Treatment Abuse, Behavior Modification, Thought Reform > Facility Question and Answers

Ruth Home of Compassion

(1/3) > >>

ruthhomevictim:
:soapbox:  I am in search of anyone who was in the home the years of 1981 to 1983 when it was closed... I know it's been a long time ago but I just found out it was closed down!!! Wow. I want to talk if you are out there and willing to correspond. Lots of baggage to share!!! lol :flame:

Ursus:

--- Quote from: "ruthhomevictim" ---I am in search of anyone who was in the home the years of 1981 to 1983 when it was closed... I know it's been a long time ago but I just found out it was closed down!!! Wow. I want to talk if you are out there and willing to correspond. Lots of baggage to share!!! lol :flame:
--- End quote ---
You might also be interested in the following threads and posts:

* ruths home of compassion
* Ruth Home Survivor 1982
* anyone know where I can find this article by Rhonda Cook?
* Missing homepages - Link?
* post in Bethesda Home for Girls

Lea1:
I was at the Ruth home of compassion from 1983 (Dec.) until 1985 (spring).  The home was open at least until then.  I found out it had closed in the year or so after I left.  The most important thing I learned since leaving there was that God is not at all how they portrayed Him.  He's not some big meanie waiting to stomp us like a bug.  He truly does love us.  The one good thing I took away from that place was a knowledge of His Word.

Che Gookin:
Hard to believe god exists in a place like that. I prefer to visualize him as existing over the top of it wishing he was the vengeful god of old so he could stomp the place like a cockroach.

Lea1:
As I said, the Ruth Home of Compassion was at least open until 1985 when I left there.  'Aunt Dot and Uncle Bert' may have had legal trouble in 1983, but not to the point it was closed that year.  The girls who were there when i got there were Susie and Tika, Aunt Dot's right and left arms, and many others.  Here are the ones I remember: Lorraine, two named Kathy (or Cathy), Samantha and that's about all I can remember.  Of course, Colleen lived in the house next to the 'home'.  
I remember Samantha well.  And Susie, as she was mannered very much like a pit bull, and given free reign to cause us agony.
The girls who went there were, for the most part, broken before they ever showed up at the door.  But being there had a way of making one's spirit crumble because of the treatment.  Once I left, I had nightmares for months, waking up in horror, thinking I was still there.  It was a confinement not only from the outside world, but a prison of fear.  Not allowed to talk to each other except 'yes maam' to the group leader, not allowed to shower except once a week, three squares of toilet paper for 'number 1', six squares of toilet paper for 'number 2'. Timed showers (was it two or three minutes?), on our knees sweeping or scrubbing carpet, not allowed to eat on Wednesdays, having to eat cereal with weevils in it or get beat,  and forced to go into God's house, of all places and pretend things were fine.  
Who could forget the lie we had to sing?  "I'm glad to be a Ruth HOme Girl, there's no other I'd rather be, living a life for Jesus, with my happy family, we are taught about the Bible, cause we know that's the only way, So I'm glad to be at the Ruth Home today....."
Now let me emphasize here....God is Holy, Sovreign, Creator, Ruler, AND God is love, something we were NEVER taught there.  God loved each one of us before we were born, and loves us still.  Why did He allow those people to hurt and abuse us? I don't know.  But He LOVES us Ruth Home Girls.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version