Author Topic: Pinehaven Christian Children's Ranch - new entry on the wiki  (Read 16111 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Responses to "Four Boys Missing From Pinehaven Since Mid Jul
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 12:06:31 PM »
Responses left for the above blog entry, "Four Boys Missing From Pinehaven Since Mid July" (by David Krug; 03. Aug, 2010; 'Standing In Corners' blog):

lisa whatley · 05. Aug, 2010 at 4:23 pm
    how could my nephew cody disappear in thin air .we are prayin for u cody to come back home to us we miss and love.
William Miller · 06. Aug, 2010 at 3:01 am
    I was Cody’s foster parent when he was little I know how troubled he is he and I got along very well if I can help let me know
    Tell him I love him
    Willie miller

# #
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Pile of Dead Kids

• View Profile
Re: Pinehaven Christian Children's Ranch - new entry on the
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 01:19:54 PM »
Ursus, when posting articles about runaways from programs, please try not to include information that might lead to someone actually finding them, such as faces.
...Sergey Blashchishen, James Shirey, Faith Finley, Katherine Rice, Ashlie Bunch, Brendan Blum, Caleb Jensen, Alex Cullinane, Rocco Magliozzi, Elisa Santry, Dillon Peak, Natalynndria Slim, Lenny Ortega, Angellika Arndt, Joey Aletriz, Martin Anderson, James White, Christening Garcia, Kasey Warner, Shirley Arciszewski, Linda Harris, Travis Parker, Omega Leach, Denis Maltez, Kevin Christie, Karlye Newman, Richard DeMaar, Alexis Richie, Shanice Nibbs, Levi Snyder, Natasha Newman, Gracie James, Michael Owens, Carlton Thomas, Taylor Mangham, Carnez Boone, Benjamin Lolley, Jessica Bradford's unnamed baby, Anthony Parker, Dysheka Streeter, Corey Foster, Joseph Winters, Bruce Staeger, Kenneth Barkley, Khalil Todd, Alec Lansing, Cristian Cuellar-Gonzales, Janaia Barnhart, a DRA victim who never even showed up in the news, and yet another unnamed girl at Summit School...

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Police: Three Valley Teens Missing In Montana
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2010, 03:39:42 PM »
Whether or not this may have been coincidental, after David Krug posted the above blog entry, the mainstream news media finally began covering these missing kids cases.

Video news coverage at the link below:

MyWabashValley.com
Police: Three Valley Teens Missing In Montana
Reported by: Patrick Fazio & David Shepherd
Aug 4, 2010?

Three Valley teens are missing from the Pinehaven Christian Children’s Ranch in Montana, police sources confirmed late Wednesday night.

The teens have been identified as 14-year-old Cody Thompson and 16-year-old Chace Salyers of Olney, IL and 15-year-old Thom Morson of Terre Haute, IN.  Police also say 17-year-old Adam Irving from Normal, IL is also missing.  

Police are considering the teens runaways.  The same police sources say the Pinehaven Christian Children’s Ranch is a place for troubled teens.

If you have any information about where these teens may be, you are urged to call the Lake County, Montana Sheriff's Department at (406) 883 - 7301.

We are continuing to follow this developing story and will pass details along as they come in.

Copyright (c) 1998 - 2010 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
4 Valley teens missing in Montana
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2010, 02:28:47 PM »
Rhonda Morris would be the mum who first posted about the kids missing from Pinehaven on David Krug's blog entry (above).

Video news coverage at the link...

WTHITV.com · [Terre Haute, Indiana]
4 Valley teens missing in Montana

Updated: Saturday, 07 Aug 2010, 10:03 PM EDT
Published : Wednesday, 04 Aug 2010, 10:17 PM EDT

Kate Greene

Chance Salyers with his mother Rhonda Morris. File Photo

OLNEY, Ill. (WTHI) - Four teens go missing from a Montana ranch, three of which are from the Wabash valley.

Sixteen-year old Chance Salyers of Olney, Illinois, 14-year-old Cody Thompson of Olney, Illinois, 15-year-old Thom Morson of Terre Haute and 17-year-old Adam Irwin of Normal, Illinois are all on the Missing Persons database of Montana.

All four boys recently ran away from the Pinehaven Christian Children's Ranch in Montana; a place for troubled teens.

"I just want him to call mom and I'll come get him because I love him," Chance Salyers' mother Rhonda Morris said.

Rhonda Morris visited her 16-year-old son, Chance just one week before he disappeared.

Chance was court ordered to Pinehaven Christian Children's Ranch last year.

Morris said Chance seemed to be doing well.

"Then a week later I get a call and he's gone, it kind of blind-sided me to be honest," Morris said.

On July 15th, Chance Salyers and 17-year-old Adam Irwin ran away from the church camp, which is located 65 miles north of the ranch in Montana.

Then just 11 days later, two more boys ran away from the ranch, 14-year-old Cody Thompson of Olney and 15-year-old Thom Morson of Terre Haute.

Pinehaven owner Bob Larsson said officials at the ranch and police are doing everything they can to help bring the boys back.

"Our people mobilized and went and searched for them to see if they could find them and we were unable to locate them," Pinehaven owner Bob Larsson said.

Morris is unable to figure out why her son ran away.

"Whether it was a justified reason or whether it was teenage hormones and stupidity, I don't know," Morris said.

However, after the teens went missing old allegations of child abuse from a past Pinehaven resident re-surfaced. A two month investigation was conducted earlier this spring by the Lake County Sheriff's Department. The report showed no evidence to support the child abuse claim.

Whatever the reason for running, a week has passed and Cody Thompson and Thom Morson remain missing.

Adam Irwin was caught by police in Kalispell, Montana on Tuesday, but Police said on their way to juvenile court Irwin took off, again.

As for Chance Salyers, 3 weeks have gone by and still no word.

News 10 spoke with Cody Thompson's mother Lorraine, who is in Montana searching for her son.

She said she did notice a change in his demeanor shortly before he ran away. She said he recently found out he may be staying at the ranch until he graduates, something she said he wasn't expecting.

If you have any information of the whereabouts of these four boys call the Lake County Sheriff's Department in Montana at 406-883-73-01.

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2010 LIN Television Corporation.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Comments for "4 Valley teens missing in Montana"
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 01:03:02 AM »
Comments left for the above article, "4 Valley teens missing in Montana" (by Kate Greene, 04 Aug 2010, WTHItv.com):

bigmamatat 0p  · 1 week ago
    One of the children is my grandson, Thomas Morson. If anyone has any information about this situation please contact me... 812-208-3090 My name is Joseph Morson (Grandpa Joe). This is the first an only news that I have heard about his dissapereance. Thank you.
    angelic82 2p  · 1 week ago
      Cody's is my brother in law and his mom is in Montana right now. I had her call the Missing Children's Hotline and she is posting flyers for Cody. She is working with people trying to find him.
    [/list]
    JamesPMason 60p  · 1 week ago
      It is important to note that although Pinehaven and Lake County report only one Alumni are making allegations, there are actually dozens of former residents working towards changing the facility's policies in order to protect children in a way that they were not protected.

Adults run from responsibility, children run from fear. Children have been running from this facility for decades. There is a reason that they are running. Unfortunately for the children living there, the Larssons are masters at rhetoric and are powerful enough in the area to avoid any true investigative action.

The facility has experienced a mass exodus of staff over the past six months, many of which have made reports of abuse and institutional hardships as their reason for resigning. Bob Larsson has been notified of specific physical abuse (choking) by a former staff member, yet the abuser is still working at the facility in a leadership and training capacity.

My thouhts and prayers go out to the family of these boys. May they return to safety soon, wherever that may be.
    CrowWoman 42p  · 1 week ago
      I belong to a church that was notified back in March of abuse allegations against Pinehaven Christian Children's Ranch. Our Missions Committee met with Mr. Larsson back in May and noted serious concerns. We found out that there are no medical professionals on staff, nor are there any professionals in Psychology or Counseling. Mr. Larsson told us that children on meds for conditions such as ADD, ADHD are brought to the Ranch and weaned off their medications. He said there was a doctor in St. Ignatius who oversees this, yet one former resident told me that he never saw the doctor--ever--while he was being weaned from his meds. Pinehaven is unlicensed and unregulated. Unlike other Christian groups with which I am familiar, Pinehaven provides no regular financial statements to supporters. There is no independent Board of Directors consisting of business/medical professionals.
      anonymous1709 23p  · 1 week ago
        Please contact me! I would love to speak to you personally... My number is 561 633 0961, or email me at
      [email protected]. Please call or email me with any questions or comments. Thank you[/list]
        Other groups our church supports usually includes regular financial statements with their mailings. Usually, a charity sends out annual reports with a statement from a CPA. Looking at an organization's website, you expect to see names and qualifications of directors and staff. Statistics about the program's long-term success. A list of board members and their backgrounds. As church members, and possibly because Bob Larsson is from Illinois, we don't notice the red flags popping up everywhere.
      [/list][/list]
        From an e-mail from Bob Larsson to our church dated July 24: "Regarding your latest criticism that the sheriff's report did not include interviews with the kids themselves, that was taken care of this week by a visit from the County protection services who found no complaints." What Mr. Larsson did not mention was that two children were already missing from the Ranch.
        ForCody 2p  · 1 week ago
          Thank you for putting that so well. It makes me sick to think what these poor children are going through and what all the people before them went through. Everything needs checks and balances. To be totally cut off from everything except the uncertified staff at Pinehaven gives the staff a ridiculous and unneeded power and these children a feeling of helplessness when something is going completely wrong. One of the mothers sensed something was very wrong but her son couldn't tell her because all of his communication was monitored. So he took matters into his own hands and now look where we all are! He left days before she was to fly out and see him.
        [/list]
        Qhoeleth 20p  · 1 week ago
          Seems to me we are missing some stuff here. From the article, at least one of these kids was sent to Pinehaven under court order. Hysterical parent(s) notwithstanding, this is a dysfunctional youth and, statistically, most likely from a dysfunctional home which is why the State took the youth out of the home and put him in the care of others. Do not be surprised when delinquent kids act like delinquent kids even in a new setting. It took mom (and perhaps dad) 14, 16, 18 years to screw him up. No residential program can fix that over night.

The article also referred to Pinehaven as "a church camp". It isn't a church camp anymore than boot camp is Boy Scout camp. If Chance and the others thought he would have Bible classes in the morning, a nap after lunch, softball in the afternoon and a talent show in the evening, somebody didn't level with him. That place is a working ranch and the youth learn to do physical work. I wonder if any of these boys ever did a lick of work before they got to Montana. I suspect that some of these youth were on a direct route to a life in prison before the court intervened and sent them to Montana...which is probably a whole lot nicer than jail would have been.

What I'd like to see are statistics that compare the success rate of Pinehaven with our tax-supported J/D facilities complete with their license and their medical personnel.
          OBVIOUSTRUTH 40p  · 1 week ago
            Actually some of the boys did run away from the summer church camp that Pine Haven runs down by the lake. It really is break from the hard work of the Pine Haven Ranch. Trout fishing campfires smores bibles and songs. It is usually a welcomed vacation from bucking hay and most of the kids will have to had been on the best behavior to go and also had the school work up to date and passing.
              JUST SO U KNOW... I AM SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCE... I LIVED AT THAT RANCH FOR FOUR YEARS... I WAS "PUNISHED" UNTIL MY HEART MUSCLES LITERALLY RIPPED... I WAS TAKEN TO A DOCTOR WHO STRONGLY RECOMMENDED THAT I HAVE SURGERY. MY HOUSEPARENTS TOLD ME NOT TO TELL MY PARENTS AND TRIED TO HEAL ME WITH VITAMINS. I AM ANGRY. YOU SIR, OBVIOUSLY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. I TOLD YOU TO LOCK YOURSELF IN A CLOSET BECAUSE THATS WHAT I DELT WITH THERE. Of course the children graduate... that is their only hope of escape unless they run away. We all get baptized before we leave because we know that reduces our punishments. Before we are baptized, we stay isolated and "grounded" 98% of the time. I, specifically, was constantly reminded that if I was baptized, God would "fix" me and I would not be in trouble so much. I speak from pain that won't go away. 6 years later, in a wonderful relationship with beautiful children, I cry remembering what I went through while I was there...
              I am ashamed that I did not try to say anything earlier. Please be careful how you speak. I have much more "experience" than you think... No, my children were not taken away by the court... they are and will ever remain by my side. I will see to it that I NEVER put my children through any situation like Pinehaven. I encourage you to read the discussions on facebook and other web sites from Pinehaven alumni. This isn't an elaborate story from hundreds of bitter children. This is a cry for help. And your voice is the same voice we have been hearing for years. "they're all liars."
              Please contact Bob Larsson and ask him about the boy who ran away and killed himself with brake fluid. Or about the two girls that were raped by their own teacher at the "relaxing summer camp". Or about the houseparent who was forced to leave after sleeping with another boy on the ranch. Or about Bob Larsson's own son, who was forced to step down from his responsibilities at the ranch because of a two-year affair.
              I apologize if i sound mean sir. I'm hurt and upset that you would talk to me like that not understanding what exactly we have gone through. I feel like i'm still stuck asking for help and you're laughing like its a joke.
              Its not funny.
            [/list]
            JamesPMason 60p  · 2 days ago
              Qhoeleth,

You asked about statistics that compare the success rate of Pinehaven compared to Juvenile Detention facilities. Here's some stats for you.

Throughout the US, juveniles released from JD before their 16th birthday are 45% likely to return by the age of 18 and 25% likely to be incarcerated as adults either before their 18th birthday or after. Juveniles releasaed from JD between 16 and 18/19 are 85% likely to be incarcerated as adults if released.

Now Pinehaven. From three years of gathering research, we have found a total of 17 people since 1990 who have left Pinehaven and not had serious trouble within the first 18 months (i.e. incarceration, arrest, drug use, pre-marital pregnancy, homelessness, suicide, attempted suicide). Total, we have found less than 40 students who have attended college, and less than 25 who have graduated with a Bachelor's Degree. We have discovered a near 100% rate of depression, and consistent cases of incidental anxiety.
            JamesPMason 60p  · 2 days ago
              We have yet to find a single person to say that they were fully equipped to deal with the financial responsibilities necessary to operate in the "real world".

If you have any further questions, feel free to call me at 912-414-7103
            [/list]
              Qhoeleth's response appears to be a variation of what we were told when our church inquired about the abuse allegations. There was no acknowledgement that the allegations might be true, nor did Pinehaven invite an investigation to determine if they were true. (Any investigating, as we understood it, was the result of Krug's allegations and possibly our follow-up.) Rather than acknowledge that something may have happened, we were repeatedly told how delinquent the children are. The truth is, though, that "delinquent" kids can be abused and are actually more vulnerable to it. No matter how obnoxious they might be, nothing justifies the abuse discussed on their Facebook site and elsewhere.
              One of our members sent a letter of concern to the Montana Division of Criminal Investigation. This letter detailed the allegations found on the Pinehaven alumni Facebook site and included material taken from the "In their Words: An Uncensored Account" publication. Interestingly, this member's letter was sent back to the church--from Pinehaven. Apparently, the Montana DCI sent the letter to the Lake County Sheriff's Office which then shared it with Pinehaven. We then wondered if abuse allegations from students, staff, or house parents would be likewise shared, which would seem to be a breach of confidentiality. If this type of sharing occurs between Pinehaven and the County law enforcement, we suspect few are willing to say much.
            angelic82 2p  · 1 week ago
              Cody is my brother in law and we need to find him please everyone band together and get these kids home safely. We miss Cody and need him home.
            emeek75 1p  · 1 week ago
              I was in pinehaven from 1990 to 1993 I enjoyed my time there i was not abused there. Our form of punishment was to write sentences or do extra chore such as bullpen duty or working on the rock pile and we didnt get to enjoy some of the other things that the ones who were not grounded got to enjoy. But all in all i enjoyed my time and experience there if it wasnt for them I wouldve been in more trouble than what i was in at that present time. I am sorry for what is going on out there and I hope the families are reunited with their loved ones. But I dont have anything bad to say about my pinehaven experience. I even graduated from their school which I know for a fact that I would not have finished school if I had not went there.
              David 49p  · 1 week ago
                Emeek75,
                I agree Pinehaven can be a good place for kids. But since 1993 when I arrived and now the abuse allegations have been increasing at a rate of massive worry.

2 students were raped there in 2003, and at that time alumni began asking for safeguards to protect kids and we've been ignored, and demonized.

Pinehaven uses its local influence to refute allegations and put an end to investigations. Very sad.

Glad your doing well though :)

Check out our alumni board to reconnect with old friends:
              http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=49217397043...[/list][/list]
              saxsellers 1p  · 1 week ago
                My thoughts and prayers go out to all of the boys and their families. I had a chance to work with Cody last summer. It was good to get to know him a little. Again, my prayers go out for them and family. God bless.
              larrywanders 62p  · 1 week ago
                Interesting letter written to Pinehaven in 2009 and published online.
              http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/StopPinehav...

Even more interesting is the complete lack of any local (Montana) news coverage of the boys disappearing from Pinehaven. It's as if they never existed, not even Pinehaven Ranch is to be found in a local archive search. Most Strange.[/list]
                David 49p  · 1 week ago
                  Larry,
                  Yes all the local media acts like this issue doesnt exist. The whole thing that's because thats how far Pinehaven's influence is. Imagine trying to get any investigation into wrongdoing at all.
                [/list]
                irwincpa 1p  · 1 week ago
                  I am Adam Irwin's grandfather. The artical s vey one sided. Pinehaven does a very good job with the children who go there. I am sure that the strict schedule and work requirements are a problem for many. The childern all have work to do on the ranch. they are linitedas to their dress, the amount of tv and music they see, how they keep their rooms etc. the children that go there all have problems, thih school, drugs, the law etc. so their time is filled with school, work , and activities under strict control of the staff. Adam got homesick after his mother visited in June. The staff treats the children very well and most respond well but a very few do not and make all types of false claims Douglas Irwin
                  southernillimom 2p  · 1 week ago
                    My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. But I have to respectfully disagree with some of what you said. Just because these kids are troubled is no reason to automatically discount what they have to say. Yes, being in that type of structured environment would seem awful to a child at first but after a while they would come around. It has been my observation that the people who post to the facebook site and are making the most horrific claims are adults now who have been away from pinehaven for years. I've spent quite alot of time around troubled youth myself. I can tell you that if they are still giving the same account for the abuse years later then odds are it is true.
                  [/list]
                  Qhoeleth 20p  · 1 week ago
                    So many things we don't know:
                    - If the courts sent these young men to Pinehaven, are they still wards of the court? If so, if/when they are caught/found, will the courts still have jurisdiction over them? If so, where are they apt to be sent now?
                    - How many of these young men have run away from home and/or other facilities to which they have been sent?
                    - How many of these young men have criminal histories or other police records?
                    - How many of these young men were in special education classes at their schools because of behavior disorders?
                    - How many of these young men are from broken homes?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                  Wabash Valley Teens Missing From Montana Youth Ranch
                  « Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 02:24:17 PM »
                  WIBQ 98.5fm TERRE HAUTE'S NEWS TALK
                  Wabash Valley Teens Missing From Montana Youth Ranch
                  Posted Thursday August 5, 2010 1 week, 5 days ago

ST IGNATIUS, MT (WIBQ) - Authorities in Montana continue to look for 4 teen age boys, including 3 from the Wabash Valley, who ran away from Pinehaven Christian Children's Ranch; a place for troubled teens. Sixteen-year old Chance Salyers and 14-year-old Cody Thompson, both of Olney, Illinois, 15-year-old Thom Morson of Terre Haute and 17-year-old Adam Irvin of Normal, Illinois all went missing on various days in the last month. After the teens went missing previous allegations of child abuse from a Pinehaven resident re-surfaced.

The Lake County Sheriff's Department conducted an investigation earlier this year but, no evidence to support the child abuse claim was found. Anyone with information on the location of the 4 missing boys can call the Lake County Sheriff's Department in Montana at 406-883-7301.

© 2010 WIBQ

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                  Two Olney teens among ranch runaways
                  « Reply #21 on: August 18, 2010, 01:14:36 PM »
                  Olney Daily Mail
                  Two Olney teens among ranch runaways

WTHI
                  Posted Aug 05, 2010 @ 01:10 PM
                  Olney, Ill. —

Four teenagers, including two Olney residents, are missing after recently running away from a Montana facility for troubled youth, television station WTHI reported Wednesday.

Sixteen-year old Chance Salyers, of Olney, 14-year-old Cody Thompson, of Olney, 15-year-old Thom Morson, of Terre Haute, and 17-year-old Adam Irvin, of Normal, Illinois are all on the missing persons database of Montana after recently running away from the Pinehaven Christian Children's Ranch in Montana, a facility for troubled teens.

"I just want him to call mom and I'll come get him because I love him," said Chance Salyers' mother, Rhonda Morris.

Rhonda Morris visited her 16-year-old son, Chance just one week before he disappeared.

Salyers was court ordered to Pinehaven Christian Children's Ranch last year.

Morris said he seemed to be doing well.

"Then a week later I get a call and he's gone, it kind of blind-sided me to be honest," Morris said.

On July 15, Salyers and 17-year-old Adam Irvin ran away from the church camp, which is located 65 miles north of the ranch in Montana.

Eleven days later, Thompson and Morson ran away from the ranch.

Pinehaven owner Bob Larsson said officials at the ranch and police are doing everything they can to help bring the boys back.

"Our people mobilized and went and searched for them to see if they could find them and we were unable to locate them," Larsson said.

Morris is unable to figure out why her son ran away.

"Whether it was a justified reason or whether it was teenage hormones and stupidity, I don't know," Morris said.

However, after the teens went missing old allegations of child abuse from a past Pinehaven resident re-surfaced.

A two-month investigation was conducted earlier this spring by Lake County Sheriff's Department.

The report showed no evidence to support the child abuse claim.

Whatever the reason for running, a week has passed and Thompson and Morson remain missing.

Irvin was caught by police in Kalispell, Montana, on Tuesday, but police said on their way to juvenile court Irvin escaped.

Salyers has not been heard from in three weeks.

Cody Thompson's mother Lorraine, who is in Montana searching for her son, said she noticed a change in his demeanor shortly before he ran away. She said he recently found out he may be staying at the ranch until he graduates, something she said he wasn't expecting.

Any information of the whereabouts of the four boys should be directed to Lake County Sheriff's Department in Montana, (406) 883-7301.

WTHI

Copyright 2010 Olney Daily Mail.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                  Mother searches for teen missing in MT
                  « Reply #22 on: September 12, 2010, 09:26:43 PM »

Updated: Saturday, 07 Aug 2010, 10:04 PM EDT
                  Published : Friday, 06 Aug 2010, 8:00 PM EDT

Kate Greene

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - Three Wabash Valley teens remain missing in Montana

On July 15th, two teenagers from Olney and Normal, Illinois ran away from a children's ranch for troubled teens in Montana.

Just 10 days later, two more boys took off, another boy from Olney and one from Terre Haute.

Now another mother speaks out as her son remains missing.

Sixteen-year-old Chance Salyers, 14-year-old Cody Thompson both of Olney Illinois, 15-year-old Thom Morson of Terre Haute, and 17-year-old Adam Irwin of Normal Illinois all lived at Pinehaven Children's Christian Ranch in Montana.

News 10 learned Adam Irwin of Normal, Illinois was caught by police on Wednesday in Kalispell, Montana several miles north of where he and Chance Salyers ran away during a camping trip.

However, police said shortly after they caught Irvin, he took off again on his way to juvenile court.

On Friday, News 10 also discovered Irwin is no longer on the missing person's database of Montana. After numerous calls to several police departments officials said no arrest has been made on Irvin.

While it's unclear why Irvin is off the list, the three other Wabash Valley boys remain on the missing person's website.

Cody Thompson's mother Laraine Cornwell of Olney, Illinois is in Montana searching for answers.

She said Cody was dealing with a lot of changes at the ranch before he went missing.

"He moved from one house to another and he got told he was going to stay another four years," Thompson's mother Laraine Cornwell said. "That's the only reason why I think Cody left ."

Ever since the boys went missing, more questions have been raised about how Pinehaven treats the children and how the facility is run.

A CBS affiliate station in Missoula, Montana talked to a former Pinehaven resident who said the ranch is very strict.

"You talk to your parents 15 minutes a week and a lot of times your house parent is listening on the phone to what you're discussing so you can't talk about everything you want to talk about," former Pinehaven resident Jackie Ganhon said. "A kid can not tell their parents if they want to come home or what's really happening "

It's important to note that in Montana it is not illegal for juveniles to run away.

Lake County Sheriff's Department told News 10 that children have run away before from Pinehaven, but usually come back within that day or two. Officials said the children are never gone for this long.

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
                  Re: Mother searches for teen missing in MT
                  « Reply #23 on: September 12, 2010, 09:40:05 PM »
                  Quote from: "Ursus"

Updated: Saturday, 07 Aug 2010, 10:04 PM EDT
                  Published : Friday, 06 Aug 2010, 8:00 PM EDT

Kate Greene

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - Three Wabash Valley teens remain missing in Montana

On July 15th, two teenagers from Olney and Normal, Illinois ran away from a children's ranch for troubled teens in Montana.

Just 10 days later, two more boys took off, another boy from Olney and one from Terre Haute.

Now another mother speaks out as her son remains missing.

Sixteen-year-old Chance Salyers, 14-year-old Cody Thompson both of Olney Illinois, 15-year-old Thom Morson of Terre Haute, and 17-year-old Adam Irwin of Normal Illinois all lived at Pinehaven Children's Christian Ranch in Montana.

News 10 learned Adam Irwin of Normal, Illinois was caught by police on Wednesday in Kalispell, Montana several miles north of where he and Chance Salyers ran away during a camping trip.

However, police said shortly after they caught Irvin, he took off again on his way to juvenile court.

On Friday, News 10 also discovered Irwin is no longer on the missing person's database of Montana. After numerous calls to several police departments officials said no arrest has been made on Irvin.

While it's unclear why Irvin is off the list, the three other Wabash Valley boys remain on the missing person's website.

Cody Thompson's mother Laraine Cornwell of Olney, Illinois is in Montana searching for answers.

She said Cody was dealing with a lot of changes at the ranch before he went missing.

"He moved from one house to another and he got told he was going to stay another four years," Thompson's mother Laraine Cornwell said. "That's the only reason why I think Cody left ."

Well no kidding if I was told I was going to held as a teenager for four years anywhere I would run or try some other drastic action. What in gods name is wrong with his mother.
                  The only time I have seen adolescence held for 4-5 years was lack of parents, guardian, foster care, or they were a special case, psychotic or seriously mentally challenged.
                  This sounds so reminiscent of my situation only my parents spread it out over several different programs/institutions. My parents had already raised 6 kids before my little sister and me, so they were wore out, so putting the both of us in treatment centers for years was their solution to bad parenting skills or so my Dad said.

Ever since the boys went missing, more questions have been raised about how Pinehaven treats the children and how the facility is run.

A CBS affiliate station in Missoula, Montana talked to a former Pinehaven resident who said the ranch is very strict.

"You talk to your parents 15 minutes a week and a lot of times your house parent is listening on the phone to what you're discussing so you can't talk about everything you want to talk about," former Pinehaven resident Jackie Ganhon said. "A kid can not tell their parents if they want to come home or what's really happening "

It's important to note that in Montana it is not illegal for juveniles to run away.

Lake County Sheriff's Department told News 10 that children have run away before from Pinehaven, but usually come back within that day or two. Officials said the children are never gone for this long.

Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                  Re: Mother searches for teen missing in MT
                  « Reply #24 on: September 12, 2010, 10:05:14 PM »
                  Quote from: "DannyB II"
                  Quote from: "Kate Greene of WTHItv.com"

Well no kidding if I was told I was going to held as a teenager for four years anywhere I would run or try some other drastic action. What in gods name is wrong with his mother.
                  The only time I have seen adolescence held for 4-5 years was lack of parents, guardian, foster care, or they were a special case, psychotic or seriously mentally challenged.
                  This sounds so reminiscent of my situation only my parents spread it out over several different programs/institutions. My parents had already raised 6 kids before my little sister and me, so they were wore out, so putting the both of us in treatment centers for years was their solution to bad parenting skills or so my Dad said.
                  It would appear that Pinehaven Christian Children's Ranch tries to hold on to their charges as long as possible. Not exactly unheard of in this industry...

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                  Comments for "Mother searches for teen missing in MT"
                  « Reply #25 on: September 13, 2010, 10:31:12 AM »
                  These comments appear to have been heavily moderated. Compared to what I had previously copied (just the first few below), the earlier comment by David now currently reads as "This comment has been deleted by the administrator." The second comment by him, as well as the one by larrywanders, is now missing entirely.

Comments left for the above article, "Mother searches for teen missing in MT" (by Kate Greene, 06 Aug 2010, WTHItv.com):

ashley_kees 33p  · 5 weeks ago
                    why is this place even still open?!
                  David 49p  · 5 weeks ago
                    We are asking the same questions. The problem is they are operating without need of licensing and without checks and balances.

Countless reports of abuse come in every month its so sad. And no authorities want to listen. And even Montana's media wont run this simple report about the missing boys.
                    kenpscott 3p  · 4 weeks ago
                      David, you really know nothing of Pine Haven, when you lived here you were trying to "fit In with the Amish Community, they rejected you for a reason. You witch hunt on your own Blog is without merit.
                    [/list]
                    larrywanders 61p  · 5 weeks ago
                      This comment has been deleted by the user.[/list]
                        David 49p  · 5 weeks ago
                          Larry,
                          I think those comments are on the other video.
                        [/list]
                        anonymous1709 23p  · 5 weeks ago
                          they usually return within a day or two??? Where did that come from? I don't think anyone ever just walked back to the ranch a couple days later... "sorry guys i changed my mind..." I wish they would tell the world what happens when a kid gets caught after running away...
                        jkatie 27p  · 4 weeks ago
                          I am very familiar with Pinehaven ranch. It has helped many troubled teens get their lives back on track and become very successful adults. These teens gain a high school diploma while at Pinehaven, they are taught every day life skills, and they even enjoy recreational activities. I know the great things that are done for these chldren if they choose to stay at this ranch.
                          I can tell you from being a former Sgt with the Lake County Sheriffs Department and a resident of St. Ignatius for 30 years that the negitive storys behind Pinehaven have no Merit. Your always going to have bad apples even when you try to make a difference in someone's life. Most kids that come there are damaged goods. I am talking about mental, Physical, and Sexual abuse. Some are repairable and some are not. There they have the first experence of disapline and being held accountable for their actions, and guess what........they don't like it. So they take off. Most of the kids there learn how God is so important to have in their lives and you can see the transformation of them in their faces. Yes no system is perfect, not everyone has all the answers, that goes with ANY school.
                          snow_angel2006 1p  · 4 weeks ago
                            damaged goods?????? I personnally know one of the boys (he is family) and the mother of one of the others is a close friend of mine..they are not "damaged"..they might have issues (like we all do) that they need to address but everyone can change with the right advice, leadership etc. Obviously something caused the boys to leave..especially ones that have been in there for quite some time..if they were getting the right leadership and things to transform themselves..they would not of taken off..something is obviously amiss..I just hope and pray that they are all found safe and know God is watching over them...
                              hello, I can tell you I am praying with you, I just wished they could have gone to a phone and called someone. I am not saying they are all damaged but the majority have serious issues. I can tell you there are more sucess stories from Pinehaven then bad one's. Your going to get failures in any thing. look at the public schools, the sexual, physical and emotional abuse there. There are kids there who will buck the system because they do not want to held accountable, have responsibilities, or be diciplined PERIOD. Why do you think they go there in the first place. I can honestly say I don't know everything that goes on up there, but I have had house parents for friends, good people. not to mention the people who go there in teams from all over the county including Canada, Someone had to seen some of what pinehaven is accused of. Pay no attention to a man by the name of David Krug, this man has some serious mental issues, and is a fraud.
                            [/list][/list]
                              One day while on an investigation of an auto accident I came to the ranch and saw a young woman moving a manure pile with a shovel to another pile, I asked her why she was doing this, she stated to me she had a bad attitue and a dirty mouth. I asked her if the moving of this manure was going to make a difference, she said yes after the fist 20 trips from the first pile she knew she wanted to change. I saw her as the years passed by and she was a wonderful and polite girl, and graduated form the school there a bright young woman hungry for the Lord.
                              I have seen the faces of these kids at my anual 4th of July BBQ or when I am on the Pinehave Ranch, which I am a frequent visitor and have seen these kids transformed into bright, smart and respectful adults. Don't fall into the negitive stories, I suggest anyone who reads this to go there and ask some of the kids how they like it there, Look at the school and see what these kids do to learn to be productive adults. Ken Scott
                            Neet94 1p  · 4 weeks ago
                              One person stated on here that if the person before them was a parent of a mentally challenged or physically challenged child or had to care for one then they would understand more how these parents could send their children so far away. Well, I read some more about this ranch and camp and nowhere did I read that it was for these kind of problem children. It seemed to me to be more of a behavioral problem child. Correct me if I'm wrong. I help my mother take care of my nephew who has diabetes, cebral palsy, bipolar, schizophrenic, mental retardation and obsessive-compulsive disorder so we have to hide anything that he desires unless it is something we don't care about . It is very challenging because unlike a (troubled teen) "Johnny" doesn't even understand nor can help it. In saying that, I don't think this ranch should not be too hard on these kids because they do understand and are capable of changing unless they feel trapped or that they feel its hopeless, because then they will bolt. Just my opinion..thanks for listening...God Bless!

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                            One of the missing Pinehaven teens found alive...
                            « Reply #26 on: September 14, 2010, 12:30:48 PM »

WTHITV.com
                            One of the missing Pinehaven teens found alive and is at home with family

Updated: Saturday, 07 Aug 2010, 11:20 PM EDT
                            Published : Saturday, 07 Aug 2010, 7:08 PM EDT

Tom Brodbeck

Adam Irwin

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - According to Bob Larsson, the director of Pinehaven Children's Christian Ranch in Montana, one of the missing teens from the Pinehaven ranch, Adam Irwin, has been found alive and is at home with his family in Normal, Illinois. News 10 has also contacted the family and they say he is at home with family.

Larsson said that Irwin was found by the Kallispel Police and was returned to Pinehaven for one night and was then flown back home the next day.

Irwin was originally caught by police on Wednesday in Kalispell, Montana, several miles north of where he ran away during a camping trip.

However, police said shortly after they caught Irwin, he took off again on his way to juvenile court.

When Irwin was asked why he ran away, Larsson said that he said he was “homesick.”

News 10 will keep you up to date on the other missing teens from the Ranch.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                            Comments: "One of the missing Pinehaven teens found..."
                            « Reply #27 on: September 14, 2010, 12:35:46 PM »
                            Comments left for the above article, "One of the missing Pinehaven teens found alive and is at home with family" (by Tom Brodbeck, 07 Aug 2010, WTHItv.com):

Qhoeleth 20p  · 5 weeks ago
                              So glad he was found and returned home
                                I, too, am glad he is home.
                                But what most people do not understand is the purpose of Pinehaven ranch.
                                Children are sent there by parents. They have to ask tyhe director of Pinehaven to come and take their children there. Most of these children are having disiplinary problems, very rebellious, and are doing things that will eventually cause them to end up in the court system. They can have a very good life at Pinehaven ranch if they so choose. They are taught skills that they can use when they get older. They are given structure, kindness, positive attention, even love. They are rewarded for their good behavior with weiner roasts, picnics, and so many other good things. They are fed well and have nice clothes and shoes. And they go to school on the ranch and graduate with a high school diploma. I know all this because my church and many other churches support Pnehaven ranch.
                                anonymous1709 23p  · 4 weeks ago
                                  I was there for four years. We NEVER had a weiner roast, or a picnic, or anything of that nature. We were fed well when we were not in trouble, but food was commonly taken away as a form of punishment. We have to graduate... that is the only way we get out of there. Please do not be fooled by a presentaion Bob showed your church. Alot of children do go there for disciplinary reasons, but not all of us. Some came there because their family situation was not the greatest and they were hoping to find refuge at the ranch. Most of us left with more problems than we ever had coming to the ranch. I encourage you to read our discussion board on Facebook...
                                http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid...
                                that way you can get the whole story... Not just a slideshow of children who were threatened the loss of contact with their family if they didn't smile... please join our discussion... I would like to hear your thoughts and would be more than happy to answer any questions...[/list]
                                    I am truly sorry for your situation. But it sounds as if you have a lot of pent up aggression toward authority.
                                    I know several people --- friends of mine --- who have visited the ranch. Tney had nothing but good things to say. No one knew they were going to the ranch.
                                    ?
                                    In your case Pinehaven?kept you off the streets and kept you from going hungry and kept you from getting in trouble and going to jail.
                                    ?
                                    If I'm wrong about the statement? about agression against authority, I appologize.?
                                    ?
                                    I look forward to hearing from you again. I can't visit you on facebook because I don't have an account.
                                    ?

?
                                      thank you for responding! Even if we disagree, its nice to talk to someone who is level-headed. I do not have aggression towards them at all. I did not go there because of a family situation, I had a serious attitude problem. I do believe that they taught me a measure of respect for authority that i did not have prior to my coming there. Unfortunately, I witnessed alot of abuse while I was there... Mental, physical, emotional and, yes, even sexual.

A teacher there went to prison after raping two of the girls there. I have seen kids thrown down the stairs, choked, punched... There was a pregnant girl that was dragged down the hill by four of the staff because she refused to run. There was the boy who ran away and was found dead three months later in the owner's trailor (his records were sealed so we can't get it investigated anymore???) Discipline is necessary... but the things I just listed are not proper discipline... it's abuse.
                                        It's so difficult for me?to absorb this as truth. But I'm not going to question your word. If all of this has happened in the name of God, it's wrong. I don't know whether or not you beleive in God. I do. And God is a just God. Bad things that are done in His name and those doing bad things in His name?have bad consequences!?
                                        ?
                                        I am so sorry for all the bad?things you had to see and experience in your stay at Pinehaven.
                                        ?
                                        Who owned the trailor?where the dead boy's body was found?
                                        ?
                                        Your so right about the things you discribed as being abuse.?My husband and his sister?were abused when?they were children. Luckily they were not sexually abused. But at the time they went through all their abuse, there were no laws to protect them.
                                        ?
                                        I don't know how old you are now, whether you are male or female. I just hope and pray that you are doing okay now.
                                        ?
                                        I want to thank you for sending your reply to me. And I hope you continue to write me.
                                        ??

?
                                          To answer your questions... Andy Larsson, Bob Larsson's son. The boy was found in Andy's trailor. Andy has recently stepped down due to his 2 yr affair being exposed. I am 23 now, female... I am wonderful! I had a few rough years after I left Pinehaven, just because I was not prepared to enter "the real world", but once I figured things out, I started doing alot better. I do firmly believe in God... I'm glad we have that in common! He has carried me through the situations that brought me to Pinehaven as well as the things I went through while I was there... And I strongly believe He has put me in a position now to protect other children from simlar situations... He IS a just God... He seems to be sick of people doing evil things in His name and is putting an end to it now... Deaf ears are listening, blind eyes are seeing, and God is going to save those kids through the voice of His children who have escaped... Feel free to email me... [email protected]... I will try to forward you some info that way if you are interested...
                                        [/list][/list]
                                          When visitors come to the ranch, the children that are in the most trouble are hidden. What the visitors see when they come to help us for a week is not the typical day to day routine... In fact, we look forward to your visits because the house parents are alot nicer when you're there. If they acted like that when you all were not there, there would not be a problem. Alot of people have not believed us in the past because of Bob's slide shows and the visits to the ranch... Fact is, if the ranch was what he tries to tell everyone it is, there would not be so many children from different years saying the opposite. Furthermore, the children who graduated from there who disagree would certainly have stepped up by now and voiced their opinion. There is not one person who used to live there who has come forward and said we are lying. All these kids Mr. Larsson is claiming he "helped" are no where to be found. We do not intend to say that nothing good comes out of the ranch. I learned many things there that I would not have ever learned had I not gone there. That just does not justify the wrong-doings.
                                          All of what I learned could have been taught with love, compassion, patience, and sensitivity (knowing that I came from a broken home, they could definitely have been gentle with their approach and showed me what a true family is supposed to look like). I can honestly say that, from my experience, as well as others I have talked to, I left Pinehaven with more problems than I ever had coming there.
                                        [/list][/list][/list][/list]

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                                        Missing Olney teen found in Montana
                                        « Reply #28 on: September 14, 2010, 11:58:55 PM »
                                          News 10 also spoke with Salyers himself on the phone. He said he was homesick, but that there were other reasons for leaving. He said he didn't want to comment until he talks to his mom about everything.[/list]
                                          I can only imagine what those "other reasons" might be...  

Two pieces of video news footage at the link:

Missing Olney teen found in Montana
                                          Wabash Valley teens runaway from Pinehaven

Updated: Tuesday, 10 Aug 2010, 11:48 PM EDT
                                          Published : Tuesday, 10 Aug 2010, 5:13 PM EDT

Kate Greene

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - News 10 has just learned that 16-year-old Chance Salyers of Olney, Illinois is now with his mother Rhonda Morris in Montana.

Morris spoke with News 10 via the phone on Tuesday and said Salyers called her to come pick him up in Kalispell, Montana.

News 10 also spoke with Salyers himself on the phone. He said he was homesick, but that there were other reasons for leaving. He said he didn't want to comment until he talks to his mom about everything.

This comes just a few days after 17-year-old Adam Irwin was caught by police in Kalispell.

Both boys had been living at Pinehaven Children's Christian Ranch in St. Ignatius, Montana for about a year. It's a ranch for troubled teens.

Irwin and Salyers ran off from a camp site 65 miles north of the ranch on July 15.

News 10 spoke with Irwin's grandfather Douglas Irwin who said the ranch is doing good things for teens. Irwin said Adam claimed he was homesick and that's the reason he left.

"Most of time I thought he was really happy out there, at least his comments sure was," Adam Irwin's grandfather Douglas Irwin said. "In some ways he would like to be back there but in other ways he's very glad to be home."

The other two Wabash Valley teens,14-year-old Cody Thompson of Olney, Illinois and 15 year-old Thom Morson of Terre Haute remain missing. They ran away together from the ranch on July 26.

News 10 asked Chance Salyers if he had seen either boy or knew of their whereabouts. He said he did look for the boys in Kalispell once he heard they went missing, but never saw them.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                                          Last two missing teens found in Montana
                                          « Reply #29 on: September 15, 2010, 10:52:06 AM »
                                          Video news footage at the link...

Last two missing teens found in Montana
                                          Valley teens went missing from Pinehaven ranch

Updated: Tuesday, 17 Aug 2010, 2:37 PM EDT
                                          Published : Monday, 16 Aug 2010, 2:51 PM EDT

Kate Greene

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - Fourteen-year-old Cody Thompson of Olney, Illinois and 15-year-old Thom Morson of Terre Haute were both found in Missoula, Montana.

Both boys went missing on July 26 in St. Ignatius, Montana at the Pinehaven Children's Christian Ranch for troubled teens.

Thompson and Morson were found after Thompson's mother Laraine Cornwell put flyers of her missing son in Montana. Cornwell told News 10 her prayers were answered when someone recognized his picture.

"I got a call from a lady later that morning and she said I know where your son is," Laraine Cornwell said.

Cody Thompson now sits with his mother, happy to be back home in Olney, Illinois. However, he said when he and Thom took off from Pinehaven ranch he was feeling very differently.

"That day, we were pretty depressed," Cody Thompson said.

Thompson and Morson ran away just 10 days after two other teens 16-year-old Chance Salyers of Olney, Illinois and 17-year-old Adam Irvin ran of Normal, Illinois way from a church camp about 65 miles north of the ranch on July 15. Salyers and Irvin were found in Kalispell, Montana last week.

What made Thompson run away?

Ever since News 10 aired the story about 4 Wabash Valley boys leaving Pinehaven, allegations of child abuse came into our newsroom and on social networking sites.

Thompson said he was never physically abused and never witnessed it, but he did hear about it.

"I heard about a bunch of stories about house kids having fist fights with their house parents," Thompson said. "As he was telling me, my house brothers tell me they saw it."

As for Thompson, he said Pinehaven was hard work, but it was more emotionall draining.

"It was hard because everyday I had to wake up and call someone else mom and dad," Thompson said. "I was told to call them mom and dad, I didn't have a choice, it was depressing."

Thompson said he did learn things from Pinehaven.

"I learned how to be respectful, and treat people right and change my ways and learn about God," Thompson said.

Thompson goes to court on Friday for violating probation. According to his mother, staying at Pinehaven was part of his court order.

His mother, Laraine said she wants to see that Pinehaven is regulated by the state.

According to Montana state law, alternative schools with a religious affiliate, like Pinehaven, are not monitored by the state.

As of right now, News 10 has been told none of the boys will return to the ranch.

To read a letter from Thom Morson's grandfather about Pinehaven, click here.