Author Topic: Aspen Education's Systematic Child Abuse  (Read 14200 times)

Offline Dysfunction Junction

• View Profile
Re: Aspen Education's Systematic Child Abuse
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2010, 01:12:17 PM »
Hmmmm...no link or quote from the State.  That's what I thought.  Just Aspen PR spin.  For aforementioned reasons, that's not good enough.  

We'll need to see an official press release from Oregon DHS or a revised statement of charges against MBA.  I'm sure Whooter has it.  We can wait for him to post it but the mods should clean up the repetitive posting of the Aspen PR spam he keeps putting up.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Compassion is the basis of morality."

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2010, 01:14:45 PM »
lol

Link

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2010, 01:16:21 PM »
Quote from: "Whooter"
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"
Whooter, that's nothing more than a press release from Aspen Ed.  I'm asking you for the original citation where you say that the State 'revised' their original statement.  Can you or can you not provide that?

A statement from Phil Herschman, President of Aspen Education Group, on behalf of Mount Bachelor Academy:

We are pleased that the ongoing legal dispute between Mount Bachelor Academy (MBA) and the State of Oregon Department of Human Services (DHS) has finally been satisfactorily resolved. The DHS has agreed to withdraw or modify all of its actions against MBA and MBA’s former director. The DHS’ withdrawal of its order suspending MBA’s license supports our position that they did not have justification for that order in the first place. The DHS has acknowledged with this settlement that in fact there was additional evidence no abuse had occurred.

As we have repeatedly stated throughout this process, our fundamental disagreements with the DHS' original allegations and consequent actions were strong and deep. We had collected abundant evidence that disproved those allegations, particularly the most egregious ones.

Despite the tragic circumstances of Mount Bachelor’s closure, we hope to open a new, even more successful school on the MBA campus in the future, and wish to publicly thank our skilled and dedicated employees who touched the lives of thousands of troubled teens for more than two decades at MBA, and the loyal alumni and families who steadfastly supported us.

If you read the newspaper article it covers what the state of Oregon had to say on MBA and what Aspen Ed had to say in the same article.  I have to go with what the news media in Oregon reported on the issue for now.  If you want to believe something else that is fine. I am just reporting the facts and I provided links to support my point of view.

No, you're not.  You're stating your opinion and trying to back it up by quoting a press release from Aspen Ed.  

Where's the statement from the State of Oregon saying they're backing off their claims?????
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
No abuse found at MBA
« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2010, 01:20:53 PM »
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 05:35:58 PM by Whooter »

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2010, 02:47:36 PM »
In other words, you have no such statement form Oregon DHS.  You made it up like you do everything else.

Reminder: MBA is CLOSED.  If they did nothing wrong, they would be OPEN and the winners of a big lawsuit to boot.

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2010, 02:54:45 PM »
Quote from: "Dysfunction Junction"
In other words, you have no such statement form Oregon DHS.  You made it up like you do everything else.

Reminder: MBA is CLOSED.  If they did nothing wrong, they would be OPEN and the winners of a big lawsuit to boot.

No way, the bad press did damage to MBA's name.  If they reopen I would imagine they would do so under a new name.  But I wouldn't expect that to happen until the economy turns around they still have open beds in the other facilities.  Again read the news article and decide for yourself.  If you feel differently that what is written then you have that right.  But personally I am going with what the paper reported on this matter.

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2010, 02:58:20 PM »
Translation: "I'm talking out of my ass and have no source documents."

Thanks for playing.  Come back when you have some value to add.  We can wait for you to post documents originating from DHS that prove your point.  Until then, you're just the same old source with no credibility.  Sorry.  Source documents or it never happened.

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2010, 03:03:31 PM »
Here is the link to the article that I have formed my opinion on and base my argument on:

Link

Everyone is free to interpret it as they will.  But in my opinion it is important to get the facts out to the readers and let them decide for themselves.  I think we can all agree with this.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
No abuse found at MBA, new school eyed
« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2010, 05:37:22 PM »
I am not sure what marketing material you are talking about.  What I was quoting came from a newspaper article.  This one here:

Link to News article

Each side made a statement which is customary

Erinn Kelley-Siel, Director of Children, Adults and Families at Oregon Department of Human Services (DHS) made a statement and then Phil Herschman, President of Aspen Education Group made a statement.  How can ErinnSiels response be okay to post but not Phil Herschmans?

I think the problem is that Troll Control does not like this part of the article:

We are pleased that the ongoing legal dispute between Mount Bachelor Academy (MBA) and the State of Oregon Department of Human Services (DHS) has finally been satisfactorily resolved. The DHS has agreed to withdraw or modify all of its actions against MBA and MBA’s former director. The DHS’ withdrawal of its order suspending MBA’s license supports our position that they did not have justification for that order in the first place. The DHS has acknowledged with this settlement that in fact there was additional evidence no abuse had occurred.

As we have repeatedly stated throughout this process, our fundamental disagreements with the DHS' original allegations and consequent actions were strong and deep. We had collected abundant evidence that disproved those allegations, particularly the most egregious ones.

Despite the tragic circumstances of Mount Bachelor’s closure, we hope to open a new, even more successful school on the MBA campus in the future, and wish to publicly thank our skilled and dedicated employees who touched the lives of thousands of troubled teens for more than two decades at MBA, and the loyal alumni and families who steadfastly supported us.

But I think it is important to look at both sides and focus on what the outcome of the investigation was.  I think this makes for a good discussion and debate.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2010, 11:11:44 AM »
Whooter, that's nothing more than a press release from Aspen Ed.  I'm asking you for the original citation where you say that the State 'revised' their original statement.  Can you or can you not provide that?

A statement from Phil Herschman, President of Aspen Education Group, on behalf of Mount Bachelor Academy:

If you read the newspaper article it covers what the state of Oregon had to say on MBA and what Aspen Ed had to say in the same article.  I have to go with what the news media in Oregon reported on the issue for now.  If you want to believe something else that is fine. I am just reporting the facts and I provided links to support my point of view.
No, you're not.  You're stating your opinion and trying to back it up by quoting a press release from Aspen Ed.  

Where's the statement from the State of Oregon saying they're backing off their claims?????
Here's the pertinent thread; it contains the article that Whooter linked to above:

DHS, Mount Bachelor Academy Settle Case · viewtopic.php?f=48&t=31526[/list]
    -------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
    « Reply #85 on: December 04, 2010, 05:34:34 PM »
    Some feedback regarding the MBA settlement:

"It is gratifying to see the settlement in which DHS admits what we parents knew all along - the state caused a completely unecessary disruption of a unique and successful school community by acting precipitiously and without gathering all of the facts first," Povich told NewsChannel 21.

"The state went off half-cocked," Povich added. "I hope especially that this settlement will mean that no other school will be subjected in the future to similar callous treatment by DHS."

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    « Reply #86 on: December 04, 2010, 06:08:46 PM »
    Some feedback regarding the MBA settlement:

"It is gratifying to see the settlement in which DHS admits what we parents knew all along - the state caused a completely unecessary disruption of a unique and successful school community by acting precipitiously and without gathering all of the facts first," Povich told NewsChannel 21.

"The state went off half-cocked," Povich added. "I hope especially that this settlement will mean that no other school will be subjected in the future to similar callous treatment by DHS."
    Wasn't that a pro-MBA parent quoted within the article, possibly even a solicited opinion, as opposed to feedback to the news after it came out?

Just wanna make sure we're all being clear here...  :D
    -------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
    No abuse found at MBA, new school eyed
    « Reply #87 on: December 04, 2010, 07:06:48 PM »
    It was part of the original report (Within the article) as defined by the news article which had statements from Aspen Education as well as statements from DHS of Oregon.  This was a response from a  journalist who had a child in MBA.

Here is a link to where the quote was taken:

Link

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
    « Reply #88 on: December 06, 2010, 09:43:37 AM »
    So, here's what DHS actually said......

Erinn Kelley-Siel, Director of Children, Adults and Families at Oregon Department of Human Services (DHS) released the following statement today (Friday) re: settlement agreement between DHS and Mount Bachelor Academy (MBA), Aspen Education Group, CRC Health Group and former MBA executive director Sharon Bitz:

DHS takes its responsibility to the vulnerable young people enrolled in state-licensed programs, such as Mount Bachelor Academy (MBA), very seriously. Our first priority is to ensure the safety of Oregon children and youth.

In November, 2009, following a comprehensive investigation that revealed serious abuse and widespread violations of Oregon's licensing rules, DHS took immediate action to suspend MBA's license.

On September 28, following settlement negotiations with all parties, MBA acknowledged that, based on the evidence available to DHS on November 2, 2009, the agency had reasonable cause to believe that abuse or neglect occurred at the school, as uncovered in the investigation.

In addition, MBA agrees that DHS had a reasonable basis to investigate the allegations of abuse and neglect and to seek corrective actions. Mount Bachelor Academy is closed and, by all accounts, will remain closed. Finally, the school and its parent corporations, as well as Ms. Bitz will dismiss all related legal actions.

Therapeutic Boarding Schools provide valuable programs and services to children and families in Oregon, and we are fortunate to have laws and rules in place that allow the state to regulate the health and safety of youth in these schools.

Nowhere in there does it say that they've backed off of their findings.
    traight, St. Pete, early 80s
    AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
    « Reply #89 on: December 06, 2010, 09:48:08 AM »
    Keep Reading,In the same article Aspen says: