Author Topic: The art of protesting is being lost  (Read 5024 times)

Offline Botched Programming

• View Profile
The art of protesting is being lost
« on: September 03, 2010, 01:53:44 PM »
Back in the 60's and 70's the art of protesting was alive and well. Musicians would even write songs describing their views and the airwaves were constantly getting their message out. Protestors showed their courageousness, they were committed, they would get beaten and put in jail for their beliefs. They stood united, they spent time making protest signs and would strategically get together and demonstrate on behalf of what they believe, and believe fully strength is in numbers.

Today protestors have gotten soft or forgot what protesting is. Today protestors sit behind a computer screen where they are just mere words on a computer screen, faceless nameless words. Our musicians are not writing words that enspire us to get up and yell and scream at the top of our lungs that the issue is unethical.. Today's protestors sit behind the mask of their computer and their plight is minimized.

I am so glad there are activist groups such as Green Peace who still know how to protest, these people stand up yell, scream and will not be silent. These people are willing to put theirselves in harms way. They are willing to make sacrifices, and their words are heard loud...

Just some random thoughts.

Peace
 :peace:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
Re: The art of protesting is being lost
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 02:04:13 PM »
Maybe we could whine and sigh just a little louder. That might help.
?©?€~¥@

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 02:16:56 PM »
Freedom of assembly or association

The right to form groups, to organise and to assemble together with the aim of addressing issues of common concern is a human right. The ability to organise is an important means by which citizens can influence their governments and leaders. The right to freedom of association and assembly is protected in international and regional human rights treaties. These rights are applicable to any issue. Mass protest is a potent symbol of the exercise of this right.

Peace

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 02:21:25 PM »
But seriously, The days of the protesters were over a long time ago. When the youth (and I mean teenagers, collage kids)  had to grow up and join the real world.I think of myself as older (54), but hell that made me all of 11 years old 1n 1967.
That was the "summer of love" Sgt pepper came out. But what the hell does an 11 year old know. My generation has grown up more worried about the lot rent at the trailer park. The old lady's got kids hangin' from every tit. They would probably be quicker to protest the price of cable t v, than to worry about the  ozone layer or the whales. Only the nieve and idolistic have time or energy for such persuits.(and again I mean teenagers, collage kids) Me,I have to worry about keeping mac and cheese on the table.
?©?€~¥@

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 02:28:03 PM »
Quote from: "none-ya"
But seriously, The days of the protesters were over a long time ago. When the youth (and I mean teenagers, collage kids)  had to grow up and join the real world.I think of myself as older (54), but hell that made me all of 11 years old 1n 1967.
That was the "summer of love" Sgt pepper came out. But what the hell does an 11 year old know. My generation has grown up more worried about the lot rent at the trailer park. The old lady's got kids hangin' from every tit. They would probably be quicker to protest the price of cable t v, than to worry about the  ozone layer or the whales. Only the nieve and idolistic have time or energy for such persuits.(and again I mean teenagers, collage kids) Me,I have to worry about keeping mac and cheese on the table.

Me for one.. I refuse to let myself to become a pasifist.. Hence part of the reason I pass out flyers at AA Meetings.. Hell we need to protest in front of treatment centers... Want a liberating feeling protest openly.

Peace

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 02:34:38 PM »
I don't want to start another pissin' match here, (enough of those here already) But do you mean to tell me that if you hand out 1000 flyers, and 1 guy goes "hey your're right AA is bullshit". And he starts drrinking again,youu would feel good about that?
?©?€~¥@

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 02:39:34 PM »
I don't want to start another pissin' match here, (enough of those here already) But do you mean to tell me that if you hand out 1000 flyers, and 1 guy goes "hey your're right AA is bullshit". And he starts drrinking again,youu would feel good about that?

Don't matter to me either way... He has freedom of choice... Not forcing my belief on him... My good feeling comes from knowing I am doing the right thing by getting my info out... My protest is thus far a peaceful one.

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 02:44:45 PM »
So what are you promoting, Pro drinking, or just non AA?
?©?€~¥@

Offline Maximilian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 02:54:54 PM »
Quote from: "Botched Programming"
I am so glad there are activist groups such as Green Peace who still know how to protest, these people stand up yell, scream and will not be silent. These people are willing to put theirselves in harms way. They are willing to make sacrifices, and their words are heard loud...

Have you ever seen that show Whale Wars or read about the organization called Sea Shephard? I think they are very brave to risk their lives to save whales, and I do admire people who stand up for what they believe in.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 03:01:46 PM »
Quote from: "Maximilian"

Have you ever seen that show Whale Wars or read about the organization called Sea Shephard? I think they are very brave to risk their lives to save whales, and I do admire people who stand up for what they believe in.

They are directly tied in with Green Peace and yes I admire those guys to the fullest...  To be honest I would love to have the opportunity to join them...

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 03:01:48 PM »
Quote from: "Maximilian"

They are directly tied in with Green Peace and yes I admire those guys to the fullest...  To be honest I would love to have the opportunity to join them...

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 03:10:07 PM »
I'd like to see 1 of your flyers.
?©?€~¥@

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 03:18:40 PM »
I'd like to see 1 of your flyers.

In given time my brother..... Trust must be built.. you understand... Rome was not built in a day..

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 03:21:11 PM »
You don't trust me but you'll hand a flyer to a complete stranger on the street? Sup wi dat?
?©?€~¥@

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 06:39:53 PM »
I kinda' knew you had nothin'. There are plenty of other things to be passionate about, but promoting alcoholism? May as well join Max , and root for the whales.
?©?€~¥@