Author Topic: WWASPS related posts by an old friend, Oreos  (Read 5148 times)

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
WWASPS related posts by an old friend, Oreos
« on: September 05, 2010, 01:11:31 AM »
This is from an old forum I once had.  A guy named Oreos wrote these posts.  He had a tendency to delete them after writing so I archived a bunch of the good ones.  It explains a good deal about what went on in WWASPs programs like SCLA.
Quote from: "Oreos"
Posted: 26 May 2007 03:32 pm    Post subject:    
· Quote    · Edit    · Delete    · IP
Quote from: "PsyAdmin"
Quote from: "Techdad"
Quote from: "Psy"
The younger kids and 'softer' programs, use a even more insidious means of manipulations, their parents love. The parents write those letters that indicate their love, from that point on, is conditional.

As soon as I got my first one of those, i totally lost any hope of ever talking to my parents again.  I lost the desire.  I didn't want their help...  It's surreal, reading that letter in retrospect.

There is a scene in the TB documentary where a father tells his daughter that his love for her is conditional and that if she doesn't finish the program, he will never speak to her again. I was blown away by that. WTF? How does a parent get so mentally twisted that they come to believe in that shit? I mean, I have been a desperate parent, I have done stupid things, but I just can't get my mind around that level of bizarreness.

Parent seminars.  LGATs....  Some programs are far more cult-like than others.  Some never intend to return the kid, but to keep him/her there indefinitely until the parents go broke, or become recruiters.

I think the parents who think this sort of thing might work sometimes also seek out WWASPS type programs. I know people want to believe that a parent would never act like this unless they were brainwashed, but my dad never set foot in a seminar and did the same exact thing. Many parents facing the situation had at most done 3 days of discovery. They go back to their normal lives, sleep in their beds. I'm not sure I am convinced that a three day seminar is going to change a parent all that much. By dismissing the parents as "brainwashed by seminars" it alleviates them of responsibility in the clear choice they had, or at least some did, as my own dad.

I remember the day very vividly It was four days after I Turned 18. I told them I wanted to leave and they had me on the phone with my dad (first time ever I got to talk on the phone) so Ia m in the office with the family rep. She has him on the phone, he's like.. they tell me you want to leave. I say yes, this place is a prison camp, start babbling and seven months worth of pent of shit comes pouring out trying to explain to him the scam right in front of the family rep. He isn't impressed and is obviously playing for the other team at this point.  Rolling Eyes

I want you to stay and finish high school.. I had like 2 credits left which took maybe a month to complete. I said no way i am leaving today. He started with his lies and shit about having me legally detained until 21 based on my unfitness psychologically. I called that bluff too and said no I am leaving anyways. So he pulls out the last card and says, that this is his birthday (it was and I forgotten) and that this was the worst birthday ever. If I left that I was on my own.. and did the same explanation all wwasps parents end up doing probably. So he's like you have to stay and do what they say otherwise when you take your exit plan you will not get anything only a ride to the Missoula homeless shelter. At least they usually gave $30 in cash for food or whatever. They weren't giving me anything but the clothes I was wearing. So basically I'm like fuck you, and walk out of the family reps office.  

But that was definitely not the only time. A couple months later after I ended up back in my home city, he agreed to let me live with him if I followed a strict contract which included no smoking drinking, etc. I broke it the first week and came home high and he called the cops on me and had me arrested. Then when they let me out he picks me up and takes me to a lockup psych ward. After two and a half weeks with those crazy adults (now I was over 18 and in the adult wards) they let me out on the condition I went to some kind of treatment center. So my dad found this sober living house. He dropped me off and it was a full on AA cult, group home with leader kind of shit. I walked out and left my suitcases in a dumpster hidden, and tried to find a pay phone. I got a hold of my dad, he was still on the freeway home I could hear. I said I can't live there with those people and begged him to come pick me up. He said no and hung up. I tried calling back but his phone was turned off. So it doesn't take a program for parents to do this shit, that's for sure.

Since I had been gone and in various programs and lockups for the previous year I had lost all contact with any friends, and I had no phone numbers or anything like that. I forget them all. So  I was pretty much left shit out of luck.

They really need to take the word "love" out of the phrase "tough-love" because there's nothing loving about it. It's all about control and coercion.

I always found it strange how over a relatively short period of time "helping a kid" goes from traditional treatment finally descending into the idea of leaving them on the streets with nothing.

Posted: 26 May 2007 03:55 pm    Post subject:    
All of them. It's not like there were 10 rules hanging on the wall, if you followed you would be okay. If people think that is what a program is like, they are misreading the entire situation.

A private program like SCL consists of leadership who are the seminar trainers, parent trainers, the owners, the staff, the 18 year old kids, the junior staff kids, the lower levels. In that order. The seminar facilitators are the "priests" of WWASPS. Fanatical program parents strive to become these facilitators, as seen in the Montana PBS video.

So imagine an ideology based on , let's call it the robot child syndrome. You can't swear, you can't masturbate, you can't look at the opposite sex, you do not deserve any privileges (including compassion and love) and must thank your captors for this treatment. You must be willing to snitch on your closest friend at any given time if asked to do so.

This is a group of people, living in tremendous fear they might be dropped back to the starting point. Kids make it up by stepping on the backs of other kids. If they're lucky they can "prove themselves" in less hurtful and dramatic ways, but that's the way it usually goes down. Betraying your best friend by telling program staff during a seminar shit aout your closest buddy is a sure way to make yourself look good. Or is it? They might drop you too for "snitching". You never really know.

Because that's how it works, there are no rules. The only rules is that you must act like they want you to act. If you are too stubborn or too stupid to figure out yoru lines in this sick sadistic live action theater you are forced to partake in, you will be isolated and deprived until you are so physically and emotionally uncomfortable you will look at a normal day in the program as a good day. A good day because your definition of good and bad have been altered. A good day is a day that you are not treated like an animal and kept in a small disgusting cage and fed a handful of lettuce and 2 spoons of kidney beans, forced to eat with your dirty hands. Some kids get to the point where this treatment is redefined as tolerable simply because it allows them the comfort of psychological intactness. A intermission in the theater, if you will.

So rules... shit, there weren't any rules. The only rule was to move up the program, that was the rule. Bullshit, lie, act, confess, betray, crawl, and fight your way to freedom.

It really defies explanation as to why anyone would subject their kid to the type of treatment I witnessed, it really does. A logical response simply does not illustrate the true reality as to what occurred.

Posted: 26 May 2007 04:24 pm    Post subject:    
Quote from: "techdad"
Think if you were sent to jail for smoking pot or doing a few lines, how much you would hate the system for that? Well now assume that system is your parents and you might get an idea of how the kids feel.

Good point. Would it make any difference if your parents were deceived and had no idea how bad it was? Parents have some idea of what jail is like, and all the bad things that can happen there. But some of them are really clueless that the so-called therapy at a TBS (especially the one you went to) is really just punishment, behavior modification and breaking kids down. I'm remembering the dad at the beginning of "Who's Watching the Kids?". His son went to the same shitpit you did. He said something like, "I never would've imagined my son would come home from boarding school with two broken teeth."

It doesn't ease the pain, but would it change how you feel about them if they really didn't have a clue?

Hell I wouldn't really of been all that angry if my dad had simply lived up to his side of our original agreement, when he dropped me off there. I agreed to stay until my 18th birthday. He agreed to pick me up on my 18th birthday. This was very clear from the beginning.

Over time I sent letters home explaining I thought this was a mistake I was placed there. What we called the hobbit, my dad called "special needs" in his letters. But by the time got close I was turning 18, he addressed my concerns about my own treatment as being a spoiled brat, manipulative, and needed to work the program. Along with other program cliches I never heard from him ever in his life. Then he sent letters saying I had to stay until I was 21. If not by choice, they would start the legal proceedings. He wasn't fooled, he was actively working against me, from my perspective.

In my view, the program gave him a tool, and he used it. He was always a control freak. I was just his latest victim in his sick twisted fantasies of saving people. He's the AA/NA fanatic who won't be friends with 'normies.' He's the type of dad that took us to the national AA conventions on vacation. He's the dad who used Alanon to drive our mom away when I was five. (according to her) Is it any coincidence that people living with him end up resorting to alcohol or drugs to escape his madness? I don't think so anymore. But really the worst part of it, is when he tries to "save you" after he finds out about it. Then the fun really begins.

So no, he was not "fooled" in any way. If that were true he would of apologized a long time ago. Instead he tells me that I needed it. I needed to be treated the way I was treated for some reason. That is still a mystery to me.

I no longer have anger for him. He does this kind of shit to everyone who makes the mistake of entering his life and becoming close to him. Problem is I never had a choice. Now I do, so I choose to stay away from that mess.

The line had been crossed long before SCL though. The reason I talk about SCL so much is because so many people went there and have heard of it, it's a warehouse of a program if I've ever seen one. I was in isolation in questionable facilities prior to SCL, so it was no new thing to my dad to be told over the phone, your kid is being held in isolation for whatever reason.  So to him it was nothing new. It wasn't anything new to me either.

I was at a psych hospital prior to SCL, for a couple months actually. The reason I was there for so long is because they were "Experimenting " with my meds to find the "Right fit".  Rolling Eyes  Very Happy Well they had me on 4mg a day of xanax, 25mg (thats a lot) zyprexa, effexor, buspar, klonopin, ppu, and some other pill that was supposed to curb cocaine urges (even though I was locked up lol). So they had me fucked up 24/7. I was falling asleep at 3pm and in a daze all day long. They kept tweaking my drug regimen, and at some point I start seeing shit, hearing voices. Well this freaked me out, I think I was justifiably freaked out, and I had an "panic attack" they said. They said I was incoherent and refusing to take my meds and screaming they were poisoning me, and starting banging my head against a wall.

So this is the first time I experienced a takedown psych hospital style. It was actually very orderly! They handed me a small drinking cup with some liquid in it, and then showed me this big needle. They were like, we can do this the easy way or hard way. So I drank the cup. I pretty much fell over within a few seconds. It was liquid Thorazine. It completely shut down my muscles or something, I was jello. So they carried me into their isolation room which is a small white room with a skylight. A metal slab bed type ting bolted to the floor and a small window on the door. A small video camera in the corner. So they lied me face down and tied me down to the metal bed with the leather straps. They said be quiet and stop yelling about meds for a while and we'll let you go. I passed out and fell asleep from the Thorazine .

Woke up a couple hours later and didn't scream or anything because I wanted to be let out of the straps. A nurse came by and looked in and saw I was awake and came in. She asked if I would be good, Is aid yeah. So they let me out of the straps. But I had to stay in the white room (isolation) for the rest of the 24hrs. This was also a way of punishment. A way to reinforce the fact I had to take my meds. That I had no control over what was going on. So both my parents actually saw me in this isolation room that day during visiting hours. My dad actually saw me in the straps at a later date when this whole scenario repeated itself again for a different reason.

So my dad had a pretty good idea what goes on behind the scenes and when they say isolation what that means. At least in psych isolation it is somewhat more managed, and you get the same meals you normally would. The temperature is monitored, you get to use a normal bathroom, although monitored. At SCL the isolation room was freezing cold. We had to sleep on the hard ground with no pillow in just a sleeping bag, it was still very cold though. The time line was completely on the whim of staff. A three day stay could be extended to five or six days simply because they lose count (happened to me). You only got a small plate of lettuce and beans and no utensils and a banana and tortilla for the whole day. Other kids in there sometimes lost it and would throw their shit on the walls, and everything else you can imagine gross that can happen when you treat children like animals.. .so it was gross.

My point is that I believe, my dad found a system which he deemed acceptable because it lined up with his longtime cherished beliefs of AA/NA and that more subtle form of coerciveness. To him, all these isolations, and dehumanization is logical consequence of using drugs. He always would repeat this AA mantra that "it takes a full two years to get drugs out of your system". Well biologically we know that's not true. But this was his thinking, completely and fully. That's what started it all, I overdosed and ended up in the hospital. So at what point does a parent question whether drugging a kid into oblivion, and treating them like their crazy going to help? They are so off base on why teens use drugs, it's not even funny. It's scary actually.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
Re: WWASPS related posts by an old friend, Oreos
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 01:20:36 AM »
Been there done that with the Thorazine, actually learned the "Thorazine shuffle" where you start thinking your walking before you physically are and your feet are just shuffling along all by themselves.
I was fourteen years old when this crap started all because I ran away from home, well they taught me.
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 05:06:23 PM »
bump
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 05:56:33 PM »
Some of his posts about the Hobbit are unreal. Did you save those as well?

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 06:06:27 PM »
Quote from: "Che Gookin"
Some of his posts about the Hobbit are unreal. Did you save those as well?
I'll take a look but there is some of that right above.

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 06:23:15 PM »
"psy" wrote:
This is from an old forum I once had.  A guy named Oreos wrote these posts.  He had a tendency to delete them after writing so I archived a bunch of the good ones.  It explains a good deal about what went on in WWASPs programs like SCLA.

Why did he delete them. I am very interested in your perspective on this.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 06:30:24 PM »
I remember the one where he related an account of a kid who scribbled weird shit all over the walls in his own blood while in the hobbit. Also I vaguely remember an account of a kid who spent months in there and when they took him out he was so out of it they ended up shipping him to a psych hospital.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 10:32:08 PM »
bump

Offline anythinganyone

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 12:02:27 AM »
I remember that SCL was always called the super-easy school full of fakes over at CCM . . .  It was funny how people over there tended to pride themselves over the integrity and brutal honesty of the place when in reality, much to my surprise, the majority of the kids there were hypocritical and full of it.

Joel

Edited: Wednesday, October 06, 2010
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 12:21:59 AM »
Edited: Wednesday, October 06, 2010
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 01:58:37 AM by Joel »

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 01:32:51 AM »
Someone did an interesting once over of the WWASP seminars and honestly they didn't look all that much different from the CEDU swill. Probable cause for this being the origin of both kooky fields of thought reform having a common source. Ursus probably would know more about this, he tends to follow this sort of thing far closer than I do.

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 06:06:12 PM »

Postby DannyB II » September 5th, 2010, 5:23 pm

"psy" wrote:
    This is from an old forum I once had. A guy named Oreos wrote these posts. He had a tendency to delete them after writing so I archived a bunch of the good ones. It explains a good deal about what went on in WWASPs programs like SCLA.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 06:14:36 PM »
Quote from: "DannyB II"

"psy" wrote:
    This is from an old forum I once had. A guy named Oreos wrote these posts. He had a tendency to delete them after writing so I archived a bunch of the good ones. It explains a good deal about what went on in WWASPs programs like SCLA.

He was self-conscious.  This was a forum with parents.  They would say things that would sometimes upset him.

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 07:38:46 PM »
Quote from: "psy"
Quote from: "DannyB II"

"psy" wrote:

He was self-conscious.  This was a forum with parents.  They would say things that would sometimes upset him.

The reason I asked is I have posted sensitive material and deleted it. I just did not want the feedback I felt would come and the exposure was frightening at times. One other dilemma was the back and forth in your head if you are expressing yourself appropriately, are you insulting your parents, siblings and so forth, was I putting more information out there then I should.
Thanks

Offline anythinganyone

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 02:25:06 AM »
Quote from: "Joel"
What are the name of these WWASP seminars?  

Are they similar to CEDU propheets/Workshops? (I went through the following below at CEDU Rocky Mountain Academy)

http://www.secretprisonsforteens.dk/for ... _propheets

* 2.1 The Truth propheet
    * 2.2 The Childrens propheet
    * 2.3 The Brothers Keeper propheet
    * 2.4 The Dreams
    * 2.5 The I Want to Live propheet
    * 2.6 The Values propheet
    * 2.7 The Imagine propheet

# 3 List of Workshops ( http://liamscheff.com/surviving-cedu/?p=355 )

* 3.1 I & ME workshop
    * 3.2 The summit workshop

Orientation
Discovery
Focus
Parent-Child I
Principles
Parent-Child 2
Keys to Success
Parent-Child 3
Parent-Child 4