Author Topic: Recent Aspen cutback and re-structure  (Read 10047 times)

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
Re: Recent Aspen cutback and re-structure
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2010, 03:51:50 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
Quote from: "Whooter"
Quote from: "AuntieEm2"
A respected adolescent psychiatrist in practice at a major university reviewed the Aspen approach and reported to me that it "does not comport with any method we teach or advocate at any credible institution of adolescent psychiatry in the country."
I have spoken to professionals in the field who feel the opposite.  So it goes to show that people are divided on the issue, but there is no reason to be hateful towards others, AuntieEm2.  If you feel a staff person is ridiculing a student then they should be identified and the school should be notified.

You just hate it that I'm right. Go ahead, blow more smoke now. Blah, blah, blah. Send your links to your bogus studies, blather on in long posts about what a horrible person I am, attack everyone on fornits. Blah, blah, blah.

Auntie Em
I don’t really care how you feel, Auntie, I was just saying that you make statements (to degrade people and schools) that you just make up out of thin air, because you are angry, like:

Ha! They go from occasional peer ridicule to incessant staff ridicule.

And then you get pissed like you did above when I or anyone else calls you on your BS.
So ... Auntie Em relates something from her personal experience, and you call it making "statements (to degrade people and schools) that you just make up out of thin air?" Nice...

I'm also not really sure where you get this "when I or anyone else calls you on your BS" with regards to Auntie Em, Whooter, since you're the one who usually gets called on that! Certainly not Auntie Em!

Are you that desperate that you need to distort facts -- and make up imaginary friends -- in order to convince others that you have some credibility here?  :D

:shamrock:  :shamrock:

Ursus spoke:
Are you that desperate that you need to distort facts -- and make up imaginary friends -- in order to convince others that you have some credibility here?

Danny spoke:

No Ursus I don't think he is but I know who is. I'm a friend and I find him very credible as I find you, as far as friends and credibility go on a internet site.

Danny
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline elanasshole

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2010, 04:27:39 PM »
Danny is desperate for Whooters love and affection because Danny doesn't get it from his own family at home.  His family left him because they got sick and tired of his booze antics a couple months back.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2010, 04:37:02 PM »
Quote from: "DannyB II"

No Ursus I don't think he is but I know who is. I'm a friend and I find him very credible as I find you, as far as friends and credibility go on a internet site.

Danny

First......I wish you'd learn to use the quote feature.  It's really not that difficult and it would make wading thru your friggin' shamrocks and "Danny spoke/Ursus spoke" posts much easier.

Second....might I direct your attention to this thread....

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=27903

Quote from: "Guest"
John D. Reuben is a wanna-be EdCon 'who' started a business making referrals to known abusive programs.  He has linked up with some of the most familiar bogeymen of the TTI such as Lon Woodbury, Martha Kolbe and many others, like NATSAP and Aspen Education.

John's son, 'who' was forced into two abusive programs, SUWS and ASR, did not receive the help he desperately needed from the unlicensed, unseducated staff of SUWS and ASR, but he was able to make it through, getting out at age 18.  Since the boy's legitimate psychological issues were never addressed while he was detained by for-profit quacks, his family bond was destroyed and when he came home from ASR he estranged himself from John and went back to his old behaviors (as almost every teen does after being detained by quacks) and got much more deeply into much harder drugs, turning to heroin to get his fix and escape from his terrible problems that his father refused to seek legitimate treatment for.

Eventually Michael Joshua Reuben overdosed on heroin and died due to his father's neglect in his time of need.

John's son Max H. Reuben is also a program veteran, but John declines to say which program.

Please lend your support in researching John's connections to the TTI and those of his firm STICC.

John, if you had followed sound medical advice, Mike would still be with us today.  Max, although still living, is deeply scarred by his experiences that you forced him into.  Now you want other people to follow your example which leads to psychological destruction or even death.  John used paid death notices in newspapers accross the country to draw attention to STICC and to get donations to send other kids to SUWS and ASR, a particularly misguided and disgusting thing to do.

Thank you to Mike's roommate [name withheld] who sought me out to tell Mike's story here and ask us here at Fornits to try to cripple STICC as a referral source to programs that verifiably kill children and are 100% ineffective.

R.I.P., Mike.  Your dad let you down, but your friends love you eternally.   :peace:

Please add your thoughts to this topic.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2010, 07:49:36 PM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"
Quote from: "DannyB II"

Danny

First......I wish you'd learn to use the quote feature.  It's really not that difficult and it would make wading thru your friggin' shamrocks and "Danny spoke/Ursus spoke" posts much easier.

Second....might I direct your attention to this thread....

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=27903

Quote from: "Guest"
John D. Reuben is a wanna-be EdCon 'who' started a business making referrals to known abusive programs.  He has linked up with some of the most familiar bogeymen of the TTI such as Lon Woodbury, Martha Kolbe and many others, like NATSAP and Aspen Education.

John's son, 'who' was forced into two abusive programs, SUWS and ASR, did not receive the help he desperately needed from the unlicensed, unseducated staff of SUWS and ASR, but he was able to make it through, getting out at age 18.  Since the boy's legitimate psychological issues were never addressed while he was detained by for-profit quacks, his family bond was destroyed and when he came home from ASR he estranged himself from John and went back to his old behaviors (as almost every teen does after being detained by quacks) and got much more deeply into much harder drugs, turning to heroin to get his fix and escape from his terrible problems that his father refused to seek legitimate treatment for.

Eventually Michael Joshua Reuben overdosed on heroin and died due to his father's neglect in his time of need.

John's son Max H. Reuben is also a program veteran, but John declines to say which program.

Please lend your support in researching John's connections to the TTI and those of his firm STICC.

John, if you had followed sound medical advice, Mike would still be with us today.  Max, although still living, is deeply scarred by his experiences that you forced him into.  Now you want other people to follow your example which leads to psychological destruction or even death.  John used paid death notices in newspapers accross the country to draw attention to STICC and to get donations to send other kids to SUWS and ASR, a particularly misguided and disgusting thing to do.

Thank you to Mike's roommate [name withheld] who sought me out to tell Mike's story here and ask us here at Fornits to try to cripple STICC as a referral source to programs that verifiably kill children and are 100% ineffective.

R.I.P., Mike.  Your dad let you down, but your friends love you eternally.   :peace:

Please add your thoughts to this topic.

Anne, at some point I will ask how to do it, Felice calls me a retard. I have not learned and do not want to. I like how I do it.
Second I have read that and many more and have had many conversations with folks I believe that would be more in the know as to who this Whooter really is and yes pun intended. What I have come up with is "the message" what message is he/she delivering. For me it is a message worth reading for the data and conversation. I do not want to get into whether he is a paid shill or not as far as I'm concerned I don't care at this point. Why? Nobody has a shred of proof and y'all are despicable in how you talk about his son. I am not a Whooter anything, just a objective party looking at ongoing contentious relationship.  
I can only hope this is not going to bother you to the point you start to attack me as others have. I am entitled to my own views and will not compromise.
I will make a effort to improve my internet posting....lol.

Danny

Offline elanasshole

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2010, 09:15:16 PM »
Anne you should know better by now I am not going to do it. I have not learned and do not want to. I like how I do it.
Second I have read that and many more and have had many conversations with folks I believe that would be more in the know as to who this Whooter really is. What I have come up with "the message" what message is he/she delievering. For me it is a message worth reading for the data and conversation. I am not going to get into whether he is a paid shill or whatever, I am still having a hard time understanding that concept in regards to fornits anyway.  I can only hope this is not going to bother you to the point you start to attack me as others have. I am entitled to my own views and will not compromise.

Danny

Danny why don't you learn how to write correctly?  Your writing skills suck shit you dumb ass tortilla tit Mexican.  Your views are not worth listening to because you were a child abuser from ELAN and will always be one.  Danny you cannot change old habits.  People on this website think you're a pile of garbage.  You should be in a prison cell for committing crimes against children you asshole.

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2010, 09:27:19 PM »
Quote from: "elanasshole"
Anne you should know better by now I am not going to do it. I have not learned and do not want to. I like how I do it.
Second I have read that and many more and have had many conversations with folks I believe that would be more in the know as to who this Whooter really is. What I have come up with "the message" what message is he/she delievering. For me it is a message worth reading for the data and conversation. I am not going to get into whether he is a paid shill or whatever, I am still having a hard time understanding that concept in regards to fornits anyway.  I can only hope this is not going to bother you to the point you start to attack me as others have. I am entitled to my own views and will not compromise.

Danny

Danny why don't you learn how to write correctly?  Your writing skills suck shit you dumb ass tortilla tit Mexican.  Your views are not worth listening to because you were a child abuser from ELAN and will always be one.  Danny you cannot change old habits.  People on this website think you're a pile of garbage.  You should be in a prison cell for committing crimes against children you asshole.

Thank you, gosh I am so happy you found me. Really I have not had a shadow for awhile. Felice, Sharon or Mark usually handled this job and it may be one of you but I don't think so. Sounds like a angry young man, awe would you like me to hold you, maybe bounce you on my knee.  :waaaa:  :waaaa:  :waaaa:

Danny

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2010, 11:40:51 PM »
Recent Aspen cutback and re-structure
SOURCE: Aspen Education Group
May 17, 2010 08:00 ET

Aspen Education Group Announces Program Conversion, Will Open Talisman School in August 2010
HENDERSONVILLE, NC--(Marketwire - May 17, 2010) -  Aspen Education Group, the leading provider of therapeutic education programs for struggling youth, today announced the conversion of its New Leaf Academy in Hendersonville, North Carolina, to become The Talisman School. The new school will serve the growing number of youth with Asperger's and other autism spectrum disorders, and will open its doors on August 23 of this year.

"There is a growing need in this country for schools dedicated to young people dealing with Asperger's Disorder and high-functioning autism," said Linda Tatsapaugh, current Executive Director of Talisman Programs, and now the Executive Director of the new Talisman School.
"Adolescence may be the most difficult time for an individual with Asperger's or high-functioning autism," explains Tatsapaugh. "In adolescence, social demands become more complex, subtle social cues become more important, and kids with these disorders may have difficulty understanding their peers and the inherent social status structure of high school. Because they are socially naive, the child may not realize when someone is trying to take advantage of them and they can be especially vulnerable to manipulation and peer pressure."

She adds, "This school will be a comfortable place for them to feel safe and be who they are without peer ridicule."
I can't believe how these places actually think that a program environment, one that specifically relies on manipulation and peer pressure to effect behavior modification, and hence, perhaps unavoidably, also peer ridicule, will be of benefit to kids with Asperger's or high-functioning autism.

See also:

Quote from: "AuntieEm2"
Also removing these kids from a familiar home environment. Thoroughly incompetent and wholly self serving.
Separation, Autism, and Residential Treatment
Leigh Solomon, MD, FRCPC1 and Louis Peltz, MD, MSc, FRCPC2,32008 Canadian Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry

Introduction:
We present the case of an 11-year-old boy with autistic disorder who developed a marked escalation in psychiatric symptoms after being removed from his family’s home and placed in a residential setting. Psychiatric sequelae of separating children from their parents have long been recognized (Bowlby, 1951). Children with developmental challenges are often unable to express their feelings with regards to separation due to communicative and cognitive limitations. In addition, it is well appreciated that autistic children are highly reactive to changes in their environment. We hypothesize that autistic children may experience separation in a powerfully traumatic fashion yet may be unable to describe, understand and interpret the feelings of loss and abandonment. There are some case reports in the literature that address the traumatic impact of sexual and physical abuse on children with autistic disorder (Cook et al, 1993). Our case adds to the literature by focusing on the impact of separation and the subsequent development of profound psychiatric symptoms in a child with pervasive developmental disorder sub-type autistic disorder. Some aspects of the case have been changed in order to protect confidentiality.
Case History:
J.D. is an 11-year-old boy with a diagnosis of autistic disorder, based on DSM-IV criteria of language delay, poor social interaction and the presence of repetitive behaviours (American Psychiatric Association, 2000). Nonverbal cognitive functioning is in the normal range. He lived in a family with two parents and a younger brother. At 18 months of age behavioral challenges increased with extensive tantrums and aggressive behaviour. Upon entering school behavioral difficulties continued, resulting in frequent periods of explosive anger towards others. He was often suspended from his classroom. At age 7, J.D. was diagnosed with oppositional defiant disorder as well as autistic disorder. He was also found to have severe disturbance of attention, concentration and impulse control. Psychiatric evaluation revealed obsessional thinking with agitation and dysphoric mood particularly during periods of transition and change.
At age 10, J.D. was admitted, via the emergency room, to a community hospital for the first time. He remained on a psychiatric inpatient unit for approximately one month. He was found to display impulsive and noncompliant behaviour, and was aggressive, particularly toward his mother. He was treated with risperidone and methylphenidate as well as with behavioral interventions. There was mild to moderate improvement in his symptoms, but at the time of discharge, his parents decided to not have him return home. He was subsequently placed in a community group home with 7 other children, visiting his parents on weekends. After a short time in the group home, his presentation changed markedly. He appeared fatigued, withdrawn, depressed and less communicative. Methylphenidate was discontinued, resulting in some improvement in his mood and energy level, but soon afterwards he became distressed and agitated. He began counting repeatedly to 21. At times, he would approach staff saying, “Please help me”. He displayed symptoms of anxiety with repetitive thoughts and dysphoric mood, leading to the addition of fluoxetine to the risperidone.
Five months after his first admission, J.D. was readmitted to the inpatient psychiatric unit in an attempt to stabilize his symptoms and ameliorate his distress. While in hospital, he was generally sad and withdrawn, but at times became explosive and agitated. He responded positively to behavioral interventions and after 3 weeks, was discharged back to the group home.
Two days after returning to the group home J.D. became physically aggressive and injured one of his counselors. Again, he was brought to the Emergency room and was readmitted to the hospital.
A case conference was convened with representatives from the group home, child welfare, family and the inpatient team. It was decided that J.D. should return to his family and that assistance would be provided to support the transition. This decision was strongly encouraged by the treating psychiatrist in the community as well as by the inpatient psychiatrist.
J.D.’s mood and behaviour improved after moving back home to live with his family, although his parents reported that he continued to be aggressive at times, for example pinching them if he didn’t get what he wanted. They reported that his mood was generally happy, and he did not engage in repetitive behaviours or express repetitive thoughts as he had done previously. His medications were gradually discontinued.
Discussion:
This case demonstrates how mental health professionals were unable to identify that escalation of symptoms in a child with autistic disorder was influenced by the impact of separation from his primary attachment figures. J.D. had a long history of oppositional behaviour but his behaviour worsened markedly when he was anxious. Failure to identify that his deterioration was associated with anxiety secondary to separation from his primary attachment figures resulted in unnecessary use of medication, costly inpatient hospitalization and prolonged distress for J.D. and his family.
It is of fundamental importance that practitioners recognize that children with autistic disorder can be very attached to their primary caregivers (Rutgers et al, 2004). Consequently, they may be highly sensitive to separation from a primary attachment figure. Separation may be experienced as emotionally traumatic, with accompanying feelings of fear and helplessness, resulting in an increase in symptoms of anxiety and agitation (Bowlby, 1960).
It is also important to recognize that the expression of trauma in all children is influenced by developmental factors (Salmon and Bryant, 2002). Recently, Scheeringa and colleagues (2006) have suggested that the diagnosis of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) in children be based on criteria that are more sensitive to developmental level. Children with Pervasive Developmental Disorders (PDD), especially those with intellectual disabilities, are even more limited than other children in their ability to understand, interpret and respond appropriately to trauma (Howlin and Clements, 1995). A child with intellectual disability may interpret a move to a residential setting as severe punishment. The child may lack an appreciation of time and be incapable of processing the concept of “temporary”. Cognitive limitations have been shown to be a significant risk factor for the onset of PTSD after traumatic events, for children and adolescents with a diagnosis of PDD. (Turk et al, 2005)
Autistic children have a limited capacity to express affect verbally and may do so behaviorally (Howlin and Clements, 1995). When highly anxious, aggressive behaviors can increase, resulting in a “spiral effect” whereby additional medications are prescribed with little if any benefit. Side effects, such as akathesia and dysphoria, cannot easily be described by the patient but may be interpreted as agitation and mood disturbance, leading to further increases in the dosage of the patient’s medications in an attempt to control symptoms.
Autistic children are overrepresented in residential settings. They often present with major behavioral challenges. Symptoms of aggression, agitation and poor impulse control may lead to psychiatric evaluation, hospitalization and/or treatment with medications. This case clearly illustrates how symptoms in this vulnerable population may escalate after being placed in a residential setting. Reaction to trauma, including the trauma of separation, should be considered in assessing such children.

Articles from Journal of the Canadian Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry are provided here courtesy of
Canadian Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Asperger's and high-functioning autism
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2010, 07:01:32 AM »
"Adolescence may be the most difficult time for an individual with Asperger's or high-functioning autism," explains Tatsapaugh. "In adolescence, social demands become more complex, subtle social cues become more important, and kids with these disorders may have difficulty understanding their peers and the inherent social status structure of high school. Because they are socially naive, the child may not realize when someone is trying to take advantage of them and they can be especially vulnerable to manipulation and peer pressure."

She adds, "This school will be a comfortable place for them to feel safe and be who they are without peer ridicule."
I can't believe how these places actually think that a program environment, one that specifically relies on manipulation and peer pressure to effect behavior modification, and hence, perhaps unavoidably, also peer ridicule, will be of benefit to kids with Asperger's or high-functioning autism.

See also:

This place provides an environment which will not have peer ridicule.

hahahahahahahaahahahahahahahah OMG.. I don't know how many fights I had to split up because kids were ripping on each other.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2010, 08:03:04 AM »
Quote from: "Che Gookin"
hahahahahahahaahahahahahahahah OMG.. I don't know how many fights I had to split up because kids were ripping on each other.

I know it is awful.  I have seen it myself,too.  Now take that ridicule and magnify it by 100 because kids with Aspergers don’t pick up social cues very well.  Kids with Apsergers are at a severe disadvantage in regular schools and typically do not do very well and are a magnet for teasing.  Home schooling is probably the best route for them and, although, I don’t recommend kids with Aspergers be placed into programs it is good to see they are starting to develop programs which are sensitive to their specific needs and provide a safe environment free from ridicule.

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2010, 08:49:33 AM »

See also:

This place provides an environment which will not have peer ridicule.

My apologies Che, for not getting it myself. Your point. When I am wrong I will admit it, When I am a ass I will also.
I was wrong and a ass.
(I deleted the stupid post)

Danny
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 07:35:18 PM by DannyB II »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2010, 06:11:46 PM »
 I know it is awful.  I have seen it myself,too.  Now take that ridicule and magnify it by 100 because kids with Aspergers don’t pick up social cues very well.  Kids with Apsergers are at a severe disadvantage in regular schools and typically do not do very well and are a magnet for teasing.  Home schooling is probably the best route for them and, although, I don’t recommend kids with Aspergers be placed into programs it is good to see they are starting to develop programs which are sensitive to their specific needs and provide a safe environment free from ridicule.
I'd respectfully beg to differ with you, Whooter, as far as putting kids with Aspergers into any kind of program, even one which, in the best case scenario, is geared towards their particular needs. Most Aspies that I know or whose blogs I have read would prefer to be mainstreamed, albeit with some additional support services in place when it comes to learning social skills for negotiating existence in a predatory world.

Most programs, which utilize group pressure to conform as a means of effecting their behavior modification, are a real anathema to kids with Aspergers. While these kids may be a bit of a magnet for some teasing in the public school system, it's nothing compared to being singled out and psychologically eviscerated like they might be in program. Hyde School calls such a concept Brother's Keeper, lol. About the only Biblical allusion that comes to mind re. Aspies and "brothers keeper" is that of leading lambs to slaughter.

Personal opinions aside, I also find it highly unbelievable that Aspen Education could possibly come up with something like an Aspergers / high-functioning autistics program, especially considering how abysmally they've already failed with their recently closed Cedars Academy. I certainly hope they don't plan to replicate what went on there.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2010, 07:44:21 PM »
Personal opinions aside, I also find it highly unbelievable that Aspen Education could possibly come up with something like an Aspergers / high-functioning autistics program, especially considering how abysmally they've already failed with their recently closed Cedars Academy. I certainly hope they don't plan to replicate what went on there.

Where does that statement come from, Ursus?  Why deceive the readers?  Why say that they abysmally failed with their recently closing……  etc.  Why not:  “Hewlett Packard bought 400 acres adjacent to Cedars Academy for a research facility which drove up abutting property values to the point that Cedars Academy could not compete therefore forcing them to close.”

Why not explain how they failed so badly?  (you know how we all love a juicy story of "doom and gloom") Do you know why you left that out?  Did you forget to add it or just didnt know?  or maybe felt the readers were not interested?

But aside from that…..If you had to chose a program which helped kids with Aspergers would you choose a company which has past experience with running a program with these children and can demonstrate successes or one who was just starting out?  I think Aspens’ past record with working with Aspergers children gives them an advantage in the industry.

Offline Pile of Dead Kids

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2010, 09:47:01 PM »
Wait, that's seriously your excuse? An increase in property taxes from an industry moving in next door? Really?

Now if you had said something like "a building full of computer geeks isn't likely to approve of the torture of Asperger's kids right next door, so Aspen had to get the fuck out", that might be more believable.
...Sergey Blashchishen, James Shirey, Faith Finley, Katherine Rice, Ashlie Bunch, Brendan Blum, Caleb Jensen, Alex Cullinane, Rocco Magliozzi, Elisa Santry, Dillon Peak, Natalynndria Slim, Lenny Ortega, Angellika Arndt, Joey Aletriz, Martin Anderson, James White, Christening Garcia, Kasey Warner, Shirley Arciszewski, Linda Harris, Travis Parker, Omega Leach, Denis Maltez, Kevin Christie, Karlye Newman, Richard DeMaar, Alexis Richie, Shanice Nibbs, Levi Snyder, Natasha Newman, Gracie James, Michael Owens, Carlton Thomas, Taylor Mangham, Carnez Boone, Benjamin Lolley, Jessica Bradford's unnamed baby, Anthony Parker, Dysheka Streeter, Corey Foster, Joseph Winters, Bruce Staeger, Kenneth Barkley, Khalil Todd, Alec Lansing, Cristian Cuellar-Gonzales, Janaia Barnhart, a DRA victim who never even showed up in the news, and yet another unnamed girl at Summit School...

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2010, 01:12:41 AM »
Why deceive the readers?
Lol. Coming from YOU, of all people, I'd wager that was a Freudian slip.   :D

Of course, the main reason for Cedars Academy's demise probably had a lot more to do with economics than anything else, due to, for the most part, Aspen Education itself being a lot more concerned with economics than it is with anything else. Maybe not. Their official press release about the matter was noticeably silent as to official cause. Perhaps you know something the rest of us don't?

Aspen acquired Cedars in November of 2003, if I recall correctly, and by that time Cedars had already gone through some "changes in focus" as to the clientele it served (not to mention some flagrant licensing violations, but that wasn't specifically Aspen's fault). Aspen continued that trend of adjusting the focus, probably hoping to exploit niche marketing to their advantage, but ... I guess it didn't work out for them.

Not surprisingly, Talisman would appear to be the same kind of "focus adjustment" in response to market pressures. There's no sin in that, to be sure, but it does belie your description of Aspen's "past experience with running a program with these children" and their "demonstrate[d] successes."

I think Aspens' past record with working with Aspergers children gives them an advantage in the industry.
Uh... link to some proof or substantiation for that claim?

Quite frankly, I just don't see Aspen's alleged expertise nor commitment to Aspies or high-function autistics. I just see their commitment to creating programs which appear to exploit an expected market based on current cultural diagnosing trends.

If I were a parent struggling with some difficult decisions regarding my kid, and I knew some of Aspen's history with regard to exaggerating their alleged "expertise," not to mention their contribution to adolescent mortality rates, I'd be hard pressed to believe some of their hard sell.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2010, 01:11:48 AM »
While not wanting to smile on the misfortune of the many Americans who are doing it tough in the current economic climate, it seems that this is the upside of the recession. My hope is that when things pick up enough people will realize that their kids can survive the tough years and hopefully eventually thrive without a program, just as they are forced to all over the world in places that do not have this industry,  and the damage will be permanent.
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen