Author Topic: Valley View School Abuse  (Read 25025 times)

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
Re: Valley View School Abuse
« Reply #90 on: May 31, 2010, 10:46:25 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
Non sequitur this, or maybe not! Just happened to espy your user stats after your last post, Whooter:
Whooter
    phpBB Frequent poster

::evil::  ·  ::evil::  ·  ::evil::  ·  ::evil::  ·  ::evil::  ·  ::evil::

Need to change that.... I will not sleep well.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Eliscu2

• New World Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 01, 2010, 08:00:58 AM »
:eek:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 12:49:09 AM by Eliscu2 »
WELCOME TO HELL!

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 01, 2010, 09:25:54 AM »
Quote from: "Eliscu2"
Quote from: "Ursus"
Non sequitur this, or maybe not! Just happened to espy your user stats after your last post, Whooter:
Whooter
    phpBB Frequent poster

::evil::  ·  ::evil::  ·  ::evil::  ·  ::evil::  ·  ::evil::  ·  ::evil::

Priceless!
Whooty side-stepping the Elan School question on post # 666
Elan School, PO Box 578, Poland, Maine 04274-0578, Tel: (207) 998-4666
Skull n Bones baby! :poison:

Eliscu2, I read back over the posts and I dont see that I avoided any question.  I addressed your post.  Maybe you intended something that wasnt there or expected a specific response.  What you can try (and what I typically do when I am in your situation) is to rephrase the question or point out the question that was missed.

Interesting Trivia… 666 is also:
The sum of the digits from 1 thru 36….
And the only number to include all of the Roman numerals (under 1,000)  in exact descending order….
DCLXVI.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 01, 2010, 11:07:36 AM »
Maybe this question?:

Do you think Elan is funny?

I don’t think Elan is funny but I do find it ironic that the school is named Elan.  My understanding of the word is quite different than others.  Elan is also a neurological event.  Consider this phrase for a moment:

I was rejected vs. I was “in” rejected.  By inserting the word “in” into the sentence it produces a stimuli "Early left anterior negativity"(ELAN) which stops the brain from understanding the sentence because it doesn’t make sense.  This abrupt stoppage of the brain is what causes the ELAN.  Eventually your brain will adapt.  But it will adapt to something different.

In understanding language the brain steps thru as follows:
1.   Group of individual words
2.   Word order
3.   Spoken words (orally or thru thought)
4.   Then understanding. (cognitive thought)

If you screw with the “word order” then the brain emits an ELAN (Neurological response) and the brain cannot move forward with its processing of the sentence and is subsequently derailed.  Word order is a prerequisite to understanding and relying on the rules.

Maybe this was the underlying premise of the school? To change the way you view the world thru constant manipulation of the rules until the broken rules feel normal.  Once the brain is in a state of ELAN there is a very short window of opportunity to alter its perception and to have it follow a new set of rules.  These rules may or may not be consistent with the rules society has defined as normal.

Something to think about.

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 01, 2010, 03:41:41 PM »
Quote from: "Whooter"
Maybe this question?:

I don’t think Elan is funny but I do find it ironic that the school is named Elan.  My understanding of the word is quite different than others.  Elan is also a neurological event.  Consider this phrase for a moment:

I was rejected vs. I was “in” rejected.  By inserting the word “in” into the sentence it produces a stimuli "Early left anterior negativity"(ELAN) which stops the brain from understanding the sentence because it doesn’t make sense.  This abrupt stoppage of the brain is what causes the ELAN.  Eventually your brain will adapt.  But it will adapt to something different.

2.   Word order

If you screw with the “word order” then the brain emits an ELAN (Neurological response) and the brain cannot move forward with its processing of the sentence and is subsequently derailed.  Word order is a prerequisite to understanding and relying on the rules.

Maybe this was the underlying premise of the school? To change the way you view the world thru constant manipulation of the rules until the broken rules feel normal.  Once the brain is in a state of ELAN there is a very short window of opportunity to alter its perception and to have it follow a new set of rules.  These rules may or may not be consistent with the rules society has defined as normal.

Something to think about....

This is exactly why I am glad your here, because you get it where others don't.
Thanks for that intellectual tidbit on "Elan".
Seriously.....

Danny
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline Awake

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 01, 2010, 04:33:22 PM »
Quote from: "Whooter"
Maybe this question?:

2.   Word order

Something to think about.

I think there’s something to this Whooter. Early Left Anterior Negativity (ELAN) has it’s roots in Neurolinguistics and describes a disruption that occurs in the brain when expected rules are broken. Elan is also identified as a certain brainwave pattern that occurs in the anterior cingulate, which is an error detection wave.

The anterior cingulate cortex (ACC) is the frontal part of the cingulate cortex, that resembles a "collar" form around the corpus callosum, the fibrous bundle that relays neural signals between the right and left cerebral hemispheres of the brain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anterior_cingulate_cortex

It makes sense that Early Left Anterior Negativity comes out of neurolinguistics because it shares the same characteristics as the “pattern interrupt technique” in Neuro-Linguistic Programming ( I posted this on NLP a little while ago    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30591 ). And not at all unrelated to NLP is the area of hypnosis that makes use of brain lateralization as a core part of the process. The basic concept is to depotentiate the left brain, that is the cognitive ‘thinking’ side  associated with consciousness (with fixation, exhaustion and confusion), and stimulate the right brain, which is the creative, affective side. Hypnosis would also move from  anterior to posterior brain lateralization as the posterior part is associated with past events versus the anterior which is focused on the present. You are likely to find that the common model for hypnosis is FIXATE ATTENTION, BYPASS THE CONSIOUS MIND, STIMULATE THE UNCONSCIOUS.

It would not surprise me at all to find that the name ELAN was chosen to symbolize the depotentiating of ones critical faculty.  This is a very interesting connection and there’s ample evidence to think it might be the case because when you look into it you find,

“A Working Model of the Neurophysiology of Hypnotic Relaxation

ANTERIOR INHIBITORY PROCESSES

Fronto-Limbic Supervisory Attentional System.We went on to examine evidence of frontal inhibition in the context of a model of a supervisory attentional system which involves the frontal lobes and limbic system (Posner & Peterson, 1990; Shallice & Burgess, 1991). This system monitors ongoing activity and modulates behaviour in response to novelty, as in orienting, and when environmental stimuli convey conflicting information…..

The error detection wave has been localised to a midline anterior cingulate generator (Dehaene et al, 1994), a promising candidate for involvement in hypnosis. The anterior cingulate performs executive functions which have been subdivided into affective and cognitive components (Devinsky et al, 1995). The cognitive executive component is involved in response selection in advance of any movement and in cognitively demanding information processing such as Stroop interference, localised by blood flow imaging and lesion studies to the anterior cingulate. The affective executive functions are involved in regulation of autonomic and endocrine functions, assessment of motivational context and significance of sensory stimuli and emotional valence. These are mediated through extensive connections with the amygdala and periaqueductal grey and autonomic brainstem nuclei. Our results have indicated that the monitoring of motor performance carried out by the cognitive executive component remained intact, for the error detection wave and RTs were unchanged by hypnosis. Rather the affect system involving connections with the rostral limbic system including the amygdala would appear to be unresponsive with hypnosis, as shown by the absence of the error evaluation wave and apparently motivational influences on performance. This interpretation is also in keeping with the reduced electrodermal orienting activity reflecting a reduction in excitatory modulatory influences of the amygdala. Dissociation between cognitive and affective anterior cingulate executive systems would explain the increase in the Stroop interference effect with hypnosis.

Left Anterior Inhibition. There is evidence that anterior inhibition may be laterally asymmetrical and biased towards the left hemisphere in hypnosis. This was disclosed by measuring right and left hemisphere processing times with a haptic object sorting task in two studies (Gruzelier et al, 1984).

In summary there was further evidence of a selectivity of neurophysiological action of hypnosis shown through examination of anterior inhibitory influences:- 1) the dissociation between error detection and error evaluation waves; 2) the left lateralised influences on haptic processing and the improvement in right-sided processing that was specific to the active-alert induction; 3) the specificity within the left hemisphere for the effects on verbal fluency which were restricted to letter and not semantic designated categories; 4) the localisation of the changes in EEG coherence to within the left frontal lobe; 5) the restriction of the EEG coherence changes to the high alpha band.
http://www.mcmaster.ca/inabis98/woody/g ... 4/two.html

Cognitive Neuroscience Theory

Cognitive Neuroscience based theories of hypnosis explain hypnotic phenomenon patterns of brain activity. One researcher, John Gruzelier, used EEG data to show that hypnosis is characterized by a shift in brain activity from anterior (front) to posterior (back).  Other research shows increased activity on the right side of the brain, and decreased activity on the left, and more specifically changes in activity in certain areas of brain associated things like verbal skills.
http://hypnosisschool.org/hypnotic/hypnotism.php

In hypnosis
there is an inhibition of frontal functions, more so
on the left side than the right, and when the aim is
to induce relaxation with hypnosis, there is an
accentuation of posterior functions, greater in the
right hemisphere.
http://qjmed.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/rep ... /4/313.pdf

Neurolinguistics   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurolinguistics

Violation-based

Many studies in neurolinguistics take advantage of anomalies or violations of syntactic or semantic rules in experimental stimuli, and analyzing the brain responses elicited when a subject encounters these violations. For example, sentences beginning with phrases such as *the garden was on the worked,[45] which violates an English phrase structure rule, often elicit a brain response called the early left anterior negativity (ELAN).[36] Violation techniques have been in use since at least 1980,[36] when Kutas and Hillyard first reported ERP evidence that semantic violations elicited an N400 effect.[46] Using similar methods, in 1992, Lee Osterhout first reported the P600 response to syntactic anomalies.[47] Violation designs have also been used for hemodynamic studies (fMRI and PET): Embick and colleagues, for example, used grammatical and spelling violations to investigate the location of syntactic processing in the brain using fMRI.[20] Another common use of violation designs is to combine two kinds of violations in the same sentence and thus make predictions about how different language processes interact with one another; this type of crossing-violation study has been used extensively to investigate how syntactic and semantic processes interact while people read or hear sentences

Early left anterior negativity  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_left ... negativity

The early left anterior negativity (commonly referred to as ELAN) is an event-related potential in electroencephalography (EEG), or component of brain activity that occurs in response to a certain kind of stimulus. It is characterized by a negative-going wave that peaks around 200 milliseconds or less after the onset of a stimulus,[1][2] and most often occurs in response to linguistic stimuli that violate word-category or phrase structure rules (as in *the in room instead of in the room).[3][4][5] As such, it is frequently a topic of study in neurolinguistics experiments, specifically in areas such as sentence processing. While it is frequently used in language research, there is no evidence yet that it is necessarily a language-specific phenomenon.

To summarize the three important ERP (event related potential)-components: First of all there occurs the ELAN at the left frontal lobe which shows a violation of syntactical rules. After it follows the N400 in central and paritial areas as a reaction to a semantical incorrectness and finally there occurs a P600 in the paritial area which probably means a reanalysis of the wrong sentence.  http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cognitive_ ... prehension

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 01, 2010, 10:22:37 PM »
Would you reccomend sending a kid there?

Ya Felice the Elan that you write about is "funny" because you use it as a weapon. Your Elan is a cliche`,  a gimmick, some side show to use for entertainment, ya Felice Elan is funny. Your funny Elan.
Whooter I"ll take the creaming.....lol.

Danny
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline Valley View LIES

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2010, 09:42:15 PM »
Valley View is indeed a dangerous place and has no "therapeutic" qualities at all.  Their website is filled with lie after lie about a mostly non-existant staff and the school's lack of purpose.  The truth is that they have NO counselors for the kids and have NO sessions for the boys to improve on anything.  It is just a big fake lie from start to finish.  They found a niche for sucker parents who are desperate for a solution to their unruly kid and WHAM-O into VV they go.  They charge $60,000 per year and provide nothing more than room and board and extremely poor, and often, NO supervision.  Kids get beat up regularly, drugs are ignored by the young night staff, and student bullies constantly threaten the smaller students.  Valley View is NOT a place to consider.

Trust me on this - I sent my child there and had to pull him out for his safety.  It is a very scary and 100% NON-therapeutic.  AVOID THIS SCHOOL.

Offline Valley View LIES

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 22, 2010, 09:50:22 PM »
There are some strange posts on here for sure, but the strangest of all are those that say that Valley View is a good school.  Is is a fact that Valley View school is HORRIBLE and that Phil Spiva is a MEAN and SELFISH man.  That school has nothing positive to offer anyone.  They are an expensive FRAUD.  I have experience with the school and know first hand how bad they are.  The police officers in the region who I spoke with about the school also have nothing decent to say about the school.  it is BAD for your child.  Do NOT send your son there or you will regret it forever.  Valley View school is DAMAGING to the children they house.

Offline Eliscu2

• New World Order
    • View Profile
nothing
« Reply #99 on: July 23, 2010, 06:40:45 PM »
:seg2:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 12:48:35 AM by Eliscu2 »
WELCOME TO HELL!

Offline Eliscu2

• New World Order
    • View Profile
Valley View School Abuse Results
« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2010, 04:17:45 AM »
:wall:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 12:47:53 AM by Eliscu2 »
WELCOME TO HELL!

Offline throwaway

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 26, 2011, 04:41:09 PM »
Was I a problem child? Yes. Was VVS good for me? NO.

I attended VVS and I have very negative things to say about it. The night staff have the permission to physically "detain" kids and while they don't use it often, some were out of line. While they eventually left, it was pretty horrible. The day staff (teachers) were a lot nicer and more professional, and I actually learned things from them. However, what happened after VVS was a disaster for me.

I ended up essentially "being asked to leave" my next school (Dunn) and I was completely unprepared for a real world environment. I ended up by accident in a small private school for highschool which was a godsend (they were all about emotional wellbeing). If it wasn't for that school, I doubt I'd be where I was today. I ended up failing my first three semesters at college and dealing with crippling depression for the next year and a half. I'm now 23 and doing extremely well, but only because I've moved out and have been attending REAL therapy.

Now, you could say "well throwaway, you may have been unique, more of a 'failure' then the other students". Well, the school I attended after Valley View was Dunn. There were 4 other students from VVS there. Two of them were expelled, one "chose not to return'' in the middle of the year, and the last was a known troublemaker.

When I left VVS, they were courting younger students in an attempt to no longer deal with the more troubled students of the past. This seems like a huge goddamn mistake as the staff didn't get any easier. Also, when I left, phil spiva was in the process of being replaced by rick bulgar, and scott longvall can burn in hell.

tldr, you send your kids to VVS, they WILL receive physical and emotional abuse, they WILL be forced to work in a work program, and there's a good chance they'll be unprepared for the outside world

(i attended two years from 2002-2004)

Offline throwaway

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 26, 2011, 04:46:07 PM »
The person who posted such an unfounded attack on Dr. Spiva should be ashamed. Valley View, under Dr. Spiva's leadership and guidance has helped countless young men find their way in a world that seemed totally against them. Is the program tough? Yes. Does it ask a lot of the boys?Yes. Does it teach them tolerance, resposibility, respect for themselves and others? Yes And how to cope in the world? Yes.
I personally know several young men who probably would not be in this world today if not for their experience at VVS and who are doing very well in their lives. To insult the program and especially Dr. Spiva with such despicable accusations can only be the actions of a malicious person who failed to learn the valuable lessons avaliable to them while at VVS. Dr. Spiva you have my total support.
A parent of a successful VVS graduate.

The program is tough. It did ask a lot of us. It also taught us that "faggot" is a good word, that if you do something wrong and you'll get screamed at and thrown around. Like I mentioned above, pretty much every student I went to school with from VVS ended up "leaving" under negative circumstances.

Yeah, I sure failed to learn lessons. Six years later, with REAL therapy, I'm a straight A student who is a year and a half from graduating. You were lucky that your son was so resilient or knew how to play the game going in.
So yeah, it can ONLY be the actions of a malicious failure. Thanks for painting everyone who disagrees with you that way.

Offline Eliscu2

• New World Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2013, 12:01:20 AM »
My brother Mathew B. Eliscu (chumply) is having a few problems with the Valley View School Alumni.
When he pulls the needle out of his arm he might remember begging me to help him expose the abuse at Valley View School.
Meanwhile I'll be laughing my ass off at the fact that he still bothers to  threaten to ruin my life.... :-)
WELCOME TO HELL!

Offline PeterStrom

• Heck, das Leben ist vorbei, bevor es begonnen
    • View Profile
    • Domestic prisoners of conscience
« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2013, 03:00:38 AM »
I found 3 reviews here: https://plus.google.com/105607162811790217090/about

----
I sent my son to vvs to help him with some behavior problems he was never depressed i found out after 2 years of paying 70000 / a year he was being betten and abused and the staff encouraged that it was like prison the mentallty and how life was there when he came home he was completely messed up he was 20x worse then when he went in he was mentally destroyed he couldnt function in daily life and last week he killed him self and left a suside note blameing vvs i found out this happend multiple times DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD HERE OR HE WILL DIE

---
DO NOT SEND YOUR KIDS HERE THEY ENCOURGE BULLYING AND PHYSICAL VIOLENCE THEY WILL MAKE SURE KIDS BEAT UP YOUR KID AND MAKE HIS LIFE MISERABLE IT LOOKS GARTE ON PAPER OR WHEN YOU VIST BUT THE WORSE COMES OUT WHEN THE PARENTS LEAVE YOU WONT KNOW TILL YOU GET A CAL FROM THE ER BEACUSE YOUR KIDS WAS BEATEN WITH A HOCKEY SSTICK AND STABED OR BEACUSE 10 KIDS GANGED UP AND BEET THE CRAP OUT OF A INCENT KID THEY WILL COVER IT UP AND VALLEY VEIW IS GETTING SUED BEACUSE OF THIS THIS IS AWEFUL PALCE MY KID NOW HAS PTSD PTSD. For years, HE nightmares in which he was back in the valley view dorms. Loud noises and voices caused me to flinch even into his 20s, and any time someone was angry with he immediately got a fight-or-flight response: he didn't want to be picked up and thrown or restrained. --- Valley View's only saving grace is that it is far less horrible than Elan, but there are still better things out there.

---
I am an ex-student who was sent for 2.5 years (graduating around 2002). After I left, I was fortunate enough to eventually end up in a school that focused on positive reinforcement. Without that, I would be in a very different place than I am today. ---  Between that fortunate school and VVS, I attended another boarding school with 3 other VVS graduates. All of us but one were expelled or "left" within the first year; the last was a known troublemaker. I don't know what happened to him. ---  Valley View School left me with what I think was basically PTSD. For years, I had nightmares in which I was back in the valley view dorms. Loud noises and voices caused me to flinch even into my 20s, and any time someone was angry with me I immediately got a fight-or-flight response: I didn't want to be picked up and thrown or restrained. --- Valley View's only saving grace is that it is far less horrible than Elan, but there are still better things out there.

---
Short to say. Sounds like what you could expect from such a place.
---
Accountant, Heisenhof Beerstube
Volunteer for Domestic prisoners of conscience