unrelated subjects is not appreciated.

This forum is not a place for advertising or business promotions. Helpful relevant links posted are appreciated, but please don't post links for the purpose of promotion.

Under no circumstances may a registrant use more than one user name. Each participant may only register once and must be identified by a single user name. Multiple people may not post under the same user name, nor may one person post under multiple user names.

Just my two cents, nobody is obligated to agree with me...

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2010, 08:24:18 PM »
Well... I just put my big-boy pants on and, amazingly enough, I survived. I was kinda hoping the lil twirp would show his face again.  :D

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2010, 08:27:08 PM »
Quote from: "SEKTO"
I propose these:

You may edit your posts for 30 minutes after submitting them. After 30 minutes, no post can be edited or deleted.

Just because a few people abuse that feature doesn't mean we should take it away.  If you want to save a person's post, quote it or take a screenshot.

You may remain anonymous, but if you wish to remain anonymous don't post identifying details on the board.

That's already in the rules.

Please note the general topic headings listed at the main page of this forum and the related subheadings of each thread. Posting random statements about unrelated subjects is not appreciated.

That's already in the rules (derailing, post in appropriate forums)

This forum is not a place for advertising or business promotions. Helpful relevant links posted are appreciated, but please don't post links for the purpose of promotion.

It would be very difficult to define promotion.

Under no circumstances may a registrant use more than one user name. Each participant may only register once and must be identified by a single user name. Multiple people may not post under the same user name, nor may one person post under multiple user names.[/b]

People have a right to privacy. Lots of people use alternate usernames for the times they want to talk about controversial issues they don't want their main account associated with.  As long as it's not sockpuppetry -- as long as it's not in the same thread. I don't see a problem with it.

I appreciate the suggestions but I'd like to keep the free spirit of the original forum alive without restricting things to much.

Offline SEKTO

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2010, 08:33:45 PM »
Today I invited an old DAYTOP buddy to participate here.  

This is the guy I have written of before who was in both Straight and DAYTOP, and who I have said looks like Vanilla Ice.  

He was not offended at all when I told him that he looks like Vanilla Ice; in fact, he thought that it was funny and told me that Vanilla Ice ripped off his style.

He's a good guy, was psyched to share his story here, and I warned him that this was a rough cyber-'hood.  

It blew his mind that such a forum existed to discuss the TTI and I just don't want him to get scared off by the trolls and bullshit, like so many other potential participants do.  

Fornits was good for my growth and healing and I just want it to be the same way for others.  I have generally had a good experience with this and am grateful for fornits' existence.  

But like I've written before, if I'd realized how nasty this place can be, then I myself would NEVER have posted anything in the first place.

I am all for more professional moderation.  That does not make me a hyper-authoritarian dictator.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2010, 08:36:41 PM »
As long as it's not sockpuppetry --
One man's prose ... is another man's sock puppet. How are ya gonna differentiate?

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2010, 08:40:21 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
One man's prose ... is another man's sock puppet. How are ya gonna differentiate?
Same poster, two or more accounts, same thread.  Exceptions apply to obvious parody with the same standard as the impersonation rule.

Unless you got a better test, I think that would work.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2010, 08:46:33 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
Same poster, two or more accounts, same thread.  Exceptions apply to obvious parody with the same standard as the impersonation rule.

Unless you got a better test, I think that would work.
Mmm. Sounds mighty nit-pickity. I guess my point was: why even bother putting yourself in the position of having to judge?

Too many rules ... spoil the discussion.