Author Topic: Therapy at Island View makes it safe for troubled teens  (Read 1317 times)

Offline kirstin

• View Profile
Therapy at Island View makes it safe for troubled teens
« on: April 21, 2010, 12:55:29 PM »
Therapy

The clinical services provided by in-house professional staff are core elements of treatment for each resident at Island View. A carefully selected group of professionals with masters or doctoral degrees provide individual, group and family therapy. Recognizing that each resident is unique, Island View customizes an individual treatment plan for each youth. These treatment elements help residents develop communication and relationship skills, strengthen personal identity and foster pro-social attitudes and behaviors.

Individual Therapy is a regularly scheduled formalized psychotherapeutic session held at least once per week. Individual psychotherapy focuses on improving the overall level of adaptive functioning in the areas of reality testing, behavior, emotional expression, and interpersonal relationships. In addition, individual therapy takes on significant value in the resolution of issues and concerns that the resident feels ill-prepared to take to the group session or that are of such a private nature that discussion in a group format would be clinically contraindicated.

Group Therapy utilizing a Positive Peer Culture format is a formal psychotherapeutic session held in a small group format two to three times per week, while therapist driven Process and Problem Solving Groups are held weekly. Reasons for increased group therapy over individual therapy are based on the clinical literature that shows that group therapy is often more effective with adolescents than individual therapy. This model assists residents in realizing the goals and objectives set by treatment team members, residents and families. In the group, residents encourage each other’s positive behaviors and confront negative and self-defeating ones. Such peer feedback is often far more powerful than the expert opinion of a professional, well-meaning parent or other well-meaning adult.

Family Therapy is provided by the resident’s primary therapist and is an integral part of the resident’s comprehensive treatment. The road leading to residential placement of a teenager is often paved with pain, disappointment, fear, guilt and feelings of helplessness. For that reason, residential treatment does not only involve the child but his or her family in the process of change. Thus, all residents and their families are involved in weekly family therapy either at the Center, via conference telephone calls, or coordinated by the Center in the resident’s home community. Quarterly Parent Seminars are hosted on the Island View campus with regional Parent Seminars offered on a regular basis in different areas around the country.

Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)

At any given time, about one third of the coed population at Island View are enrolled in a distinct program which has been developed to incorporate DBT principles and practices into the daily routine. DBT has been found to be highly effective in dealing with the emotional chaos experienced by many adolescents. Utilizing formal skill building groups facilitated by nationally trained clinicians in concert with milieu programming, individual therapy, and focused assignments such as ongoing self analysis of behavior and “mindfulness” exercises, residents are equipped with a personalized array of skills by which to become highly effective problems solvers who can transfer these skills into lifelong success.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline John Whooter Reuben

• View Profile
Re: Therapy at Island View makes it safe for troubled teens
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 03:01:58 PM »
Quote from: "kirstin"

Group Therapy utilizing a Positive Peer Culture format is a formal psychotherapeutic session...

Bullshit.

Peer on peer pressure should be the dead giveaway, it's straight out of STRAIGHT, inc.  "Psychotherapeutic"?  Nice concoction of bullshit.  "Psychobabble" is more like it.

Island View still specializing in breaking bones?  That's all I ever knew them for.

Offline Anti-Troll

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 03:25:50 PM »
it's back.... :shamrock:

Wake up
Call Elan for my daily instructions
Post on Fornits
Suck Ken Zaretsky’s COCK
Post on Fornits
Drink Wild Irish Rose
Post on Fornits
Panhandle for drink money
Post on Fornits
Suck off Marty Kruglik
Post on Fornits
Drink Whiskey
Post on Fornits
Put on rubber gloves
Post on Fornits
stick finger up my anus
Post on Fornits
Shove my whole fist up my anus
Post on Fornits
Smell my hand
Post on Fornits
Lick my hand
Post on Fornits
Drink more whiskey
Post on Fornits
Recruit new AA members to molest at later date
Post on Fornits
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 03:28:04 PM by Anti-Troll »
"Because you are a TROLL"

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
WW II TCs -> GGI -> PPC
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 03:27:37 PM »
Quote from: "John Whooter Reuben"

Group Therapy utilizing a Positive Peer Culture format is a formal psychotherapeutic session...
Bullshit.

Peer on peer pressure should be the dead giveaway, it's straight out of STRAIGHT, inc.  "Psychotherapeutic"?  Nice concoction of bullshit.  "Psychobabble" is more like it.

Island View still specializing in breaking bones?  That's all I ever knew them for.
Perhaps some clarification... Positive Peer Culture is a direct evolution out of Guided Group Interaction, which was developed by Lloyd McCorkle in the late 1940s for use in military prisons. He based his methodology on his personal experience in the use of therapeutic communities for military incarceration during World War II.

In other words, these were experiments in "group management" conducted by the U.S. government on its own soldiers.

This predates Straight, Inc. by about three decades.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 03:41:02 PM »
I might question if that place is safe. I know that they analyzed the facility from top to bottom after the last known suicide in 2004. They were simply ordered to go through the rooms one by one:

Teen facility targets suicide prevention, by Amy Joi Bryson, Deseret Morning News, July 29, 2004

But the lesson learned from Sagewalk is that change in management may result in reduced budget for staff and it can increase the risk of further harm of a client. I hope that they are able to maintain the level of safety they were forced to introduce. I don't want to add yet another name to any of the victim lists.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
Re: WW II TCs -> GGI -> PPC
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 03:44:18 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"

Bullshit.

Perhaps some clarification... Positive Peer Culture is a direct evolution out of Guided Group Interaction, which was developed by Lloyd McCorkle in the late 1940s for use in military prisons. He based his methodology on his personal experience in the use of therapeutic communities for military incarceration during World War II.

In other words, these were experiments in "group management" conducted by the U.S. government on its own soldiers.

Think of it as fertilizer.  Its roots might be buried in some really smelly crap, but then we need to remember that everything that is good for us was also once rooted in manure.  

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 03:47:19 PM »
Quote from: "Whooter"

Think of it as fertilizer.  Its roots might be buried in some really smelly crap, but then we need to remember that everything that is good for us was also once rooted in manure.  

Of course!!  That's the "end justifies the means" excuse.  No matter if you break a few eggs to make an omelette, right?
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 03:49:55 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"

Bullshit.

The quality of the starting material does affect the outcome. You cannot produce "black gold" that is not toxic if you are starting with radioactive shit.

I would not knowingly eat tomatoes grown in the vicinity of or fertilized by the sewage from Chernobyl.

Nor could I in good conscience allow these tomatoes to be eaten by others.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 04:04:42 PM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"

Of course!!  That's the "end justifies the means" excuse.  No matter if you break a few eggs to make an omelette, right?

No, different analogy, it doesnt mean to do whatever is necessary to get a required result.  Vegetables, for example, thrive on very vial horse/pig crap that is not very pleasant to the nose for many people.  If you placed manure next to the vegetable on the same plate most people would never eat it.  But the fertilizer is an important part of the vegetables life cycle.
We dont want to judge a particular outcome based solely on its origin.  We need to look at the effect and the end result.

If, like Ursus suggested, and we taint the fertilizer with radiation then the desired outcome would be different and everyone coming in contact with it would die and the farmer would go out of business and the land would lay barren.  The cycle would end.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 04:18:48 PM »
No, different analogy, it doesnt mean to do whatever is necessary to get a required result.  Vegetables, for example, thrive on very vial horse/pig crap that is not very pleasant to the nose for many people.  If you placed manure next to the vegetable on the same plate most people would never eat it.  But the fertilizer is an important part of the vegetables life cycle.
We dont want to judge a particular outcome based solely on its origin.  We need to look at the effect and the end result.

If, like Ursus suggested, and we taint the fertilizer with radiation then the desired outcome would be different and everyone coming in contact with it would die and the farmer would go out of business and the land would lay barren.  The cycle would end.

It's still the same old, same old.  The end justifies the means.  Horrible way to approach "therapy" for children.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 04:41:58 PM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"

It's still the same old, same old.  The end justifies the means.  Horrible way to approach "therapy" for children.

I think we agree here, Anne.  A little off topic from what we were talking about but I think it is worth addressing.  

I was never one to endorse "the ends justify the means" in almost any situation, especially therapy.  The end result (or outcome) should always be dependent on a healthy and caring process.
To me the word justify means to validate and in the case of the "ends justifying the means" it is taken as validating the means in hindsight which is backasswards in my opinion.  One needs to put a good process in place which will yield a desired outcome but you should never jeopardize the process (or risk harm to the child) when designing this or putting it into practice.