Author Topic: ed attorney  (Read 14067 times)

Offline sad

• View Profile
ed attorney
« on: June 02, 2010, 11:09:41 AM »
I'm not sure this belongs in this forum; here's my question:
I'm looking at educational attorneys to help me get reimbursement for residential care for a teen.
I have been provided with three names here in NY. Do you recognize any of them and do you know if they deliver the goods? The local district will make their recommendations as to residential placements and I'd like to reject their placements and choose my own and ask them to re-imburse me for that.
Some attorneys claim they can accomplish this feat. But what has been people's experiences here?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
Re: ed attorney
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 11:19:21 AM »
Quote from: "sad"
I'm looking at educational attorneys to help me get reimbursement for residential care for a teen.
I have been provided with three names here in NY. Do you recognize any of them and do you know if they deliver the goods? The local district will make their recommendations as to residential placements and I'd like to reject their placements and choose my own and ask them to re-imburse me for that.
Some attorneys claim they can accomplish this feat. But what has been people's experiences here?

Uh, well.......how can we recognize them if you don't state the names?  And what is an "educational attorney"?
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 11:24:42 AM »
An Ed Attorney is another advocate for your child.  They help to get services to support what outside agencies and or testing define as needed for the child's IEP.  You definitely need one if you are considering going against school/state recommendation placement and trying to get the state to pay for a more expensive treatment plan.... especially 12 months or more.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 11:35:04 AM »
Quote from: "Whooter"
An Ed Attorney is another advocate for your child.  They help to get services to support what outside agencies and or testing define as needed for the child's IEP.  You definitely need one if you are considering going against school/state recommendation placement and trying to get the state to pay for a more expensive treatment plan.... especially 12 months or more.

Really?  What kind of CLE courses does one attend to obtain this specialty?

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 01:12:29 PM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"

Not sure.  I know they have a law degree, because a friend of mine hired one for their special needs child, but beyond that I am not sure what makes them stand apart as far as being an advocate for a child, trial lawyer, business law, woman’s rights, probate, real-estate law, etc.  They all must take some type of course to help them in their respective specialties/fields.  I think you can get a lawyer for just about anything now a days.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 01:21:23 PM »

I am not sure what makes them stand apart as far as being an advocate for a child, trial lawyer, business law, woman’s rights, probate, real-estate law, etc.

Then don't answer the question if you don't know the answer.  I wasn't even asking you.....I was asking Sad what they thought that an "educational attorney" would be.  But, yet again, you jump in with your bullshit that you, admittedly, know next to nothing about.  You just can't help yourself, can you?

Offline photo man

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 01:34:01 PM »

- The banned - :rocker:  :rocker:  :rocker:  :rocker:  :rocker:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 09:38:41 AM by photo man »

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 01:52:16 PM »

I am not sure what makes them stand apart as far as being an advocate for a child, trial lawyer, business law, woman’s rights, probate, real-estate law, etc.

Then don't answer the question if you don't know the answer.  I wasn't even asking you.....I was asking Sad what they thought that an "educational attorney" would be.  But, yet again, you jump in with your bullshit that you, admittedly, know next to nothing about.  You just can't help yourself, can you?

Actually, Anne, if you go look at your post you asked "me" the question,not "Sad".

I said :"An Ed Attorney is another advocate for your child."
You quoted my post and asked:  "Really?  What kind of CLE courses does one attend to obtain this specialty?"

Not sure why you have to be angry all the time.  Its just a discussion.  Maybe you should try taking a walk at lunch instead of getting all worked up reading here on fornits.  You may find yourself in a better mood afterward.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 01:56:54 PM »
Actually, Anne, if you go look at your post you asked "me" the question,not "Sad".

I said :"An Ed Attorney is another advocate for your child."
You quoted my post and asked:  "Really?  What kind of CLE courses does one attend to obtain this specialty?"

Not sure why you have to be angry all the time.  Its just a discussion.  Maybe you should try taking a walk at lunch instead of getting all worked up reading here on fornits.  You may find yourself in a better mood afterward.

Angry?  Nah.....you're more like a plaything now.

:beat:  :seg:

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 02:02:54 PM »
Quote from: "sad"
Chances are, unless you have already tried the school district's recommendations and they haven't worked out, or you have a compelling and medically substantiated reason to suggest that the school district isn't fulfilling their legal obligations to your child, that you may lose.

However, I am not an attorney, and local and regional standards for the above criteria may well vary from state to state. You could probably get these answers from a free consult over the phone with an appropriately specialized attorney who is located in your area.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline SharonMcCarthy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 02:06:09 PM »
Annie I really think the best answer to this is the colleges. We all can assume obviously a legal degree is needed, however my first thought would be they would also need some form of understudy in psychology and human services field. I have heard of Guardian ed Litems in some states, however they were only attorneys that practiced some form of family practice such as child custody matters, and divorces. The attorney is basically for the child only, they look out for their needs only. What is best for the child. They are not the parents attorney however do take their opinions into consideration. The Guardian ed Litem really has a lot of say in the childs wellbeing. Overall they represent only the child to make sure their rights are fully noted. I still would call the college to ask directly or even a attorney that does this type of work. I am sure they would guide you in the right direction. I know I did not fully answer your question but hope it helped a little.
"A little knowledge that acts is worth infinitely more than much knowledge that is idle."
Kahlil Gibran

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 02:11:43 PM »
Quote from: "SharonMcCarthy"
Annie I really think the best answer to this is the colleges. We all can assume obviously a legal degree is needed, however my first thought would be they would also need some form of understudy in psychology and human services field. I have heard of Guardian ed Litems in some states, however they were only attorneys that practiced some form of family practice such as child custody matters, and divorces. The attorney is basically for the child only, they look out for their needs only. What is best for the child. They are not the parents attorney however do take their opinions into consideration. The Guardian ed Litem really has a lot of say in the childs wellbeing. Overall they represent only the child to make sure their rights are fully noted. I still would call the college to ask directly or even a attorney that does this type of work. I am sure they would guide you in the right direction. I know I did not fully answer your question but hope it helped a little.

Guardian ad litems are a decent resource as they represent the child solely, not the parent.  My point was that there is no "educational attorney" per se, like there is a probate or civil trial attorney.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 02:27:56 PM »
Special education law refers to the laws and regulations that govern the teaching of students with special needs. These needs may be learning or physical disabilities, behavioral problems, talents, or academic aptitude that can't be satisfied in a regular classroom. Federal law, specifically the Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act (IDEA), guarantees a free public education to those who suffer from a hearing, speech, or visual impairment, a brain injury or mental impairment, serious emotional or health issues, autism, or an identifiable learning disability.

What you would want to do is find a Lawyer that specializes in Education Law.  This would be an Ed Lawyer.  They advocate for the child and intercede where necessary in ways the parents cannot.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 02:35:44 PM »
Special education law refers to the laws and regulations that govern the teaching of students with special needs. These needs may be learning or physical disabilities, behavioral problems, talents, or academic aptitude that can't be satisfied in a regular classroom. Federal law, specifically the Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act (IDEA), guarantees a free public education to those who suffer from a hearing, speech, or visual impairment, a brain injury or mental impairment, serious emotional or health issues, autism, or an identifiable learning disability.

What you would want to do is find a Lawyer that specializes in Education Law.  This would be an Ed Lawyer.  They advocate for the child and intercede where necessary in ways the parents cannot.

Nah....parents are paying the bills so the attorney is gonna bend over backwards to do what they want, not necessarily what's best for the child.  Guardian ad litem,IMO, is the least biased and works for the interests of the child solely.

They're kinda like these Ed-Cons...that particular "specialty" (read referral based cash-cow) didn't arise until programs became more popular.  Same thing with this new "specialty" in the legal field.

Edited to add:  Awwww, isn't that cute.  I see you copy/pasted it from a lawyer referral service without the citation.    http://education-law.lawyers.com/special-education/

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 03:07:44 PM »
Guardian ad litem,IMO, is the least biased and works for the interests of the child solely.
That might be what they are intended to be, but I've heard of some pretty nightmarish scenarios where one party carries considerable more clout with the courts than the other. Since Guardian ad litem are employed by the courts... Well, jes sayin'...

They're kinda like these Ed-Cons...that particular "specialty" (read referral based cash-cow) didn't arise until programs became more popular. Same thing with this new "specialty" in the legal field.
I've heard of education attorneys being resorted to in cases very similar to that of the OP. That is, the school district recommends a "least restrictive setting," namely, an alternative school relatively close to home, perhaps being even a day school as opposed to boarding. But the parent wants to put the child in a "therapeutic milieu" setting, an RTC where the kid will be at 'round the clock. Since the latter is more expensive, the school district obviously would prefer not to have to pay for it.

However, I've also heard of education attorneys being used to ensure that a kid gets the kind of services s/he needs to have on their IEP. For example, the school psychologist only okays such and such services, but an outside psych consult has identified that the kid would benefit from some additional therapeutic or educational services that the school district would prefer not to pay for.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------