Author Topic: Staff charged with sexual assault at Three Rivers Center  (Read 3714 times)

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
Staff charged with sexual assault at Three Rivers Center
« on: June 06, 2010, 03:28:13 PM »
News - Crime & Courts
Thursday, Jun. 03, 2010
Man arrested in assault of girl at treatment center
Lexington County deputies on Thursday charged a 47-year-old man with sexually assaulting a 15-year-old girl while the girl was a patient at a residential treatment center near West Columbia.
Lexington County Sheriff James R. Metts said Frederick Gibbs, of 1316 Chevis St. in Columbia, is charged with second-degree criminal sexual conduct with a child under the age of 16.
Metts said that at about 4 a.m. April 3, a surveillance camera recorded Gibbs entering the girl’s room at Three Rivers Residential Treatment Services center. Metts said the girl did not invite Gibbs into the room and did not consent to have sex.
Gibbs worked at Three Rivers at the time, Metts said, but is no longer is employed at the facility, which provides psychiatric and behavioral treatment services for teen-age girls.
The charge carries a maximum punishment of 20 years in prison.
- From staff reports
Read more: http://www.thestate.com/2010/06/03/1315 ... z0q6OxKyk9
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Former Three Rivers worker charged...
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 06:06:18 PM »
wmbfNEWS.com
Former Three Rivers worker charged with sexually assaulting patient
Posted: Jun 03, 2010 12:41 PM | Updated: Jun 04, 2010 6:13 AM

By Ben Hoover

WEST COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - A former worker at the Three Rivers Residential Treatment Services Center in West Columbia has been charged with second-degree criminal sexual conduct against a patient, according to the Lexington County Sheriff's Department.

47-year-old Frederick Gibbs turned himself in Thursday after a warrant was issued for his arrest. He's accused of raping a 15-year-old patient at the facility, a psychiatric center for teens battling mental illness.

The South Carolina Department of Social Services reported the sexual assault to the sheriff's department.

Lexington County Sheriff's Department Major John Allard described the alleged April 3 incident. "You're asleep in your room at 4am and a man comes in and the next thing you know he's having sex with you," Allard said. "She did not invite him into the room, she did not consent to have sex with him."

When asked about what evidence investigators have in the case, Allard said, "we interviewed the victim. She gave a statement indicating this had occurred and we developed other evidence that came from the investigation." Allard would not say if a rape kit was administered to the victim.

Three Rivers Executive Director Michael Rooney said the center treats children for everything from scizophrenia to bipolar disorder. Rooney would not say what disorder the reported victim was seeking treatment for or give any details about Gibbs' employment at the facility.

A woman at the address listed for Gibbs on the incident report said Gibbs is a family man. She said Gibbs is married and has five children. The woman, who would not identify herself, believes Biggs is innocent.

"It's very disturbing when something like that happens because you're dealing with children who are already having issues that's why they're at that residential treatment facility," said Allard.

Three Rivers released a statement saying, "patient safety is our number one priority, and we quickly followed proper procedures in reporting and investigating this incident and took appropriate action to ensure all patient safety. It is unclear what happened in the short time the former staffer was in the patient's room, but we are cooperating fully with authorities."

The incident report says Three Rivers fired Gibbs because he violated the policy of entering a patient's room alone.

Gibbs is being held at the Lexington County Detention Center on a $110,000 bond. If convicted, he could face up to 20 years in prison.

Copyright 2010 WIS.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2010 WorldNow and WMBF, a  Raycom Media Station.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
Re: Former Three Rivers worker charged...
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 06:59:54 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
wmbfNEWS.com
Former Three Rivers worker charged with sexually assaulting patient
Posted: Jun 03, 2010 12:41 PM | Updated: Jun 04, 2010 6:13 AM

By Ben Hoover

WEST COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - A former worker at the Three Rivers Residential Treatment Services Center in West Columbia has been charged with second-degree criminal sexual conduct against a patient, according to the Lexington County Sheriff's Department.

47-year-old Frederick Gibbs turned himself in Thursday after a warrant was issued for his arrest. He's accused of raping a 15-year-old patient at the facility, a psychiatric center for teens battling mental illness.

The South Carolina Department of Social Services reported the sexual assault to the sheriff's department.

Lexington County Sheriff's Department Major John Allard described the alleged April 3 incident. "You're asleep in your room at 4am and a man comes in and the next thing you know he's having sex with you," Allard said. "She did not invite him into the room, she did not consent to have sex with him."

When asked about what evidence investigators have in the case, Allard said, "we interviewed the victim. She gave a statement indicating this had occurred and we developed other evidence that came from the investigation." Allard would not say if a rape kit was administered to the victim.

Three Rivers Executive Director Michael Rooney said the center treats children for everything from scizophrenia to bipolar disorder. Rooney would not say what disorder the reported victim was seeking treatment for or give any details about Gibbs' employment at the facility.

A woman at the address listed for Gibbs on the incident report said Gibbs is a family man. She said Gibbs is married and has five children. The woman, who would not identify herself, believes Biggs is innocent.

"It's very disturbing when something like that happens because you're dealing with children who are already having issues that's why they're at that residential treatment facility," said Allard.

Three Rivers released a statement saying, "patient safety is our number one priority, and we quickly followed proper procedures in reporting and investigating this incident and took appropriate action to ensure all patient safety. It is unclear what happened in the short time the former staffer was in the patient's room, but we are cooperating fully with authorities."

The incident report says Three Rivers fired Gibbs because he violated the policy of entering a patient's room alone.

Gibbs is being held at the Lexington County Detention Center on a $110,000 bond. If convicted, he could face up to 20 years in prison.

Copyright 2010 WIS.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2010 WorldNow and WMBF, a  Raycom Media Station.

Bravo cut his balls off, they have him on camera entering a 14yr old girls room at 4 am. Is he really staff (in a clinical sense) or just a night watchmen they are calling staff. He is probably nothing more then a night watchmen. At least they had cameras, working.
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Deputies: 15-Year-Old Sexually Assaulted at Treatment Center
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 12:18:33 PM »
wltx.com
Deputies: 15-Year-Old Sexually Assaulted at Treatment Center
Tony Santaella   James Gilbert
Created:  6/3/2010 3:18:58 PM  Updated: 6/4/2010 1:20:49 AM

Frederick Gibbs

Lexington County, SC (WLTX) - Lexington County deputies have arrested a man they say sexually assaulted a 15-year-old girl at the Three Rivers Treatment Center.

Frederick Gibbs, 47, of Columbia turned himself in Thursday afternoon. He's facing a charge of second-degree criminal sexual conduct with a child under the age of 16.

Thursday, a judge set bond for Gibbs at $110,000.

Deputies say the incident took place on April 3 at the Three Rivers Center located on Ermine Road.

According to deputies, Gibbs entered the teen patient's room at 4 a.m. After he was in the room, he had sex with her, which deputies say was not consensual.

"You have someone who already had problems is getting treatment, and in the course of getting treatment is victimized," said Major John Allard.

A surveillance camera recorded Gibbs going into the room, officers say.

At the time of the incident, Gibbs was working at the center.  He no longer works there. The center told investigators that workers are not supposed to enter rooms alone overnight.

The victim will now have to face the short and long term effects of the assault. "The trauma of sexual assault being such an extreme, similar to war and murder and other traumas such as that, you're going to see really extreme reactions," said Sexual Trauma Service's Ginny Waller.

Waller says sexual assault is all too common.

"Every four hours and 45 minutes someone in South Carolina is sexually assaulted. It happens all the time and it's something that doesn't surprise me it's happening in an institutional setting because that's where people have the opportunity to be taken advantage of," said Waller.

Three Rivers provides psychiatric and behavioral treatment for patients. The center issued the following statement Thursday night:

"At Three Rivers Residential Treatment Center, we take allegations of abuse very seriously. Patient safety is our No. 1 priority, and we quickly followed proper procedures in reporting and investigating this incident and took appropriate action to ensure all patient safety.

"It is unclear what happened in the short time the former staffer was in the patient's room, but we are cooperating fully with authorities. Federal privacy laws prevent us from discussing specific details about this ongoing investigation."

The South Carolina Department of Social Services reported the sexual assault to the Sheriff's Department, according to deputies.

If you're interested in speaking with someone at Sexual Trauma Services, they can be reached at 771-7273.

Copyright ©2010 wltx.com.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
Re: Staff charged with sexual assault at Three Rivers Center
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 12:28:29 PM »
wow, look at this stat from the article:

Every four hours and 45 minutes someone in South Carolina is sexually assaulted.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 12:45:43 PM »
Quote from: "Whooter"

Every four hours and 45 minutes someone in South Carolina is sexually assaulted.
Right. I'd include it as part of my signature, if I were you. Don't forget to include an updated version of your "Matrix," clearly showing that it could never happen in a program (even though it just did).

While you're at it, might as well include data for the total population of South Carolina vs. total population in programs in South Carolina.

But please don't forget to include a definition for "sexual assault." As we have seen in recent posts of yours, said definition can also include what amount to little more than off-color or overly suggestive remarks.

:D

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 01:19:02 PM »

Right. I'd include it as part of my signature, if I were you. Don't forget to include an updated version of your "Matrix," clearly showing that it could never happen in a program (even though it just did).

While you're at it, might as well include data for the total population of South Carolina vs. total population in programs in South Carolina.

But please don't forget to include a definition for "sexual assault." As we have seen in recent posts of yours, said definition can also include what amount to little more than off-color or overly suggestive remarks.

Why do facts and statistics upset you so much Ursus?  It was your own post I was quoting lol.  If the data from south Carolina was upsetting to you then you should not have posted it.

In response to your last statement:
The definition for Sexual assault was not my own.  The information I was posting had a “rebuttal” from the Department of Education indicating that Sexual Assault could be defined as anywhere from an off color remark to rape of a minor.  That is why they thought the numbers were so inflated.
I think you are skimming over things too quickly and not reading them.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 02:19:19 PM »

Why do facts and statistics upset you so much Ursus?  It was your own post I was quoting lol.  If the data from south Carolina was upsetting to you then you should not have posted it.
Was I upset? I don't think so! In fact, I was chuckling (note emoticon) over the fact that, once again, you seized an opportunity to call attention to extreme and sometimes exaggerated non-program abuse statistics. Usually you use these in an attempt to downplay the very real abuse which occurs and has occurred in programs.

What's even funnier is that you accused me of "being upset" for pointing it out. Every time someone paints you in a corner and you feel embarrassed at being outed, so to speak, you accuse the poster of "being upset." Lol. Classic attempt at turning the tables. And ... epic fail. Note number of emoticons:  :D  :D  :D

The definition for Sexual assault was not my own.  The information I was posting had a "rebuttal" from the Department of Education indicating that Sexual Assault could be defined as anywhere from an off color remark to rape of a minor.  That is why they thought the numbers were so inflated.
Did I say the definition for sexual assault was yours? Did anyone? No. You just posted select quotes from some panic-mongering (and subsequently roundly rebutted) article claiming that sexual abuse in public schools occurrs at the mind-boggling rate of TEN friggin' percent.

Of course, said definition of sexual abuse that the article relied upon to make those claims included, in addition to more conventional interpretations of the term, what amounted to little more than off-color or overly suggestive, and presumably unwelcome, remarks. It was your reliance on this definition to which I made reference above.

Methinks you best be taking yer own advice.

:D   :D  :D  :D   :D  :D  :D

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 02:49:47 PM »
Was I upset? I don't think so! In fact, I was chuckling (note emoticon) over the fact that, once again, you seized an opportunity to call attention to extreme and sometimes exaggerated non-program abuse statistics. Usually you use these in an attempt to downplay the very real abuse which occurs and has occurred in programs.

What's even funnier is that you accused me of "being upset" for pointing it out. Every time someone paints you in a corner and you feel embarrassed at being outed, so to speak, you accuse the poster of "being upset." Lol. Classic attempt at turning the tables. And ... epic fail. Note number of emoticons:  :D  :D  :D

The definition for Sexual assault was not my own.  The information I was posting had a "rebuttal" from the Department of Education indicating that Sexual Assault could be defined as anywhere from an off color remark to rape of a minor.  That is why they thought the numbers were so inflated.
Did I say the definition for sexual assault was yours? Did anyone? No. You just posted select quotes from some panic-mongering (and subsequently roundly rebutted) article claiming that sexual abuse in public schools occurrs at the mind-boggling rate of TEN friggin' percent.

Of course, said definition of sexual abuse that the article relied upon to make those claims included, in addition to more conventional interpretations of the term, what amounted to little more than off-color or overly suggestive, and presumably unwelcome, remarks. It was your reliance on this definition to which I made reference above.

Methinks you best be taking yer own advice.

:D   :D  :D  :D   :D  :D  :D

Yep!!! Projection!  It's kind of a barometer though.  You know you've gotten him when he pulls out the "sorry facts upset you" bullshit.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline photo man

• View Profile
The customer is the parent, the product is the child.
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 03:04:38 PM »
Quote from: "TheWho"
Psy Wrote:
Schools exist for the benefit of the customers, and customers have a right to demand accountability and oversight. They shouldn't have to ultimately... that's what state regulation is supposed to be for: so there is some authority making sure the kids aren't being abused, and their human rights are being respected.

Exactly, The customer is the parent, the product is the child.  The schools will respond primarily/initially to the needs of the parent not the child, although there is an assumption (made by the parents) that the child is protected from being abused and having their rights violated.  If the parents are not educated or know enough about the industry to understand what is needed for their child or they are being taken advantage of by the industry the state should be there, step in and advocate for that child.  There should be something in place to protect the child?s rights and insure no abuse is taking place.  As a minimum standard this should be true in any state.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
New Special Needs Requirement Jolts Lexington 2
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 05:51:56 PM »
Some of the local townsfolk were apparently up in arms last December, when SC lawmakers deemed it their responsibility to educate the students at Three Rivers Residential:

free-times · columbia's free weekly
Issue #22.49 :: 12/09/2009 - 12/15/2009

New Special Needs Requirement Jolts Lexington 2

BY AL DOZIER

S.C. lawmakers approved a proviso at the end of the last legislative session that has stirred up a hornet's nest in Lexington School District 2.

The legislation mandates that school districts in the state be responsible for educating students who are living in residential treatment facilities within their district.

Of a reported 738 students living in those facilities statewide, 80 are located in treatment centers in Lexington 2, the home of Three Rivers Residential Treatment Services in West Columbia.

Lexington 2, like many other school districts, is already strapped for resources because of budget cuts and can't begin to meet the task of educating those students, according to Superintendent Venus Holland.

"It's like a forced marriage," Holland said during a special board meeting Dec. 3.

Sen. Jake Knotts, R-Lexington, agrees.

"We've got to get it annulled," he says.

The entire Lexington County legislative delegation was invited to the board meeting, but Knotts was the only lawmaker present. Holland says several members of the delegation already had previous commitments when the meeting was announced, but some have been fully informed about the issue.

Many of the students at the residential treatment centers, some with severe psychiatric problems, require individualized instruction from teachers with specialized training.

Lexington 2 staffers say meeting the needs of those students would require the services of at least a dozen teachers with specialized skills.

Hiring a single teacher with those types of skills would cost approximately $60,000.

Another issue that concerns the district is that testing of those students will reflect on the district's annual report card, even though only three are actually residents of the district.

While the proviso states that districts will be compensated for the expenses, Lexington 2 officials say the state has not provided any revenue source. In fact, the dialogue between the state Department of Education and District 2 was portrayed as being somewhat contentious at times.

The state Department of Education referred questions to the South Carolina Department of Disabilities and Special Needs. A spokesperson for that agency did not respond to a phone call.

In the past, the for-profit residential care centers have put in their own education programs, then sought reimbursement from the state. But the providers apparently have had difficulty getting that reimbursement, prompting their push for the proviso.

Jake Moore, attorney for the district, says the requirements in the proviso should not have been put on local districts. Such a program should be administered by the state, as it does with group home services.

Knotts and Moore are considering new legislation that would place the responsibility for educating those students under the same provisions that now provide funding for group home students.

State Department of Education officials were scheduled to meet with Knotts and Lexington 2 officials this week for more discussion on the issue.

It will take a lot more deliberation.

--------------

Comments

Amazed December 29th, 2009 12:40pm
    Are they not citizens, and required to pay taxes, if they work as adults, or is it less expensive for Lexington County and the state of South Carolina to spend an estimated $35,000 for 70 years on a person not qualified to work? Oh, that is not counting medical care for the rest of their lives without any return investment --- because they will not be EDUCATED! Let's think about this progressively! I am amazed!

Copyright © 2010, Portico Publications

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Three Rivers is a part of Psychiatric Solutions, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 11:52:42 AM »
Three Rivers Behavioral Health is a part of the behavioral health conglomerate Psychiatric Solutions, Inc.. Here's a press release from when the acquisition was announced:

Psychiatric Solutions Acquires Three Rivers Behavioral Health

FRANKLIN, Tenn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 4, 2007--Psychiatric Solutions, Inc. ("PSI") (NASDAQ: PSYS) today announced the acquisition of Three Rivers Behavioral Health, an 86-bed inpatient psychiatric facility headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina. Three Rivers produced estimated revenue for 2006 of $12.2 million and recently was awarded a Certificate of Need for an additional 32 beds, which will make it the largest inpatient psychiatric facility in the state when the expansion is completed in the second half of 2007. Andy Hanner, a co-founder of Three Rivers and its Chief Executive Officer, has joined PSI as President of the South Carolina Division.

"It is a pleasure to announce the completion of our first acquisition for 2007," remarked Joey Jacobs, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer of PSI. "This transaction brings PSI a high quality facility with an outstanding staff that has recently initiated a substantial expansion. We are also pleased that Andy Hanner, co-founder and CEO of Three Rivers, has joined PSI as a division president. We are gaining an experienced professional who is intimately familiar with both this expansion and the market opportunities for further growth in South Carolina. We welcome Andy and the Three Rivers team to PSI.

"This transaction is representative of continuing opportunities to acquire attractive inpatient facilities that are leaders in their markets and that have significant opportunities for further profitable growth. Consistent with our growth strategies, we expect Three Rivers to be accretive to our financial results, and we intend to continue evaluating additional potential acquisition transactions."

This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of the "safe harbor" provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These forward-looking statements include statements other than those made solely with respect to historical fact and are based on the intent, belief or current expectations of PSI and its management. PSI's business and operations are subject to a variety of risks and uncertainties that might cause actual results to differ materially from those projected by any forward-looking statements. Factors that could cause such differences include, but are not limited to: (1) PSI's ability to successfully integrate Three Rivers and other recently acquired operations; (2) PSI's ability to complete the acquisition of Horizon Health Corporation and to successfully integrate the Horizon Health operations; (3) potential competition which alters or impedes PSI's acquisition strategy by decreasing PSI's ability to acquire additional inpatient facilities on favorable terms; (4) the ability of PSI to improve the operations of acquired inpatient facilities; (5) the ability to maintain favorable and continuing relationships with physicians who use PSI's facilities; (6) the ability to receive timely additional financing on terms acceptable to PSI to fund PSI's acquisition strategy and capital expenditure needs, including financing for the acquisition of Horizon Health; (7) risks inherent to the health care industry, including the impact of unforeseen changes in regulation, reimbursement rates from federal and state health care programs or managed care companies and exposure to claims and legal actions by patients and others; and (8) PSI's ability to comply with applicable licensure and accreditation requirements. The forward-looking statements herein are qualified in their entirety by the risk factors set forth in PSI's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. PSI undertakes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise. Readers should not place undue reliance on forward-looking statements, which reflect management's views only as of the date hereof.

PSI offers an extensive continuum of behavioral health programs to critically ill children, adolescents and adults through its operation of 75 owned or leased freestanding psychiatric inpatient facilities with more than 8,000 beds in 29 states, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. PSI also manages freestanding psychiatric inpatient facilities for government agencies and psychiatric inpatient units within medical/surgical hospitals owned by others.

Brent Turner, 615-312-5700
Executive Vice President, Finance and Administration

SOURCE: Psychiatric Solutions, Inc.

© 2009 Psychiatric Solutions, Inc.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Psychiatric Solutions, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 12:15:18 PM »
See also: PSYCHIATRIC SOLUTIONS INC - FORM 10-K - EX-21.1 - February 25, 2010 for pertinent financial details, etc. etc. ...