Author Topic: Medical Neglect  (Read 3769 times)

Offline shaggys

• View Profile
Medical Neglect
« on: August 31, 2010, 04:11:58 PM »
When I was on 5th phase me and my host brother Freddie got this newcomer from gastonia NC. He had been in the program for a couple of weeks at this point and seemed to still be kind of shell-shocked. He was limping around and when we asked him why, he asked permission to take off his shoes to show us. He had the most severe case of Atheletes foot I have ever seen even to this day. It was completely covering both of his feet. The soles of his feet had large cracks in them which oozed. I dont even know how he was able to walk at all. We showed Freddies' Mom and she freaked out. It turned out that he had not been able to shower but once since coming in the program and had not had his clothes washed at all. His socks literally PEELED off his feet. Freddies Mom soaked the kids feet in something and washed all his clothes. He was so fuckin grateful man it makes me sick thinking about it now. I remember how we literally poured foot powder into his socks each morning before going to the building for the next few days until he got moved to a new home. By then his feet had improved alot but were still far from completely healed.
Does anyone have any stories of the day to day medical neglect that happened at Straight that they would like to post?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Eliscu2

• New World Order
    • View Profile
Re: Medical Neglect
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 08:06:59 PM »
:seg:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 11:17:31 PM by Eliscu2 »
WELCOME TO HELL!

Offline RTP2003

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 03:58:31 PM »
Quote from: "shaggys"
Does anyone have any stories of the day to day medical neglect that happened at Straight that they would like to post?

Sure, I'll bite........

My first night in Straight, at the foster home, I pried a staple out of the couch on which I was sleeping, straightened it, and tried to slash my wrist (not the most professional suicide attempt, but I thought it would be good enough to get me someplace a little less insane, like oh, say, a psycho ward............)

I had a nice pool of blood on my chest, and ignored the burning pain that was going through my wrist.  The straightlings woke up and saw me and the three of them restrained me and got the fabric staple from me.  

I received no medical attention other than some bandages and a splash of hydrogen peroxide.  Lucky it didn't get infected.........

I got confronted for it for an hour or longer the next day, and again in OMR after my newcomer introduction.

Ahh, what lovely memories........
RTP2003 fought in defense of the Old Republic

Offline seamus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 11:20:32 AM »
oh yeah this shit just makes me boil!
            After a horrendous intake, after suffering assault By "DR" George Ross,who repeatedly told me he was a medical doctor, my 20 hour since last use ass was drug into group,dopesik as a motherfucker, NO medical screening,no exam,nada....and on top of it all im listening to Liz Cassidy,and chris cassler, do the fucking "Love-Rap".......there were plenty of stories about mentally ill folks being denied perscribed meds at morgan yacht as well,by the time the new building opend that shit had been dealt with to some extent....
It\'d be sad if it wernt so funny,It\'d be funny if it wernt so sad

Offline kpickle39

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 03:31:23 PM »
Ok, 2 words on neglect . . . Jock Itch.   St. Pete (Morgan Yacht bulding) summer of 1979.  It was hot as hell and we were crammed into group like sardines in a can.   I remember myself and many others had a real bad case of Jock Itch.  MIne in particular went from my belly button down to just above my knees.   I remember the itch, omg, it was so bad and it hurt and stunk as the flesh was rotting from my legs and stomach.  I remember also peeling shreds of skin off trying to remove dead skin so I could try and appy medication.   It was so raw I remember holding back the tears as I would put the medication on my rash.   I think what finally made it go away was the change in tempature.  In the summer, I was always wet from sweat so I never had time to dry off and heal up.

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 04:25:11 PM »
I remembeb that god forsaken builbing. It had big industrial fans in the windows, and the never worked'
Then you put 400-500 kidsin there all smoking at the same time. And double that on open meeting nights. It's a wonder we all didn't die
?©?€~¥@

Offline Dr Fucktard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 11:29:57 AM »
1. Druggies don't deserve medical attention...it is a privilege that should be earned...

2. Druggies need to be careful what substances they put into their bodies because of their chemical dependency. Something as seemingly harmless as an aspirin tablet could lead a kid back to drugs!

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 03:02:35 PM »
Dr Fucktard wrotr:
"Something as seemingly harmless as an aspirin tablet could lead a kid back to drugs!"

Really ? Anybody got any asprin?
?©?€~¥@

Offline shaggys

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 07:09:10 PM »
I remember a couple of folks that got cases of that extreme jock-itch situation while I was in Atlanta. One dude got it so bad they had to let him spend a day in one of the timeout rooms with a fan blowing at his crotch. He was completely naked, just sitting there staring at the wall with a little fan blowing air on his junk. It was weird but at least dude got to dry out that shit and i guess it went away after that. The unsanitary conditions at the building and at most of the host homes contributed heavily to that shit. Newcomers not having clean clothes to wear obviously was a factor as well. When I was in Atlanta in the early 80's a newcomer was LUCKY to get his clothes washed once a week. Typically a newcomer would go 2 or 3 weeks between washings. It was a fuckin germ factory around that place.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 09:55:53 AM »
When the majority of girls stopped having their period, we reported it to staff.  Nothing was done and we were told it was our fault.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline shaggys

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 12:27:55 PM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"
When the majority of girls stopped having their period, we reported it to staff.  Nothing was done and we were told it was our fault.

Anne I have always thought that Straight inc had to be even more fucked up for the girls than the guys. Reasons like the one you mentioned coupled with the special humiliations in group reserved for females only. Whore, slut etc. I saw girls self-confidence fuckin extinguished like you snuff out a candle. To be a female in Straight had to be a hell unto itself. As fucked up as this sounds I feel lucky. Lucky to have been a guy.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 12:54:01 PM »
I've heard of this happening at a number of programs, Hyde School included. I'd venture that it's a pretty good indicator of the amount of stress and duress that kids were experiencing.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 12:58:04 PM »
Quote from: "shaggys"

Anne I have always thought that Straight inc had to be even more fucked up for the girls than the guys. Reasons like the one you mentioned coupled with the special humiliations in group reserved for females only. Whore, slut etc. I saw girls self-confidence fuckin extinguished like you snuff out a candle. To be a female in Straight had to be a hell unto itself. As fucked up as this sounds I feel lucky. Lucky to have been a guy.

It really did do a number on me.  When I was asked what drugs I had done, I answered honestly and said pot, alcohol and a quaalude - singular - and the quaalude was accidental as someone put in in a drink I had without my knowledge.  I was told that I was a liar and wouldn't be able to progress until I "got honest" about my drug use.  After 8 months of not progressing, not being able to see or speak to my family, being walked around with someone holding onto my beltloop, having someone watch me take a shit.....I started to make up shit that I didn't actually do and miraculously, I was 'promoted'.  When we would have the 'girls raps' I talked about being molested at 7 and was told it was my fault.  THey even called an "executive conference" with Ruth Ann and she told me it was my fault.  When I said that I was raped at 15, I was told I was either lying or that I asked for it.  I can't even tell you how many times I was called the most horrific names.  The effect that has on me as someone who craved my father's affection (he pretty much ignored me unless he thought I did something wrong) is incredibly powerful.  

I remember one time when they stood me up in front of group and had the guys side motivate (for those that aren't familiar with that term it's waving your hands/arms around like a lunatic to show how much you wanted to get called on to talk, which according to them showed how much people wanted to 'get sober') to tell me what they thought of me.  Mind you, this was before Virginia and Cincinnati split off so 'group' was around 350 kids). Slut, cunt and whore were the tame ones.  Then they'd tell me how they "wouldn't even fuck me with a coke bottle" in their "past".  Those guys got promoted and I was sent to the host-home and then confronted again by my oldcomer about how I wasn't being honest.  That place seriously fucked with my self esteem and that I do blame on Straight.

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 01:02:16 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
I've heard of this happening at a number of programs, Hyde School included. I'd venture that it's a pretty good indicator of the amount of stress and duress that kids were experiencing.

That's exactly what my OB/GYN said when I asked about it after getting out.

Offline iamartsy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2010, 08:14:38 AM »
Ah my favorite topic! Do they suffer from medical neglect? Hell yeah!

The program I was in the first time took advantage of my having depression . I had an EEG and Ct Scan that said due to irregularities it should be repeated in 6 mos. Was I ever told? NO. Four programs later I was transferred to a REAL hospital and I had another irregular EEG and a irregular MRI. Only then did I find out about the previous EEG and CT Scan. The first program told me it was my fault I was depressed. Guess what I have seizures! The depression is a result of the seizures.

I spent four years thinking I was BAD and having flashbacks. They were auras and I am not BAD. I am a regular person. This is the first time I am saying this on here. I hope it does not shock anyone. Yes I have them. My siblings do not talk to me because of the programs! It all sucks!

I will live though! I take my meds and go on. I am an adversary of programs! Thank you very much. I lost four years of my life. I finished college late, and I now have problems with intimacy due to "BANS". So thanks you very much, Mr. Program. The other thing that happened was that I caught pneumonia in each program. In all of them they told me it was psychosomatic! They also refused to treat it. To this day I get it. I am getting over a bout right now. It is not psychosomatic! It is due to a late diagnosis of lupus! Can you imagine that being left untreated?

I can relate to the athlete's foot issue! I get that periodically due to my immune system. It is a bitch! That poor guy! It is sick what program's DON'T do in the name of treatment. Anne , I am sorry you went through that! That is truly sick! I was told stupid shit like that and I have tried to not let it bother me, but it is not easy!