Author Topic: Open Sky Wilderness in Colorado  (Read 37070 times)

Offline sad

• View Profile
Open Sky Wilderness in Colorado
« on: June 02, 2010, 01:55:18 AM »
Does anyone have info on that place?
Their website makes it look all nicey nicey but is it really so?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline walkedthere

• View Profile
Re: Open Sky Wilderness in Colorado
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 08:24:13 AM »
See my response to "does residential work".  For wilderness, add the question of whether or not it is a good idea for a particular person at all.  Some therapeutic boarding schools require wilderness or something similar before enrolling a student, soem other good ones regard it as a waste of time and money.  Much has to do with the nature of the student's 'issues' and the nature of the school's program.  As another post indicates you are considering a particular school on Long Island, I'd guess wilderness would be unnecessary.

Offline Pile of Dead Kids

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 09:06:12 AM »
Edit: Having one new poster right after another one smelled strongly of samefaggotry. I wonder how many programmies without accounts prowl this board?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 12:35:36 PM by Pile of Dead Kids »
...Sergey Blashchishen, James Shirey, Faith Finley, Katherine Rice, Ashlie Bunch, Brendan Blum, Caleb Jensen, Alex Cullinane, Rocco Magliozzi, Elisa Santry, Dillon Peak, Natalynndria Slim, Lenny Ortega, Angellika Arndt, Joey Aletriz, Martin Anderson, James White, Christening Garcia, Kasey Warner, Shirley Arciszewski, Linda Harris, Travis Parker, Omega Leach, Denis Maltez, Kevin Christie, Karlye Newman, Richard DeMaar, Alexis Richie, Shanice Nibbs, Levi Snyder, Natasha Newman, Gracie James, Michael Owens, Carlton Thomas, Taylor Mangham, Carnez Boone, Benjamin Lolley, Jessica Bradford's unnamed baby, Anthony Parker, Dysheka Streeter, Corey Foster, Joseph Winters, Bruce Staeger, Kenneth Barkley, Khalil Todd, Alec Lansing, Cristian Cuellar-Gonzales, Janaia Barnhart, a DRA victim who never even showed up in the news, and yet another unnamed girl at Summit School...

Offline sad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 10:48:25 AM »
What is samefaggotry?
I was referring to a school in Long Island but I've read somwhere here on this site a child was there for two years! I take this to mean they do not do a good job.
I want to cross Harmaony Heights off my list but want some reasons for doing so. The school district is recommending a list of places and I want to have reasons to reject those places.
Is there a residential facility that is good?
Has anyone been to Open Sky and can share what goes on there?

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 11:10:12 AM »
Quote from: "sad"
What is samefaggotry?

Well, if you aren't the same person (samefag) as the other poster then you got a brand new follower the moment you showed up here. Congrats!

I was referring to a school in Long Island but I've read somwhere here on this site a child was there for two years! I take this to mean they do not do a good job.

Most programs will keep your kid as long as the money keeps flowing. Academic boarding schools can encompass all of high school.

I want to cross Harmaony Heights off my list but want some reasons for doing so. The school district is recommending a list of places and I want to have reasons to reject those places.

Can't really help you much there, as we don't have much information on that program anywhere on this board. Because they take "weekly" students, that's an obvious mechanism for information to get out; it's not likely that Harmony Heights is guilty of the more heinous abuses described on Fornits.

Is there a residential facility that is good?

Yes! Yes there is. Put five bullets in a revolver, and spin the chambers without looking. Pull back the hammer, put it to your head, squeeze the trigger, and if it just goes *click* and your brains are still inside your skull, you found the good one.

But, again, because of the Monday-Friday day school option, this one isn't likely to be *particularly* nasty and the overall verdict looks like "eh, it's a boarding school, don't send your kids there unless you really have to".

Has anyone been to Open Sky and can share what goes on there?

http://wiki.fornits.com/index.php?title ... ss_Therapy

Looks like same shit, different name as far as wilderness programs go, with the official NATSAP Seal of Guaranteed Child Abuse on it and everything.
...Sergey Blashchishen, James Shirey, Faith Finley, Katherine Rice, Ashlie Bunch, Brendan Blum, Caleb Jensen, Alex Cullinane, Rocco Magliozzi, Elisa Santry, Dillon Peak, Natalynndria Slim, Lenny Ortega, Angellika Arndt, Joey Aletriz, Martin Anderson, James White, Christening Garcia, Kasey Warner, Shirley Arciszewski, Linda Harris, Travis Parker, Omega Leach, Denis Maltez, Kevin Christie, Karlye Newman, Richard DeMaar, Alexis Richie, Shanice Nibbs, Levi Snyder, Natasha Newman, Gracie James, Michael Owens, Carlton Thomas, Taylor Mangham, Carnez Boone, Benjamin Lolley, Jessica Bradford's unnamed baby, Anthony Parker, Dysheka Streeter, Corey Foster, Joseph Winters, Bruce Staeger, Kenneth Barkley, Khalil Todd, Alec Lansing, Cristian Cuellar-Gonzales, Janaia Barnhart, a DRA victim who never even showed up in the news, and yet another unnamed girl at Summit School...

Offline SUCK IT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 12:22:18 AM »
Wilderness programs are great, they help many kids. Go ahead and ask fornits posters who was abused here at a wilderness program, and you will not get a response. Everything else they post is propaganda to try to distract from this fact that they have no proof that abuse is happening in treatment programs, they just tell people and hope they believe them. Some people might be gullible enough to buy into the anti treatment propaganda here at fornits, but most are not and seek the help they need to protect their family first. This is a website with a handful of extremist posters who were in treatment programs 25 years ago and still bitter. They think Alcoholics Anonymous is evil and should be outlawed, but at the same time believe that all drugs should be legal. They want to put OxyContin on every grocery shelf, and then eliminate the most widely used treatment program to help stop using drugs. Think about that for a second, what type of messed up utopian vision these people have. Not smart at all. Listen to your gut and get the help you need, your kid will thank you in the long run.
one day at a time

Offline sad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 01:26:00 PM »
I am carefully weighing everything I am hearing and reading. My question is, why indeed have certain facilities closed down? for example, Mount Bachelor Academy.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 01:33:42 PM »
I am carefully weighing everything I am hearing and reading. My question is, why indeed have certain facilities closed down? for example, Mount Bachelor Academy.

http://www.cafety.org/solutions-and-suc ... my-closing

Investigations conducted by the Oregon Department of Human Services at Mt. Bachelor Academy (MBA), a therapeutic boarding school located near Prineville, have resulted in nine substantiated findings of child abuse and neglect against the school's leadership and therapeutic program.

As a result of the abuse investigation and violations of Oregon's licensing standards, the state has ordered Mt. Bachelor Academy to temporarily cease all therapeutic, educational and residential services to children until further notice.

The abuse and neglect findings centered on the program as a whole, as well as the school's Executive Director, and involved five children who attended Mt. Bachelor Academy during 2007-2009. The results of the investigation are being provided to local law enforcement officials.

The investigation was conducted by the Office of Investigation and Training (OIT) at DHS. Investigators with OIT reported that all students at MBA were required to participate in "emotional growth" workshops, called Lifesteps, which included activities that were coercive, intimidating and humiliating -- including sexualized role play and reenactment of past traumatic events, such as prior physical or sexual abuse.

While the initial reports described concerns about Lifesteps, the investigation ultimately revealed serious safety concerns about MBA's curriculum and program as a whole. The experience of the five students was consistent with that of other children enrolled at the school. The report concluded that the experiences of "these five youth are exemplars of the program's treatment of its students as a whole."

As a result of the OIT investigation, DHS Children, Adults and Families Residential Treatment Services and Licensing found violations of state licensing standards for therapeutic boarding schools, and state officials will require MBA to cease providing therapeutic, educational and residential services to children.

The licensing program determined in its investigation that there are conditions present that immediately endanger the health and safety of the children enrolled at MBA. The program found that MBA's methods of educational instruction, emotional and behavioral intervention and daily interaction with students create an immediate threat which places all children at risk of harm.

Further, the investigation revealed that MBA has subjected children to Lifestep workshops as a therapy technique that is harmful and damaging to their health or welfare. In addition, that MBA has not provided the therapeutic treatment necessary for children to overcome or improve with substance abuse issues, mental health issues, eating disorders and other issues, nor provided qualified staff to treat such conditions.

The substantiated incidents of abuse or neglect are shown below:

* Mt. Bachelor Academy Executive Director neglected the care of four children by failing to ensure individualized and therapeutic treatment plans were developed to address past abuse and significant emotional and behavioral issues.

* The Mount Bachelor Academy program abused a child in 2007 by requiring the child to engage in sexualized role play in front of staff and peers.

* The Mount Bachelor program abused a second child in 2009 by requiring the child to make obscene and self-degrading comments out loud, in front of staff and peers. In addition, the Mount Bachelor program neglected the same child during 2008-2009 by failing to provide adequate medical care and supervision.

* The Mount Bachelor Academy program neglected a third child in 2009, by failing to provide adequate supervision during an international trip.

* The Mount Bachelor Academy program abused a fourth child in 2008 by requiring the child to engage in degrading activities such as acting out sexualized role play and physical abuse, and by being subjected to obscene and degrading comments by staff in front of other staff and peers.

* The Mount Bachelor Academy program abused a fifth child during 2009 by requiring and/or permitting staff to use derogatory names, phrases, ridicule and harassment.

* The Mount Bachelor Academy program neglected five children between 2007 and 2009 by failing to provide individualized treatment to meet their diagnosed mental health needs.

* The Mount Bachelor Academy program abused five children between 2007 and 2009 by requiring them to engage in activities that were coercive, intimidating, harassing, and/or humiliating.

The substantiated incidents meet Oregon's legal definition of child abuse because they were inconsistent with recommended and appropriate treatment or care, used derogatory names/phrases, profanity, ridicule, harassment, coercion, and/or intimidation that was likely to endanger the child's health or welfare. In addition, the activities subjected children to a substantial risk of harm to their health or welfare, and the adults failed to supervise or intervene when the child needed assistance or care, in an activity that was likely to endanger their health or welfare.

An expert in the field of child and adolescent psychiatry consulted by DHS as part of the investigation concluded: "In general, coercive, degrading and humiliating treatment is harmful to young people, especially those with psychological vulnerabilities. Young people (male and female) who have been victims of abuse often hold themselves responsible for the abuse, and develop sexualized behavior for reasons they often don't understand. To confront them and humiliate them about these behaviors in an effort to force them to see themselves more clearly and consequently change their behavior can be very destructive. It has the risk of reinforcing self-blame and self-loathing attitudes already present in traumatized individuals. It is essentially retraumatizing."

Today's report also includes a substantiated allegation of child abuse against the Executive Director of MBA as "the individual responsible for delivery of therapeutic care to MBA students." In that role, the Executive Director "administers through staff an ‘emotional growth' curriculum in which all students must participate regardless of their emotional, behavioral or mental health needs, and regardless of their own trauma histories. This curriculum is delivered by staff who are not trained to treat the broad range of issues the children bring, and who routinely degrade and humiliate them." The report concludes that the Executive Director, "knew or should have known what happens to students in [the] program."

Mt. Bachelor Academy is a licensed Therapeutic Boarding School, located in a rural area, 26 miles east of Prineville, Oregon, licensed originally in 1988. The school admits both male and female students who are from age 14 to 17.5 at the time of admission, although some children are admitted pursuant to an exception as young as age 13. The total capacity is 125 students and the average length of stay is 14-16 months. Tuition is $6,400 a month with an additional up front, one time $2,200 enrollment fee. Other service fees are not included. In 2008, Mt. Bachelor was reorganized and became a program of Aspen Education Group. Aspen was recently acquired by CRC Health Group, Inc. In March of 2009, MBA had approximately 77 staff and 88 boarding students.

Last March, the state received reports of child abuse against Mt. Bachelor Academy, initially concerning the Lifesteps program at MBA. OIT is a division of DHS that investigates allegations of abuse by paid staff in various therapeutic or treatment settings, and OIT handled the investigation of the reports of abuse at MBA. There were two investigators primarily assigned to go to Prineville and interview people on campus. In addition, the office used three other investigators to conduct witness interviews of people in- and out-of-state. The investigators conducted interviews involving 65 witnesses, including MBA students and staff, along with licensed therapists familiar with individual students. Investigators consulted with a medical expert certified in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, and they reviewed documents and photographed materials used as part of the MBA therapy program.

At the same time, the DHS Licensing program investigated standards for health and safety and looked at the school's compliance with Oregon Administrative Rules related to their license as a therapeutic boarding school. Licensing notified MBA that they were prohibited from conducting their own investigation into the allegations of abuse reported to have occurred; prohibited from destroying or otherwise concealing school or student records; prohibited from disciplining or threatening discipline to students interviewed during the investigation; prohibited from conducting Lifesteps activities until further notice. Parents of students were notified of the investigation.

A "Therapeutic boarding school" is a program that is primarily a school and not a residential care agency (as defined in OAR 413-215-0506). Therapeutic boarding schools are licensed to provide both educational services and care to children for 24 hours a day and hold themselves out as serving children with emotional or behavioral problems by providing therapeutic services or assuring that children receive therapeutic services.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
the closing of Mount Bachelor Academy
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 02:48:00 PM »
Full copy of Oregon DHS's Complaint and Order to Correct Conditions makes for some interesting reading.

See also:

-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 03:08:59 PM »
So it seems there are facilities which have had problems, like any other industry,  but no problems have been found with Open Sky wilderness in Colorado.  I dont know much about it but it does seem like a good program.  They have a very solid clinical team.

As we are all aware, public schools like Columbine High school has had its problems in the past along with public school teachers raping and beating students.  But this isnt an indication that all public schools are unsafe.

I would be careful not to fall into the trap of painting the entire industry the same based on isolated events.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 07:15:03 AM »
Open sky is run by Emily Demong her bio said she got her start at aspen acheivement academy. The admissions counsellor Lauren Lollini also worked at aac at the time british brat camp was filmed. This place has a long history of disturbing incidents. One boy tried to hang himself. Another incident involved some boys running away and wandering alone in the utah desert in the dangerously hot summer months for days.
The british version of brat camp also depicted one girl getting into a an argument with her admissions counsellors and throwing her shoe at them in temper. The response was for 2 women twice her size to wrestle her to the ground. When she cried out in pain one woman pushed her arm further up her back to show her what "real pain" was. The same series also showed another uncooperative girl being subjected to their "pain compliance technique" which consisted of giving her Chinese burns till she became obedient. This girl was obviously pretty stubborn because they said it went on for a couple of hours. This was the stuff they were willing to be open about. I cant imagine what they do to kids behind closed doors. You say your daughter is acting out due to trauma. Some of the more confronting therapies may exacerbate this. This could potentially lead to physical abuse. Ask the staff a lot of questions about what their time at aspen achievement academy taught them as professionals. Then ask why they condoned the practices of a place that uses pain compliance and see what they say.
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 05:07:53 PM »
Quote from: "Oz girl"
Open sky is run by Emily Demong her bio said she got her start at aspen acheivement academy. The admissions counsellor Lauren Lollini also worked at aac at the time british brat camp was filmed. This place has a long history of disturbing incidents. One boy tried to hang himself. Another incident involved some boys running away and wandering alone in the utah desert in the dangerously hot summer months for days.
The british version of brat camp also depicted one girl getting into a an argument with her admissions counsellors and throwing her shoe at them in temper. The response was for 2 women twice her size to wrestle her to the ground. When she cried out in pain one woman pushed her arm further up her back to show her what "real pain" was. The same series also showed another uncooperative girl being subjected to their "pain compliance technique" which consisted of giving her Chinese burns till she became obedient. This girl was obviously pretty stubborn because they said it went on for a couple of hours. This was the stuff they were willing to be open about. I cant imagine what they do to kids behind closed doors. You say your daughter is acting out due to trauma. Some of the more confronting therapies may exacerbate this. This could potentially lead to physical abuse. Ask the staff a lot of questions about what their time at aspen achievement academy taught them as professionals. Then ask why they condoned the practices of a place that uses pain compliance and see what they say.

Just to be clear all those events have nothing to do with “Open sky Wilderness”.  They occurred someplace else.  
It is Just like describing the events that occurred at Columbine High School and implying they occur at every high school.  They don’t.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 05:35:33 PM »
Quote from: "Whooter"
Just to be clear all those events have nothing to do with “Open sky Wilderness”.  They occurred someplace else.  
It is Just like describing the events that occurred at Columbine High School and implying they occur at every high school.  They don’t.

Just to be clear, regular high schools do not employ the same emotional tactics that RTCs, Wilderness Camps and the like to.  Most of these places utilize the same methods, which is why they're all so similar.  Columbine was a couple of truly disturbed kids.  The programs' damages are usually done either by staff or at the direction thereof.  Big difference, but you knew that already.  Get some new material.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 05:41:16 PM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"
Quote from: "Whooter"

Just to be clear, regular high schools do not employ the same emotional tactics that RTCs, Wilderness Camps and the like to.  Most of these places utilize the same methods, which is why they're all so similar.  Columbine was a couple of truly disturbed kids.  The programs' damages are usually done either by staff or at the direction thereof.  Big difference, but you knew that already.  Get some new material.

You may not agree with the comparison I made and that is a different issue.  But the events that Oz Girl described did not occur at "Open Sky Wilderness".  Its important for the readers to be aware of that.  If you feel all wilderness programs are the same that is okay and is your opinion.  But we need to be clear on the facts.

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 05:46:16 PM »
And just to be more clear, we're talking about things that the exact same people (Emily Demong and Laura Lollini) working at one facility were involved in, before moving to another facility. Exact same people, exact same environment, exact same "therapy"; the only difference is the name.