Author Topic: Programs In Behrens Study Charged with Abuse  (Read 17010 times)

Offline Dr. Acula

• View Profile
Re: Brendan James Blum's death @ Youth Care Inc.
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2010, 07:16:14 PM »
Quote from: "DannyB II"
Quote from: "Ursus"
Quote from: "Whooter"
There were not many kids at ASR that had serious drug problems. The staff that I had met (and my daughter knew) cared for the kids in their group and many kept in touch long after they graduated. I think the point was that many of the kids would try real hard to get a day in the nurses office to avoid the rigid schedule of program life. So if a kid said he had a stomach ache in a program it may be met with a little more skepticism as compared to a kid in your local high-school saying the same thing and therefore the process to validate the problem may require a few more steps or a longer process.
Whooter, you spell out -- oh so well -- one of the inherent dangers of programs, namely, that kids' complaints and "stories" are simply not taken seriously. If I were a parent considering a program, this would be a huge red flag for me.

I'd rather have my kid be a slacker or malcontent who is at least still alive, than a kid who had been coerced to "confront his bad attitude" to the point of death.

Brendan James Blum
      August 7, 1992 – June 28, 2007[/list][/list]

There goes, "Mr. Extremist Extraordinare" on his :soapbox: again.

Ursus were you bored today. Not much action in the last few days, is this your way of getting the juices flowing.
      DANNY IS JUST UPSET BECAUSE EVEN A $5.00 CRACK WHORE WILL NOT TOUCH HIS ASS!!!!
      « Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline elangraduate

• View Profile
      Re: Programs In Behrens Study Charged with Abuse
      « Reply #31 on: July 29, 2010, 07:22:04 PM »
      DANNY IS JUST UPSET BECAUSE EVEN A $5.00 CRACK WHORE WILL NOT TOUCH HIS ASS!!!!

WHOOOTER WON'T

:jawdrop:

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
      « Reply #32 on: July 29, 2010, 07:38:17 PM »
      Whooter, you spell out -- oh so well -- one of the inherent dangers of programs, namely, that kids' complaints and "stories" are simply not taken seriously. If I were a parent considering a program, this would be a huge red flag for me.

I'd rather have my kid be a slacker or malcontent who is at least still alive, than a kid who had been coerced to "confront his bad attitude" to the point of death.

We could say the same thing about all the kids who are raped by their teachers in public schools.  But you have avoided the fact that kids who are in Residential Treatment are there for a reason.  Some of them have manipulated everyone they came in contact with their whole life.  When they say the have a stomach ache there needs to be a little bit more information to verify it and the reaction time is different than if a kid which didnt have a history of manipulation were to say he had a stomach ache in public high school.
      These are the facts that staff have to deal with.  Whether we like it or not.

I know that everyone who has been involved in a program and knows the kids know that I am telling the truth, but it will not be admitted to because it swings some of the responsibility away from the industry which goes against the grain here on fornits.  But I am willing to be the one to say it openly and take the heat.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
      « Reply #33 on: July 29, 2010, 07:43:59 PM »
      Just to be clear, kids at Aspen programs are not in treatment of any kind:

Quote from: "Aspen Education Attorneys"
      Aspen Education Group does not provide a therapeutic milieu that is conformative to standards, provide medically recognized therapy, medically accredited personnel, or a treatment centers for mental disorder or drug abuse, Aspen's own lawyers successfully argued in Pence v. Aspen Education Group.

Can't be in "residential treatment" without the treatment, right?  It's more of just a lockup for kids.
      The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
      **********************************************************************************************************
      "Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
      Pine Ridge Academy
      « Reply #34 on: July 29, 2010, 07:46:12 PM »
      Programs involved in Ellen Behren's study, as noted in the OP:

Academy at Swift River,
        Aspen Ranch,
        Copper Canyon Academy,
        Mount Bachelor Academy,
        Stone Mountain School,
        Pine Ridge Academy,
        SunHawk Academy,
        Turnabout Ranch, and
        Youth Care Inc.
        [/list]

Pine Ridge Academy was at one point, and perhaps still is, run by the same director et al who oversaw/oversees Youth Care Inc. After all, they are both in Draper, Utah. If you go back to the previously posted articles on the first page of this thread, you'll see that Pine Ridge Academy is also mentioned in most of them.

As an historical aside, here's an ad for Pine Ridge Academy which appears to be from around the time they first opened:

-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Deseret News
        Sunday, October 31, 1993

[li]Are you child's grades not up to par?[/li]
          [li]Has your child been cutting classes?[/li]
          [li]Are you getting calls from school about your child's behavior?[/li]
          [li]Is your child hanging around with a bad crowd?[/b][/li][/list]

Find Solutions at
          PINE RIDGE ACADEMY

Pine Ridge Academy is a special needs school with boarding and day school capabilities. Our specialty school is for adolescent boys and girls between the ages of 11 and 18 who are not achieving success in a regular school setting and need educational assistance, couple with minor therapeutic support. Pine Ridge Academy gives students an individualized education that focuses on all facets necessary to become a well-rounded individual.

The academic program is designed to identify each individual's strengths and weaknesses, allowing adolescents to earn lost credits and ensuring that each is on track towards high school graduation. All teachers are certified by the State of Utah. Pine Ridge Academy is fully accredited by the Northwestern Association of Schools and Colleges. School credits are transferable to high schools and colleges across the country.

If you know of any adolescent who isn't reaching his or her potential, who could use some expert guidance, a helping hand from our team of professionals...

CALL 572-6989 of 1-800-786-4924
          ...let us help you help them!

Pine Ridge Academy • P.O. Box 909 • Draper, UT 84020

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
          « Reply #35 on: July 29, 2010, 07:46:37 PM »
          Quote from: "Dysfunction Junction"

Aspen Education Group does not provide a therapeutic milieu that is conformative to standards, provide medically recognized therapy, medically accredited personnel, or a treatment centers for mental disorder or drug abuse, Aspen's own lawyers successfully argued in Pence v. Aspen Education Group.

Can't be in "residential treatment" without the treatment, right?  It's more of just a lockup for kids.

Wow, 80% success rate without providing any treatment!!!  Think of the profits! lol

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
          « Reply #36 on: July 29, 2010, 07:50:06 PM »
          Quote from: "Whooter"

We could say the same thing about all the kids who are raped by their teachers in public schools.  But you have avoided the fact that kids who are in Residential Treatment are there for a reason.  Some of them have manipulated everyone they came in contact with their whole life.  When they say the have a stomach ache there needs to be a little bit more information to verify it and the reaction time is different than if a kid which didnt have a history of manipulation were to say he had a stomach ache in public high school.

These are the facts that staff have to deal with.  Whether we like it or not.

I know that everyone who has been involved in a program and knows the kids know that I am telling the truth, but it will not be admitted to because it swings some of the responsibility away from the industry which goes against the grain here on fornits.  But I am willing to be the one to say it openly and take the heat.
          Perhaps you speak for yourself or your experience with your own kid.

You do not, however, speak for me.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
          « Reply #37 on: July 29, 2010, 07:55:15 PM »
          Profits, yes.  Success, no.  Aspen doesn't treat anyone or anything according to their attorneys.  Behrens is probably a bit humiliated that they completely discredited her and her work.

More on the profits aspect here.  No wonder he's giddy with laughter that Aspen can make money by just locking up the kids.  Less effort, less expense, more profit for his masters.
          The Linchpin Link

**********************************************************************************************************
          "Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
          « Reply #38 on: July 29, 2010, 07:58:15 PM »
          Profits, yes.  Success, no.

We are halfway there,  Lets take a look at the success part:

We have come a long way.  A few weeks ago many people had never heard of the Residential Treatment Outcome Study performed by Canyon Research.  They looked at close to 1,000 children and families and found that the programs studied where up to 80% effective.

Dysfunction junction and myself managed to put the spot light on this study over the past day or two and were able to nail down that the study was indeed independent and was overseen by an independent third party in the form of a Review Board (WIRB).  From WIRB’s documents:

The IRB also reviews the consent form (which they did for the Aspen Study) for the research to make sure that it is accurate. If it approves the research, the IRB continues to review the ongoing research after it starts. (This is called oversight).

WIRB reviewed the consent forms and approved the study and issued “Certificates of approval” as was pointed out in the study itself and presented to the APA.
          Here are some supportive links and information as we stand today:

Residential Treatment Outcome-Study

Canyon Research & Consulting: Independent research company that conducted the study.

Western Institutional Review Board: Independent board that approved research and audited the study.

The Western Institutional Review Board approved consent/assent forms and issued Certificates of Approval for the study.
          Here are copies of their "Certificate of Approval" forms
          Sample 1
          Sample 2

at the bottom of page 2 it states:

Federal regulations require that WIRB conduct continuing review of approved research. You will receive Continuing
          Review Report forms from WIRB. These reports must be returned even though your study may not have started

The above study was presented at the American Psychological Association (APA) conference 2006.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
          « Reply #39 on: July 29, 2010, 08:02:11 PM »

How did Behrens study something that doesn't exist?  Did she find Bigfoot there, too?  Or the Chupacabra?  She might be on to something...
          The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
          « Reply #40 on: July 29, 2010, 08:19:27 PM »

How did Behrens study something that doesn't exist?  Did she find Bigfoot there, too?  Or the Chupacabra?  She might be on to something...

DJs address to the annual APA Convention:  Dear APA members, I am here to let you know that all 1,000 kids and parents lied during the study and they actually did very poorly.  Ms. Behrens was mistaken.  I hope you believe me over this Study and the international Review Board which over saw the study.  I dont have any data but you just need to take my word on it. Nothing I am telling you is peer reviewed or published but If you look at my next slide there is a link to fornits which lists my degrees.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
          « Reply #41 on: July 29, 2010, 08:41:48 PM »

I guess you can take it up with your legal department.  They say Aspen provides no treatment.  This must have been embarassing and humiliating for Behrens.  Maybe that's why she never did "phase 2" - to save herself the humiliation.
          The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
          « Reply #42 on: July 29, 2010, 08:47:09 PM »
          DJs address to the annual APA Convention:  Dear APA members, I am here to let you know that all 1,000 kids and parents lied during the study and they actually did very poorly.  Ms. Behrens was mistaken.  I hope you believe me over this Study and the international Review Board which over saw the study.  I dont have any data but you just need to take my word on it. Nothing I am telling you is peer reviewed or published but If you look at my next slide there is a link to fornits which lists my degrees.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
          « Reply #43 on: July 29, 2010, 08:56:28 PM »

And Aspen is abusing these poor kids daily.  MBA, ASR, Youth Care...all abused kids and even killed some, too.  Aspen is shameful.
          The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
          « Reply #44 on: July 29, 2010, 09:00:25 PM »

And Aspen is abusing these poor kids daily.  MBA, ASR, Youth Care...all abused kids and even killed some, too.  Aspen is shameful.

Oh No!!!!  They are killing kids too?  You need to put that into your speech to the APA.  Wait until they hear about the blood bath at Aspen.  Be sure to let us know how they all react when you tell them.