Author Topic: Programs In Behrens Study Charged with Abuse  (Read 16960 times)

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Re: Programs In Behrens Study Charged with Abuse
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 02:36:09 PM »
ASR, part of the study, was also charged by the state of MA with abusing kids.  MBA was shut down.  Kids were abused and died in other programs in the study.  All it says is that abused kids are likely to self-report improvement in order to escape the program and the abuse.  It's called "sample bias" and this study is rife with it, and the study itself calls out its own bias.

The main conclusion of the study is that abusing kids is effective in making them say they are well to make it stop.  No control group, no follow up, no peer review, no oversight of program b-mod procedures, nothing.

These kids could be made to self report improvement just by beating them daily until they said what Whooter wanted them to.  He'd then claim "success" without discussing his methods, like this garbage study does.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 02:46:43 PM »
Quote from: "Dysfunction Junction"
ASR, part of the study, was also charged by the state of MA with abusing kids.  MBA was shut down.  Kids were abused and died in other programs in the study.  All it says is that abused kids are likely to self-report improvement in order to escape the program and the abuse.  It's called "sample bias" and this study is rife with it, and the study itself calls out its own bias.

The main conclusion of the study is that abusing kids is effective in making them say they are well to make it stop.  No control group, no follow up, no peer review, no oversight of program b-mod procedures, nothing.

These kids could be made to self report improvement just by beating them daily until they said what Whooter wanted them to.  He'd then claim "success" without discussing his methods, like this garbage study does.

Hmmm.  this is really getting to you.  Can you show us where this was concluded in the study?  lol

All this time you have been hammering the table asking for an independent Study..... now we have an independent Study with third party oversight which has been presented to the professional community and DJ is ready to burst a vein in his neck.

Oh no!  We cant accept this study.. uhmm  I didnt read it in my journal... yup thats it!!  I reject the study... its garbage!!  lol  Oh wait phase II isnt done yet so we can reject phase I !!!  

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 04:49:46 PM »
So you're not arguing the topic of the thread I see.  These programs that were part of the study have maimed, killed and abused kids and the program itself that Aspen uses is intrinsically abusive.  Why didn't the researcher discuss the methods of the programs and instead just take a survey?  Because it's a marketing whitepaper that cannot withstand scientific rigor, which is why it has never been reviewed or published.  A real study would have examined the methods and described how they effected change in the subjects.

I think Whooter is the one "popping a vein" trying to defend it.  Punching holes in it is actually easy and not stressful in the least.

I would like to see this thread stay on topic, though.  The topic is "Programs in Behrens Study Charged with Abuse."  Thanks.
The Linchpin Link

**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 05:26:03 PM »
So you're not arguing the topic of the thread I see. These programs that were part of the study have maimed, killed and abused kids and the program itself that Aspen uses is intrinsically abusive. Why didn't the researcher discuss the methods of the programs and instead just take a survey? Because it's a marketing whitepaper that cannot withstand scientific rigor, which is why it has never been reviewed or published. A real study would have examined the methods and described how they effected change in the subjects.

I think Whooter is the one "popping a vein" trying to defend it. Punching holes in it is actually easy and not stressful in the least.

I would like to see this thread stay on topic, though. The topic is "Programs in Behrens Study Charged with Abuse." Thanks.

DJ's fantasy feedback:

Oh No!!! DJ says the study is now just a marketing white-paper which cannot withstand scientific rigor.

Oh No!!!  DJ says:  “A real study(lol) would have examined the methods and described how they effected change in the subjects.

So this independent study which was overseen by a third party and presented at the annual APA convention was not a real study according to DJ.  Maybe the study only exists in the minds of others?  Hmmmm.  Maybe people have been brainwashed to believe there is a study but none has really been done!  Lol.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 05:30:42 PM »
Soooo...no argument that the programs "studied" abused, neglected, maimed and killed kids.  The avoidance of this fact speaks volumes from Aspen's marketer.

Let's stay on topic.  No need to spam both threads with repetive drivel.  Keep spamming the other thread with "study spam" and this thread will be for discussing the inevitable facts that the programs studied are/were rife with systemic abuse.
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 05:46:25 PM »
Two female restaurant workers likely will be charged with assault and theft in connection with an alleged July 13 attack on a male college student at a Richmond McDonald's.......

So I guess all those studies on fast food must be voided because one of the McDonalds is abusive.  Instead of studying the effectiveness of food they should have studied the abuse that takes place within the industry.  lol  McDonalds must be kicking themselves for not listening to DJ and getting their studies peer reviewed by Burger King.  Now look at the mess they are in.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2010, 05:59:11 PM »
A gunman allegedly shot dead three people after a drunken argument in the queue at a McDonald's all-night drive-through in Finland turned deadly, police say.

Why does McDonalds conduct studies on their food and not revel the fact that people are dying at their restaurants?   Why wasnt this picked up?  Wasnt death part of their study?  Who oversaw all these studies?  If this study was peer reviewed by Burger King then it would never have been released!!

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2010, 06:18:37 PM »
We all know about Mount Bachelor Academy's recent closure due to child abuse and neglect and that Aspen Education has claimed in court that it provides no therapy.  

MBA was one of the programs that was studied in Behrens' work.  The fact that MBA was closed for abusing children and that Behrens concluded MBA was "effective" despite offering no therapy and abusing hundreds of children is terribly troubling to say the least.

Here's a list of the all of the programs she looked at:

Academy at Swift River, Aspen Ranch, Copper Canyon Academy, Mount Bachelor Academy, Stone Mountain School, Pine Ridge Academy, SunHawk Academy,Turnabout Ranch, and Youth Care, Inc.

Academy at Swift River has been cited by state authorities for child abuse.  

How many of the others have been as well?  Are there any untainted entities in this study?
OP re-posted for relevance...
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Dr. Acula

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2010, 06:22:49 PM »
Quote from: "Whooter"
A gunman allegedly shot dead three people after a drunken argument in the queue at a McDonald's all-night drive-through in Finland turned deadly, police say.

Why does McDonalds conduct studies on their food and not revel the fact that people are dying at their restaurants?   Why wasnt this picked up?  Wasnt death part of their study?  Who oversaw all these studies?  If this study was peer reviewed by Burger King then it would never have been released!!

:poison:  :poison:  :poison:  :poison:  :poison:  :poison:  :poison:  :poison:  :poison:  :poison:  :poison:  :poison:  :poison:  :poison:  :poison:  :poison:  :poison:  :poison:  :poison:  :poison:  :poison:  :poison:  :poison:  :poison:  :poison:  :poison:  :poison:
LUCIFER CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY? :clown:

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2010, 06:26:26 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
We all know about Mount Bachelor Academy's recent closure due to child abuse and neglect and that Aspen Education has claimed in court that it provides no therapy.  

MBA was one of the programs that was studied in Behrens' work.  The fact that MBA was closed for abusing children and that Behrens concluded MBA was "effective" despite offering no therapy and abusing hundreds of children is terribly troubling to say the least.

Here's a list of the all of the programs she looked at:

Academy at Swift River, Aspen Ranch, Copper Canyon Academy, Mount Bachelor Academy, Stone Mountain School, Pine Ridge Academy, SunHawk Academy,Turnabout Ranch, and Youth Care, Inc.

Academy at Swift River has been cited by state authorities for child abuse.  

How many of the others have been as well?  Are there any untainted entities in this study?
OP re-posted for relevance...

LOL, thanks Ursus,  We have come full circle on this topic .......  I think I have managed to make my point.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 06:40:59 PM by Whooter »

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2010, 06:35:52 PM »
OK, so what we have so far is that the Behrens study concluded that abusing children is effective in biasing them to self-report improvement in order to be allowed to leave the program.

Programs Included in Behrens' Work:

ASR - cited for child abuse by the state of MA
MBA - forcibly closed for "systematic child abuse and neglect" by the state of OR
Youth Care - killed a boy through neglect and was cited by state authorities

Anyone have further info on the other programs behrens concluded were "effective"?
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Dr. Acula

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2010, 06:40:32 PM »
OK, so what we have so far is that the Behrens study concluded that abusing children is effective in biasing them to self-report improvement in order to be allowed to leave the program.

Programs Included in Behrens' Work:

ASR - cited for child abuse by the state of MA
MBA - forcibly closed for "systematic child abuse and neglect" by the state of OR
Youth Care - killed a boy through neglect and was cited by state authorities

Anyone have further info on the other programs behrens concluded were "effective"?

:flame:  ::unhappy::

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Brendan James Blum's death @ Youth Care Inc.
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2010, 06:43:47 PM »
There were not many kids at ASR that had serious drug problems. The staff that I had met (and my daughter knew) cared for the kids in their group and many kept in touch long after they graduated. I think the point was that many of the kids would try real hard to get a day in the nurses office to avoid the rigid schedule of program life. So if a kid said he had a stomach ache in a program it may be met with a little more skepticism as compared to a kid in your local high-school saying the same thing and therefore the process to validate the problem may require a few more steps or a longer process.
Whooter, you spell out -- oh so well -- one of the inherent dangers of programs, namely, that kids' complaints and "stories" are simply not taken seriously. If I were a parent considering a program, this would be a huge red flag for me.

I'd rather have my kid be a slacker or malcontent who is at least still alive, than a kid who had been coerced to "confront his bad attitude" to the point of death.

Brendan James Blum
      August 7, 1992 – June 28, 2007[/list][/list]
      -------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Dr. Acula

• View Profile
      Re: Brendan James Blum's death @ Youth Care Inc.
      « Reply #28 on: July 29, 2010, 06:46:51 PM »
      There were not many kids at ASR that had serious drug problems. The staff that I had met (and my daughter knew) cared for the kids in their group and many kept in touch long after they graduated. I think the point was that many of the kids would try real hard to get a day in the nurses office to avoid the rigid schedule of program life. So if a kid said he had a stomach ache in a program it may be met with a little more skepticism as compared to a kid in your local high-school saying the same thing and therefore the process to validate the problem may require a few more steps or a longer process.
      Whooter, you spell out -- oh so well -- one of the inherent dangers of programs, namely, that kids' complaints and "stories" are simply not taken seriously. If I were a parent considering a program, this would be a huge red flag for me.

I'd rather have my kid be a slacker or malcontent who is at least still alive, than a kid who had been coerced to "confront his bad attitude" to the point of death.

Brendan James Blum

THE WHOLE SYSTEM IS CORRUPT I HOPE THERE IS A GOOD JUDGE ALIVE.....SOMEWHERE.... :on phone:

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
          Re: Brendan James Blum's death @ Youth Care Inc.
          « Reply #29 on: July 29, 2010, 06:53:24 PM »

Brendan James Blum

There goes, "Mr. Extremist Extraordinare" on his :soapbox: again.

Ursus were you bored today. Not much action in the last few days, is this your way of getting the juices flowing.
              Stand and fight, till there is no more.