Author Topic: Academy at Sisters  (Read 67578 times)

Offline MorganMDC

• View Profile
Re: Academy at Sisters
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2010, 10:01:07 PM »
Well, After having a nice long discussion with my mother, It seems this is going no where.
I asked her about if the program allowed me to contact family, friends, and listen to music, and have basic privileges, and she said, "Well, I asked, but the woman would not tell me. It looks as though that would be a no, because that's not what this is about. It's about staying in touch with the program, not the distractions, and not allowing yourself to be in contact with who you were before.". When I asked her if she had heard any of the negatives or positives to this program, she hadn't even researched it. "Why would these people lie to me?" exact quotes from mother, of course, "Once the kid writes back and tells her parents what's happening, the kid wouldn't stay in the program, right? If you told me what was going on when it was, I wouldn't keep you in the program."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Quote from: \"Nihilanthic\"
I\'m skeletor. I\'m literally the worst person ever.

Skeletor; Depicted as a muscular blue humanoid with a purple hood over his yellowing bare-bone skull.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2010, 10:09:03 PM »
Some information which may help:

They have a very strong and professional treatment team that seems geared towards developing each childs individual strengths as well as their personal needs.  There are plenty of people to look out for the children as well as independent licensed Clinical Psychologists.

The Academy at Sisters Treatment Team consists of Case Managers, Clinical Director/Licensed Clinical Psychologist, Teacher(s), Academic Director, Operations Director and Executive Director.  To take advantage of the unified team talent and to ensure consistency throughout the process, the Treatment Team meets weekly to discuss the individual needs of each girl and the overall group dynamics, as well as make important treatment decisions as a Team.

Upon admission, each student is assigned a personal Case Manager. The Case Manager’s responsibility is to make sure that all components of treatment (therapeutic, academic, familial, community, safety, and self) are being utilized effectively. They provide weekly one-to-one sessions for each student on their caseload, participate in various on and off-campus activities, carry out weekly family conferences, facilitate weekly groups, and continually evaluate all facets of the girls’ individual treatment plans with the oversight of Dr. Julie Schneider, Licensed Clinical Psychologist. This ensures that the individual’s program is addressing her most immediate needs and reinforcing positive changes.

The Academy has built a strong Clinical Support Team within the community utilizing the services of a local Board Certified Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist for medication management; a Behavioral Consultant; and Licensed Therapists for additional support as needed.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 10:10:28 PM by Whooter »

Offline Pile of Dead Kids

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2010, 10:09:42 PM »
Quote from: "MorganMDC"
and not allowing yourself to be in contact with who you were before

In other words, your mother quite literally hates who you are.

Did you know this, Daniel?
...Sergey Blashchishen, James Shirey, Faith Finley, Katherine Rice, Ashlie Bunch, Brendan Blum, Caleb Jensen, Alex Cullinane, Rocco Magliozzi, Elisa Santry, Dillon Peak, Natalynndria Slim, Lenny Ortega, Angellika Arndt, Joey Aletriz, Martin Anderson, James White, Christening Garcia, Kasey Warner, Shirley Arciszewski, Linda Harris, Travis Parker, Omega Leach, Denis Maltez, Kevin Christie, Karlye Newman, Richard DeMaar, Alexis Richie, Shanice Nibbs, Levi Snyder, Natasha Newman, Gracie James, Michael Owens, Carlton Thomas, Taylor Mangham, Carnez Boone, Benjamin Lolley, Jessica Bradford's unnamed baby, Anthony Parker, Dysheka Streeter, Corey Foster, Joseph Winters, Bruce Staeger, Kenneth Barkley, Khalil Todd, Alec Lansing, Cristian Cuellar-Gonzales, Janaia Barnhart, a DRA victim who never even showed up in the news, and yet another unnamed girl at Summit School...

Offline Pile of Dead Kids

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2010, 10:10:51 PM »
Whooter keeps on talking, I'm going to keep on posting this screenshot.

And of course the bulk of the psychological professionals they listed *don't actually work at the facility*, as I mentioned earlier.
...Sergey Blashchishen, James Shirey, Faith Finley, Katherine Rice, Ashlie Bunch, Brendan Blum, Caleb Jensen, Alex Cullinane, Rocco Magliozzi, Elisa Santry, Dillon Peak, Natalynndria Slim, Lenny Ortega, Angellika Arndt, Joey Aletriz, Martin Anderson, James White, Christening Garcia, Kasey Warner, Shirley Arciszewski, Linda Harris, Travis Parker, Omega Leach, Denis Maltez, Kevin Christie, Karlye Newman, Richard DeMaar, Alexis Richie, Shanice Nibbs, Levi Snyder, Natasha Newman, Gracie James, Michael Owens, Carlton Thomas, Taylor Mangham, Carnez Boone, Benjamin Lolley, Jessica Bradford's unnamed baby, Anthony Parker, Dysheka Streeter, Corey Foster, Joseph Winters, Bruce Staeger, Kenneth Barkley, Khalil Todd, Alec Lansing, Cristian Cuellar-Gonzales, Janaia Barnhart, a DRA victim who never even showed up in the news, and yet another unnamed girl at Summit School...

Offline MorganMDC

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2010, 10:13:10 PM »
Quote from: "Pile of Dead Kids"

That also came from the fucking academy in an e-mail to me, how peachy.

Skeletor; Depicted as a muscular blue humanoid with a purple hood over his yellowing bare-bone skull.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2010, 10:16:33 PM »

Pile, I wouldn't try to splinter the family any more than they are right now.  Turning everyone against each other never does any good.  The communication that Morgan has with her mother and father should be held open as much as possible.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2010, 10:23:23 PM »
Whooter keeps on talking, I'm going to keep on posting this screenshot.

And of course the bulk of the psychological professionals they listed *don't actually work at the facility*, as I mentioned earlier.

The screen shot is a great argument, Pile.  I dont mind discussing it with you.  You obviously feel people can become gay by hanging out with gay people or pedophiles by hanging out with pedophiles.  I think you are grossly misinformed about the facts and open discussions scare you.  This is obvious by your feeling threatened when people speak openly and discuss facts and differing points of view.

I am sorry you feel this way, but I dont think this is the thread to be discussing it.  We should try to stay on the topic of "Academy at Sisters".

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2010, 10:44:56 PM »

This is a good point, Pile.  Many people have argued, quite extensively here on fornits, that some programs were secretive and isolated themselves from the surrounding community thereby creating a culture where abuse could flourish and or kids could not make contact with the outside world.  As Pile has indicated a percentage of the professional staff come in from the surrounding community from their private practices which gives these professionals a daily look at the program, speak with the girls one-on-one and alleviates this concern that the program is too isolated.

When my daughter attended a therapeutic boarding school I felt a little at ease knowing she was seeing an independent therapist who was not paid by the school and who spoke directly to my daughter’s therapist at home.

Offline Vic Zealot

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2010, 12:42:25 AM »
Whooter, I really hate to get all serious business in my first post, but it seems that you're in this topic to make a scene, and after having done some research it seems this is how you roll, so I guess  :feedtrolls:

Living a few thousand miles away from OP, I can do nothing to help. On one hand I want to say "run away", but I know that if OP's father looks at this thread it will lose any credibility it may have had with any more of that in it.

What I think it's important to know is that this place itself is only a small part of a massive web of bullshit. The accreditation, the testimonials, the everything can be (and probably is) either gross fabrication or heavily "re-interpreted". Evil hides behind stock photos of smiling people and all-white backgrounds more often than drawings of pentagrams and all-black backgrounds.

Offline MorganMDC

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2010, 01:02:45 AM »
Quote from: "Vic Zealot"
Whooter, I really hate to get all serious business in my first post, but it seems that you're in this topic to make a scene, and after having done some research it seems this is how you roll, so I guess  :feedtrolls:

Living a few thousand miles away from OP, I can do nothing to help. On one hand I want to say "run away", but I know that if OP's father looks at this thread it will lose any credibility it may have had with any more of that in it.

What I think it's important to know is that this place itself is only a small part of a massive web of bullshit. The accreditation, the testimonials, the everything can be (and probably is) either gross fabrication or heavily "re-interpreted". Evil hides behind stock photos of smiling people and all-white backgrounds more often than drawings of pentagrams and all-black backgrounds.
It's lovely that this is the only site that has any speaking of this academy.
Where else is one to look?

Offline Paul St. John

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2010, 01:53:21 AM »
Quote from: "Whooter"
Some information which may help:

They have a very strong and professional treatment team that seems geared towards developing each childs individual strengths as well as their personal needs.  There are plenty of people to look out for the children as well as independent licensed Clinical Psychologists.

The Academy at Sisters Treatment Team consists of Case Managers, Clinical Director/Licensed Clinical Psychologist, Teacher(s), Academic Director, Operations Director and Executive Director.  To take advantage of the unified team talent and to ensure consistency throughout the process, the Treatment Team meets weekly to discuss the individual needs of each girl and the overall group dynamics, as well as make important treatment decisions as a Team.

Upon admission, each student is assigned a personal Case Manager. The Case Manager’s responsibility is to make sure that all components of treatment (therapeutic, academic, familial, community, safety, and self) are being utilized effectively. They provide weekly one-to-one sessions for each student on their caseload, participate in various on and off-campus activities, carry out weekly family conferences, facilitate weekly groups, and continually evaluate all facets of the girls’ individual treatment plans with the oversight of Dr. Julie Schneider, Licensed Clinical Psychologist. This ensures that the individual’s program is addressing her most immediate needs and reinforcing positive changes.

The Academy has built a strong Clinical Support Team within the community utilizing the services of a local Board Certified Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist for medication management; a Behavioral Consultant; and Licensed Therapists for additional support as needed.

All a bunch of bullshit.

Whooter, it is easy for you to tell the girl not to be scared.  You are not the one going.  You are not a 15 year old girl, being forced into this shit.  You are very cozy behind your PC, spreading your heartless propaganda- just another day.

Paul

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2010, 02:00:03 AM »
Quote from: "Vic Zealot"
Yup. And this industry has been nurtured and bred in a society that's been fed a steady diet — via the media, the foci of the "experts," governmental mandates, advertising, etc. — that pathologizes any but the most conformist of adolescences. Small wonder then, that parents believe there's "something wrong that can be fixed" with their kid, when they get that message coming from all directions.

At this point in time, this cultural mindset seems to be unique to the U.S. You hear from posters in other countries that this kind of stuff just isn't going on there, certainly not to the pervasive degree that it is here.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Paul St. John

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2010, 02:09:32 AM »
Well, After having a nice long discussion with my mother, It seems this is going no where.
I asked her about if the program allowed me to contact family, friends, and listen to music, and have basic privileges, and she said, "Well, I asked, but the woman would not tell me. It looks as though that would be a no, because that's not what this is about. It's about staying in touch with the program, not the distractions, and not allowing yourself to be in contact with who you were before.". When I asked her if she had heard any of the negatives or positives to this program, she hadn't even researched it.

Well, the negative is underlined above.. a negative which to me, nullifies any positives.

"Why would these people lie to me?" exact quotes from mother, of course, "Once the kid writes back and tells her parents what's happening, the kid wouldn't stay in the program, right? If you told me what was going on when it was, I wouldn't keep you in the program."

Even if you reported the bad things.. None of them sound that bad in and of themselves.  Everything changes once you give up your control.  It all becomes for therapeutic reasons.  There is an excuse for everything, and they are excellent salesman.

Unfortunately, I don t have a solution for you.  It is difficult for me to tell a 15 year old to embrace a life on the streets. That could certainly end up being worse for you.

Is there no one in your family who really loves you.. will fight for you?

You can t be afraid to take advantage of all resources you have here.  Your mother told you flat out, that the intention of this place is to rid you of your identity.  It is your identity that is on the line.  What are you willing to do for it?  This is a fight you are going to have to win. And with the best results possible.

After that, just get to 18..lol.. You re mother sounds a bit broken.  You need to get out on your own.  One way or another, you have rough shit ahead, and only you can make good of it, with strength and persistence.  I wish you the best.

Be strong.  Stay Focussed.

Paul St. John

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2010, 02:28:09 AM »
Megan, I suggest you ask your father what exactly they're trying to cure, and how this is going to do that. Seems extremely unmedical and unscientific given that there is no real diagnosis or prescribed treatment. Bad grades are best fixed with a tutor.

Or, for that matter, why they can condone holding you in conditions which wouldn't be considered acceptable for a convicted murder or a terrorist. They have access to lawyers - why can't programs allow children access to lawyers and legal advocates? Seems a bit fishy that you're disallowed a civil right given to terrorists.

Censored email is also hardly a lifeline to the outside - even if you could get a message out, it would hardly be a speedy rescue. I can't believe he'd think you could freely write mail considering they only allow calls with someone on their payroll with a thumb over the button.

What I'd also like to know is how an educated programmer would allow himself to cherry pick what information he exposes himself to. Seems to go against the spirit of the job he does. Why not know the truth, is it really better to just pretend you're right?  :lala:

There is a huge weight of information about what these places do and how they do it. There's absolutely no information supporting their claims of efficacy whatsoever. The GAO has reported to congress -twice- about this; the videos can be found on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr47O5OjC_A Why not check out the whole playlist?

I don't see how any educated, intelligent man - or a father- could possibly send a child off to a place without looking over the data about these places and seriously considering why they go so far to cut off contact between the child and their own family, and instead feed them their own well scripted lines.
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline juliechan

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2010, 03:21:18 AM »
Morgan direct your dad to this list of warning signs for abusive programs:
http://www.heal-online.org/warn.htm

It will be much more effective than emotional forums banter.