Author Topic: Sabotaging Your Program on Purpose.................anyone???  (Read 3634 times)

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
Sabotaging Your Program on Purpose.................anyone???
« on: September 29, 2003, 07:25:00 AM »
I remember it was not until I had been 7 stepped for 2 months that a senior staff member named Liz Cassidy from the Morgan Yacht St. Pete
program finally realized my family situation. Up until that time, most of the staffers had no idea that I was the natural born son of my father and that my two stepbrothers had been adopted by him in 1974 after he had married their mother. My natural mom that had put me into straight
had long since dropped out of the program and no one had seen her for almost a year. She met and talked to my mom during the Halloween of 1979 when she brought my youngest sister to visit the Haunted house at Straight, and really got the low-down on the whole deal. She even talked to my little sister for a long time and explained to her why I was so different from the long haired crazy werewolf of a brother that had left her home the previous year for good. After working for my stepmom awhile, she finally understood completely just how lost I was in the world living as a stranger in my father's new home with a whole new family, and how unfair it had all been not being able to go back and live
with my mother and sisters and start over. My life was slammed shut and reprogrammed and I was just an actor in a horribly twisted play.
I remember Liz talking to me about it a couple of months later while she was on break from her job at my stepmother's dress shop.She asked me point blank how I could stand to live the way I did, as a second class citizen in a home that was not my own.
I do remember though, about halfway through my 4th phase when I found out that my dad had no intention of putting me through school to learn Commercial Art, simply because my older stepbrother Mike fucked up his SAT test so bad that even J.C. was out of the question.  Since his mother wore the pants in the family, and my dad was too pussy whipped to object, my future  was better spent on a vacation to Texas later in the year. I got pissed off enough to throw a monkey wrench into the whole show and get myself started over. I made up a story that I had been getting hall passes at school and going into the "Brother-man" bathroom and getting high off the reefer smoke still in the air from between classes. I made this
confession to Mike Murphy, Junior Staff and nothing happened. I was floored!! What the hell did it take to get started over goddamnitt!
I found out later that night when they wound up having 5 newcomers that needed a foster home and my house, PATTERSON HORIZONS wound up taking 3 of them. What a bunch of shit. I was just a fuckin guard dog to them people. Once I made home and went to live with my dad, we had 47 newcomers and 0 splits. Upon my wonderful discovery of my
place in the program, I did however pretty much do as I damn well pleased at school from that point on, and pretty much say whatever I felt like when in group as well. I was immune to prosecution as long as we kept cranking out successful 2nd phasers from my home. That's
how I got through the shit. I was actually let down when they 7 stepped me. I had only been on 5th phase for 27 days, and I set such a good example of empathy and sensitivity, the goons did'nt know how to get through the day with me around. I think in a way, they cut me loose so that they could get back to "business as usual."

[ This Message was edited by: 85 Day Jerk on 2003-09-29 04:31 ]

[ This Message was edited by: 85 Day Jerk on 2003-10-02 11:33 ]
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 03:26:03 PM by 85 Day Jerk »
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2003, 12:49:00 PM »
:smokin:   :wave:    :tup:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2003, 02:13:00 PM »
Ok, Bob...since I know that that last post by Mr/Mrs Anon is without a doubt going to piss you off, I'll take a stab at responding to your post...

In a way, you could say that I deliberately sabotaged my program when I decided to slide down that embankment to the railroad tracks instead of walking to my dishwashing job on 5th phase. I had been on 5th for almost a year, & got tired of not 7-stepping open meeting after open meeting. It was getting old. So was washing dishes and playing "headgames" about the glasses that had alcohol in them. Also, listening to "More Fun In The New World" by X got me longing for freedom. Listen to it and maybe you'll know what I mean... "We're Having Much More Fun, you don't know where we've gone..etc.." When I decided to go back in, of course I knew that I was facing a startover. I was over 18, and somehow knew that I'd be out soon enough. It took me less than 2 months to 7 step from that startover. I don't know what would have happened if they had tried to keep me in there any longer than that...

[ This Message was edited by: Froderik13 on 2003-09-29 11:15 ]

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2003, 05:49:00 AM »
Hey Alex, anonymous postings don't really make me mad.  It is anonymous REPLIES that thereby allow someone to say some outlandish shit that would render him toothless on the street is what really offends me.

Onto the topic then shall we?  You opened up the door to something that had never been considered by those in charge at my program.  A fifth phase start over was unheard of back then, let alone some of these 7 stepper startovers.  I think it was Kim Hyde of St. Pete Florida that started the trend.  She was actually stupid enough to get caught having sex in her mom's old car not 500 feet from the Gandy building!!  I think up until that point all that Straight offered was called a "7 Step Refresher."  My little stepbrother got put on one and the program tried to charge my dad an outlandish fee.  I guess after Newton took over, he found a way to capitalize on this.  As an older graduate, from a better time, I noticed that the kids that hung out at Pinellas or Tyrone Square Mall seemed to always be getting into trouble and confronted about what I considered to be normal teenage behavior.  After awhile, I started to notice a sort of cult-like pattern of parents working at the mall and kids winding up back on refreshers and shit.  Two ex-staffer girls that I had known for a long time persuaded me to check out a church in Largo called First Baptist of Indian Rocks.  It had a very large and dynamic youth group about 75 kids strong at the time.  Liz and Nancy were really fed up with the way the program had changed and would not even set foot in the building after the Newton takeover.  (Her father founded a new program in Tennessee following the takeover) I went to a meeting with them and I liked what I saw.  I began urging other kids from Straight to attend, and pretty soon the new "Newton Steppers" were all going there on Monday nights instead of hanging out at open meeting like so much window dressing.  Word got back to staff, and they tried some shit about saying that recent 7 steppers were not allowed to go there.  This backfired on Newton beautifully, when some of the parents caught wind of it and ripped him a new asshole in a special Parents Meeting held one Saturday on the side of the building.  That church winded up being a lifesaver for quite a few of us because it became our surrogate meeting place after Newton "terminated" over 50 of us in less than a 3 month period.  I am comming up on my 20 year anniversary of being trespassed from the property by a Sheriffs Deputy.  This Halloween, maybe a bunch of us can dress up like Pentacostal Zombies and stand in front of Newton's beach house holding hands and singing "Pass It On."  He just might pop off with a heart attack or a really cool brain anuerism!!!! ::bigsmilebounce::  :flame:  :flame:

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2003, 09:26:00 AM »
Oh Christ! "Pass It On" Just when you think that there's nothing more to remember/forget...as far as anon posting goes: Yes, it bugs the shit out of me how some people can "hide behind the curtain" of anonymity to say things to me that they are afraid to say otherwise. I'd like to cite a specific example of this, but I'll refrain..let's just say that the anon was probably someone who normally posts here with a username, but because they had some sort of (unfounded) criticizm (of me) they were to CHICKENSHIT to post under their regular name. You know who you are...hey, I don't bite, lol. I agree, nothing wrong with anonymous posting if it's done for the right reasons...
Later -

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2003, 03:23:00 PM »
help me out here....whats up with "Straight" "treatment center"...there are still centers abusing kids and stuff?? :wstupid:

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2003, 06:09:00 PM »
Yeah, some (maybe most) of the locations that shut down under pressure didn't really shut down. They just changed their names and went on w/ business as usual. Check out http://thestraights.com/ Somewhere therein, under A Clockwork Straight, there's a flow chart showing the progression all the way back to The Seed. (most people thought The Seed was just a bad memory back in `76 when a bunch of Program parents founded Straight. Just more subterfuge, I'm afraid)

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach him to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.
--Anonymous

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Sam Kinison

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 03:17:00 AM »
I remember you as Bob Newman and you were the only Patterson!Mike and Scott weren't even Pattersons!No wonder you seemed crazy!I understand completely as I was a result of my parents turning their lives and wills over to a greater power,that being their new spouses.Mamas,don't let your babies grow up to be stepchildren!I used Straight as an opportunity to get away from that BS as my family lived upstate which was fine by me.Once I intaked,I never really went back home.I guess that's why I'm not as bitter as so many other posters.Bob,were you Mike Saylor's newcomer when he and those other guys from Tampa were doing their thing?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 04:07:00 AM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Hey Alex, anonymous postings don't really make me mad. It is anonymous REPLIES that thereby allow someone to say some outlandish shit that would render him toothless on the street is what really offends me

better words couldn't have been said!...lol.....
85,no doubt........the anons do it like some skinny misbehavor that hits someone or spits on them cause he knows if anyone does anything back they'll get chewed a new one too....hippie

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 01:11:00 PM »
On 2003-09-29 04:25:00, 85 Day Jerk wrote:

Once I made home and went to live with my dad, we had 47 newcomers and 0 splits. "

Now that's something to be proud of!!!  Keep it up and you'll be Straight in no time!

On 2003-09-30 02:49:00, 85 Day Jerk wrote:

That church winded up being a lifesaver for quite a few of us because it became our surrogate meeting place after Newton "terminated" over 50 of us in less than a 3 month period.  

Now, Bob, I hope you understand that I was kidding (sort of) with the above reply, but it seems to me that you are still guzzling the kool-aid.  Maybe you just drank so much of it that you still have the aftertaste in your brain.  Boasting about, or even reporting, a statistic of "O cop outs" or whatever, seems really fucked up to me.......just sayin'.  The notion that the church became a "lifesaver" is utterly ridiculous, and implies that you believe the DEADINSANEINJAIL bullshit that got us all incarcerated in Straight in the first place.  STRAIGHT DID NOT SAVE YOUR LIFE, YOUR SANITY, OR YOUR FREEDOM.  In fact, it jeopardized (or destroyed) all three.  Sure, you received less damage from church than from Open Meetings and 7 Step Society raps, but the fact that you seem to think that it was a "lifesaver" indicates to me that you are still, to some degree or another, buying the silly notion that we were "powerless" and would be dead if it weren't for the good folks at Straight, Inc.  I'm not saying this to give you a ration of shit, I think you mean well, but you know what they say about good intentions and all, "I just" think maybe you should take a "step" or two (or seven, or twelve) back and look at the way that you are regarding Straight.  Straight did you no favors, only aggravated already fucked up situations.

On 2006-04-27 01:07:00, stillahippie564 wrote:

the anons do it like some skinny misbehavor that hits someone or spits on them cause he knows if anyone does anything back they'll get chewed a new one too....hippie"

I was gonna log in, but as a "skinny misbehavor", I'll take this opportunity to anonymously tewll you to fuck off.  Chew me a new one, Straightling. It really bothers me that not only do you seem to think that Straight would have been OK "if only.....Newton weren't there....or they hadn't sat on people.....or starved and sl;eep deprived them.......a kinder, gentler Straight would be perfect", but that you compare anon posters that bother you with "misbehavers" in Straight (who, by the way, along with coppouts, garner MUCH MORE RESPECT FROM ME than do ex-staff like yourself), as if the "misbehavers" were the ones in the wrong....

Anon posting arguments aside, this entire topic disgusts me.  It's like a bunch of emancipated slaves sitting arround talking about "did you ever diobey the ol' massa on purpose?"  ANYONE WITH HALF A BRAIN LEFT INTENTIONALLY SABOTAGED THEIR "PROGRAM" BECAUSE THE "PROGRAM" WAS FAULTY, ILLOGICAL, INCOHERENT, AND GENERALLY FUCKED UP.

Perhaps, though, there is hope for you, Jerk and Hippie.  Maybe these notions you are having are actually the first signs that you are finally breaking free from the Straightcult-----I mean, first you have to conceive of 'sabotaging" your "program" before you can actually do it.  When you're ready to break free, Let us know......

Offline Woof-a-Doof

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 08:35:00 PM »
Upon my wonderful discovery of my place in the program

From this point untill the end of this post, I am struck by the simplicity, introspection and tragic truth of your words. I find them hauntingly familiar in comparison with my own memories of that time period.

I have said it before, in terms of being a "jerk": You were a CLASSIC. You effectively proved to us that you could be spontainiously psychotic at any given moment. No one, staff, group, individuals...none of us really knew quite how to respond/react. Memories of your recital of Queens "Bohemian Rhapsody" verbatium...is perminately etched in my minds eye. (as I am sure it is by many of our minds that witnessed that event)

Point is, you were recieved as "crazy" and that was how we knew you. I think back at that time period and I recall you almost immediately set out on that which was most practical; education, transportation, employment and shelter. (although...you probably could of had  a much better roomate other than myself) You, in reality were actually much more centerd and actually goal oriented and achieving them!

I remember when you 7 stepped/graduated...SHOCK & AWE...

they cut me loose so that they could get back to "business as usual."

I think you are real close to the truth...more likey it was all about the $$$ Although I  am sure there was a sigh of relief when you walked out of the doors. As you were percieved as "crazy" AND you spoke your mind, you were percieved as a threat...and as difficult. Your "practical" emmergence into the world, although admirable and noteworthy...it was still overshadowed by people hearing in the back of their minds...GUYS MEDICATION.

I did not know the entire family situation...I did not know much of the background and I was probably too young to have begun to appreciate your circumstance...and I was there

Todays word: anathema

[ This Message was edited by: Woof-a-Doof on 2006-04-27 17:35 ]
What is right is not always popular...What is popular is not always right

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2006, 11:46:00 AM »
In response to Sam Kinison, I was Mike Saylor's newcomer right before the guys officially screwed up.  Although I seriously doubt Mike screwed up, I DO believe he made out with a girl where he was working at the time, (in a god forsaken burger grind at Busch Gardens)  He was a good guy, and once his parents realized that staff intended to punish him as use him as an excuse for the failures no one really had any control over, he was pulled from the program faster than a jet hitting an aircraft carrier and coming to a complete stop.
        As far as the 0 split record, their was one split and his name was Gordon, and it was Mike and Scotts fault, it happened on purpose so that I would not be allowed to live with my mother.  Had I gone on to live with my mom, I would have turned out completely different.  As it were, I was a part of Patterson Horizons and no one split my care because that was my fucking job. Name me the people that sailed through the program by letting scores of newcomers split, asshole, I wanted out same as everyone else, but letting people split was viewed as VERY PUSSY.  I took care of those who were placed in my care.  They also learned how to write top notch M.I.'s and CON, yes CON their way through if they had to right under the very noses of the very staff who would later go on to read their Moral Inventories.
Shit, I did not even get in trouble when I turned in One Hundred and Twenty Seven RSA's that were virtually identical.  All George Ross said was that he had never met someone that stubborn to learn about themselves in all his years.  Sure the program sucked, by I was stuck and had to make the best of it, and if I enriched the lives of others by being a jerk, so much the better.

Offline Sam Kinison

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2006, 01:03:00 AM »
Bob,I never said those Tampa boys screwed up.I don't like that terminology.Maybe we screwed up by going along.....who knows?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2006, 03:21:00 PM »
ANYONE WITH HALF A BRAIN LEFT INTENTIONALLY SABOTAGED THEIR "PROGRAM" BECAUSE THE "PROGRAM" WAS FAULTY, ILLOGICAL, INCOHERENT, AND GENERALLY FUCKED UP.

:tup:

Offline linchpin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2006, 05:13:00 AM »
Wow, those fuckers really got you, jerk..You still sound like a straightling...arent you like 50 now?!
img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/Toothfairy_TP/u100.gif[/img]