Author Topic: new JRC Article  (Read 16228 times)

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
Re: new JRC Article
« Reply #165 on: May 19, 2010, 09:21:44 AM »
Quote from: "SUCK IT"
Quote from: "John Whooter Reuben"
Until you free your mind from the group think of your TTI cronies, you'll always be thrashing around in the dark.  Anne Bonney or anyone else with spare time thrashes you until you cry out in butt-hurt anguish.  Squeal a bit louder for me, boy.

Ironically this is the same type of "brainwashing " and "emotional abuse" that people here claim gives them a right to claim victimhood for life, but yet Whooter is subjected to this exact same "abuse" that people claim happened to them in programs and he doesn't claim to be a survivor of intense LGAT brainwashing fornits sessions. I think it's high time that Whooter label himself a survivor of abuse like the other people here! Free your mind whooter or we will subject you to continued abuse and try to find out who you are in real life so we can harrass you and make websites that slander you and your work so that you lose your salary and your family is moved out onto the street! Hell yeah, fornits is not hypocritcal and psychotic at all, right????  :roflmao:  :roflmao:  WHooter has been through more abuse and threats here on fornits than most of the "survivors" can say happened to them in treatment, fucking psycho losers this cult of fornits is. Long live Whooter and his rational common sense argument!
:guesswho:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 22, 2010, 01:14:10 PM »
Quote from: "Awake"
Quote from: "Secret Dwarf Hooker"
Former Teacher Statement
"I would like to share memories with you that I have of observing students displaying significant signs of traumatic stress from watching other students receive electric shocks at the Judge Rotenberg Center."

Despite the atrocities in the article, I thought I might just point out this specifically. That it is not just one shock, but engages an alterd state of consciousness (fear) in the group of peers. We can't predict the amount of dissociation that a single shock will produce in an individual based on how their individual experience of it, and it is probably less likely that we can determine the traumatic effect on each ...student (? ... i believe we lack a language) when they watch each other suffer. There is just no way to know. Even more disturbing is that they cannot go to ease the one suffering, actually are supposed to act ignorant of it.

Personally, I thought I was tough enough to watch the latest SAW movie, but I pretty much had to look away half the time. Even in a fake context I just can't help but imagine it happening to me and cringe at it, But that is a movie. In an intense interpersonal context where we strongly identify with each others position it can very easily be the case that someone would rather be shocked than watch the other suffer.

This is not treating an individual with a symptom, it is highly dependent on developing a peer group homeostasis within this context.

It is important to consider that some people may display abnormal behavior that we may not yet know how to treat with conventional means, but if we answer problematic behavior by justifying equally abhorrent behavior we are allowing one persons problem to become pathological on the social level. When we let extremely unique conditions that exist in an individual become a reason that we should react on a societal level with abnormal behavior, forceful, abhorrent behavior it means we have bought into an answer where there is none. As an answer to the unanswerable we accept these institutions into our society and then the individual symptom becomes a symptom for the rest of us.

This may very well affect many people's decision to have children. Who would want to bring up a child in a world where this is a possibility? Is it really one shock if it has such a widespread effect?
What struck me, in reading Greg Miller's Affidavit (SDH's link), was how very much these kids have to suppress their own humanity in order to psychologically survive there. Just how "healthy" is that kind of dissociated state in the long run? Trauma generally has a long-lasting impact far out of proportion to the original harm. And when you consider that a number of these kids are non-verbal and may never be able to fully articulate the impact of their time there...

Here's an excerpt, the story of G.M. (the entirety of Miller's affidavit is copied out HERE, in another thread):

I would like to share one more memory that stands out in my mind of students showing signs of severe stress in response to watching others get shocked. G.M., a high functioning adult male with a long history at JRC, had swallowed a small blade from an eX-Acto Kife kit. It embedded in his gut and had to be removed surgically. So JRC's response was to leave him strapped up in leg, arm, and waist restraints all day while at school. Then three days or more per week, when G.M. was least expecting it, a staff would rush in the large classroom with a plastic knife, repeatedly yelling loudly the words, "Do you want to swallow a knife?" The staff would put the blade up to G.M.'s mouth, and while G.M. was screaming at the top of his lungs in fear, moving the best he could, unable to defend himself due to the restraints, someone hiding with the GED remote control box would press the button. G.M.'s scream would change to the loud sound one might make with their last breath that they take that could be heard from the opposite side of the cement building. It was much like the movie, "Clockwork Orange" in principle.

G.M.'s "treatment" did not take place in a small classroom, or even in a room where G.M. was isolated from the rest of the students. This took place in a classroom with over 40 students. Sometimes new staff were not forewarned, and were confused whether they should protect the student from the aggressive staff. These "treatment" sessions were very violent for anybody to watch, and sometimes students sitting elsewhere in the classroom would jump up or scream out of fear. Staff were absolutely required to follow student programs and shock any student for "screaming" or for "Out of Seat without permission," or any other behavior, even though they were reacting out of fear and panic in seeing what was happening to their classmate. Students had to continue their task of counting 12 popsicle sticks and double-wrapping a rubber band around them as though oblivious to their classmate being violently attacked in front of them. Even stopping work had to be pinpointed during those intense moments and student plans followed — no exceptions.
    [/list]
    -------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
    « Reply #167 on: May 22, 2010, 08:27:41 PM »
    Just to keep it in perspective, why did Mr. Miller stay there three years?  If abuse really did occur like he said it did why didn’t he report it to the authorities?

…..Greg Miller, a disgruntled former employee who appeared with Ms. Gonnerman on a National Public Radio piece that was stimulated by her article. Mr. Miller worked enthusiastically for JRC for three years during which he failed to raise any objections to JRC’s treatment to anyone. If he had seen anything abusive and failed to report it while employed at JRC, he violated his duty to report any suspected abuse to the appropriate state agency. After three years of employment, he was disciplined for insubordinate actions and then promptly resigned. No space is given to the hundreds or thousands of current or former staff members who have positive things to say about JRC.

Link to Article

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
    « Reply #168 on: May 22, 2010, 09:16:20 PM »
    Look, I am not saying that Mr. Miller is not telling the truth...... but......
    One more thought to consider as we examine this place and those that speak:

Though laws vary from state to state , teachers in Massachusetts, like Mr. miller, are well aware that reports of child abuse are strictly confidential and that he would be protected from losing his job.

Investigators in Massachusetts can be jailed and fined for violating confidentiality laws. Professionals from a variety of fields are mandated to report suspected abuse like : Dentists, doctors, nurses, mental health professionals, social workers, teachers, photo lab developers, day care workers, foster parents, and law enforcement to name a few. Some states require anyone, even a neighbor, who suspects child abuse to report it.
    So 3 years is a long time.  

Why did Mr. miller wait until after he lost his job to cry foul?  Why didn’t he feel this was abuse at the time?