Author Topic: What happened to ISACorp?  (Read 7672 times)

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
Re: What happened to ISACorp?
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2010, 08:30:38 PM »
OK Karen, for starters, ISAC was built and set up as a non-profit organization, not a website. The website was an extension of the corporation. Please put that into perspective at this time. One compliments the other. Without the corporation, there is no site. If someone wants to use the info, they'll have to have a place set up for it and we will have to spend the time it takes getting everything sorted out, transferred, etc... It's already almost August...

I know how ISAC was began Bill. I remember the history. I also know about the impressive budget in the early days, where it came from and what was accomplished with it. I know why it dried up. I know that since then, the Action part of the corp had to be drastically scaled back. I am perfectly aware that 200 here and 100 there and 20 or 10 now and again can not begin to replace what was originally available. I am also sensible of the fact that Shelby needs to be paid for her time. I understand this and would never suggest otherwise.  I realize that unfortunately, getting paid for her time means working at something besides ISAC b/c ISAC just doesn't pay. I'm also aware that various dynamics shift and change adding extra pressure on time and resources. I understand. I really do.

I also get that being as ISAC was set up to be an Action group, maintaining an in-active web site strikes you guys as a no go situation. This is the part I have trouble understanding. I view this as being needlessly rigid. If there is some insurmountable reason why the web site has to go off-line b/c ISAC is no longer an active 501-C3, I am unaware of it.

It seems to me this is mostly about wanting perfection and not being able to settle for what can actually be instead - and so having nothing.  In my view, what you had was an invaluable resource and an achievement to be seriously proud of, even if you never touched it for up-dating again. I find it baffling - bizarre even - that you could want all that work just gone.  I'll never understand this Bill, no matter how you or Shelby try to explain it. This I just don't understand.  

Still, it is up to you guys.You were ISAC - and the web site was the product you produced - so it is yours. I respect this fact more than you might imagine.  

If I have been a nuisance with my BMW like behavior, all I can do is ask you to try and understand its the result of the great value I place on what you had accomplished and my grif that it is gone.  I am trying to get back into the mind set of accepting it is no more and I won't be bothering you about it any further.

Clearly I need to get myself a life of some sort so this shit doesn't bother me so bad. I'll work on that.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2010, 09:17:52 PM »
The following is just an opinion from an outsider.  I have no knowledge of how ISAC got started, what their business plan was or how they were financed.

I think that it is possible it may be a sign of the times.  There would be no argument from anyone that the world slowly evolves and life gets better.  Your work may be done.  ISAC was able to accomplish shinning a huge spotlight onto the industry and it has responded.  Many of the abusive programs have closed.  The ones that stayed open have improved…there was a federal investigation into the industry which opened people’s eyes to the abuse that has and can occur within the confines of the industry……on the flip side studies have immerged showing that kids are responding to their stay there and doing well.

ISAC has educated many people on the abuse the industry can deal out and the industry has watched what was being said.  Like any industry they are going to respond to the customer’s feedback.  If we have learned anything from history we know that if you hold people’s feet to the fire long enough then you will get a response that you want and that is, in part, what ISAC did.

If you look at the number of programs that are in existence now vs 20 years ago and what the government investigation found I think we can conclude that the industry has reached a point where it is thriving and is an integral and useful part of society.  Like any industry it has its group of people who feel it has a negative affect and they will always be a part of its challenge and is necessary to keep them honest.

So don’t feel bad that ISAC is no more, rather reflect on what it has accomplished and celebrate that it has made a huge difference in how kids are treated in programs around the country.

As an aside:  The huge database of responses, accounts and information that Isac amassed over the years is surely in the hands of the owners of the website and could not possibly be lost (unless it was erased intentionally) and could be piggy backed onto another site like fornits or maintained and linked to a new site for very short money.

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2010, 02:20:32 PM »
Quote from: "Whooter"
The following is just an opinion from an outsider.  I have no knowledge of how ISAC got started, what their business plan was or how they were financed.

I think that it is possible it may be a sign of the times.  There would be no argument from anyone that the world slowly evolves and life gets better.  Your work may be done.  ISAC was able to accomplish shinning a huge spotlight onto the industry and it has responded.  Many of the abusive programs have closed.  The ones that stayed open have improved…there was a federal investigation into the industry which opened people’s eyes to the abuse that has and can occur within the confines of the industry……on the flip side studies have immerged showing that kids are responding to their stay there and doing well.

ISAC has educated many people on the abuse the industry can deal out and the industry has watched what was being said.  Like any industry they are going to respond to the customer’s feedback.  If we have learned anything from history we know that if you hold people’s feet to the fire long enough then you will get a response that you want and that is, in part, what ISAC did.

If you look at the number of programs that are in existence now vs 20 years ago and what the government investigation found I think we can conclude that the industry has reached a point where it is thriving and is an integral and useful part of society.  Like any industry it has its group of people who feel it has a negative affect and they will always be a part of its challenge and is necessary to keep them honest.

So don’t feel bad that ISAC is no more, rather reflect on what it has accomplished and celebrate that it has made a huge difference in how kids are treated in programs around the country.

As an aside:  The huge database of responses, accounts and information that Isac amassed over the years is surely in the hands of the owners of the website and could not possibly be lost (unless it was erased intentionally) and could be piggy backed onto another site like fornits or maintained and linked to a new site for very short money.

Thanks Whooter. It does not take a lot of money to accomplish this, I would be willing to finance a "piggy back" to fornits, if ISAC and fornits would like this to happen. If not fornits then another or for that matter what would it cost just to buy the lot, stock and barrel.
Stand and fight, till there is no more.