Author Topic: Cinnamon Hills  (Read 7553 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Cinnamon Hills and the Ambassador Inn
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2009, 05:52:47 PM »
Jolene, thanks for stopping by and sharing some of your story!

Lemme ask you something, is there anything you can tell me about the Ambassador Inn, located at 1481 S Sundland Dr, St. George UT 84770? Isn't this also owned by Cinnamon Hills? Maybe a fair number of those alleged 195 staff members are actually employees of the Ambassador Inn, lol...

Speaking of which, I've sniffed out an intimation that students/clients at Cinnamon Hills may be pressed into service at the Ambassador Inn. Do you know if there's any truth to that rumor?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Cinnamon Hills
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2009, 06:09:24 PM »
Are you friggen kidding me? Srsly someone should sue. If i wasnt 28 and long past my year there i would definitely be at the forefront of ANY lawsuit.  Let me break it down for you.

Academics
Upon admission students receive the Woodstock/Johnson assessment. With these test results certified teachers prepare a Student Education Plan designed to improve academic deficiencies. Students can also complete the requirements for a G.E.D. High School Diploma equivalency.

ME: There was NOT a way to complete school here AT ALL unless you were all star NO ONE except a select few meaning 3-4 sometimes 5-6 girls will ever make it at one time. PERIOD> You CANNOT and WILL not get to the point were you are ALLOWED to graduate from school.

Program Structure
Cinnamon Hills utilizes "Eyeball Supervision," meaning that the youth are under direct observation by staff at all times. Staff supervise all activities to ensure that youths' behavior is under control and that the environment is safe for students and staff.

ME: They also utilize STRIP SEARCH, BELT STATUS, ARM BAR, CHICKEN WINGS, and numerous other forms of ABUSE that any parent would go to jail for.  "eyeball" supervision is not a guarantee of anything!

Vocational/Life Skills
The vocational program helps students gain skills to prepare for the future. Students are taught specific skills to give them the experience necessary to lead a productive life. The vocational program will help them develop a feeling of personal self worth and achievement as they participate in vocational training.

Me: I was NEVER taught any life skills except how to mentally survive a place where anything goes and i am helpless in every way to stop it. I learned how to deal with depression on the inside. I learned not to trust people in a position of power, i learned how hoard food in the seams of my underwear and shoes. I learned how to survive alright. Survive the hell i was in.

Documentation and Reporting
Cinnamon Hills follows Utah State Licensing and Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) standards of documentation, following all guidelines and confidentiality requirements. Comprehensive reports are sent to all parties involved in the treatment process.

ME:  Really? No one EVER came to talk to us. We had to wash all our clothes in old broken washers when they didnt dry we were still made to fold them and put them away wet so that they would mildew then we were made to buy new ones with our "earned money credits" We had to BUY sanitation napkin or borrow from other girls who had some. I know several people who had no money and had to roll up toilet paper, Myself included.  We were NOT allowed to use tampons as they were seen as sexual objects by the staff. The rooms where disgusting the floors had mold and germs that we were forced to sit on it was sticky and many people ended up with foot fungus.

Recreation
Youth enjoy recreational activities as well as daily aerobics and calisthenics, according to their physical capabilities. Recreational activities include swimming, bowling, movies, board and video games, basketball, etc.

ME: This was the real shocker... we ENJOYED this? HELL NO> daily exercise consisted of running or stand in place movement. PERIOD. there was NO other exercise. The all stars mostly lead the activities and the staff implemented "games" For instance when one girl couldnt hold her position. We would all start over or have to hold our leggs or arms double. We NEVER got a break it was GOGOGOGOGGO non stop for an hour. Then they said "free time"! walk it off.... so we would walk for 15 min of free time and then go back to our stations.  The pool was GREEN more often than naught. We only used it 2 times in my 11 months there. We ONLY got movies on the weekends IF we had not received IR's (incident reports) for even minor things like. Leaving your bath products in the bathroom. Or not making your bed right. Or not tucking your shirt in.

Therapy
Youth are involved in individual, group, and family telephone therapy each week. The therapist will address the issues the youth has been experiencing personally and within his or her family and community, help the youth build strength and confidence in areas of weakness, and to prepare the youth for family reunification.

Me: This has got to be the biggest FUCKING (yes i said it) Joke in the whole spiel. There is NO therapy that can help me overcome the crap that was forced down my throat as truth from these "therapists" Supposedly i was a  nymphomaniac at 15, (resulting from a rape) i have split personality disorder. I am co dependent and Emotionally closed. I am a sociopath, i needed intense behavior modification, i was bi-polar, (? wth?) I was a kleptomaniac ect.. the list literally goes on and on. I was diagnosed with over 60 different personality disorders as well as behavioral issues. NONE of which i experienced well.. ever.  Non of which EVER have been even alluded to since i left that hell hole. I was made to recount my molestation IN DETAIL in GROUP i was made to recount my RAPE and what I could have done differently. I was made to wear a sign around my neck. listing issues my thearpist decided was my current crisis needing intervention. The group was then asked to "help me" with whatever issue it was that i was working on. By being hurtful and degrading and pointing out that i had other "mental disabilities" that could have led to certain situations in the first place.  I am something. I AM A SURVIVOR.

Group Living
The living environment is structured to be safe from self-harm and harm from other students. Cinnamon Hills utilizes "Eyeball Supervision" meaning that the youth are under the direct observation by staff at all times. Yet Cinnamon Hills staff are supportive and are sensitive to the problems of individual youth.

ME: We had 3 attempted suicides from CH. I cant remember the names now but i do have pics of the girls. Veronica Moreno was one. Another was a blond girl who slit her wirsts with a broken light bulb in the middle of the night. The last i dont remember clearly enough to state any fact about it. I wouldnt want to be misleading. The staff could care less about the girls there. We are nothing to them. I was on belt status and made to eat last. I was degraded and humiliated daily for so many things. The way my clothes fit. The way we smelled. The way we sat, the way we slept (snoring) you name it we were made fun of and humiliated. We were forced to watch staff eat in front of us. Really good food like burgers and fries. We where made to sit on the floor and "catch" fried in our mouth like dogs one time. I was made to "sing" by barking. I was forced to tuck in my shirt with pants that were to big and then i was made fun of by staff telling me in front of the boys i should lay of the snacks. WHAT FRIGGEN SNACKS!? We barley got food! God forbid we would be the last group of kids to eat. Or that we would get there after the last of the cereal was gone in the morning and would have to eat hard "biscuit" with jelly. The other food was just as bad. Almost literally inedible. We were forced to eat our food till we threw up people who were vegetarian like me were forced to eat meat every meal. in SOME form or another whether it was processed spam in a can or "glucose Grissel nuggets" The staff dont give a crap about being sensitive. Onaray once asked me "who would WANT to rape you"... when i cried she gave me an IR for being disruptive in class. I dont even want to get into the Becky event.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Cinnamon Hills and the Ambassador Inn
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2009, 06:21:23 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"

Lemme ask you something, is there anything you can tell me about the Ambassador Inn, located at 1481 S Sundland Dr, St. George UT 84770? Isn't this also owned by Cinnamon Hills? Maybe a fair number of those alleged 195 staff members are actually employees of the Ambassador Inn, lol...

Speaking of which, I've sniffed out an intimation that students/clients at Cinnamon Hills may be pressed into service at the Ambassador Inn. Do you know if there's any truth to that rumor?

As far as i know there is several places that are owned by cinnamon hills. The only one that is NOT is the place across the street. I know that some of the staff who were decent people and couldn't live with the corrupt system that CH had went over there. I heard it was an ok program However i have never been there. I would NEVER send on  of my children ( i am a married mother of 4, married almost 10 years!) to ANY place i had not FULLY investigated. And even then i would want to be in EVERY aspect of any "treatment" being pursued. PERIOD.  :'(

Here is a link to the CIty counsel telling Cinnamon hills they MUST remove thier "treatment center sign" since it makes the town look bad and that "jack" needs to stop trying to get around red tape for ... well. everything. Buying up all properties around the block to expand the facility having way to many students and over crowding ect ect the list goes on. Apparently the City counsel doesnt approve of the place either. For one reason or another.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2009, 06:28:29 PM »

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2009, 06:39:13 PM »
Quote from: "gOING DOWN THE LIST."
Let me break it down for you.
You sure as hell did, and thank you for it.
I was degraded and humiliated daily for so many things..
I'm so damn sick of wondering about the why's of these sick freaks perpetrating this filth and filth like it on captives in their "care".
WTF? Is it so fucking hard to be a decent human being ?

I am something. I AM A SURVIVOR.
Hell yes you are.
 :rose:
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline AuntieEm2

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2009, 06:47:49 PM »
Going down the list,

Absolutely no one deserves to be treated this way, especially not a child. My heart goes out to you.

Auntie Em
Tough love is a hate group.
"I have sworn...eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2009, 12:09:16 AM »
What Paulu have not found so far, was myspace / facebook groups for survivors. Now there are even groups for survivors of High Impact and it helps the survivors and former victims to locate long lost friends, who knows what they have been through. I am sitting here in Denmark and I don't know, so I can really not help in the right way.

But if the survivors created these groups, then they can find people from back then and perhaps get some answers to issues that have bothered them.  It is not about forgiveness. It is about confirming that it was not just something they made up in their minds.

We can offer to list them on the wiki datasheet. This place has managed to fly under the radar for some time. We have only been able to find some of the articles about staff sleeping with the detained teenagers and these relationships are unfortunaly not that uncommon so it makes the facility special.

Please create the groups.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2009, 02:01:51 AM »
SURVIVOR REPORT #1

By Jolene M.  (You may e-mail questions for Jolene by clicking here.  *Abusive/Offensive Messages will NOT be FWD'd.)

Hello my name is Jolene Morgan, my statements are true and correct. I give HEAL full permission to use the statement as follows:

First of all I would like to say that I am now 25 yrs old.  A MARRIED mother of 3 beautiful wonderful little boys. I have NEVER used drugs or alcohol even now. What is done is done, and in the past I am writing as part of a healing process since there was never real closure when I left I never got to voice my opinions or feelings or thoughts and now it is my turn as an adult to let them know the damage that they caused to so many I choose not to continue to be a victim I hope you choose the same for your child.

I "lived" at Cinnamon Hills for 11 months in 98-99. The abuse that was suffered by several people myself included is beyond belief in some cases,

There are so many instances of abuse that it's hard to keep an accurate account for all of them for after awhile they all seemed to blend together in a monotony of repetition. Several occasions I can recall are:

1.) One night in the beginning of December, 4 girls (I will not say who) were made to strip down to their underwear and lay face down on the cold floor. While the "staff" opened all windows and doors to let in the "night breeze". They sat there till almost 4 in the morning the next day they were not allowed breakfast or lunch. Their crime?? Talking after bedtime

2.) Two girls were taken to the gym and told to stand against a wall while the "staff" threw basketballs at them if they moved they where made to run 2 laps around the gym. Then were put back in their place. One of them happened to be my roommate when she came in  (at 5 in the morning) she had a bloody nose and was crying. They told her unless she wanted to do it again tomorrow she had better shut up and go to sleep. She then over slept by 10 minutes and was jerked out of bed and made to stand on her tip toes in the corner until we were all dressed to go to breakfast. Then she was lead to the sink and made to brush her teeth over and over until we came back from breakfast. Her offence?? Saying she was tired of looking like a hick with the wrangler jeans and prison shirts. She wanted her clothes. Her and her friend then were talking about their favorite outfits they had at home and it was considered "war stories"  

3.) One girl was constantly harassed by the "staff" about her weight (given she weighed almost 400 lbs) they would say thing like  *Becky you eat last, we have to make sure there is some for everyone else sometimes they wouldn't even let her go to lunch making her stay in the g2 girls unit (lowest rooms) and do school work. Then they would bring her back HALF of what we got and tell her to not complain they were doing her a favor. I will NEVER forget the time ONARAY (a staff member) said "you fat, tub of lard bitch you stink go wash your cooch before I hose you down myself".... we all sat in stunned silence as Becky got up and went to the bathroom while Onaray WATCHED to make sure she scrubbed her privates.

4.) Of course there were the favorites of the treatment center, the ONLY ones allowed to make it to all star (top rank of CH) I think we only had 5 at one time out of 40-60 girls or more. If you stepped out of line for even a second you were quickly "narked on" by these girls not that they were to blame what little privileges they were given would have been stripped if they were even in the same room with the offender and did not say anything to a staff member about the alleged crime there were several instances where people did it just to be vindictive and powerful. (erhmmm APRIL)  

5.) I was accused of a "runaway" plan with 2 of my friends it was true enough we had talked about it BUT they claimed to have evidence (which we were never allowed to see) they claimed that it was found during a "raid" of our room though none of us to this day had any evidence at all written down it was all in our mind. I was told that I flushed the rough draft down the toilet and was made to sit with my head in the ring for 4 hours the whole time denying the offence when I wouldn't give in they brought in April (an ALL STAR) who then claimed that she SAW me throw it in the toilet (a total impossibility since there is only barley room for one in there and I ALWAYS had the bathroom door closed for what little privacy I could get) not to mention the event never occurred in the first place. She swore up and down and that's all they needed to punish me. Me and the 2 other girls were then put on "belt status" where we were led around the complex at ALL times buy an extended belt I was actually humiliated in front of the boys in our choir performance when the "staffer" Erin made me bark the whole first chorus to colors of the wind.

6.) I was never allowed visits from my family ONLY All Star and G1 girls had that privilege though I made it to g1 status there were "hidden" ranks within the ranks. The ones who did make it either KNEW they would never get a family visit since they would never be an All Star or knew they could kiss enough rear end to get maybe just one.  I only got to G1 (still on belt status) for my personally damaging very detailed speech I had to give on my rape when I was 15 yrs old. My therapist at the time was Garcia. (He has since died) said I had to include all details and then made me read it over and over to him every session he also hung a sign around the necks of his girls with their "problems" several "problems" he claimed I suffered from a combination of the following: Emotionally unstable, Borderline personality traits, Sociopath, Chronic liar and Attention seeker as well as Sexually confused and Nymphomaniac. Well when I came home all of these traits and problems seemed to disappear. I have not once had an issue with any of these (now or before or ever.)

7.) On Christmas day there were supposed to be enough presents for all of us (2 each) but when we got to the gym to open them 2 people were presentless they were told Santa said maybe next year so as a joke a staff member went out and wrapped tampons and pads and some soap and gave it to the girls while others got camera's walkmans and batteries for our rec time (2 hours on Friday night IF you had no incident reports) and of course almost everyone had at least 1. The presents where not to be used traded or otherwise handled w/o permission. We then went back to our rooms and went to bed.

Life was very hard there among other things there were fights among the girls and humiliating confrontations with staff and don't even get me started on swimming in the green pool. I find it exhausting to complain anymore about people I don't find worth my time. But I wrote this all out for you guys hopefully you will see the truth and stop them before any more people get abused unnecessarily.

8.) When I first got there they ONLY had Samoan people as staff... gradually we got white black and Hispanic staffers. But it was only after we made complaints daily if the abuse some days we were actually sat on for talking back and these people were not light in the smallest since. People were made to hold their legs straight out for hours at a time anytime someone would mess up everyone started over we were not allowed to sing or would have our mouths washed out with soap we were not allowed to talk to our families if we did not give a full list of the things we could and could not talk about BEFORE we were allowed to use the phone. We were allowed 10 minute calls and ONLY our parents were allowed to talk to us if there was a person change even if it was not our fault we were restricted from phone usage indefinitely.  

People that had no history of drug or alcohol abuse were still made to participate in AA and NA meetings and told to associate their lives with the meetings basically find SOMETHING wrong with yourself and point it out to the group for evaluation and "help" again as I said there was so much abuse its hard to talk about it all these are things that just stick out from memory.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2009, 10:52:18 AM »
Sounds actually a lot like Benchmark.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2009, 10:57:19 AM »
Quote from: "psy"
Sounds actually a lot like Benchmark.

Well... one thing they do have in common is what appears to be a vested interest in the hotel industry!  :D

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Cinnamon Hills: Family Reunification
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2009, 07:29:25 PM »
Here's some more material from their website that I didn't get around to posting earlier...

—•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•—

Family Reunification

Reunification and Family Involvement

Parents or guardians will receive written reports concerning the progress of their child from the student's case manager.

Telephone therapy sessions involving the parents or guardian and student will be arranged by the student's case manager and conducted by the student's therapist in a partnership arrangement with the parents or guardians.

These sessions are for the purpose of involving the parents in the assessment of the family reunification needs; to set goals and objectives to meet those needs; and to address those needs during the duration of the student's treatment experience in preparation for their return to the family.

Family Reunification Workshops are designed to address the issues which have been hindering family happiness, peace, and unity, and for the parent/guardian and student to learn new skills which help build a healthy and supportive family system. These workshops are held quarterly at Cinnamon Hills and include:

• Educational discussion groups involving all participating students and their families.
  • Discussion groups for all participating parents.
  • Sessions between parent(s) of a student and his/her therapist.
  • Family Therapy sessions for each individual family

Family Workshops

The process of change for students is a difficult one, yet success can be achieved when the student has the participation and support of the parents/guardian during the Cinnamon Hills experience. The Family Workshop will:

Foster feelings of hope for the future by:

• Educating the family about the self-defeating behavior patterns associated with addiction and conduct disordered behaviors.
  • Understanding and coping with mental health issues.
  • Identifying the problems which have been present in the family system, and help each family member understand his/her role in those problems.

Heal family wounds by:

• Making amends for past wrongs.
  • Mutual forgiveness.

Develop family strength and confidence through:

• Open and honest communication.
  • Learning how to establish rules and limits.
  • Fixing and building damaged relationships

Prepare for family reunification by rehearsing family system problems and participating in discharge and aftercare planning,
Costs associated with the Family Reunification Program will be explained by the student's case manager.

Family Week

• Parents will be encouraged to attend our Family Week Sessions at Cinnamon Hills. These sessions will provide the opportunity for parents/guardians to take an active role in the treatment and education process of their son or daughter.
  • The sessions will also include skill building and management strategies for parents.
  • Cinnamon Hills will provide a motel room and will include meals with their son or daughter.

Communication with Youth

• Letters - Students can send and receive mail from individuals approved by their parents or guardians.
  • Phone Calls - Parents/guardians are encouraged to call on a weekly basis using the program's toll-free number: 1-800-782-2888.
  • Personal Visits - Once monthly.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Cinnamon Hills: Services and Fees
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2009, 07:31:39 PM »
Services and Fees

Services

• Staff Secure facility with 24-hour Supervision
  • Behavioral Approach for Youth with Conduct and/or Attitude Problems
  • Drug and Alcohol Treatment
  • Vocational/Life Skills
  • Year-round Schooling
  • Scheduled and Supervised Recreational and Athletic Activities

Boarding

• Semi-private rooms with bath.
  • Students are taught how to make their beds, clean their rooms, and do their laundry.
  • 7:00 am wake-up and 10:00 pm bedtime.
  • Three nutritious meals and bedtime snack are provided.

Admission and Orientation

• Lab work and a full battery of psychological/psychiatric and educational evaluation and testing.
  • Extensive orientation, supervision, and program quizzes to ensure the youth's safe and informed adjustment to the program.

Treatment Block

The length of treatment necessary for each student to resolve their emotional, educational, attitudinal, and motivational issues and prepare for their future success can only be determined as the student is being treated and educated. Parents will be given the opportunity of monitoring the child's overall treatment experience to determine the time required.

* Initially parents can reserve a 90-day treatment block. Thereafter, parents can stop the treatment and education process or reserve additional treatment time if they believe it will benefit their child.

Physical and Mental Heath Care

The staff pediatrician administers a physical examination at admission, and staff nurses monitor health issues thereafter.

The staff psychiatrist completes a mental health examination and provides ongoing psychiatric care thereafter.

Fees

Fees for the program depend upon your youth's situation. Other fees include:

• Youth's transportation to the program, personal or escort
  • Prescriptions and medical care outside the program
  • Clothing
  • Parent transportation to attend Family Week

We will assist parents to determine eligibility for benefits and bill insurance companies.

Get Started

• Admission Application
  • Program Statement
  • 100-A Form
  • 100-B Form

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Cinnamon Hills, the Ambassador Inn, Nova Scotia
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2009, 11:09:21 AM »
Quote from: "Ursus"

Here's mention of that Ambassador Inn and its connection to Cinnamon Hills in a 2006 blog entry from an advocate based in Nova Scotia. Said entry addresses the predilection that Nova Scotia's Department of Community Services seems to demonstrate for shipping difficult cases over to Utah, particularly to Cinnamon Hills.

I came across this blog while researching the recent case of that 14-year-old Cole Harbour boy who almost got sent there. (He got sent to Bayfield Treatment Centre in Prince Edward County instead; Bayfield specializes in Attachment Therapy -- yikes.)

The following blog entry is quite long, and covers quite a bit of ground. To aide in comprehension, I've inserted divider bars between the three major sections:

• Majority of composed portion of blog entry,
  • Copy of an article detailing the case of yet another Nova Scotian boy sent to Cinnamon Hills,
  • Copies of three personal accounts from HEAL's website (prefacing text says "two statements," but there are three statements regarding two cases).

—•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•—

Sunday, May 14, 2006
12. They're Shipping our Children to UTAH!

You heard it right. Over the years, the Department of Community Services has shipped our children out of province, and even out of country to a number of different locations! One such place has the deceivingly innocent name of Cinnamon Hills and is located in St George, Utah, 2 hours northeast of Las Vegas, Nevada, and 5 hours south of Salt Lake City. Cinnamon Hills was 1 of 4 "out of province placement providers" mentioned in the 2006 Nova Scotia publication Report of the Child Welfare Steering Committee, page 24 (check hyperlink). The other 3 "placement providers" mentioned are Robert Smart, Wood’s Home, and Hull Homes.

St George is located in a high desert at an elevation of 2,800 feet, and has 8 inches of annual precipitation with an average maximum temperatures for the summer months between 95 and 101 degrees Fahrenheit! This is a whole different climate folks and with that comes a whole different culture. To be sending our children to such a place, based solely on the climate, is a culture shock - how much worse when they are separated from everyone they know and love and everyone who knows and loves them!

See Satellite map of Cinnamon Hills (hyperlink) in St George, UTAH : (NOTE - scan outside of city limits - nothing BUT desert for miles and miles - A child would easily die if they tried to run away! We need someone watching out for our kids sent here ! )

We have recently accessed information concerning the Ambassador Inn located at 1481 S Sundland Dr, St. George UT 84770. This is a for profit business owned and run by Cinnamon Hills using the sweat of our precious children.

Until very recently, the e-mail address for the Ambassador Inn, posted on StGeorge.biz was http://www.dss.cahwnet.gov/getinfo/acl99/99-75.pdf
http://www.dss.cahwnet.gov/getinfo/acl00/pdf/00-04.PDF

In addition, we have accessed letters from family members posted on a US advocacy site warning parents about Cinnamon Hills and urging them to retrieve their children from this institution. These letters are also found below.

We believe that there is no excuse for sending our children so far a-field. These children need to come back home! But the major concern is, who is watching over the well-being of our children, especially if they have been taken into permanent care where all contact with family has been severed? We do not trust the Nova Scotia government to be honestly accountable for these children.

Did you know that after a little 5 year old girl, Rilya Wilson , went missing in Florida while she was suppose to be in foster care, (she had been missing for 2 years before this was detected) that a number of states did an inventory of their children in the system and it was determined that hundreds of children were unaccounted for! See the following hyperlinks for the article The Lost Children : http://www.liftingtheveil.org/lostintr.htm and http://www.liftingtheveil.org/lostkids.htm.

We need to be concerned about shipping our children to United States and we must not be so naive to think that such things cannot, and do not, happen here either. We need to watch our government, provincial and federal, we need to make them accountable to us. We assure you that there is more greed in this county then most people would like to acknowledge and our precious children and our families are paying the price for this ignorance.

-------------------- • -------------------- • --------------------

Boy charged in school bus beating headed for U.S. boot camp
http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:lal ... =clnk&cd=4

This article comes from NovaServe::The News Magazine For Southwest Nova http://magazine.novaserve.ns.ca/

The original URL for this story was: http://magazine.novaserve.ns.ca/modules ... e&sid=5578
Posted on Monday, December 27 2003(4 ) ? @ 06:40:01 CST Topic: Yarmouth

Originally Published In The Halifax Herald
By BRIAN MEDEL

YARMOUTH - A 12-year-old boy charged in a violent attack on another youngster aboard a Yarmouth school bus last month will be sent to an American facility by the Nova Scotia government, the boy's mother says.

"He's going to be shipped off to Utah in January," the woman said in a telephone interview from Cape Breton. "He went into permanent care with Family and Children's Services. "They think that he's a risk to the other children."

Neither the mother nor her son can be identified under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.
On Nov. 4, an 11-year-old boy was pummelled on a school bus unloading children at Meadowfields Community School. The victim was knocked out and collapsed on the floor of the bus where his assailant continued to kick him and stand on his head.

The victim was taken to hospital by ambulance after the attacker fled on foot.
RCMP said they believed the attack was unprovoked. They later arrested the 12-year-old, who lived at the Hebron Residential Centre near Yarmouth, and charged him with aggravated assault.

The boy made a brief family court appearance and was sent to the Nova Scotia Youth Centre in Waterville for an assessment. He is there now on remand until he returns to family court in Yarmouth on Jan. 12.

On Dec. 15, the boy's mother met with officials in Waterville. That's when they broke the news to her son that he was headed out of province.

"They have something down there that's sort of like a boot camp and I guess they've sent other children there.

"They said (he'll leave) sometime in January after his court hearing," said the boy's mother.

"I was sitting there at that meeting and they wanted to call him in to let him know that he was going to be going to Utah and . . . into permanent care."

The woman said her son did not misbehave at the meeting but was shocked at the decision.

"He was in tears. He wanted to come home," said his mother.
"He keeps telling me that, but it's not going to happen. It's sad. It's really sad how everything turned out. I was very miserable that day when I came home."

"The boy's father drowned two years ago. I found that a lot of the anger came when his father passed away because he was just starting to get to know his father and spend some time with him," the woman said in a previous interview.

The boy has had a hard time dealing with his grief and was not being counseled for it, she said. Family and Children's Services later got involved with the family because the boy accused his stepfather of hitting him, which is not true, the woman said.

"He's full of anger," she said on Nov. 9.

"My son was suspended [from school] 13 times in one year."

Those suspensions occurred at a school in central Nova Scotia the boy attended before he was moved to Yarmouth.

The woman said she volunteered to give up custody of her son in April so he could receive the help he needs.

She said her son was in foster care from April until August, when a bed was found for him at the residential centre near Yarmouth.

He wasn't there very long when he was charged with fighting and using a piece of glass as a weapon.

"I wanted him to come back home, " the woman said. "If he didn't have these assault charges, he would have been coming home (from Yarmouth) in June."

Nova Scotia has 2,000 children in foster care, Community Services spokeswoman Vicki Fraser said. Of that number, 21 have been sent out of province this year for specialized treatment, usually involving anger management or addictions counselling. That's about average for a one-year period. And the province does send kids to Utah, Ms. Fraser said.

She said Nova Scotia sometimes sends young people to the Cinnamon Hills facility for troubled teens. The Cinnamon Hills Youth Crisis Centre is about a two-hour drive northeast of Las Vegas in St. George, Utah.

Children as young as 12 may attend Cinnamon Hills, says its online statistical information.
Last year's admissions in the 92-bed facility included a total of 82 adolescents. The average stay was nine months. Forty per cent of admissions were female and all admissions were under 25 years of age. The cost of treatment is $1,600 US per week.

The Utah centre serves teens with behavioural, mental health, educational and/or substance abuse issues who need a highly structured environment with 24-hour supervision. Nova Scotia also sends kids to centres in Ontario and Alberta, Ms. Fraser said.

# # #

[See update to this story A Mother’s Heartache - The Shame of the NS Government Continues]

-------------------- • -------------------- • --------------------

CINNAMON HILLS YOUTH CRISIS CENTER
LOCATION: ST. GEORGE, UTAH http://www.heal-online.org/cinhills.htm
Taken from FRAUDULENT AND ABUSIVE "TREATMENT" CENTERS FOR CHILDREN AND YOUNG ADULTS! http://www.heal-online.org/childtortureusa.htm

This program is confirmedly abusive. Below are two statements regarding atrocious abuses at this facility. Please do not send your child to this program. If your child is currently enrolled at Cinnamon Hills, rescue them immediately. Here are the statements regarding abuse.

ONE GRANDMOTHER’S STORY
By Helen Daniels

My grandson spent 7 months in 2002 at Cinnamon Hills in Utah. He is mentally disabled. His family and he lived in California and it was an 11 hour drive to go see him. Cinnamon Hills told us that even if we had driven all that way, if he misbehaved while we were in route, we would be turned away without a visit with him. On several occasions when we visited him, he would have bruises up and down his spine from being restrained. The restraining could come from something as minor as kicking his bed.

If his did the least little thing, he would be put in a room for punishment and not allowed to come out till he was ready to "behave". My daughter went once for a visit with her son and he was missing a tooth. she inquired about and was told "he fell in the shower." She asked if they had taken him to a dentist and they told her "not until he starts to behave". My daughter got very upset and told them that even prisoners get medical attention. My grandson stuck to the story about falling in the shower until another boy from Cinnamon Hills was a patient of my daughters and he recognized her and told her that the staff was restraining her son and he was having trouble breathing (he has asthma) the only defence he had was to try and bite the one restraining him, upon that the staff member shoved his head to the ground so hard and broke the tooth.

These people who are staff members are built like gorillas and my grandson weighed maybe a 100 pounds at that time. These kids were not allowed to look at members of the opposite sex or they were punished, had to keep their heads down when a woman or girl was present.

My grandson was forced to wear girls sneakers and we could not bring him anything different. We were not allowed to take his picture or use our own cell phones and let him call and talk to his siblings at home. No one other than this boy's Mom was allowed to phone him and that was once a week and could only talk to him for 5 or 10 min and the calls were always monitored from staff.

My grandson also had a fungus on his feet that was even on the tops of his feet and we were not allowed to bring in medicine for it, they would take care of it but never did.

I would hope that anyone reading this to not, no matter how desperate, put their child in Cinnamon Hills.

I give my permission to HEAL to use our story regarding Cinnamon Hills. Everything is true to the best of my knowledge and experience.

ONE AUNT'S STORY
By Bonnie Sivyer

I was not abused at Cinnamon Hills but my nephew was. You may have already heard from other members of my family who've found your site but I wanted to put in my two-cents worth just in case.

My nephew spent over a year at this facility. His mother and grandparents live in California so driving to Utah to visit him was a long drive. The staff at Cinnamon Hills can deny visitation at any time and did so on several occasions, only notifying family members when they arrived that he had 'misbehaved' and was being denied the visit from his family. This was much more like a prison than a Behavior Modification Center! One can only imagine the frustration of driving for days only to be told at the last minute that you cannot see your child.

This policy gives the facility a prime opportunity for abuse since parents are only allowed access to their children at the facility's discretion.

During one visit my sister noticed that her son's front tooth was missing. She asked why he had not seen a dentist and they told her it was because he had not behaved and therefore could not leave the facility to see the dentist. Denying medical care should not be a consequence of one's behavior!

My sister is very proactive in her son's care programs and is used to being very involved in his treatment. This system was new to her and since he was in another state he was out of her local jurisdiction and she was completely at a loss as to how to deal with this situation.

She was ultimately able to retrieve her son from Cinnamon Hills but she did not retrieve the same son that she had left there. He was now afraid of people and behaved like an animal that had suffered abuse; hunkering down when approached, and other fearful behavior. He refused to speak about his tooth and what had happened. She had been told by Cinnamon Hills that he had slipped in the bathroom but he would not comment on it.

After his release my sister, who worked in a hospital, received a patient one day that was a prior resident of Cinnamon Hills. This patient recognized her from her visits with her son and asked her if she knew what happened to her son's tooth. This person claimed to have witnessed the entire event. It seems the staff had 'restrained' him for what they arbitrarily deemed unacceptable behavior. Several staff members participated in this restraint effort which makes no sense to me as this child can't weigh more than 90 pounds soaking wet! Apparently they got 'a little rough' during the restraint which resulted in knocking out my nephew's tooth.

My sister returned home and told her son that she knew what had happened to his tooth but didn't tell him what she knew. She assured him he was safe and asked him to tell her the truth. She did not lead him in his response...only created a feeling of safety in revealing the truth. His first response was "I misbehaved"...when prodded further he told the exact story the witness had provided.

His family was never told of this and was in fact denied visitation until his mouth had healed enough for him to be seen by them.... Meanwhile they concocted the story and used fear to persuade him to go along with their made up stories about how this had happened.

This is the way I recall it being told to me at the time. I plan to forward this site to my sister so that she can write her own version, which would be straight from the horse's mouth.

I advise anyone who is considering long or even short term placement of their children in ANY facility, regardless of the state, to first investigate the facility and make absolutely certain that you, the parent, have the right to have regular visitation and access to your child regardless of the child's behavior. Contact with parents is ESSENTIAL to any behavior modification program and taking away that right from a child is emotionally abusive!!

I would also recommend that you ensure the facility is governed by state and local laws and that a patient advocate for the governing bodies is available to investigate any concerns parents may have regarding the care of their child.

PLEASE DO NOT ALLOW YOUR CHILD TO BE PLACED IN CINNAMON HILLS!! IT SHOULD BE LISTED AS A CONFIRMED ABUSIVE FACILITY AND NO CHILD IS SAFE IN THEIR CARE!

Thanks for hearing me out. I give permission to HEAL to use our story regarding Cinnamon Hills. Everything in my statement is true to the best of my knowledge and experience.

ONE MOTHER'S STORY
By Mary S.

I am writing on behalf of my Daughter. She is a resident of Cinnamon Hills. She is a victim of Child Abuse from her Father and when she began to get in trouble she was sent to A Wilderness Camp in Pennsylvania, and when that didn't work, the Judge sent her to Cinnamon Hills in Utah.

She was only [suppose to] be there for 9-12 months. She has been there for 2 years now. She is scheduled to come home shortly, but I'll believe it when I see it. Every time she gets close to coming home they come up with another reason why she can't.

They have placed her on a medication called Effexor XR for depression, which in turn caused side effects such as insomnia, weight gain, constipation, headaches, & aggravation so they in turn placed her on sleeping pills. She was bullied by another pier to give her the sleeping pill and when she just couldn't take it anymore, she caved in and gave the pill to the girl.

My Daughter was scheduled to come home the following week but because of that she received a two month suspension. I had already purchased he airline ticket to come home, which was going to be reimbursed, but that didn't happen.

She gets in trouble if she can't sleep but when I tell them to stop her medication, which is causing the sleeplessness they just argue with me, and give me a run a round about signing papers to have that done, but I never get the papers to sign.

Another problem is, (and I have witnessed this first hand when I was out there to visit) is that she was not allowed to go to the bathroom when she asked to. There is always a waiting list which takes twenty minutes or more to go. Just last week, they ordered her to start drinking more water for her constipation and when she did, and had to go to the bathroom, and had to wait so long before they would let her, she wound up wetting herself. This has been going on now for a few weeks. I am sure that did wonders for the self esteem of a sixteen year old girl.

Also while I was out there visiting, I asked about what kind of qualifications and experience that the staff had, but they just ignored me and I was told that I just had a chip on my shoulder.

They go through staff like crazy.. Can't seem to keep them. They are always advertising for help.

She is getting off her suspension Nov. 2 and now they want to send her to a Group Home for another six months. There isn't a bed available at the place they want to send her so she will have to wait another month to leave.

She is not an alcoholic or drug user. She just had the misfortune of having a Father who was a Child Abuser. I live sixty miles away from her Father, and they want to send her to a place that is closer to him than to me. She needs to be home with me in a loving and nurturing environment, and not with more strangers with more problems.

She is a straight A student and needs to get on with her life and school. I have written to the Judge, and the head of Probation, and Congressmen and anyone who will listen, but it doesn't seem to do any good. If anyone can help me get my Daughter home, please help me. She is a good kid, but the system is going to ruin her. "Everything in my statement is true. I give HEAL permission to use my statement."

# # #

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2009, 02:37:54 PM »
Are you friggen kidding me? Srsly someone should sue. If i wasnt 28 and long past my year there i would definitely be at the forefront of ANY lawsuit.  Let me break it down for you.

Academics
Upon admission students receive the Woodstock/Johnson assessment. With these test results certified teachers prepare a Student Education Plan designed to improve academic deficiencies. Students can also complete the requirements for a G.E.D. High School Diploma equivalency.

ME: There was NOT a way to complete school here AT ALL unless you were all star NO ONE except a select few meaning 3-4 sometimes 5-6 girls will ever make it at one time. PERIOD> You CANNOT and WILL not get to the point were you are ALLOWED to graduate from school.

Program Structure
Cinnamon Hills utilizes "Eyeball Supervision," meaning that the youth are under direct observation by staff at all times. Staff supervise all activities to ensure that youths' behavior is under control and that the environment is safe for students and staff.

ME: They also utilize STRIP SEARCH, BELT STATUS, ARM BAR, CHICKEN WINGS, and numerous other forms of ABUSE that any parent would go to jail for.  "eyeball" supervision is not a guarantee of anything!

Vocational/Life Skills
The vocational program helps students gain skills to prepare for the future. Students are taught specific skills to give them the experience necessary to lead a productive life. The vocational program will help them develop a feeling of personal self worth and achievement as they participate in vocational training.

Me: I was NEVER taught any life skills except how to mentally survive a place where anything goes and i am helpless in every way to stop it. I learned how to deal with depression on the inside. I learned not to trust people in a position of power, i learned how hoard food in the seams of my underwear and shoes. I learned how to survive alright. Survive the hell i was in.

Documentation and Reporting
Cinnamon Hills follows Utah State Licensing and Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) standards of documentation, following all guidelines and confidentiality requirements. Comprehensive reports are sent to all parties involved in the treatment process.

ME:  Really? No one EVER came to talk to us. We had to wash all our clothes in old broken washers when they didnt dry we were still made to fold them and put them away wet so that they would mildew then we were made to buy new ones with our "earned money credits" We had to BUY sanitation napkin or borrow from other girls who had some. I know several people who had no money and had to roll up toilet paper, Myself included.  We were NOT allowed to use tampons as they were seen as sexual objects by the staff. The rooms where disgusting the floors had mold and germs that we were forced to sit on it was sticky and many people ended up with foot fungus.

Recreation
Youth enjoy recreational activities as well as daily aerobics and calisthenics, according to their physical capabilities. Recreational activities include swimming, bowling, movies, board and video games, basketball, etc.

ME: This was the real shocker... we ENJOYED this? HELL NO> daily exercise consisted of running or stand in place movement. PERIOD. there was NO other exercise. The all stars mostly lead the activities and the staff implemented "games" For instance when one girl couldnt hold her position. We would all start over or have to hold our leggs or arms double. We NEVER got a break it was GOGOGOGOGGO non stop for an hour. Then they said "free time"! walk it off.... so we would walk for 15 min of free time and then go back to our stations.  The pool was GREEN more often than naught. We only used it 2 times in my 11 months there. We ONLY got movies on the weekends IF we had not received IR's (incident reports) for even minor things like. Leaving your bath products in the bathroom. Or not making your bed right. Or not tucking your shirt in.

Therapy
Youth are involved in individual, group, and family telephone therapy each week. The therapist will address the issues the youth has been experiencing personally and within his or her family and community, help the youth build strength and confidence in areas of weakness, and to prepare the youth for family reunification.

Me: This has got to be the biggest FUCKING (yes i said it) Joke in the whole spiel. There is NO therapy that can help me overcome the crap that was forced down my throat as truth from these "therapists" Supposedly i was a  nymphomaniac at 15, (resulting from a rape) i have split personality disorder. I am co dependent and Emotionally closed. I am a sociopath, i needed intense behavior modification, i was bi-polar, (? wth?) I was a kleptomaniac ect.. the list literally goes on and on. I was diagnosed with over 60 different personality disorders as well as behavioral issues. NONE of which i experienced well.. ever.  Non of which EVER have been even alluded to since i left that hell hole. I was made to recount my molestation IN DETAIL in GROUP i was made to recount my RAPE and what I could have done differently. I was made to wear a sign around my neck. listing issues my thearpist decided was my current crisis needing intervention. The group was then asked to "help me" with whatever issue it was that i was working on. By being hurtful and degrading and pointing out that i had other "mental disabilities" that could have led to certain situations in the first place.  I am something. I AM A SURVIVOR.

Group Living
The living environment is structured to be safe from self-harm and harm from other students. Cinnamon Hills utilizes "Eyeball Supervision" meaning that the youth are under the direct observation by staff at all times. Yet Cinnamon Hills staff are supportive and are sensitive to the problems of individual youth.

ME: We had 3 attempted suicides from CH. I cant remember the names now but i do have pics of the girls. Veronica Moreno was one. Another was a blond girl who slit her wirsts with a broken light bulb in the middle of the night. The last i dont remember clearly enough to state any fact about it. I wouldnt want to be misleading. The staff could care less about the girls there. We are nothing to them. I was on belt status and made to eat last. I was degraded and humiliated daily for so many things. The way my clothes fit. The way we smelled. The way we sat, the way we slept (snoring) you name it we were made fun of and humiliated. We were forced to watch staff eat in front of us. Really good food like burgers and fries. We where made to sit on the floor and "catch" fried in our mouth like dogs one time. I was made to "sing" by barking. I was forced to tuck in my shirt with pants that were to big and then i was made fun of by staff telling me in front of the boys i should lay of the snacks. WHAT FRIGGEN SNACKS!? We barley got food! God forbid we would be the last group of kids to eat. Or that we would get there after the last of the cereal was gone in the morning and would have to eat hard "biscuit" with jelly. The other food was just as bad. Almost literally inedible. We were forced to eat our food till we threw up people who were vegetarian like me were forced to eat meat every meal. in SOME form or another whether it was processed spam in a can or "glucose Grissel nuggets" The staff dont give a crap about being sensitive. Onaray once asked me "who would WANT to rape you"... when i cried she gave me an IR for being disruptive in class. I dont even want to get into the Becky event.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2010, 10:44:25 AM »
Despite having been around for some time, this place is only now getting the attention of Woodbury Reports.

The internal link for this piece was categorized as "New Perspectives," yet the actual webpage is described as "Breaking News," probably incorrectly. Moreover, said page didn't have a title/header within the text. So... I used the header and category from the internal link, fwiw...

New Perspectives
Posted: Jul 26, 2010

St. George, Utah
Sherry Shake
Admissions
435-674-0984
http://www.cinnamonhills.com

Cinnamon Hills Youth Crisis Center is a therapeutic residential treatment program designed to assist youth with behavioral issues, chemical dependency or addiction issues, mental health issues, and or dual diagnosis. Boys and girls, ages 12 to 17 are accepted into the program. Students commit to a 90 day treatment program and parents can elect to extend the treatment period as necessary.

Cinnamon Hills is accredited by the Utah Department of Human Services, JCAHO, and the Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges.

Upon admission, clients have an individualized treatment plan assembled that may include group or individual therapy, 12-Step Substance Abuse Treatment, vocational training, social skills training, physical conditioning, and life skills preparation. The plan is revaluated by the youth's treatment team as necessary to gauge adequate progress in each part of the recovery process. The youth also take the Woodstock/Johnson assessment upon admission to the program in order to test their academic placement. A team of certified teachers then prepare a Student Education Plan to address the client's educational needs. Youth in the program are constantly monitored by staff members to ensure the complete safety of the children.

Cinnamon Hills is located in southern Utah, 2 hours northeast of Las Vegas. The dryer climate produces mild winters and hot summers, allowing for a myriad of outdoor recreational activities including picnics, swimming, hiking, softball, and volleyball.

[This information came from the Cinnamon Hills Youth Crisis Center website.]

Copyright ©2010, Woodbury Reports, Inc.