Author Topic: does residential really help and which one is good  (Read 12145 times)

Offline sad

• View Profile
does residential really help and which one is good
« on: June 02, 2010, 01:56:54 AM »
Does residential treatment really help or is it a waste of money?
Any particular residential you've had success with?
Two names were mentioned as being highly successful: La Europa and New Haven (in Utah)
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline walkedthere

• View Profile
Re: does residential really help and which one is good
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 08:18:12 AM »
"Residential" really helps many times ... but it also can be a waste of money, or less frequently can be counterproductive.  A minority of residential/emotional growth/therapeutic schools may be harmful - including a surprising (to me) number of state-run places.

Many times, a residential program is appropriate, even the only/best choice.  However, few posters here will admit that, and some will assert all are bad.  However, no program/school is right for everyone, so you can't make a good judgment without looking into needs and options.  So .. I can tell you that New Haven is a good school, but it may be totally wrong for your daughter.  I know one small operator of excellent programs whose programs differ significantly from each other because the needs of varied students can't be met with just one approach.

I'd offer to make suggestions if given more details, but that won't happen easily on this board.

Offline Pile of Dead Kids

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 09:03:32 AM »
Edit: I suspected samefaggotry, but previous poster is apparently a lurker jumping on the first available newbie who said the magic words.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 12:37:22 PM by Pile of Dead Kids »
...Sergey Blashchishen, James Shirey, Faith Finley, Katherine Rice, Ashlie Bunch, Brendan Blum, Caleb Jensen, Alex Cullinane, Rocco Magliozzi, Elisa Santry, Dillon Peak, Natalynndria Slim, Lenny Ortega, Angellika Arndt, Joey Aletriz, Martin Anderson, James White, Christening Garcia, Kasey Warner, Shirley Arciszewski, Linda Harris, Travis Parker, Omega Leach, Denis Maltez, Kevin Christie, Karlye Newman, Richard DeMaar, Alexis Richie, Shanice Nibbs, Levi Snyder, Natasha Newman, Gracie James, Michael Owens, Carlton Thomas, Taylor Mangham, Carnez Boone, Benjamin Lolley, Jessica Bradford's unnamed baby, Anthony Parker, Dysheka Streeter, Corey Foster, Joseph Winters, Bruce Staeger, Kenneth Barkley, Khalil Todd, Alec Lansing, Cristian Cuellar-Gonzales, Janaia Barnhart, a DRA victim who never even showed up in the news, and yet another unnamed girl at Summit School...

Offline sad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 10:54:50 AM »
Thing is, the Dept of Education is offering me Harmony Heights, lake grove, West Park, Saint Ann Institute,
It seems this is their list:  http://www.vesid.nysed.gov/specialed/pr ... 53inhl.htm
I have a hunch these places won't be as therapeutic as I'd like.
Therefore I'm looking into other placements, such as the ones I've heard of so far: New Haven, La Europa. I'm talking about a child with complex trauma and no criminal record, but severely psychologically damaged, and needs caring and supportive folks to help her heal.
I'd need to reject the Dept. of Ed's options, provide them with reasons why I am rejecting them, then ask them to pay for a placement of my choice. got it?

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 11:01:21 AM »
Quote from: "sad"
I'm talking about a child with complex trauma and no criminal record, but severely psychologically damaged, and needs caring and supportive folks to help her heal.

Little information to go on.  Age? Heal from what?  Where are her parents, or are they the problem?  Why a residential program v. outpatient?
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline sad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 11:15:38 AM »
age between 12-16; I don't want to be specific on a public forum.
Outpatient has been attempted and things deteriorated. We are looking to transition from wilderness to residential. She has done nice healing in wilderness but it's only the tip of the iceberg. I want a good residential place that can continue the work and hoping that within a year or less she can be functional enough to return to her family.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 11:23:38 AM »
and needs caring and supportive folks to help her heal.

Yeah too bad she doesn't have any of THOSE around, huh? Especially not you.

ask them to pay for a placement of my choice. got it?

So, wait, let's get this right- you want Fornits members to help you tell the school district to not send her to an "eh" facility like Harmony Heights or one of the other special-ed institutions, so you can send her to some real shithole like New Haven?

I'm tempted to just go full-bore "Get the fuck out of here", but you seem more clueless than anything, so I'll just ask: do you have any idea what the fuck you are getting into here? Any at all? Have you even taken a look at the Aspen forum, or wiki.fornits.com, or any of the other information available all over the place?

She was mentally traumatized by something or other, and you're compounding the problem by sending her to known shitholes, which themselves require years upon years of real therapy to recover from.

Oh, and see this list in my sig, here? Think this list is make-believe or sometime in the far past? Want to take a guess where these kids died?
...Sergey Blashchishen, James Shirey, Faith Finley, Katherine Rice, Ashlie Bunch, Brendan Blum, Caleb Jensen, Alex Cullinane, Rocco Magliozzi, Elisa Santry, Dillon Peak, Natalynndria Slim, Lenny Ortega, Angellika Arndt, Joey Aletriz, Martin Anderson, James White, Christening Garcia, Kasey Warner, Shirley Arciszewski, Linda Harris, Travis Parker, Omega Leach, Denis Maltez, Kevin Christie, Karlye Newman, Richard DeMaar, Alexis Richie, Shanice Nibbs, Levi Snyder, Natasha Newman, Gracie James, Michael Owens, Carlton Thomas, Taylor Mangham, Carnez Boone, Benjamin Lolley, Jessica Bradford's unnamed baby, Anthony Parker, Dysheka Streeter, Corey Foster, Joseph Winters, Bruce Staeger, Kenneth Barkley, Khalil Todd, Alec Lansing, Cristian Cuellar-Gonzales, Janaia Barnhart, a DRA victim who never even showed up in the news, and yet another unnamed girl at Summit School...

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 11:42:38 AM »
age between 12-16; I don't want to be specific on a public forum.
Outpatient has been attempted and things deteriorated. We are looking to transition from wilderness to residential. She has done nice healing in wilderness but it's only the tip of the iceberg. I want a good residential place that can continue the work and hoping that within a year or less she can be functional enough to return to her family.

Without being more specific (don't know why you can't...it's not like you're using her name) I don't really have any suggestions.

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 02:57:22 PM »
Quote from: "Pile of Dead Kids"
and needs caring and supportive folks to help her heal.

Yeah too bad she doesn't have any of THOSE around, huh? Especially not you.

ask them to pay for a placement of my choice. got it?

So, wait, let's get this right- you want Fornits members to help you tell the school district to not send her to an "eh" facility like Harmony Heights or one of the other special-ed institutions, so you can send her to some real shithole like New Haven?

I'm tempted to just go full-bore "Get the fuck out of here", but you seem more clueless than anything, so I'll just ask: do you have any idea what the fuck you are getting into here? Any at all? Have you even taken a look at the Aspen forum, or wiki.fornits.com, or any of the other information available all over the place?

She was mentally traumatized by something or other, and you're compounding the problem by sending her to known shitholes, which themselves require years upon years of real therapy to recover from.

Oh, and see this list in my sig, here? Think this list is make-believe or sometime in the far past? Want to take a guess where these kids died?

Pile STFU for a minute and listen and stop reacting. Jesus your like a kid.

Danny
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline walkedthere

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 03:03:12 PM »
SAD - search for a clinically based rtc.  I've not done such a search myself, but do know the sort of place I have in mind.  I'd even name some if I didn't expect to bring on another wave of condemnations.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 03:22:20 PM »
Quote from: "walkedthere"
I'd even name some if I didn't expect to bring on another wave of condemnations.

Would those condemnations happen to include verified relationships between its founders and programs that have been shut down for abuse, links to lengthy testimonies of abuse on this very site about said programs, dead kids as the result of said programs (Guaranteed 100% Certified DEAD!), or a combination of all three?

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 03:24:15 PM »
SAD - search for a clinically based rtc.  I've not done such a search myself, but do know the sort of place I have in mind.  I'd even name some if I didn't expect to bring on another wave of condemnations.

Hey, if they're legit I'm sure they'll be able to hold up to scrutiny, right?  Right???

Offline walkedthere

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 05:14:58 PM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"
if they're legit I'm sure they'll be able to hold up to scrutiny, right?
 I'm sure Pile will fabricate something "from whole cloth" and demand that it be disproven.  It just isn't worth it.  It would be so much more equitable to prove abuse on anything like a current basis instead of citing 30-year old events and instead of ignoring any possibility of accidents or any possibility that the enrollees would be at greater risk  elsewhere - say, on the streets selling their bodies or committing robberies for drug money.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 05:26:17 PM »
I'm sure Pile will fabricate something "from whole cloth" and demand that it be disproven.  It just isn't worth it.

In other words, because I have independent links to back this up, most from third-party news organizations and some from various survivors on Fornits with detailed experiences. Gotcha.

It would be so much more equitable to prove abuse on anything like a current basis instead of citing 30-year old events

Cedu shutdown? 2005. HLA lawsuits? A few years ago, those took a while. Sagewalk shutdown due to another dead kid? MBA shutdown due to serious abuse? Last year, both of them. Culmination of Peninsula Village lawsuits, resulting in its sale? Last year. Dead kids in the Pile? All within the last decade.

Try again, that dog don't hunt.

and instead of ignoring any possibility of accidents

Sure, ignoring Brendan Blum's cries of agony as he died, screaming, from his bowel infarction was an accident. Whatever you tell yourself to sleep at night.

or any possibility that the enrollees would be at greater risk  elsewhere - say, on the streets selling their bodies or committing robberies for drug money.

Hey look, it's deadorinjail! Hi deadorinjail! Haven't seen you in a while. Wasn't expecting you to get so desperate so quick, walkedthere- you're out already?

Sure your kid would be more dangerous doing crimes out on the street. She'd also be in more danger walking around in Somalia, or playing DDR above a pit full of lava, or [insert unlikely scenario here]... But your kids would also be much safer at home, seeing a real psychiatrist on a regular basis, or possibly following the IEP/recommendations of your school than it would be to trust her with program nutjobs.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 05:36:49 PM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"

Hey, if they're legit I'm sure they'll be able to hold up to scrutiny, right?  Right???

I don’t think it a matter of if they could hold up to scrutiny or not.  Most of the readers have been here when someone says "xyz program is a good one".  People start posting pictures of “the hobbit”, mind control techniques from 1930’s Germany, kids laying face down on concrete in South America, the guy who was duct taped and thrown into the ocean during a typhoon….lol.  Very little if any honest discussion takes place.

The same if someone named a good public high school and we all started posting pictures of Columbine highschool and showing kids who were dead or carrying guns.   “Pile of dead kids” could start a public highschool list….lol.  Kids who died in car accidents on their way to school or raped/beaten by their teacher.
Or we could ask the name of the best fast food restaurant and if someone said McDonalds we could present evidence that kids died in various McDonalds across the country or choked on a hamburger or burned their crotch with hot coffee.  Managers who fondled the customers. Ha,Ha,Ha

I think you could quickly see that it detracts from the discussion and it is best to PM the names and keep the specifics out of the thread, at least for this discussion.   Also once a program seems like a good fit you can ask to speak to other parents who had kids graduate from the school so you can get a better picture of whether it will be a good fit for your child or not.  But fornits isn’t a good place to discuss the benefits of a specific program.