Author Topic: What if AA is mainstream and Fornits is the cult?  (Read 17877 times)

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
Re: What if AA is mainstream and Fornits is the cult?
« Reply #150 on: September 08, 2010, 02:44:54 PM »
Quote from: "Shadyacres"
I am new here but I have two cents to add.
Max, what exactly is your 'experience with addiction'?  How old are you?  You seem very naive. Anne is exactly right, 'mainstream' does not equal 'right'.  I spent many years being forced by the courts to go to AA, it was NOT my choice.  Attraction?  Hah!  Managing your life properly should be your responsibility, not some group project with people you just met.  Especially if those people are anything like Danny B, who is apparently exactly the kind of sociopath that the programs we all hate here are so good at creating.  I escaped from a straight spinoff in '86 and spent most of the next two decades addicted to heroin and cocaine.  All AA or NA ever did for me was give me a kind of "white knuckle sobriety", constantly on guard against the ever present danger of "relapse".  And I did relapse, many times.

It's that self fulfilling prophecy crap that AA is so full of.  I'm really sorry you got caught up in it.

I only got a hold of my life after I distanced myself from AA, NA and all other forms of coercion and started to LIVE MY OWN LIFE.

Same with me!!  Only until I understood how cults and cult-like organizations work (mainly thru research on sites like http://www.ex-cult.org/ and http://www.orange-papers.org/) was I able to understand the concept of personal responsibility and gain control over my life.  I was "sober" while in AA but always so unhappy.  Now that my life is my own, I've finally found the happiness I was looking for from a pill and don't feel the need for them any longer.

Oh, and Anne, VERY well said, I may be in love with you.

Aw, shucks!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Maximilian

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 08, 2010, 02:55:22 PM »
If you don't like AA and think it's all bullshit, then you don't have to go. You can start threads on fornits about why you feel AA is bad, and why it doesn't work for you. Since I had a positive, life-saving experience with AA/NA I choose to argue my position based that. To me AA/NA is the wonderful group of people I meet every time I go, it does not represent negative program related memories. I never experienced AA in a private program like some here have, I have only experienced it in drug rehab and on the outside on my own will. I can understand people have negative experiences with it, I never claimed it's some kind of miracle for everyone in the world. But since I had very positive experience with it, I choose to comment about it and make threads about it.

This thread is questioning how such a small group of anti treatment extremists calling such a gigantic group of individuals that make up AA a cult, is somewhat ironic. I don't see AA as a cult, I think the idea of alcohol and drug addiction are very mainstream, as well as the 12 steps being a solution. The idea of every program being abusive, and AA being a cult, are much more extraordinary ideas, in my opinion. I was not abused in the program, and got helped with AA, so I choose to comment about it that's the extent of my intentions.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Pile of Dead Kids

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 08, 2010, 02:57:19 PM »
SUCK IT, you don't own "your" threads.
...Sergey Blashchishen, James Shirey, Faith Finley, Katherine Rice, Ashlie Bunch, Brendan Blum, Caleb Jensen, Alex Cullinane, Rocco Magliozzi, Elisa Santry, Dillon Peak, Natalynndria Slim, Lenny Ortega, Angellika Arndt, Joey Aletriz, Martin Anderson, James White, Christening Garcia, Kasey Warner, Shirley Arciszewski, Linda Harris, Travis Parker, Omega Leach, Denis Maltez, Kevin Christie, Karlye Newman, Richard DeMaar, Alexis Richie, Shanice Nibbs, Levi Snyder, Natasha Newman, Gracie James, Michael Owens, Carlton Thomas, Taylor Mangham, Carnez Boone, Benjamin Lolley, Jessica Bradford's unnamed baby, Anthony Parker, Dysheka Streeter, Corey Foster, Joseph Winters, Bruce Staeger, Kenneth Barkley, Khalil Todd, Alec Lansing, Cristian Cuellar-Gonzales, Janaia Barnhart, a DRA victim who never even showed up in the news, and yet another unnamed girl at Summit School...

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 08, 2010, 03:06:00 PM »
Can't wait until all of these threads are relegated to their own special forum, that's gonna be SWEET!!! :D

No more AA "debate" threads cluttering up this (once much more lighthearted) forum..   :lala:

The sun will beam down on a brand new day at last...   :cheers:  :roflmao:

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 08, 2010, 03:26:01 PM »
Quote from: "Froderik"
Can't wait until all of these threads are relegated to their own special forum, that's gonna be SWEET!!! :D

No more AA "debate" threads cluttering up this (once much more lighthearted) forum..   :lala:

The sun will beam down on a brand new day at last...   :cheers:  :roflmao:

I understand your frustration, I really do but why not just ignore the threads if you don't like them. I enjoy debating AA, so should I not be allowed to because you don't like it?

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 08, 2010, 03:36:04 PM »
It's ok, but soon that debAAting will be done on its own forum!  :rofl:

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 08, 2010, 03:45:45 PM »
It's ok, but soon that debAAting will be done on its own forum!  :rofl:

Ah...my misunderstanding then.  Works for me.

Offline Maximilian

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 08, 2010, 05:31:07 PM »
Well I prefer this thread remains here in the unmoderated Open free for All. This thread's point is not to debate whether AA works or not. It is a fact millions of people attend AA meetings and are what make up the entire AA organization, on the other hand fornits is a handful of people withs similar views. Not a lot of people view all treatment as abusive and AA as a cult, and I think people who believe this are more like a cult than the large organization they are making the same accusation against. I think it's funny people take the time to post in a thread "I'm not interested in this thread" or that it should be censored in some way. The title is clearly accurate in what is being discussed, it's the same people saying the same thing so I know they know what this thread is about. Yet they keep posting in here like they are somehow shocked when clicking on a thread about AA that, gasp, it's AA being discussed. But shutting down discussions seem to be all the rage on fornits right now. Yeah! Censor us! I can't wait until I don't have to read anything on fornits at all! I'm here to discuss with people who want to, if you want to ignore it then don't click on the clearly marked thread titles, it's that easy.

I don't really find all the debates about Muslims and mosques and things like that very interesting. So I don't click on those threads, although I do read them sometimes. But I don't make it a point to seek them out, and tell other people that I'm not interestd, I hope these discussions can be sent to the religion bin forum or whatever. Since the threads are clearly marked I can easily avoid the topics I'm not interested in by not clicking on them, like I said, very easy.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 08, 2010, 05:56:51 PM »
Quote from: "Maximilian"
Well I prefer this thread remains here in the unmoderated Open free for All.

BRRRAAAAAAAPPPPP!!!!

When are you going to get it through your thick (programmed) skull that no one really cares what you want?  :beat:  :moon:  :lala:

Joel

Edited: Wednesday, October 06, 2010
« Reply #160 on: September 08, 2010, 05:59:53 PM »
Edited: Wednesday, October 06, 2010
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 07:56:39 PM by Joel »

Offline Maximilian

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 08, 2010, 06:01:07 PM »
Quote from: "Maximilian"
Well I prefer this thread remains here in the unmoderated Open free for All.

BRRRAAAAAAAPPPPP!!!!

When are you going to get it through your thick (programmed) skull that no one really cares what you want?  :beat:  :moon:  :lala:

You broke rule #2 (don't derail threads) and rule #7 (no attacking other posters with insults). In a few days you will no longer be able to come into my threads and derail, and insult me. So enjoy it will it lasts, moderation, coming soon just like you asked for. It should clean up my threads a lot, I'll admit it, although I'm still against it. If people want to be immature like Forderik here, they should be free to do that without a moderator deleting their posts.