Author Topic: Boy raped at WestCare-Georgia Intensive RTC  (Read 13532 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
State dept of JJ stands by youth facility operator...
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 07:58:14 PM »
Here's the original article from the Augusta Chronicle:

-------------- • -------------- • --------------

The Augusta Chronicle
State department of Juvenile Justice stands by youth facility operator after sexual assault
Roommates charged in sexual assault on teen
By Johnny Edwards
Staff Writer
Sunday, May 16, 2010

It happened in the dark.

Four larger teens had been talking about raping him -- one of them had been winking at him lately -- but he thought it was just talk. When the lights went out in the C dorm of WestCare-Georgia Intensive Residential Treatment Program, a privately run drug and alcohol recovery center for incarcerated teens off Mike Padgett Highway, they moved on him.

He went for the door to yell for help, but when he clutched the handle, one of them grabbed him by the neck in a choke hold and pulled him to the floor. They fondled him and pulled his pants off. As he thrashed and kicked, one of them took a toilet plunger from the bathroom, rubbed lotion on it, and attacked him with the handle.

"They did not say anything," the victim told an investigator. "They were just laughing."

That account is based on statements by the 16-year-old victim and two accused perpetrators contained in the state Department of Juvenile Justice's investigative file on the Jan. 2 incident, which The Augusta Chronicle obtained through an Open Records Act request.

Four-and-a-half months later, the department is standing by the contractor operating the facility, even though its investigation confirmed that a sexual assault occurred there.

"The investigation did not substantiate any negligence on their part," said Rob Rosenbloom, deputy commissioner for Community Services and Intake, "and we believe the children are still safe there."

NO SANCTIONS have been imposed on WestCare-Georgia, a division of a Las Vegas-based nonprofit in the third year of a five-year contract to run the center at an annual cost of about $2 million, and no employees have been disciplined. According to the department's statistics on the center, this is the only youth-on-youth sexual act, abusive or not, that has occurred under WestCare.

Corrective actions since taken by the company include adopting a zero-tolerance policy for "horse play" and assigning extra keys so counselors overseeing dormitories can keep watch over residents during shift change, according to documents in the file.

Also substantiating the assault were the Georgia Bureau of Investigation and the Augusta District Attorney's office.

Terrance Tafia Felder, 15, of Riverdale, Ga.; William Mark Richardson, 16, of Gillsville, Ga.; Zyheed Trevron Roberts, 16, of Marietta, Ga.; and Austin Sokol, 15, of Stockbridge, Ga., have been indicted on charges of aggravated sexual battery, one of the so-called "seven deadly sins" that automatically bump their case up to adult court.

Rosenbloom said there's no excuse for a sex crime to be committed on a child in state custody at any facility, especially a small one.

The WestCare program -- housed in four buildings surrounded by a security fence behind the Augusta Youth Development Campus -- has 30 beds, compared to the 120 at the long-term YDC or the 64 at the short-term Augusta Regional Youth Detention Center.

But these things happen, Rosenbloom said.

"You still have the dynamic of kids interacting with kids," he said.

That explanation isn't good enough for the victim's mother or the family's attorney, David Groover, of Calhoun, Ga.

"At this point," Groover said, "there is no indication that any steps have been taken by (the Department of Family and Children Services) or WestCare to ensure that children entrusted to their care are not subject to this kind of trauma and abuse, and that this never happens again to a child in protective custody of the state of Georgia."

ANOTHER CORRECTIVE action was for WestCare to repair its camera surveillance system, which according to e-mails had been knocked out by a lightning strike in early August and would have cost about $660 to repair.

Cameras were aimed at the open sleeping area in C dorm, but WestCare-Georgia Vice President Michael Langford said he doesn't think anything useful would have been captured had they been operable.

That's because the lights were out.

The attack occurred during shift change, about 10 p.m., according to the documents, while the dorm's sole residential counselor on duty was in the control room briefing his reliever, telling him that some of the boys -- there were 10 in the unit that night -- seemed "excited to see him" and might act out on him. The incoming counselor, Harvey Woody, let the other counselor out the main door, then noticed the commotion.

It broke up when he stuck his key in the door to the sleeping area, Woody told a Juvenile Justice investigator. He saw several boys grabbing at another, one of them holding a plunger, but no one had his pants down, he said.

Later, after Woody radioed for help, another counselor, Erika Jordan, turned the lights on and chastised the boys for horseplay. She saw the victim lying in his bed.

"He appeared to have a upset look on his face," Jordan wrote in her statement, "but resident did not say anything."

That was Saturday night. Two days later, the victim reported what happened to a therapist.

"The youth (the four accused assailants) told me that if I told what happened, they would jump me," the victim said, "but I was so mad that I told on Monday.

"I think I should be able to go home."

Of the four, only Felder and Roberts gave statements to the Juvenile Justice investigator. Both said that it was rowdiness that went too far. Felder said it started as slap boxing, but then they "kept messing with (the victim).

"It all started with playing," Felder wrote in his statement, "and it turned into something more serious."

WESTCARE'S OWN investigation, Langford said, didn't substantiate a sexual assault.

He noted that the victim waited two days to report it and cited conflicting statements in his account, but said the company alerted Juvenile Justice, DFCS and police anyway.

"Safety of clients and staff is first and foremost with us," Langford said. "We'd rather have an abundance of caution."

Some of those contradictions are apparent in the investigative file. In the victim's early statements, to the therapist and a WestCare nurse, he said he was fondled and one of the boys tried to assault him with the plunger, but no penetration occurred. The nurse and Trinity Hospital found no evidence of physical injury.

But later he complained of bleeding and changed his account. Visits to University Hospital and Medical College of Georgia Hospital also found no signs of injury.

District Attorney Ashley Wright and GBI Thomson office Special Agent in Charge Gary Nicholson wouldn't say what led them to conclude he told the truth in the second story. A memo from the Juvenile Justice Office of Investigations, reaching the same conclusion, cites corroborating statements by residents whose names are redacted.

GROOVER SAID he has uncovered other records showing that his client, whose name The Chronicle is withholding because he is a sexual assault victim, went to Trinity Hospital a few weeks before the incident, claiming he was hit in the crotch with a football.

"There's evidence in his medical records that he was treated for other injury to his genitals, and for infection, while he was at WestCare," he said. "And those are well-known symptoms, red flags, of child sexual abuse. And, at least, WestCare failed to monitor and supervise these children."

The boy's mother, whose name the newspaper is also withholding so as not to identify her son, said he got embroiled in the state child welfare system while his father was in state prison on methamphetamine charges and she was serving six months in a county jail for driving with a suspended license and giving false information.

"He was just lost without us, you know," she said.

While living with relatives, he repeatedly got in trouble for running away, skipping school and testing positive for marijuana. He was sent to WestCare after running away from a juvenile rehabilitation camp, she said.

He's now at the Georgia Industrial Children's Home in Macon, a group home, and she's petitioning Bartow County Juvenile Court to let him come home.

She said he doesn't want to talk about what happened in Augusta. "He just wants to forget it ever happened," she said. "He was really brave to even tell. I commend him for that. His life was in jeopardy."

Rick McDevitt, president of the Georgia Alliance for Children and a longtime critic of Juvenile Justice, said the incident shows why he opposes locking children up for small crimes. Only the truly dangerous ones should be incarcerated, he said.

TROUBLING NUMBERS of youth-on-youth sexual assaults were part of what led McDevitt to initiate a U.S. Justice Department investigation in 1998 that led to a memorandum of agreement to fix "egregious" conditions, which Juvenile Justice finally emerged from under last year.

"They still put kids in danger," he said, "not only in their own facilities, but with some of their contractors who don't do a better job.

"We've called it for years 'state-sponsored child abuse.' "

The Augusta Chronicle ©2010.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
Re: Boy raped at WestCare-Georgia Intensive RTC
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 08:43:35 PM »
Thanks, Ursus, I think the article makes it clear that they don’t utilize any Synanon methods (at this facility anyway).  It appears to be an isolated incident according to the article:
According to the department's statistics on the center, this is the only youth-on-youth sexual act, abusive or not, that has occurred under WestCare.

The boy had access to a therapist who reported it.. and the school notified the authorities as soon as they heard……  this is not Synanon behavior.
I think many times we read into the various connections a little too much (or too quickly) which can be misleading.

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 09:29:42 PM »
:shamrock:  :shamrock:

Danny wrote:
Which should then give you a good picture of what this facility is like where this rape happened. I am only referring to this particular facility. My only argument here Ursus is "at the facility in question concerning the rape" I believe they are not trying to hard to implement any standard therapeutic modalities as you are say'in. That's all. Other then that little point I was trying to make, I'm on board with everything else you are say'in. Any help I could give to shut down this enterprise please let me know. WestCare is known throughout Georgia as a warehouse for criminals with very little rehab, how else could 4 goons manage to wrestle a dude down and shove a stick up his behind. Nobody heard this or saw this, where were the cameras ect....
So please go on with your bad self and get'em.

Ursus wrote:
If you're implying or under the impression that I am or was saying that they make healthy use of "therapy" for these kids, you're sadly mistaken. Like I said, "They started as a hardcore drug rehab TC, yet another friggin' Synanon." That is to say, C-U-L-T. Just wanna make sure we're clear on thi
s

Danny wrote:
No I am not implying that at all the exact opposite concerning this program. Personally I can't stand this warehouse that tries to call itself a treatment center. It is not.

Ursus wrote:
I am not exactly a fan of therapeutic communities. Though... to each his own, I guess, presuming one is talking about adults exercising their own free will.

Danny  wrote: make a conscious
Yes adults exercising their own free will with the exception that they are not disabled to the extent they can't.  

Ursus wrote:
I think they can be incredibly psychologically destructive to kids.

Danny wrote:
Sometimes especially with owners looking to make money as their only goal.

Ursus wrote:
As far "where was the camera" is concerned? It was broken. It would have cost $660 to fix it. I think that pretty much sums up just where WestCare's priorities are, in case anyone's still wondering.

Danny wrote:
Not good....

Danny[/quote]
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 09:48:52 PM »

Quote from: "Whooter"
Thanks, Ursus, I think the article makes it clear that they don’t utilize any Synanon methods (at this facility anyway).  It appears to be an isolated incident according to the article:
Appearances can be deceiving as you well now don't be fooled.

According to the department's statistics on the center, this is the only youth-on-youth sexual act, abusive or not, that has occurred under WestCare.
Don't read to much into that whooter, this is a totally different type of treatment center it is a holding tank for kids who would otherwise be in juvie. They are not going to publicize more then they have to concerning youth on youth abuse happening at this facility. Not all of WestCare facilities are like this one either. Where the population is realistically incarcerated.

The boy had access to a therapist who reported it.. and the school notified the authorities as soon as they heard……  this is not Synanon behavior.
Com'on read the report they did not even believe the incident even happened.

I think many times we read into the various connections a little too much (or too quickly) which can be misleading.
Dude that is what you are doing on this one, sometimes the devil looses, know what I mean. This facility is bad news run by the wrong people. Keep looking into this one you'll see. They run it like a juvenile detention but try to act like it is a treatment center. These kids committed some serious crimes.  

Danny

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2010, 10:09:40 PM »
I read the report twice and here is what we know from it:

That was Saturday night. Two days later, the victim reported what happened to a therapist.
He noted that the victim waited two days to report it and cited conflicting statements in his account, but said the company alerted Juvenile Justice, DFCS and police anyway.
"The investigation did not substantiate any negligence on their part," said Rob Rosenbloom, deputy commissioner for Community Services and Intake, "and we believe the children are still safe there."

From what I have read about  synanon they would not readily notify outside authorities or have therapists.  These were not even conflicts with the staff…..I don’t see how this was handled poorly at all or how this reflects a model based on Synanon.  If you think I am missing something point it out to me, but I don’t see it based on this report.

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2010, 10:33:49 PM »

I read the report twice and here is what we know from it:

From what I have read about  synanon they would not readily notify outside authorities or have therapists.  These were not even conflicts with the staff…..I don’t see how this was handled poorly at all or how this reflects a model based on Synanon.  If you think I am missing something point it out to me, but I don’t see it based on this report.

Whooter I am not concerned about synanon or any similarities (jesus would folks get off that dead horse). What I am concerned about is why that young 16 year old did not tell anyone for 2 days. Shit if you were held up in a place like this you would think twice about telling anyone and if you did you would be pretty nervous and embarrassed explaining the incident.
Folks these are criminals from juvie who they (Program) think have a shot a rehab, what that means is they behaved in juvie got a ticket to a less militant facility, they are jumping for joy. Food is better, beds are better ect....Fun time.
Children are never safe in a facility like this for obvious reasons, the clientele. These incidents are happening constantly, it is called bullying. The status of a individual or plural is of most importance with the juvie population gets you ready for prison life, the big time. How many treatments centers in the last 20 years have had a incident like this, this is "gangsta" shit.
That is what "I" thought you were missing.

Danny

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2010, 10:49:46 PM »
Quote from: "DannyB II"
Whooter I am not concerned about synanon or any similarities (jesus would folks get off that dead horse).
That was Ursus, not you.

What I am concerned about is why that young 16 year old did not tell anyone for 2 days. Shit if you were held up in a place like this you would think twice about telling anyone and if you did you would be pretty nervous and embarrassed explaining the incident.
Maybe he was embarrassed like you said and wanted to wait to tell his therapist.

Folks these are criminals from juvie who they (Program) think have a shot a rehab, what that means is they behaved in juvie got a ticket to a less militant facility, they are jumping for joy. Food is better, beds are better ect....Fun time.
Children are never safe in a facility like this for obvious reasons, the clientele. These incidents are happening constantly, it is called bullying. The status of a individual or plural is of most importance with the juvie population gets you ready for prison life, the big time. How many treatments centers in the last 20 years have had a incident like this, this is "gangsta" shit.
That is what "I" thought you were missing.
I know some of these places are tough and basically warehouses.  I just don’t understand why there is a need to say it is a cult, or is run like synanon when the signs are not there.  Some people are obsessed with the whole perception that all these places conduct brainwashing on the kids.  Some places may do that, I don’t know.  But we at least need to produce some evidence or understand the thinking a little more before taking that position.

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2010, 11:12:38 PM »

Whooter wrote:
I know some of these places are tough and basically warehouses.  I just don’t understand why there is a need to say it is a cult, or is run like synanon when the signs are not there.  Some people are obsessed with the whole perception that all these places conduct brainwashing on the kids.  Some places may do that, I don’t know.  But we at least need to produce some evidence or understand the thinking a little more before taking that position.

Danny wrote:
Because there first thought when they/we hear treatment center is cult the mere word TC is a trigger. You know that from being around survivors, Whooter. Object of the debate don't hit the trigger. Then will have a better conversation. The Genesis "Synanon" makes me want to vomit. It is gone and we have to let it go.
There is always going to be some degree of conditioning, training, educating going on in these programs, the deal is don't force it on people to a point that it stops educating and starts dehumanizing.  

Danny[/quote][/quote]

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2010, 11:19:26 AM »
Thanks, Ursus, I think the article makes it clear that they don't utilize any Synanon methods (at this facility anyway).  It appears to be an isolated incident according to the article:

Sorry, Whooter, I didn't post the article in response to your previous post, I simply posted it.

Moreover, I really don't see where or how you come to the conclusions that you've stated here. You seem overly eager to rationalize away any incidents of abuse as incidental or one-time-only, and to take the word of program operators as gospel when it comes to ascertaining whatever goes on in their program. Don't ya think there just might be some possible self-interest involved ... in their downplaying this incident as much as possible?

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2010, 11:31:44 AM »
Quote from: "Ursus"

Moreover, I really don't see where or how you come to the conclusions that you've stated here. You seem overly eager to rationalize away any incidents of abuse as incidental or one-time-only, and to take the word of program operators as gospel when it comes to ascertaining whatever goes on in their program.

Yep.  That and his constant use of "we can gather", "we see from this", "we can assume", "we have learned"......to confuse or distract the reader, as if "we" agree with him.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2010, 11:33:12 AM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"
No, I saw it. I just didn't see where anyone said, or implied, that playing basketball was abuse.

Exactly, thank you, so you also didnt see where anyone said, in the article, that the coroner was being bribed or coerced.  

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2010, 11:35:01 AM »
No, I saw it. I just didn't see where anyone said, or implied, that playing basketball was abuse.

Exactly, thank you, so you also didnt see where anyone said, in the article, that the coroner was being bribed or coerced.  

Yes, I saw that.....doesn't mean that anyone implied that basketball was abusive.

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2010, 11:38:26 AM »

Yes, I saw that.....doesn't mean that anyone implied that basketball was abusive.

.... or that the coroner was bribed and coerced.  I think we agree here.  Just wanted to make sure it was understood.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2010, 11:41:58 AM »
.... or that the coroner was bribed and coerced.

Yes, saw that as well and it still didn't imply that anyone thought that having kids play basketball was abusive....which is what you said.

I think we agree here.  Just wanted to make sure it was understood.

Yeah, we know.  You twist things around in order to achieve that.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2010, 11:53:50 AM »
Yes, saw that as well and it still didn't imply that anyone thought that having kids play basketball was abusive....which is what you said.

This is what my point is, Anne. lol  I can say that someone implied Basketball is abusive and that catches your eye, but you accept “at face value” someone implying that a coroner is bribed or coerced and that gets a pass.

It shows how one sided you think.  You cant see that?