Author Topic: Masters of Social Work  (Read 1539 times)

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Masters of Social Work
« on: July 07, 2010, 10:03:24 AM »
Ok... My long term plans call for me getting an MSW. The problem I'm having is finding a BSW program that is both online and affordable. The tuition rates for the one I found with the University of Texas is damn near ruinous. As I can't afford the Bachelor's of Social Work, I'm pondering trying my hand at two other possible degrees.

Now, before yall ask why I have to get another damn degree let me explain. I have to get another degree as my graduating GPA with my original degree is piss weak and no reputable program would touch me with a ten foot pole. Now whether I have to do a full degree or just enough coursework to prove I'm not an idiot is up to debate. I'm still looking into that, but for now I'd like to know what area I should look into.

So.. My question, for those of you who actually know, not those of your who are fucking morons who like to talk shit about shit they don't know but read out of a reader's digest.. My question is will a degree in Criminal Justice or Sociology and a couple decent years of experience satisfy the requirements needed to get into a decent MSW program?

I'm looking at CJ as the community corrections field has always interested me. Diverting people out of the system is something I wouldn't mind doing.  There is absolutely no way I'd ever want to work in a prison. My best friend works in one and the stories he's told me are enough to turn a black man into a lilly white cracker boy. There are other avenues though and I'm looking at them carefully.

Sociology just seems like a lameass degree, but if gets me into an MSW program I'm for it.

So will either of them satisfy the requirements for an MSW programme?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Re: Masters of Social Work
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 10:20:11 AM »
Quote from: "che Gookin"
...will a degree in Criminal Justice or Sociology and a couple decent years of experience satisfy the requirements needed to get into a decent MSW program?

Under normal circumstances, absolutely.  Sociology is actually a pretty interesting curriculum, though.  I wouldn't say it's exactly "lame ass."
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 11:31:22 AM »
Interesting yes, but lameass for me in the sense that a CJ degree would be more readily applicable for my investment right out of the gate. And what do you mean normal circumstances?

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 11:43:41 AM »
You know, GPA over 2.5, etc.  Academic reasons.  And, yes, CJ will get you working right away as well whereas sociology will just make you more well-rounded with near zero potential to earn.
The Linchpin Link

**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 01:28:10 PM »
Oh if you only  knew how many soc majors I've stumbled across in Asia who are toiling away at teaching ESL. Here's hoping the government doesn't go on a spree to start cutting community corrections then.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 07:52:39 PM »
It depends on whether you want to work internationally i think. I know that the UK requires a proper social work degree or a masters in it but they have several recruitment firms looking for internationals to do it. I am doing a MA in social work now and this will enable me to work here or in the UK canada the US and most other similar western countries.
Sociology is a bit more theoretical. More like something you would do as an undergrad like poli sci. It is the study of cultures and issues like class, religion etc. It is interesting but not really a practical second degree kind of thing. By contrast social work is more practical. Like last semester i studied trauma and grief and loss counselling. This semester i am doing public social policy. There is also a prac/field placement that involves working in the industry. Any social work degree or masters worth its salt has this element.
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 10:14:48 PM »
Would an MSW enable me to work in Australia?

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 01:18:04 AM »
I think so. Given that the converse seems to be true. Sometimes a bridging course is required but i think that is more for if english is not your first language. These guys are the main body that Australian social workers pay membership to. But they also answer inquiries. My understanding is that the difficult thing is passing the skills migration test to get into the country. If they recognize your degree i assume you are OK.
http://www.aasw.asn.au/whatwedo/interna ... ifications
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 11:02:05 AM »
Another practical consideration would be that an MSW allows you to receive thrid party compensation (i.e., from insurance companies) whereas an MA in psychology would not.  An MSW is considered a terminal degree.
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control