Author Topic: Programs In Behrens Study Charged with Abuse  (Read 16740 times)

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Re: Programs In Behrens Study Charged with Abuse
« Reply #135 on: August 05, 2010, 06:39:27 PM »
The marketing campaign is polished, it just lies about the study results.

And the study clearly states that the length of stay has no effect on the outcome.  The obvious conclusion is if the results are the same, keep the stay as short as possible and the cost as low as possible.  It's a stunning find by Behrens that there's no diference in outcome for kids who left early against program advice and kids who stayed for the full program.  Kinda blows holes in the whole "kids who don't finish the program fail" theory, huh?  You've said that many times.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 05, 2010, 06:46:29 PM »
Quote from: "Dysfunction Junction"

And the study clearly states that the length of stay has no effect on the outcome.  The obvious conclusion is if the results are the same, keep the stay as short as possible and the cost as low as possible.  It's a stunning find by Behrens that there's no diference in outcome for kids who left early against program advice and kids who stayed for the full program.  Kinda blows holes in the whole "kids who don't finish the program fail" theory, huh?  You've said that many times.

I see it a little differently.  The kids who leave early  (say 6 months) may report the same results as the kids who stay the entire time.  This is due to that the majority of the change has occurred by then and the child appears to be better.  The time in the final phase of the programs is used to solidify the childs changes and prepare the child for the transition home.

Great discussion, DJ, I found this finding interesting myself.  I would like to see the kids fill these out at 3 month intervals to see if there is any variance from the onset to the 3 month mark and then again from the 6 month mark to the end of the program  (just purely from a reporting perspective to see how the kids feel they are benefiting and at what time along the time-line they wee this effect).

However, in this case, those who left against program advice left, on average, during
the last stage of treatment. Clinical staff in private residential care often devote the last few
weeks or months to consolidation of gains and transfer of skills. In essence, this last phase is
typically designed to solidify change. Parents and adolescents who discharge against program
advice during this last phase may not appreciate the need for continued care because problems
appear resolved.

p.14
Residential Treatment Outcome-Study

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 06, 2010, 09:13:09 AM »
You miss the point.  A properly designed research project would have answered these questions by use of proper methods including a contol group and a follow up.  You are just posting the researcher's guesses as to why kids who left early had the same results as kids who finished the program.  You toss out "6 months" but that isn't quantified in the work.  Only kids who "left early."  This could mean as little as one day.

So what we're left with is a project with deeply flawed methodology, strong bias in sampling and reporting, and conclusions that are merely guesses which are unsupported by any data.  

Not to mention the very same programs studied have been charged with abuse and neglect, killed children and were shut down by state authorities for systemic abuse.  That is a fact.  The researcher is left guessing whether or not abusive methods help kids.  On its face it's a non-starter.
The Linchpin Link

**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 06, 2010, 09:58:51 AM »
Quote from: "Whooter"

I see it a little differently.

Well, of course you do.  You're one of he marks that buys into the bullshit.

The kids who leave early  (say 6 months) may report the same results as the kids who stay the entire time.  This is due to that the majority of the change has occurred by then and the child appears to be better.  The time in the final phase of the programs is used to solidify the childs changes and prepare the child for the transition home.

That's pretty much what they told us (and our parents) in Straight, just dressed up a little prettier.  Virgil MIller Newton was goddamned proud of his sadistic acts.  Now, since the media (and yes, Fornits) has picked up on this, they've just repackaged it (this is where your marketing skills come in quite handy, Who) and sell the same old snake-oil.

Great discussion, DJ, I found this finding interesting myself.  I would like to see the kids fill these out at 3 month intervals to see if there is any variance from the onset to the 3 month mark and then again from the 6 month mark to the end of the program  (just purely from a reporting perspective to see how the kids feel they are benefiting and at what time along the time-line they wee this effect).

How 'bout a 5 - 10 year follow-up to see how the kids feel about what happened to them back then.  We tend to see things through different eyes as an adult and are able to recognize abuse when we see it instead of just trusting our parents or worse yet, "trust the process".  Edited to add:  That 5 - 10 year period is also when the PTSD tends to manifest itself.  It takes a while for the brainwashing to clear out of your soul.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 06, 2010, 10:45:03 AM »
I'd settle for seeing the results of the one-year follow up they already conducted but refused to make public.  It stands to reason they didn't make it public because even a year out these kids were saying "the program was bullshit and I said what I needed to say to get out of there."  That is a very, very typical response to the "program experience."
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline SUCK IT

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 06, 2010, 02:03:33 PM »
What I want to know is how much blood money Dysfunction Junction took home in exchange for abusing kids and being their prison guard. Did you keep all the money you made?
one day at a time

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 06, 2010, 02:09:22 PM »
I'd settle for seeing the results of the one-year follow up they already conducted but refused to make public.  It stands to reason they didn't make it public because even a year out these kids were saying "the program was bullshit and I said what I needed to say to get out of there."  That is a very, very typical response to the "program experience."

Anyone find "phase two" in a garbage dumpster somewhere yet?
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline SUCK IT

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 06, 2010, 02:19:28 PM »
How much was it? $50k? 100K? 200k? That's a lot of blood money to pocket. I think you should add up everything you made while abusing children, and give this money back to the parents you fleeced and the children you abused. You know it's the right thing to do.
one day at a time

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 06, 2010, 02:27:13 PM »
Yes, counselors at programs make an average of $200,000 per year.  Most are millionaires.
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline SUCK IT

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 06, 2010, 02:30:32 PM »
How much was it? How much blood money to you take home in exchange for abusing other people's children? It takes a big man to abuse other people's kids for money, you should be proud of yourself.
one day at a time

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 07, 2010, 04:53:18 PM »
We all know about Mount Bachelor Academy's recent closure due to child abuse and neglect and that Aspen Education has claimed in court that it provides no therapy.  

MBA was one of the programs that was studied in Behrens' work.  The fact that MBA was closed for abusing children and that Behrens concluded MBA was "effective" despite offering no therapy and abusing hundreds of children is terribly troubling to say the least.

Here's a list of the all of the programs she looked at:

Academy at Swift River, Aspen Ranch, Copper Canyon Academy, Mount Bachelor Academy, Stone Mountain School, Pine Ridge Academy, SunHawk Academy,Turnabout Ranch, and Youth Care, Inc.

Academy at Swift River has been cited by state authorities for child abuse.  

How many of the others have been as well?  Are there any untainted entities in this study?
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 12, 2010, 11:04:23 AM »
Quote from: "Troll Control"

Aspen didn't like the results of "phase two" showing marked and rapid deterioration of ex-attendees, so they never published it.

Not to mention that several of the "schools" studied were closed for abusing kids.  Aspen's marketing team suggests that abusing kids is "helpful" and it "improves" the children.

Google "Behrens study" and see what comes up.
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Dysfunction Junction

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 03, 2010, 10:03:37 AM »
:bump:

Just a reminder that this "study" has been debunked already.
"Compassion is the basis of morality."

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 03, 2010, 10:31:34 AM »
Yes, it has......quite handily.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 03, 2010, 01:32:22 PM »
I dont believe people outside fornits agree with you.  The study still stands and has been accepted by the APA.

Lets take another look for those first time readers:

Residential Treatment Outcome-Study

Just getting more people to read the study, gain more knowledge about the industry,  is a big step for all of us.