Author Topic: Glenhaven Academy or Walden Street School  (Read 7752 times)

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
Re: Glenhaven Academy or Walden Street School
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 12:18:30 AM »
Quote from: "SUCK IT"
bullshit

glad to see you came to post here and tell us about how well it worked for you that you're googling it  :sue:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Pile of Dead Kids

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 12:19:55 AM »
The truth is any kid can benefit from being placed in treatment. Tough love is nothing more than helping a kid to grow up into an adult.

...Sergey Blashchishen, James Shirey, Faith Finley, Katherine Rice, Ashlie Bunch, Brendan Blum, Caleb Jensen, Alex Cullinane, Rocco Magliozzi, Elisa Santry, Dillon Peak, Natalynndria Slim, Lenny Ortega, Angellika Arndt, Joey Aletriz, Martin Anderson, James White, Christening Garcia, Kasey Warner, Shirley Arciszewski, Linda Harris, Travis Parker, Omega Leach, Denis Maltez, Kevin Christie, Karlye Newman, Richard DeMaar, Alexis Richie, Shanice Nibbs, Levi Snyder, Natasha Newman, Gracie James, Michael Owens, Carlton Thomas, Taylor Mangham, Carnez Boone, Benjamin Lolley, Jessica Bradford's unnamed baby, Anthony Parker, Dysheka Streeter, Corey Foster, Joseph Winters, Bruce Staeger, Kenneth Barkley, Khalil Todd, Alec Lansing, Cristian Cuellar-Gonzales, Janaia Barnhart, a DRA victim who never even showed up in the news, and yet another unnamed girl at Summit School...

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 12:23:59 AM »
yanno fornits really went to shit after embedding sound and making images that are embedded be DISPLAYED BY DEFAULT was disabled and click-only.
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 01:29:59 AM »
I know, I miss big ben.

Offline sad

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 09:13:22 AM »
it's sad, dad is encouraging her staying away from me; he doesn't want to lose her 'affection' as he ain't got it from anyone else.
Her suiciide ideation/attempts have long been relinquished. She had made lots of gains in the wilderness program, but not ready to live with me or dad, as she still needs some time away with professional place to help sort it all out.
I have requested a forensic evaluation from the courts; so if it turns out that dad is alienating her (read up on parental alienation syndrome) the courts will recommend the appropriate steps to be taken, such as mandating dad into therapy, or forbidding dad from having contact with kid for a while, so that she feels free to reconnet with me.
thank you all for all info! i like to hear diviersified opinions.

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 09:18:28 AM »
Quote from: "sad"
She had made lots of gains in the wilderness program

And you know this how? No, really, how exactly do you know this?

with professional place

You aren't listening to a word we're fucking saying, are you?

All right, it's time to step back and let my old pal Chuck Darwin handle this one.
...Sergey Blashchishen, James Shirey, Faith Finley, Katherine Rice, Ashlie Bunch, Brendan Blum, Caleb Jensen, Alex Cullinane, Rocco Magliozzi, Elisa Santry, Dillon Peak, Natalynndria Slim, Lenny Ortega, Angellika Arndt, Joey Aletriz, Martin Anderson, James White, Christening Garcia, Kasey Warner, Shirley Arciszewski, Linda Harris, Travis Parker, Omega Leach, Denis Maltez, Kevin Christie, Karlye Newman, Richard DeMaar, Alexis Richie, Shanice Nibbs, Levi Snyder, Natasha Newman, Gracie James, Michael Owens, Carlton Thomas, Taylor Mangham, Carnez Boone, Benjamin Lolley, Jessica Bradford's unnamed baby, Anthony Parker, Dysheka Streeter, Corey Foster, Joseph Winters, Bruce Staeger, Kenneth Barkley, Khalil Todd, Alec Lansing, Cristian Cuellar-Gonzales, Janaia Barnhart, a DRA victim who never even showed up in the news, and yet another unnamed girl at Summit School...

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 09:27:03 AM »
Quote from: "Nihilanthic"
yanno fornits really went to shit after embedding sound and making images that are embedded be DISPLAYED BY DEFAULT was disabled and click-only.

It did for you, Niles, because you had a difficult time expressing yourself in words.  For the rest of us it got better.  We dont find a need to post screaming gorillas for attention because we cannot communicate properly via words.
But welcome back Niles.  Try giving it another go without pictures!

Offline Paul St. John

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2010, 01:33:34 PM »
The truth is any kid can benefit from being placed in treatment.

Wow.  You are a true believer, huh?  So any kid, even one that doesn t need to be treated for anything can benefit from a treatment center?  This so silly.  Maybe parents shouldn t raise their kids at all anymore.. That s what we have treatment centers for..lol

Tough love is nothing more than helping a kid to grow up into an adult.

Tough Love is stupid.  It is a stupid concept that has been used to justify all sorts of abuse.  The emphasis is on punishment.. not self-growth.
and it is on conformity....
"A person cannot experience self-growth with a gun to their heads"
- nathaniel Branden.

You can be one of those helicopter parents that hold the hand of their kid through college until they get a job and do wraparound stalking like fornits posters suggest,

Or to put it more accurately, Fornits posters, suggest that you know where you are sending your kid.  Each program comes with an attached set of values.  Are you really comfortable alowing someone else to dictate your child's values, without even knowing about them?

or you can send them on an adventure of their life with a wilderness program and let them grow into an independent young person ready for life.

Wilderness Program.. It is sill shit.  People do not require wilderness programs.

All the programs that people complain about here are out of business, the posters here were in treatment 25 years ago on average, there was a poll done indicating this. Treatment evolves like any industry and it's really helpful to any kid, not necessarily just troubled teens. Don't let the scare tactics here scare you, treatment programs save lives and 99.99% of kids do well. The other 00.01% end up posting here, its' a safe gamble.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
"gains" derived from wilderness programs
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2010, 02:32:33 PM »
Quote from: "Pile of Dead Kids"
She had made lots of gains in the wilderness program
And you know this how? No, really, how exactly do you know this?
It's worth noting that many such "gains" are not really based on any deep changes, and may not last. She's in a different environment, programs will characterize any compliant kids as "doing well," and she's probably also happy to hear from you, if that was the occasion which prompted the observation.

Which wilderness program is she in? Some are far worse than others, generally the ones that include "therapy" or promise some sort of attitude adjustment in participants as part of the package.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

• View Profile
Re: "gains" derived from wilderness programs
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2010, 03:12:39 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
Which wilderness program is she in?

Well, it doesn't look like she's going to say. But the only one she's asked any questions about is Open Sky Wilderness in Colorado.

In which case I made a minor error: Her daughter stands a chance of being a dessicated corpse mummifying in the Coloradan sunshine instead of the Utahn.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2010, 03:14:26 PM »
Anyone who has worked in a wilderness program or had a child attend one will tell you that the program shows positive results fairly quickly.  There is no question about that.  There are also independent studies which have been performed with oversight from third parties indicating a success rate above 80%.
So with that being said the next question is what is the next step?  Wilderness programs remove your child from a toxic environment, stabilize them and places them on a healthy path.

This also gives (Professionals)therapists a chance to determine what the next step should be while they are there.  Will the child do well going home?  Going home with family therapy?  Are there changes that need to be made at home?  Etc.  since wilderness is so brief the changes are not long lasting unless root cause is established and the right changes are made.  Typically the child moves on to a longer term facility or Therapeutic boarding school where the child will have the chance to grow and advance in a healthy environment and insure the changes are long lasting.

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2010, 03:19:26 PM »
Hey, copypaste Whooter! Try reading what one of the other Whooters said in this thread before you post.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2010, 01:09:08 AM »
The whooters kept notes?

Bad ones, sadly.  :beat:

I've never had any problem with being extremely articulate or intellectually rigorous. Check my post history.

So yeah, weren't we talking about how some idiot was trying to have us help her justify her stupid behavior? Or did she decide to fucking listen?

Offline 9403390

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2010, 02:39:13 AM »
I can’t speak to all wilderness places because I only worked at one and it was a while ago now. But be sceptical about progress. I knew one guy who was there because he took a lot of drugs and liked speed in particular. He admitted to me that he really craved them a lot and this had not stopped wanting them at all during his time there. But in terms of doing everything he was supposed to the kid was a star. He progressed in record time. 2 days after he graduated he was back on the first level because he stole his kid brother’s ADD meds. In hindsight it was pretty unethical for them to have ever taken the kid but they did twice. He ended up at a treatment centre in florida. His mother was enamored with it because they had family down there and at the end of the day kids got to stay with families instead of somewhere sterile. This was 99 so I have no idea whether the place was legit or if it was just another of these places that is just abusive. At the time it sounded perfect and I felt glad that the kid didn’t have to do wilderness anymore.
So basically if your kid comes home from wilderness and it turns out that she has not progressed as well as you thought don’t let them tell you it is a good idea for her to go back. It wont’ be. I feel for you and your girl but keep her at home if you possibly can. So many places that sound good on paper turn out not to be.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2010, 09:47:08 AM »
Quote from: "9403390"
He ended up at a treatment centre in florida. His mother was enamored with it because they had family down there and at the end of the day kids got to stay with families instead of somewhere sterile. This was 99 so I have no idea whether the place was legit or if it was just another of these places that is just abusive. At the time it sounded perfect and I felt glad that the kid didn’t have to do wilderness anymore.

Sounds suspiciously like Straight or a descendant and how they got around regulations on residential places.  Since the kids went to "a" home (most times it wasn't their home but another, higher phaser -more indoctrinated client-) at night, they weren't considered inpatient.  No matter that very often we were in "the building" until 2,3 or 4 in the morning and had to be back at 6 or 7, sometimes with over an hour ride there.  No matter that we were locked in the bedrooms at night, windows nailed shut (can anyone say fire codes violation?) with no mattresses or access to a bathroom.  No matter that if we refused to write an MI (moral inventory) they would keep us awake for days on end and ration food to the point of starvation.  It was all for our own good!!  

:beat:  :ftard:
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa