Author Topic: Vent  (Read 6733 times)

Offline Samara

• View Profile
Vent
« on: May 12, 2010, 10:06:27 PM »
Right now, I am feeling misanthropic and need to vent. I have become slowly disillusioned by my job which I really don't think of as helpful. There is a sense of entitlement and laziness and conformity that makes me ill. My school is charter and publicly funded and we are supposed to be transparent. However, the level of censorship surpasses that of a Christian private school... the board and the CEO apply a lot of illegal political and religious pressure on the employees.  Financially, it is unethical. Admin at our charter school are running for and winning (we have extreme right wing political cronies to help) board seats at our good public schools so they can influence ideology and finances in favor of ours. When people start to ask questions, they are removed. I recently was warned that someone was forced to sign a paper to state that she would never say anything adverse about our school or practices to any person or be fired on the spot. It was because she questioned inefficient and unethical practices. (Is this even legal?)  Her husband was just laid off, so she has no recourse... the economy is bad and it is hard to get a job elsewhere. I am so sickened that they did this, and was only warned by the very frightened person so that I could protect myself. It is all very Big Brother.  People have tried to rebel or send anonymous letters to be summarily fired. Now, people are in dire straights (economy) and can't find other jobs. The funny thing is the people being targeted are intellectuals and ethical. The ones who see initiatives that all for show and don't work. The people running the show and being promoted have breeched every type of fiduciary and ethical code.  Some people have been purposely misrepresented to tarnish their reputations. I am totally sickened and have to support my kids.

But in general, I'm just fed up by the materialism, the lack of discretion, the 24/7 media, the total lack of boundaries... I also live in the most socially hierarchical, classist, ultracrazyconservative town chock full of religious hypocrites. (I've lived in a LOT of places, so I'm not just complaining for no reason. This is the worst. By far.)

I am tired of watching all the power struggles and attempts of social and interpersonal control on a daily basis. I just don't have the stomach for it. I feel like I am too sensitive to it all and I wish I were blind and dumb. Ignorance is bliss. There isn't one part of me that wishes to control or compete with others, and certainly not in a way that is politicized and compulsory and demeaning.

I feel like running off to live in a hut in Timbuktu today. I'm disillusioned with society and cynically view everything as Lord of the Flies.
I hate cynicism.

I know I sound like a paranoid nut job, but I just need to vent now so I don't pull down anyone at work and tomorrow I'll buck up.
Thank you for letting me.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Dr Fucktard

• View Profile
Re: Vent
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 10:57:59 PM »
I think you need to stop worrying about what the others are doing, and focus on yourself!

Try applying the 7 steps; have they ever let you down???

Offline Samara

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 11:01:10 PM »
Oh, F.  Pbbbbt!    Chatting with one of your favorite 7 steppers now.  His remedy is a lot better.

Offline elanasshole

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 11:20:03 PM »
Postby Dr Fucktard » Today, 03:57
I think you need to stop worrying about what the others are doing, and focus on yourself!

Try applying the 7 steps; have they ever let you down???

« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 12:12:59 AM by elanasshole »

Offline Samara

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 11:29:22 PM »
WTF gives you that idea?   I'm a troll? Oh Jesus. Laugh out fucking loud. Whatever. I probably personally know more people at this site than you do.

Offline RTP2003

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 11:33:32 PM »
I think he was talking about the esteemed Dr. F.......
RTP2003 fought in defense of the Old Republic

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 11:36:09 PM »
Watch that movie Kick Ass.. I'm watching it now and I can't stop laughing.

Offline Samara

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 11:37:36 PM »
RTP - Oh thanks... I do not know elanasshole. But his or her name is pretty straightfoward.
Yeah, but I know Doc Fuckaroo and I also know you from a year ago. :)

I am just in a bitch of a combative mood, which is unlike me.

I wish someone would give me permission to just kick their ass today.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 11:43:37 PM »
Heh.. I know what you mean about fucked up jobs. What keeps you there though?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 11:51:16 PM »
One of the problems with Charter Schools is that they are potentially a hotbed of ideological zealots and yes, corruption... These are people that have their own ideas about "education" which, theoretically, would include improvements on the standard public school model, but which, more often than not, improve certain folks' salaries more than anything else. Anyone else notice how the CEOs of these places make substantially more than any other school official on the planet, and yet the actual teachers tend to have less job security and benefits than even their regular public school counterparts?

Is it any wonder that certain former execs of the Brown Schools have gotten involved with Charters (do a search for "Camelot")? Hyde Schools has a bunch of public charters in their stable of behavior modification joints as well...

Y'all might be interested in Jim Horn's blog Schools Matter, which is very much focused on what is wrong with the Charter School system as it actually functions in the here and now.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Samara

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 11:51:44 PM »
My kids. I support them wholly and the economy is tanked. Plus, it is one of thsoe things I've grown more acutely aware of.... I wish I didn't. I'd rather be ignorant. I have a mortgage, their insurance, and a little flexibility so I can actually be there for them. I will be looking... but need net first.

Offline Samara

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 11:59:32 PM »
I could write a book on Charter corruption. It is bad. I'm jaded. I don't even feel it is good for the vast majority of the kids. At least regular brick and mortar schools are required to have transparency. The smoke and mirrors of some charter - expecially cyber - is unbelievable.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 12:26:38 AM »
Quote from: "Samara"
I could write a book on Charter corruption. It is bad. I'm jaded. I don't even feel it is good for the vast majority of the kids. At least regular brick and mortar schools are required to have transparency. The smoke and mirrors of some charter - expecially cyber - is unbelievable.
You might like a recent post of that blog, Vulture Philanthropists Double Their "Social Investments" in 7 Years, excerpt of which follows. This is from a transcript of a May 7, 2010, news segment originally aired on Democracy Now:

AMY GOODMAN: Juan, before we move on to the Gulf, you have a very interesting column in the "New York Daily News" today, an exposé around big banks and charter schools.

JUAN GONZALEZ: Yes, Amy, one of the things I’ve been trying now for a couple of years is to try to figure out why is it that so many hedge fund managers, wealthy Americans, and big banks, Wall Street banks- executives of Wall Street banks, have all lined-up supporting and getting involved in the development of charter schools. I think I may have come across one of the reasons. There’s a lot of money to be made in charter schools, and I’m not talking just about the for-profit management companies that run a lot of these charter schools. It turns out that at the tail end of the Clinton administration in 2000, Congress passed a new kind of tax credit called a New Markets tax credit. What this allows is it gives enormous federal tax credit to banks and equity funds that invest in community projects in underserved communities and it’s been used heavily now for the last several years for charter schools. I have focused on Albany, New York, which in New York state, is the district with the highest percentage of children in charter schools, twenty percent of the schoolchildren in Albany attend are now attending charter schools. I discovered that quite a few of the charter schools there have been built using these New Markets tax credits. What happens is the investors who put up the money to build charter schools get to basically or virtually double their money in seven years through a thirty-nine percent tax credit from the federal government. In addition, this is a tax credit on money that their lending, so they’re also collecting interest on the loans as well as getting the thirty-nine percent tax credit. They piggy-back the tax credit on other kinds of federal tax credits like historic preservation or job creation or brownfields credits.

The result is, you can put in ten million dollars and in seven years double your money. The problem is, that the charter schools end up paying in rents, the debt service on these loans and so now, a lot fo the charter schools in Albany are straining paying their debt service- their rent has gone up from $170,000 to $500,000 in a year or- huge increases in their rents as they strain to pay off these loans, these construction loans. The rents are eating-up huge portions of their total cost. And, of course, the money is coming from the state. One of the big issues is that so many of these charter schools are not being audited. No one knows who are the people making these huge windfall profits as the investors. Often, there are interlocking relationships between the charter school boards and the nonprofit groups that organize and syndicate the loans. There needs to be some light on this whole issue and the state legislature right now is considering expanding charter school caps, but one of the things I press for my column, there has to be the power of the government to independently audit all of these charter schools or we’re not going to know how public dollars are ending up in the coffers of Wall Street investors.

AMY GOODMAN: Congratulations on doing this and we’ll continue to expose it as you do.

Offline justonemore

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 12:39:46 PM »
Dear samara ( odd tag, don't ya think?)
It is good to feel misanthropic. it is righteous. However, The whole thing rings a little false. I spent 8 years as witness for the prosecution, done gov't service, done contract for cop-shop, done vehicle recovery, warrant-work, seemingly ad infinitum. I admit, I'm an insensitive bastard, yet I try so hard to be reasonable.
I've dealt with people in extremis for effing decades, and been one myself, a time or two. Your story doesn't hold water.
I find that i resent it, I resent lies. Lies are what get people killed, one way and another. Do you want to educate the young? or indoctrinate them? If you want to educate them, teach them to read greek ( hellenic, not modern) teach them to read roman latin, teach them logic and math. Teach them to argue.
hate whom you will, but if you teach the children only what you believe, you will spend decades paying for it.
I don't want to pay for it with you. J.O.M.

Offline Samara

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 01:38:51 PM »
Just one:
WTF are you to say my tag is wacky? If you read literature, maybe you would get it.  I just wrote the whole post against indoctrination, conformity and censorship as well as against shady business practices that were harmful to educators and education. One of my biggest problems here is they don't ALLOW us to teach critical thinking or Socratic method. We have a hard time getting Spanish and French in must less Hellenic Greek. Obviously, you are just a pretentious schmuck who posts your resume as a "seen it all, done it all" type who hasn't seen sh*t or you would recognize that this stuff really happens.  or get a subscription to Atlantic Monthly. Jesus.  

I don't think you are that reasonable, but you do remind me of someone.

Speaking of odd tags: Does Just One More stand for Just One More Drink? Because that would make sense.