Author Topic: Corporal punishment in Texas schools  (Read 743 times)

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
Corporal punishment in Texas schools
« on: May 12, 2010, 06:09:24 PM »
I saw a piece about the Jamie's House Charter School

I have learned that corporal punishment is allowed in Texas but somehow a teacher went too far:

Sheri Lynn Davis fired for beating student in class
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
Re: Corporal punishment in Texas schools
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 07:42:04 PM »
The audio commentary over the video from Oscar’s link reports that students “felt intimidated by some teachers since the video went public”.
They claim other employees saw the incident, but did nothing.School administrators put the teacher (Sheri Lynn Davis) on leave and only fired her after seeing the video that a student had recorded.
I wonder why the number of witnesses wasn’t enough to rouse the school administrators to fire her. Incidentally, that last person seen on the footage appears to be an adult and is dressed in the same blue as was the assailant teacher, unlike what the many kids are wearing. Was that a staff member?
Are all staff on student beatings going to require video documentation before somebody calls the cops?
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Corporal punishment in Texas schools
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 07:47:55 PM »
Christ.. I couldn't even finish watching it. That's some seriously messed up business.