Author Topic: Huron email address  (Read 1309 times)

Offline Carey

• View Profile
Huron email address
« on: October 06, 2003, 07:38:00 PM »
Could someone give me the correct email address for the Huron contact.  I have some things I would like to share with them.

Sue, Jeff, Karen could one of you forward it to me please.  I think they need to hear everything and not just bits and pieces of what is true and what is not.

You can just post it here, no need to have any personal contact.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Carey

• View Profile
Huron email address
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2003, 08:19:00 PM »
Does anyone else have the Huron email address.  I know it was posted somewhere on this site.  I would appreciate it if someone would post it again so that I don't have to keep searching for it.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Huron email address
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2003, 09:14:00 PM »
:smokin:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Huron email address
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2003, 09:40:00 PM »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Huron email address
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2003, 09:45:00 PM »
for what it's worth it took all of 25 seconds to find the info you were in search.  so much for all of your honesty crap...keep beating the band.

Richard Wilf
Huron Law Group
1801 Century Park East # 480
Los Angeles, CA 90067
310-284-3400
[email protected]

Offline Carey

• View Profile
Huron email address
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2003, 10:21:00 PM »
Thanks for saving me the trouble.  Whats not honest about that?

You know what, for all its worth, it appears that everything I have said from the very beginning about Dundee has come full circle.  Not only does the media  validate what I have said but so does Costa Rica's PANI, Minister of Public Health, Minister of Public Education, General Director of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse and Casa Alianza.  Everything I have said from my very first letter about Dundee that I posted has been restated by these institutions.  

The point I am trying to make is that it is not necessary to add to the reality of these programs to see that what they are doing is wrong.  It does not take accusations blown out of proportion to make a difference.  It takes people who care and want proof beyond a doubt that their children are in good hands.   I know a lot of parents have said that Su Flowers is crazy just as they have said that I was crazy.  You know what in some ways I agree.  Going through something like she and I went through will make you a little crazy.  I think the difference for us is that others were controlling the situation for our children, our ex's that is, whereas most of the other parents I have come in contact with were always in control of their childs situation, they were just negligent with regard to their child.   Su and I are driven by our internal motherly instinct in which we want real tangible proof all is well.  Well it took us two moms, Su and I,  who happen to be "crazy" about our kids to make a difference.  This is not to say there were not others who contributed, but none the less, Dundee would be chugging right along had we not done what we did.  

This was my letter and this is exactly what the various ministries in Costa Rica have found to have been wrong at Dundee.

Why I Believe Dundee Ranch Academy was the Wrong School for My Twin Boys

Carey Bock
Mandeville, Louisiana
985-626-7488
January 26, 2003

Before I explain why Dundee Ranch Academy was the wrong school for my boys let me say that I am not in denial of the fact that my boys did need help and I am not in denial as to the fact that they still do today.

Here is my experience with Dundee and why I felt the need to pull my boys from this "program."
When I found out my boys were sent to Dundee Ranch Academy in Costa Rica I was concerned. I began to do some independent information gathering. I wanted to make an informed decision as to whether or not I was in an agreement with the program chosen and be sure that it had the resources necessary to help my boys. I first began reviewing the information provided on the internet website for the WWASP schools and the website for Dundee itself. I followed that up by directly contacting the school. I emailed the director asking him to provide me with information on the school's employees. I wanted to know things like: where they had worked previously, how long they had worked with teens in crisis, how they were trained, what their specific credentials were and whether they did criminal background checks on all individuals who had contact with the teens. (The school does credit checks on the parents, why should I not be able to have criminal background checks done on the employees?) The reply that I received back from the director at Dundee, Joe, was that he did not have time to provide me with that information. He suggested that I look again at Dundee's website. I explained to him that I needed information, and not just boiler plate information, but specific information on the individuals who worked with the boys on a day to day basis and who were responsible for their well-being. I believe as a parent it was not only my right to have access to this information but my responsibility. Needless to say, after many requests, I was never provided with any information from Joe.

I then heard a story about a very serious incident that occurred at Dundee. I heard that as a result of the incident there were employees who had been fired. I emailed Joe, the director, and Ken Kay to see if they could either confirm the incident or deny it. I asked them why certain employees were not longer employed by Dundee. Neither one would address my question. Why? Don't parents have a right to know? If there is an explanation why would they not be willing to provide it?

The next thing I did was to have my attorney get me a copy of the enrollment agreement that had been signed. The first thing that I noticed that did not seem right was that the cover page of the enrollment agreement stated that "if joint custody both parents must sign." Well my case is and was a joint custody case and yet I never signed anything. I had never even seen the agreement. Anyway, I began to read over it. What I gathered from reading the contract was that it was written to protect the school and all affiliates and not the teens. I decided to have it looked at by a licensed clinical social worker. I wanted the opinion of a professional. I took it to an individual who has worked with Boys Town for over 10 years. This individual has had experience working with at risk teens and the credentials necessary for providing a professional opinion. This is what was pointed out by this professional:

1) By signing the agreement parents are signing over their right to what is known as in the States as "informed consent." (The right to be informed about all decisions relating to your child.)
     2) The staff employed by Dundee are not professionals. These individuals who are responsible for the health and well-being of the children do not have to be qualified, trained or certified to provide the types of services that at risk teens need.
     3) Teens were allowed to punish other teens. (Are these teens emotionally stable enough to punish other teens at lower levels? If so why are they still in the program? Wouldn't they or shouldn't they be able to go home if they are at a stage where they are emotionally stable enough to determine what is right or wrong for another student? Or, could it be that the students at higher level are cheap labor for the school?)
     4) The school is not licensed or regulated by any outside agency that has the ability/power to monitor the methods and techniques that are being used in the school. (That will likely change now that the local authorities know that the school is there and that there are children there.)

There were many other red flags noted in the enrollment agreement. These were the ones that were the most concerning for me.

Children have to be protected. Information is vital for making informed decisions. They should never be isolated and not allowed to contact their parents. Even if they are the "manipulators" the school claims them to be. I would think that the very parents who lived with them for the first 12-18 years of their lives would be able to determine whether or not their child is being manipulative. There is nothing more important than communication between parent and child, direct open communication that is uncensored. If my child wants to vent or complain, then let them do that, I am an adult and I will decide whether or not it is something I need to be concerned with. I do not need someone who is 26 years old with degree in economics who has never had kids of his own telling me that my kids are manipulating me and that I should not have contact with them.

Carey

:grin:

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Huron email address
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2003, 08:17:00 PM »
They should never be isolated and not allowed to contact their parents. Even if they are the "manipulators" the school claims them to be.  There is nothing more important than communication between parent and child, direct open communication that is uncensored. If my child wants to vent or complain, then let them do that, I am an adult and I will decide whether or not it is something I need to be concerned with. I do not need someone who is 26 years old with degree in economics who has never had kids of his own telling me that my kids are manipulating me and that I should not have contact with them.

Right. I told the head of counseling that I did not want my calls monitored, that I knew what manipulation was and was fully capable of dealing with it. And, that I didn't expect it to be an issue. Didn't matter.

I think it has more to do with keeping the kids ($$$$$) there and ensuring the brainwashing technique will be most effective. And for ease. It's not easy or enjoyable to lie on a daily basis, even for those who have little or not scruples. The "manipulation" excuse and termination of calls seems to free them of this discomfort and/or having to explain why Johnny was restrained when the parent manual states they do not use restraint.

Anger, venting, indignation are all attemts to maintain one's dignity and sanity under austure and abusive conditions. Like fight or flight. By preventing the teen from fighting for themselves, they further weaken their will and spirit. Further convince the teen that the "staff" is the ultimate authority in their lives and have complete control. It's really quiet sick.
If there is one person they can vent to who validates the inappropriate "treatment", the brainwashing would not be effective, or AS effective.

Anytime our conversation was getting anywhere close to being real, the "counselor" would interrupt and suggest my son talk about something else. The group "issue" for the week, blah, blah, blah. Anything except how he felt or what was really happening, how he spent his days, etc. And everytime I would ask him not to interrupt or dictate how we spent our lousy 15 minutes per week.

Every week I reminded my son that it was a temporary situation, encouraged him to remember what was real, and how to vent his anger effectively, etc. Staff never terminated a call but rarely did I get my weekly call during the last 6 months. Ironically, their phone lines were down every Thursday, or my son was on a "field trip" or "they called and no one answered". Bullshit. I had an answering machine. They couldn't legally sever communication, so they did it underhandedly.

Further, they would not reschedule "missed" calls AND calls had to be placed during business hours, no evenings or weekends. Fortunately I was self-employed and could work around the challenges they constructed. I don't know if this was true for all parents or just me. Had I not been, I couldn't imagine applying for a job and telling my prospective employer that I would have to have a 20 minute break every Thur at 3:30 to talk to my son. How would that fly?

So much for honesty. They weren't about honesty and trust. They were all about manipulation. Do as I say, not as I do. Double standards. They felt like programmed robots.

Then, there were the times that staff "mistakenly" used my LD card to call other parents. No "consequences" for them or refund for me. It was the Nightmare From Hell.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Carey

• View Profile
Huron email address
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2003, 09:08:00 PM »
Deborah, believe me when I say, I know how you feel!  It hurts so bad inside, even still today.

What makes it so much more painful for my boys is the fact that their dad to this day does not have any contact with them.  You know, even if he truely believes that what he did was in their best interest, then why does he have no relationship with them today?  They would give anything just for a phone call.  But no, he does not even bother to give them that.   My boys originally believed that what he did he did because he cared.  They knew they were getting into trouble, not serious trouble, but minor trouble.  They love to surf.  So he told them he was taking them to a great boarding school near the beach in Costa Rica.  They were led to believe it was a typical boarding school with a great academic program, sports program and truely a cultural enriching experience.  They had no idea what was in store for them.  They also believed that their dad had no idea what was in store for them.  They dont believe that anymore. We have found that is quite the contrary.  He knew to some degree what the place was like.  I am just not sure to what to degree.  They now know the truth and that makes the pain that much harder to bare.

Anyway Deborah, I can feel the pain.