Author Topic: Academy at Sisters  (Read 66944 times)

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
Re: Academy at Sisters
« Reply #390 on: August 25, 2010, 02:41:54 PM »
?I know that it is kind of personal, but are we talking of aftermath of a divorce here? The facility boast that they can work wonders for the parent who have custody.

How we can help: Children of Divorce

Sometime when a step-parent enters the life of a teenager and the birth-parent let the step-parent enforce rules against the advice given by any professional, the teenager can think that the grass is greener over at the other birth-parent. Then some boarding school provide a service where they can isolate the teenager for the benefit of the parent who has custody and use the time is isolation to alienate the teenager against the non-custodial parent.

I found another comment from a mother backup their presence in this kind of activity.

Like Joyce my daughter was put in the Academy at Sisters by her father. I fought in the courts to get her out but these places will lie and turn the kids against the parent trying to protect them. They are cults. The staff is untrained, frequently are "survivors" of these programs who can't make it in the real world and they makes decisions about these kids that can impact their futures. The accreditation organization (NATSAP) is a joke-a paper tiger. They have standards these places agree to follow such as having a grievance procedure for the students and allowing a "diversity" of opinion but there are no consequences for non-compliance. It's amazing that more training and licensing is required for someone to cut my hair or do a manicure than is required for someone working with troubled youth.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Pile of Dead Kids

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 25, 2010, 06:21:28 PM »
From the looks of things, the program doesn't even want her anymore.

Can't possibly fathom why.
...Sergey Blashchishen, James Shirey, Faith Finley, Katherine Rice, Ashlie Bunch, Brendan Blum, Caleb Jensen, Alex Cullinane, Rocco Magliozzi, Elisa Santry, Dillon Peak, Natalynndria Slim, Lenny Ortega, Angellika Arndt, Joey Aletriz, Martin Anderson, James White, Christening Garcia, Kasey Warner, Shirley Arciszewski, Linda Harris, Travis Parker, Omega Leach, Denis Maltez, Kevin Christie, Karlye Newman, Richard DeMaar, Alexis Richie, Shanice Nibbs, Levi Snyder, Natasha Newman, Gracie James, Michael Owens, Carlton Thomas, Taylor Mangham, Carnez Boone, Benjamin Lolley, Jessica Bradford's unnamed baby, Anthony Parker, Dysheka Streeter, Corey Foster, Joseph Winters, Bruce Staeger, Kenneth Barkley, Khalil Todd, Alec Lansing, Cristian Cuellar-Gonzales, Janaia Barnhart, a DRA victim who never even showed up in the news, and yet another unnamed girl at Summit School...

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
on Whooter's methods of propaganda
« Reply #392 on: August 25, 2010, 07:06:05 PM »
Quote from: "Whooter"
Quote from: "Paul St. John"
If you opened a food establishment of any type, would you hire employees of an establishment known for poisoning people, and feel completely like all is well, and good, because in your new establishment, poisoning people is not part of the new system that you have trained them in?
I don’t think many establishments would have a problem hiring these people.  What you don’t seem to understand is that people don’t generally wake up each morning with the intent and desire to harm others.  If the restaurant were harming or poisoning people then it is probably embedded in their process somewhere.  Each establishment has a different process which they dictate and control (not the employees).

The fallacy in your argument is that you assume that all the people programs hire are evil by nature.
The fallacy in your argument, Whooter, is that you introduce a new premise (despite attributing its insertion to Paul), namely that Paul "assume that all the people programs hire are evil by nature." You then subsequently attempt to win your propaganda war by pointing out the inherent illogic in said introduced premise.

I don't think anyone is trying to convince readers that programs only hire evil people. Certainly, I fail to discern it in Paul's post above. And yet, here ya are, trying to convince folks that that is just what was said...

I call ... fail.  :D
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Pile of Dead Kids

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 25, 2010, 07:10:25 PM »
Programs don't only hire evil people; sometimes they make mistakes.
...Sergey Blashchishen, James Shirey, Faith Finley, Katherine Rice, Ashlie Bunch, Brendan Blum, Caleb Jensen, Alex Cullinane, Rocco Magliozzi, Elisa Santry, Dillon Peak, Natalynndria Slim, Lenny Ortega, Angellika Arndt, Joey Aletriz, Martin Anderson, James White, Christening Garcia, Kasey Warner, Shirley Arciszewski, Linda Harris, Travis Parker, Omega Leach, Denis Maltez, Kevin Christie, Karlye Newman, Richard DeMaar, Alexis Richie, Shanice Nibbs, Levi Snyder, Natasha Newman, Gracie James, Michael Owens, Carlton Thomas, Taylor Mangham, Carnez Boone, Benjamin Lolley, Jessica Bradford's unnamed baby, Anthony Parker, Dysheka Streeter, Corey Foster, Joseph Winters, Bruce Staeger, Kenneth Barkley, Khalil Todd, Alec Lansing, Cristian Cuellar-Gonzales, Janaia Barnhart, a DRA victim who never even showed up in the news, and yet another unnamed girl at Summit School...

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Academy at Sisters, 'New Perspectives' (May, 2007)
« Reply #394 on: August 25, 2010, 07:30:01 PM »
Here's a 'New Perspectives' from Struggling Teens from about three years ago:

New Perspectives
Posted: May 13, 2007, 12:24

ACADEMY AT SISTERS

Bend, Oregon
Chesley Strowd
800-910-0412
http://www.academyatsisters.org

(Although Academy at Sisters is not a new program, we have never written a New Perspectives on them.)

Academy at Sisters is a small boarding school for teen girls ages 13 thru 18. Located at the base of the Three Sisters Mountains in Oregon, the Academy is tucked into the lodge pole pines at the bottom of the Cascade Mountains. The typical student profile may include at-risk girls who have run away, chosen poor peer relationships, have poor boundaries, have difficulty in school with truancy or learning disorders, have ADD and/or ADHD, have drug or alcohol issues or anger issues, or young women who have put themselves in dangerous situations and are beyond parental control.

The Academy offers a "personal growth program in tandem with academic requirements". Using the "Cognitive Behavior Therapy model, the cognitive structure shapes attitudes, values and belief systems which in turn reinforces cognitive structure and determines behavior". The clients are provided with weekly therapeutic groups with a minimum of one individual counseling session per week. Accredited by the Northwest Association of Accredited Schools and registered with the Oregon Department of Education, the Academy has year round school, operating on a system of five terms annually with a spring, summer and holiday recess.

With the wilderness areas so close, Central Oregon provides a backdrop for the young women to participate in "team building exercises" along with many challenging and recreational activities which include rock climbing, river rafting, skiing, camping, hiking and canoeing. On campus they offer soccer, sand volleyball, court sports and an extensive Equestrian program.

Copyright © 2010, Woodbury Reports, Inc.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Betsy Jacobson-Warren, formerly of Academy at Sisters
« Reply #395 on: October 09, 2010, 05:48:40 PM »
EdCon Dore Frances would appear to be quite cozy with the Academy at Sisters. Former Academy Director Betsy Jacobson-Warren also became an EdCon, and went to work with Frances 'bout five years ago:

JACOBSON-WARREN/ FRANCES PARTNERS

(May 28, 2005) Dore E. Frances, Educational Consultant, Bend, OR, 208-667-9098, announced that Betsy Jacobson-Warren, Bend, OR, 541-598-0550, has joined her team as an educational consultant. Prior to joining Dore Frances, Betsy was the Director of The Academy at Sisters in Bend, OR, for 10 years.[/list]

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
    Re: on Whooter's methods of propaganda
    « Reply #396 on: October 09, 2010, 06:22:08 PM »
    Quote from: "Ursus"
    If you opened a food establishment of any type, would you hire employees of an establishment known for poisoning people, and feel completely like all is well, and good, because in your new establishment, poisoning people is not part of the new system that you have trained them in?
    I don’t think many establishments would have a problem hiring these people.  What you don’t seem to understand is that people don’t generally wake up each morning with the intent and desire to harm others.  If the restaurant were harming or poisoning people then it is probably embedded in their process somewhere.  Each establishment has a different process which they dictate and control (not the employees).

The fallacy in your argument is that you assume that all the people programs hire are evil by nature.
    The fallacy in your argument, Whooter, is that you introduce a new premise (despite attributing its insertion to Paul), namely that Paul "assume that all the people programs hire are evil by nature." You then subsequently attempt to win your propaganda war by pointing out the inherent illogic in said introduced premise.

I don't think anyone is trying to convince readers that programs only hire evil people. Certainly, I fail to discern it in Paul's post above. And yet, here ya are, trying to convince folks that that is just what was said...

So if they are not "all" evil by nature than a staff member can leave an abusive program and easily move into a none abusive program with new procedures.  I think the point being made is if a program hires a staff member who use to work at CEDU it doesnt mean the new program becomes CEDU based.  The staff members would be working to new procedures and a current model.
    If McDonalds hires a guy that use to work at Burger King it doesnt mean that this new employee will be free to make Whoopers.  He will be required to work to a new procedure.

This discussion ended I believe because we got sidetracked with other issues.  It was good to review and conclude this.

Offline Dimonax

• View Profile
    « Reply #397 on: December 06, 2010, 03:46:43 AM »
    One thing that Teens in this situation should seriously consider is running down to the nearest recruiting office and enlisting. At 16, legally, your old enough to join up. Be it the Guard, Marine Corps., Army, Navy, whatever.
    They'll need to have a Diploma or a G.E.D., but the recruiters will usually help em out with that.

Once they've signed the dotted line, then legally their an adult and there's not much the parents can do about it. Of course they'll have to serve out the term of service, but if the postings on this site are any indication, that might be considerably shorter than a stay at one of these laughing academies.

I would suggest Morgan do that, she has to be close to 16 now. It'll be her own choice, and she'll get a hell of a lot better education than even a private school could provide. A college degree all paid for. etc...

Just something to consider.

Dimonax

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
    « Reply #398 on: December 06, 2010, 01:29:07 PM »
    Quote from: "Dimonax"
    One thing that Teens in this situation should seriously consider is running down to the nearest recruiting office and enlisting. At 16, legally, your old enough to join up. Be it the Guard, Marine Corps., Army, Navy, whatever.
    They'll need to have a Diploma or a G.E.D., but the recruiters will usually help em out with that.

Once they've signed the dotted line, then legally their an adult and there's not much the parents can do about it. Of course they'll have to serve out the term of service, but if the postings on this site are any indication, that might be considerably shorter than a stay at one of these laughing academies.

I would suggest Morgan do that, she has to be close to 16 now. It'll be her own choice, and she'll get a hell of a lot better education than even a private school could provide. A college degree all paid for. etc...

Dimonax

Thats a great idea.  I wasnt aware kids could do that at age 16.  A few months in boot camp typically would straighten out any issues the child may have with accountability, responsibility, weight issues etc..  This would also alleviate the need for the parents to dip into the retirement account.  I think this is what kids did prior to programs.

Offline Dysfunction Junction

• View Profile
    « Reply #399 on: December 06, 2010, 02:01:04 PM »

After replay, the call stands.
    "Compassion is the basis of morality."

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
    « Reply #400 on: December 06, 2010, 02:12:14 PM »
    Quote from: "Dysfunction Junction"

After replay, the call stands.

I think we agree!! You never had too much to say:

Link

Offline Dysfunction Junction

• View Profile
    « Reply #401 on: December 06, 2010, 02:27:32 PM »

And, should that fail, he breaks out the "You molest your own children" meme.
    "Compassion is the basis of morality."

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
    RP: Academy of Sister
    « Reply #402 on: December 06, 2010, 04:18:20 PM »
    Quote from: "Dimonax"

Dimonax

Thats a great idea.  I wasnt aware kids could do that at age 16.  A few months in boot camp typically would straighten out any issues the child may have with accountability, responsibility, weight issues etc..  This would also alleviate the need for the parents to dip into the retirement account.  I think this is what kids did prior to programs.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
    « Reply #403 on: December 06, 2010, 04:23:44 PM »
    Repeat post?
    traight, St. Pete, early 80s
    AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
    « Reply #404 on: January 10, 2011, 07:46:21 PM »
    Quote from: "Anne Bonney"
    Repeat post?

Okay, Anne one more time, but I could get flagged for flooding:

Dimonax

Link