Author Topic: ELAN school staff are well trained  (Read 28821 times)

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
Re: ELAN school staff are well trained
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2010, 03:16:14 PM »
Quote from: "elanasshole"
Danny you are so clueless, this is very serious and you're making a mockery out of survivors bro.   Think about it.  You worked as a staff at one of the worst gulags (ELAN) while facilitating ring activities where children could have suffered fatal injuries.  This doesn't seem to bother you, does it?  Have you taken responsibility for it?  Do you understand why other ELAN survivors are so pissed off at you?

:shamrock:  :shamrock:  :shamrock:

Come out, come out who ever you are here or PM. No it doesn't bother me when some disguised poster comes along with this shit, not at all. I am dancing all over. Take responsibility and show yourself when you ask such personal questions.
Otherwise move on down the road, your words are old and stale.

Danny
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline elanasshole

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2010, 03:19:42 PM »
Don't avoid the questions Danny.  Did you facilitate ring matches while you worked as a staff at ELAN?  I want to see if you're going to admit any of the atrocities towards children at ELAN.

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2010, 09:21:06 PM »
Quote from: "elanasshole"
Don't avoid the questions Danny.  Did you facilitate ring matches while you worked as a staff at ELAN?  I want to see if you're going to admit any of the atrocities towards children at ELAN.

:shamrock:  :shamrock:

Com'on get out of your hole. Your name tells us what type of hole your in. So please come out into the sunlight.
The sun is very healthy a ignition for regeneration.

Danny

Offline The Elan Reporter

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 12:08:09 PM »
Danny did you ever place bets with Marty on residents that were forced to box in the ring? Would you agree from a former staff members point of view, that the ring was the most exciting time when working at elan? I know Kruglik loved it! :tup:
He also loved making sure he was on time as soon as all the yelling and cursing started at a GM. Forget the HM part of it, that just bored Kruglik to death and he would conviently always make a speedy exit as soon as the GM winded down and the last spec of spit came flying out. I believe Krullik had a T-shirt that read "I love GM's". :hug:
fArt Warshitsky sucks dicks!!!

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 08:50:09 PM »
Quote from: "The Elan Reporter"
Danny did you ever place bets with Marty on residents that were forced to box in the ring? Would you agree from a former staff members point of view, that the ring was the most exciting time when working at elan? I know Kruglik loved it! :tup:
He also loved making sure he was on time as soon as all the yelling and cursing started at a GM. Forget the HM part of it, that just bored Kruglik to death and he would conviently always make a speedy exit as soon as the GM winded down and the last spec of spit came flying out. I believe Krullik had a T-shirt that read "I love GM's". :hug:

:shamrock:  :shamrock:  :shamrock:

Last time ER, no more after this. You have the wrong guy, go read all my posts and talk with other Elan grads who will be honest concerning me. Then you will have my story. Depending on who you are and/or when you got there will explain what went on there. Most elan grads share from there experiences others who really weren't there or don't know the person there talking with share experiences they have read. What is your story, did you go to Elan and if you did,did you know me. Because if you knew me all this would be pointless.
I am bantering with you because of your posting, I didn't know in order to be a good Elanian I had to like your posting.
I apologize for being so rude, I probably should have introduced myself first. Then taken the softer road. Well another lesson learned. In the future I will keep my judgments to myself.
Hope you can accept, it is meant with sincerity.

Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2010, 10:11:52 PM »
What is it about Mfarty that you like so much, where as you are his friend? Is it his swollen hands and the way he constatly moves them while talking? Or how about the shit brown eyes, that he always has facing the ground when near other people because of a huge inferiorty complex? Or maybe it's those cheap, salvation army cardigan sweaters that went out of style a couple decades plus ago? I can't see anyone with a head screwed on correctly wanting to befriend a person like THAT! Unless ofcoarse, they just wanted to see him speak and look at him for a great laugh. :rofl:

Now wouldn't it make alot of sense if I was in elan with you, or even knew you, I would not be asking you questions?

I knew about the ring betting that went on, and I assume it was going on long before my time. I over heard TCK make a wager with another staff member and he said "I have $50 that says ***** ****** will knock ***** ******* down on his ass by the second round tops". TCK is nothing but a corrupt, excellent manipulator for an elan resident parents and one dishonest peice of monkey crap with extremely bad breath, beady shit brown eyed, swollen hands, hi yuh yuh mother fucker! He's also a great thief! I lost track of how many times a resident complained about how their bags went missing, clothing mysteriously disappeared, ect, ECT..... :soapbox:

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2010, 12:12:11 AM »
I knew about the ring betting that went on, and I assume it was going on long before my time. I over heard TCK make a wager with another staff member and he said "I have $50 that says ***** ****** will knock ***** ******* down on his ass by the second round tops".
Just how SICK is that? I don't think this point can be overemphasized...

Not only were kids forced to eviscerate each other verbally, and physically, but the practice of such was even considered to be SPORT by the staff!!

:clown:
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2010, 07:56:40 PM »
TCK was able to purchase many rubber dicks with his winnings!  :roflmao:

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2010, 07:42:25 PM »
:shamrock:  :shamrock:

Quote from: "Ursus"
I knew about the ring betting that went on, and I assume it was going on long before my time. I over heard TCK make a wager with another staff member and he said "I have $50 that says ***** ****** will knock ***** ******* down on his ass by the second round tops".

Just how SICK is that? I don't think this point can be overemphasized...
Not only were kids forced to eviscerate each other verbally, and physically, but the practice of such was even considered to be SPORT by the staff!!
:clown:

Ursus no questions you just accept this statement at face value. I see you do this alot when what is being said is from someone you like or the topic is one you like. This is exactly why no one really take Elan seriously.
Could I have more feedback on this overheard comment from Marty????. Who did he say this to???? who was in the ring???? and if possible who else was there?????
It is not that I don't believe you, I just want more background to this incident.

Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2010, 10:19:13 AM »
You mean you want to be reminded which specific ring bet incident this was, because there was so many that you lost track? You truly are the hi yuh yuh yuh master of disguise Marty.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2010, 10:33:17 AM »
Quote from: "DannyB II"
Ursus no questions you just accept this statement at face value.
Danny

We don't get very far with you by asking direct questions, so we're left with what we see written here and other places.  

Now, since you ignored all the questions about dragging a girl around behind a van originally, here's my post again.......

Yeah, I never got an answer about that either and it is an extremely valid question. You're always demanding to know the history and background of the people you're arguing with. So.......is it true Danny? Please explain the circumstances that led to this. I'm sure Who will be impressed with your reasoning and justification. After all, I'm sure she somehow brought it upon herself, right? Surely it was all in an effort to 'help' the poor girl, right? It was to keep her from hurting herself, right? Some sort of fantastic new "alternative" therapy, right?

Man up. It's a valid question.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2010, 04:46:35 PM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"
Quote from: "DannyB II"
Ursus no questions you just accept this statement at face value.
Danny

We don't get very far with you by asking direct questions, so we're left with what we see written here and other places.  

Now, since you ignored all the questions about dragging a girl around behind a van originally, here's my post again.......

Yeah, I never got an answer about that either and it is an extremely valid question. You're always demanding to know the history and background of the people you're arguing with. So.......is it true Danny? Please explain the circumstances that led to this. I'm sure Who will be impressed with your reasoning and justification. After all, I'm sure she somehow brought it upon herself, right? Surely it was all in an effort to 'help' the poor girl, right? It was to keep her from hurting herself, right? Some sort of fantastic new "alternative" therapy, right?

Man up. It's a valid question.

**crickets chirping**
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline alcoholics anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2010, 04:52:45 PM »
I would venture to say Danny knows allot more about this case than he says he does.  Staff often do in other programs throughout the country and around the world.

Friday, May 31, 2002

Ex-students at Skakel trial describe Elan as 'horrific'

By   DAVID GURLIACCI, Special to the Portland Press Herald

Copyright  2002 Blethen Maine Newspapers Inc.                                            
                                            :
  Elan School defends program                    

As witness after witness at the Michael Skakel murder trial took the stand in the past two weeks to describe events at the Elan School during the late 1970s and early 1980s, jurors and the public have been given a picture of what the school in Poland, Maine, may have been like.  

In a word: horrific.  

Young people in trouble with the law or their parents, and often involved in drug or alcohol abuse, were sent to the school and put on a strict regime of work, group therapy, peer pressure to reform, public humiliation, screamed reprimands and disciplinary beatings, according to witnesses at the trial.  

The testimony about the Elan School's history could be pivotal to the high-profile case, because defense attorneys are arguing that extreme conditions at the school 20 or more years ago created an atmosphere in which anyone could be made to say anything.  

Some former Elan students are testifying for the prosecution, saying they heard Skakel confess to murder. Other former Elan students are testifying in Skakel's defense, saying Elan school officials threatened and even abused students to the point where confessions and statements made there should be viewed skeptically, at best. Closing arguments in the trial are scheduled for Monday.  

In his opening arguments on May 7, Skakel's defense attorney, Michael Sherman, told the jury that the Elan School was "like a mix of the Hanoi Hilton and Stalag 17."  

Former Elan students have been star witnesses at the trial of Skakel, a nephew of the late U.S. Sen. Robert F. Kennedy who attended the school from 1978 to 1980. The late Joseph Ricci, founder and executive director of the school, told students at a "general meeting" in 1978 that Skakel may have killed a Greenwich, Conn., girl in 1975, according to witnesses.  

Skakel, now 41, was arrested on the murder charge in January 2000. Renewed publicity about the crime helped turn up several Elan students and others who said Skakel made incriminating statements about the murder.  

Two former students say Skakel admitted his role to them. Other former students disagree, saying they never heard Skakel admit to the crime. They recall that he either denied killing the girl or said he was so intoxicated on alcohol and drugs that night that he didn't know. Some of the former students who testified think Skakel is guilty. Others say he's innocent. Some are just suspicious.  

But whatever they testified about Skakel, they were consistent in their views of the school they attended: They described it as a place designed to terrorize them, with beatings and humiliation regular features of life.  

Alice Dunn of Portland was at the school from 1976 to 1978 as a student, and until 1982 as a member of the staff. In testimony, she described the school's discipline process as "part of the general plan of humiliation that would lower someone's self-esteem and keep them in a general state where they were in constant terror."  

One witness, Michael Meredith of New York City, attended Elan in the 1980s after Skakel had left. He said the school at that time was abusive emotionally but not physically, and he believed it had reformed some of its practices by then.  

The current administration of Elan rejects the harsh descriptions.  

In response to questioning from various news organizations this week, the school's lawyer and spokesman, John Campbell of Campbell and Associates, distributed a five-page statement defending the school and rebutting some of the accusations against it.  

Campbell said Tuesday that he is not authorized to make any further statements about the controversy.  

"Over the past 30 years, the Elan School has helped thousands of students," the statement reads. "Hundreds of social workers, special-education personnel, psychologists, psychiatrists, counselors and therapists have reviewed the Elan program and its successes and have continued to send students to Elan."  

A review team appointed by Maine Gov. James Longley in 1975 - before Skakel attended the school - said Elan students "usually expressed newly found feelings of dignity, self-assurance and mental well-being, and they attributed these feelings to the treatment they were receiving."  

The Elan statement quoted the panel as reporting it found "no evidence of unjustifiable denials of civil liberties or mistreatment."  

According to the statement, "Elan's appointment calendar books from 1978 and 1979 (while Skakel and the witnesses were at the school) show that virtually every week of the year there were reviews of the program at Elan by physicians or regulatory officials from all over the country."  

Elan was founded in 1970 as a treatment center and school for troubled youths by Ricci, who was executive director of the school in the 1970s and 1980s. Ricci, a former drug addict who had no academic degrees in the field of therapy, later bought the Scarborough Downs racetrack and ran for governor. He died in January 2001.  

"A lot of his role (at the school) was to scare the crap out of people," said Charles Seigan of Highland Park, Ill., testifying at the Skakel trial last week. Laughter erupted in the courtroom after that comment, but he continued: "I mean, seriously, that was (Ricci's) role, and to be the man, the dude, the main guy. . . . He liked it, too - to be a god.  

"Joe Ricci would just get really upset when somebody wasn't doing what he wanted them to do," said Seigan, who was at Elan for 18 months, starting in 1978. "Sometimes he lost his temper and made it quite horrific on some people."  

The school's statement pointed out that, when Ricci died, "51 senators and representatives in the Maine Legislature adopted a special resolution in honor of Mr. Ricci recognizing his 'energy, dedication and service to his community and the state' and 'his many achievements, including co-founding the Elan adolescent treatment center.' "  

Skakel and all of the former Elan students who testified at the trial were at Elan 3, one of several units at the school. Usually 40 to 50 students lived at Elan 3 in separate male and female dormitories. The school had about 150 students at the time, witnesses said.  

Students would get up about 7 a.m., have breakfast, then work for most of the morning at various jobs around the campus. The afternoons were often devoted to group therapy sessions of various types and the evenings, from about 6 to 10 p.m., to school.  

Students were ranked in a rigid hierarchy, much like a military school. Higher-ranking students typically screamed at those in lower ranks whom they were supervising, witnesses said.  

"It was just a lot of screaming and yelling that would go on during the day," Seigan said. "The structure of the house was to yell and scream all day to provoke a reaction from people. . . . It was more of a peer-pressure modality - treatment modality - at that time."  

For major violations of the rules, the entire campus would be convened in a "general meeting" - which was something like a pep rally, with forceful criticism aimed at an individual.  

" 'General meeting' was probably the scariest word you would hear," Seigan said.  

The purpose of general meetings, he said, "was basically to scare the heck out of the residents and make sure the person who was (the subject of the meeting) didn't do it again, and the people watching would never do what he did because the punishment was not worth it."  

Taking drugs, having sex, drinking alcohol or running away were all reasons for a general meeting, former students said. But they could be held for other reasons, too.  

After Skakel fled from the school and was returned, he was prepared for his first general meeting for days in advance, Dunn said.  

"They had left him in a corner of . . . the dining room of Elan 3," she testified. "He had to sit for an hour and stand for an hour for three days, with basically no sleep."  

General meetings could run from 45 minutes to two hours, Dunn said, although another former student, Michael Wiggins of South Carolina, recalled some that lasted far longer.  

"There was no warning," Seigan said. "It was yelled many times. You dropped what you were doing, and you just high-tailed it into the dining room and sat, and you just looked forward, and you didn't say a word and waited for direction."  

People would stomp their feet and clap their hands until the person "being sacrificed to the gods of therapy" was brought in and made to stand on a stage at one end of the dining room, Seigan said.  

Dunn recalled that the dining room echoed "like a cathedral." The student who was the focus of the general meeting would be kept in a room nearby, not close enough to hear what was said, but close enough to hear the racket, Wiggins said.  

"I was never a victim of this - and I believe that is a good word, 'victim,' " he said. "I can only feel it would be something horrific for someone to go through."  

For Skakel's first general meeting, Dunn recalled Ricci standing with an inch-thick file folder in his hands.  

"He was very intimidating. . . . Referring to some documents, he had a file in his hand he was looking at, and kind of reading incidents from that as he was confronting Michael," she said.  

Ricci indicated through questions to Skakel that Skakel was somehow involved in the murder of Martha Moxley, and Ricci accused Skakel of killing her, Dunn said.  

At first Skakel denied it, which seemed to make Ricci lose his temper, she said.  

At various points, some students were encouraged to rush up toward Skakel and yell in his face. This typically happened several times during any general meeting, the former students testified.  

"They get up and run at you and slam you up against the wall, and poke their fingers in your chest, and yell at you so loud you can't even understand what they're saying," Wiggins recalled.  

Dunn testified that in yelling at someone, there was plenty of opportunity to manage to spit in the subject's face, and some students would do it on purpose.  

If a student who was the subject of the general meeting wasn't giving the proper response to school authorities at the meeting, they would often order the student to bend over to be spanked or take part in a "boxing ring" - short bouts of boxing with another student.  

The boxing was done with boxing gloves and headgear. There was no actual roped-off "ring," but people would form a human circle around the boxers.  

"You would go into the ring for one-minute periods and you would basically fight," Dunn said, although Wiggins remembered rounds lasting three minutes.  

Skakel's case was typical, Dunn said. After a round he would be asked to admit to the murder, and when he continued to deny committing it, he would be put back in for another round with a new, fresh person.  

While the boxing was going on, people were encouraged to cheer, Wiggins said. "It's just, you know, 'Hit him hard! Hit him hard! Get him! Get him! Get him!' "  

"The person in the ring could never win," Dunn said, because the process would be repeated with fresh opponents.  

Skakel lasted for six or eight rounds before he finally changed his answer to "I don't know," and the boxing stopped, Dunn said. "That particular day, it's the only way that it (the boxing) stopped."  

Former Elan student Elizabeth Arnold described Skakel's general meeting as a session in which he was "brutalized."  

Asked by Skakel's defense attorney if the victim would be "beaten to a pulp" in the boxing ring, Seigan answered, "That didn't happen at Elan 3, generally."  

The statement just released by Elan quoted from the 1975 report on the school by the Maine review panel, which defended the school's use of "boxing rings."  

The panel was quoted as stating, "One of the cardinal rules of the Elan program was that the use of physical violence, by either a staff member or a resident, is strictly outlawed. . . . Only acts of repeated physical violence on the part of residents resulted in a person being placed in the ring where rounds lasted about one minute and the participants are evenly matched."  

Several former students were asked about Kim Freehill, a slightly-built girl at Elan who was spanked so hard that a helicopter was called in to airlift her to a hospital for treatment.  

"I watched them beat Kim until she was bruised from the back of her knees to the top of her shoulders with open sores across her buttocks," Dunn testified at a pretrial hearing in June 2000. "And I watched her retreat into a shell where she just wasn't even there as a person. . . . I've never seen somebody hurt that badly."  

Longer-term punishment would generally follow the general meeting, Seigan said. One punishment was to be "shot down," or stripped of all privileges previously earned at the school. "You were put into shorts generally, and no shoes, and you were made to scrub floors all day long and clean out trash bins," he said.  

Dunn said cardboard signs were generally used when administrators wanted students to admit to some problem. Skakel's sign after the general meeting read, "Confront me on why I killed Martha Moxley." Wiggins remembered Skakel's sign "went down to about his shins and over his shoulders."  

Students wore their signs during all waking hours, and had to stand and read their own signs aloud before each meal in the dining hall for weeks following a general meeting. After six weeks, Skakel's sign was removed.  

"Most people that were there wore signs," Seigan said.  

Students were encouraged to confront those who were wearing signs. Dorothy Rogers of Asheville, N.C., recalled one group therapy session in which Skakel was confronted.  

"One student stood up and said, 'How does it feel to beat a girl to death with a golf club?' " Rogers testified.  

Dunce caps had to be worn by students who received D's or F's during weekly school grading periods, other former students testified. For one week of bad grades, a student would wear a dunce cap 2 or 3 feet high, Dunn said. For two consecutive weeks of bad grades, the dunce cap would be about 5 feet high. The cap would be worn all day.  

Most students wore them at some point, Seigan said.  

Perhaps the most severe punishment given to students was something called a "cowboy ass-kicking session," Seigan said. He said it was "nothing more than a beating . . . a physical beating."  

"None of the staff did it, but they allowed it," Seigan said. He said officials at the school "encouraged it and promoted it. . . . It was a passion, almost."  

David Gurliacci is a United Press International correspondent covering the Skakel trial.  

This article is provided for educational purposes only as a public service by the Oakton Institute.

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2010, 05:16:00 PM »
Quote from: "alcoholics anonymous"
I would venture to say Danny knows allot more about this case than he says he does.  Staff often do in other programs throughout the country and around the world.  
Your absolutely right I do know a lot but your not going to hear it. Why because you don't deserve to hear it. There are so many more Elan survivors I can think of who want answers or want to know what happen with Staff and Directors that are respectful and just plain decent human beings. It would be my duty and pleasure to tell them and I have whenever I can. People email me often now asking for answers I do my best to oblige. But I will not do that here under these pretenses you folks have created here.

Danny

Friday, May 31, 2002

By   DAVID GURLIACCI, Special to the Portland Press Herald

Copyright  2002 Blethen Maine Newspapers Inc.                                            
                                            :

As witness after witness at the Michael Skakel murder trial took the stand in the past two weeks to describe events at the Elan School during the late 1970s and early 1980s, jurors and the public have been given a picture of what the school in Poland, Maine, may have been like.  

Young people in trouble with the law or their parents, and often involved in drug or alcohol abuse, were sent to the school and put on a strict regime of work, group therapy, peer pressure to reform, public humiliation, screamed reprimands and disciplinary beatings, according to witnesses at the trial.  

The testimony about the Elan School's history could be pivotal to the high-profile case, because defense attorneys are arguing that extreme conditions at the school 20 or more years ago created an atmosphere in which anyone could be made to say anything.  

Some former Elan students are testifying for the prosecution, saying they heard Skakel confess to murder. Other former Elan students are testifying in Skakel's defense, saying Elan school officials threatened and even abused students to the point where confessions and statements made there should be viewed skeptically, at best. Closing arguments in the trial are scheduled for Monday.  

In his opening arguments on May 7, Skakel's defense attorney, Michael Sherman, told the jury that the Elan School was "like a mix of the Hanoi Hilton and Stalag 17."  

Former Elan students have been star witnesses at the trial of Skakel, a nephew of the late U.S. Sen. Robert F. Kennedy who attended the school from 1978 to 1980. The late Joseph Ricci, founder and executive director of the school, told students at a "general meeting" in 1978 that Skakel may have killed a Greenwich, Conn., girl in 1975, according to witnesses.  

Skakel, now 41, was arrested on the murder charge in January 2000. Renewed publicity about the crime helped turn up several Elan students and others who said Skakel made incriminating statements about the murder.  

Two former students say Skakel admitted his role to them. Other former students disagree, saying they never heard Skakel admit to the crime. They recall that he either denied killing the girl or said he was so intoxicated on alcohol and drugs that night that he didn't know. Some of the former students who testified think Skakel is guilty. Others say he's innocent. Some are just suspicious.  

But whatever they testified about Skakel, they were consistent in their views of the school they attended: They described it as a place designed to terrorize them, with beatings and humiliation regular features of life.  

Alice Dunn of Portland was at the school from 1976 to 1978 as a student, and until 1982 as a member of the staff. In testimony, she described the school's discipline process as "part of the general plan of humiliation that would lower someone's self-esteem and keep them in a general state where they were in constant terror."  

One witness, Michael Meredith of New York City, attended Elan in the 1980s after Skakel had left. He said the school at that time was abusive emotionally but not physically, and he believed it had reformed some of its practices by then.  

In response to questioning from various news organizations this week, the school's lawyer and spokesman, John Campbell of Campbell and Associates, distributed a five-page statement defending the school and rebutting some of the accusations against it.  

Campbell said Tuesday that he is not authorized to make any further statements about the controversy.  

"Over the past 30 years, the Elan School has helped thousands of students," the statement reads. "Hundreds of social workers, special-education personnel, psychologists, psychiatrists, counselors and therapists have reviewed the Elan program and its successes and have continued to send students to Elan."  

A review team appointed by Maine Gov. James Longley in 1975 - before Skakel attended the school - said Elan students "usually expressed newly found feelings of dignity, self-assurance and mental well-being, and they attributed these feelings to the treatment they were receiving."  

The Elan statement quoted the panel as reporting it found "no evidence of unjustifiable denials of civil liberties or mistreatment."  

According to the statement, "Elan's appointment calendar books from 1978 and 1979 (while Skakel and the witnesses were at the school) show that virtually every week of the year there were reviews of the program at Elan by physicians or regulatory officials from all over the country."  

Elan was founded in 1970 as a treatment center and school for troubled youths by Ricci, who was executive director of the school in the 1970s and 1980s. Ricci, a former drug addict who had no academic degrees in the field of therapy, later bought the Scarborough Downs racetrack and ran for governor. He died in January 2001.  

"A lot of his role (at the school) was to scare the crap out of people," said Charles Seigan of Highland Park, Ill., testifying at the Skakel trial last week. Laughter erupted in the courtroom after that comment, but he continued: "I mean, seriously, that was (Ricci's) role, and to be the man, the dude, the main guy. . . . He liked it, too - to be a god.  

"Joe Ricci would just get really upset when somebody wasn't doing what he wanted them to do," said Seigan, who was at Elan for 18 months, starting in 1978. "Sometimes he lost his temper and made it quite horrific on some people."  

The school's statement pointed out that, when Ricci died, "51 senators and representatives in the Maine Legislature adopted a special resolution in honor of Mr. Ricci recognizing his 'energy, dedication and service to his community and the state' and 'his many achievements, including co-founding the Elan adolescent treatment center.' "  

Skakel and all of the former Elan students who testified at the trial were at Elan 3, one of several units at the school. Usually 40 to 50 students lived at Elan 3 in separate male and female dormitories. The school had about 150 students at the time, witnesses said.  

Students would get up about 7 a.m., have breakfast, then work for most of the morning at various jobs around the campus. The afternoons were often devoted to group therapy sessions of various types and the evenings, from about 6 to 10 p.m., to school.  

Students were ranked in a rigid hierarchy, much like a military school. Higher-ranking students typically screamed at those in lower ranks whom they were supervising, witnesses said.  

"It was just a lot of screaming and yelling that would go on during the day," Seigan said. "The structure of the house was to yell and scream all day to provoke a reaction from people. . . . It was more of a peer-pressure modality - treatment modality - at that time."  

For major violations of the rules, the entire campus would be convened in a "general meeting" - which was something like a pep rally, with forceful criticism aimed at an individual.  

" 'General meeting' was probably the scariest word you would hear," Seigan said.  

The purpose of general meetings, he said, "was basically to scare the heck out of the residents and make sure the person who was (the subject of the meeting) didn't do it again, and the people watching would never do what he did because the punishment was not worth it."  

Taking drugs, having sex, drinking alcohol or running away were all reasons for a general meeting, former students said. But they could be held for other reasons, too.  

After Skakel fled from the school and was returned, he was prepared for his first general meeting for days in advance, Dunn said.  

"They had left him in a corner of . . . the dining room of Elan 3," she testified. "He had to sit for an hour and stand for an hour for three days, with basically no sleep."  

General meetings could run from 45 minutes to two hours, Dunn said, although another former student, Michael Wiggins of South Carolina, recalled some that lasted far longer.  

"There was no warning," Seigan said. "It was yelled many times. You dropped what you were doing, and you just high-tailed it into the dining room and sat, and you just looked forward, and you didn't say a word and waited for direction."  

People would stomp their feet and clap their hands until the person "being sacrificed to the gods of therapy" was brought in and made to stand on a stage at one end of the dining room, Seigan said.  

Dunn recalled that the dining room echoed "like a cathedral." The student who was the focus of the general meeting would be kept in a room nearby, not close enough to hear what was said, but close enough to hear the racket, Wiggins said.  

"I was never a victim of this - and I believe that is a good word, 'victim,' " he said. "I can only feel it would be something horrific for someone to go through."  

For Skakel's first general meeting, Dunn recalled Ricci standing with an inch-thick file folder in his hands.  

"He was very intimidating. . . . Referring to some documents, he had a file in his hand he was looking at, and kind of reading incidents from that as he was confronting Michael," she said.  

Ricci indicated through questions to Skakel that Skakel was somehow involved in the murder of Martha Moxley, and Ricci accused Skakel of killing her, Dunn said.  

At first Skakel denied it, which seemed to make Ricci lose his temper, she said.  

At various points, some students were encouraged to rush up toward Skakel and yell in his face. This typically happened several times during any general meeting, the former students testified.  

"They get up and run at you and slam you up against the wall, and poke their fingers in your chest, and yell at you so loud you can't even understand what they're saying," Wiggins recalled.  

Dunn testified that in yelling at someone, there was plenty of opportunity to manage to spit in the subject's face, and some students would do it on purpose.  

If a student who was the subject of the general meeting wasn't giving the proper response to school authorities at the meeting, they would often order the student to bend over to be spanked or take part in a "boxing ring" - short bouts of boxing with another student.  

The boxing was done with boxing gloves and headgear. There was no actual roped-off "ring," but people would form a human circle around the boxers.  

"You would go into the ring for one-minute periods and you would basically fight," Dunn said, although Wiggins remembered rounds lasting three minutes.  

Skakel's case was typical, Dunn said. After a round he would be asked to admit to the murder, and when he continued to deny committing it, he would be put back in for another round with a new, fresh person.  

While the boxing was going on, people were encouraged to cheer, Wiggins said. "It's just, you know, 'Hit him hard! Hit him hard! Get him! Get him! Get him!' "  

"The person in the ring could never win," Dunn said, because the process would be repeated with fresh opponents.  

Skakel lasted for six or eight rounds before he finally changed his answer to "I don't know," and the boxing stopped, Dunn said. "That particular day, it's the only way that it (the boxing) stopped."  

Former Elan student Elizabeth Arnold described Skakel's general meeting as a session in which he was "brutalized."  

Asked by Skakel's defense attorney if the victim would be "beaten to a pulp" in the boxing ring, Seigan answered, "That didn't happen at Elan 3, generally."  

The statement just released by Elan quoted from the 1975 report on the school by the Maine review panel, which defended the school's use of "boxing rings."  

The panel was quoted as stating, "One of the cardinal rules of the Elan program was that the use of physical violence, by either a staff member or a resident, is strictly outlawed. . . . Only acts of repeated physical violence on the part of residents resulted in a person being placed in the ring where rounds lasted about one minute and the participants are evenly matched."  

Several former students were asked about Kim Freehill, a slightly-built girl at Elan who was spanked so hard that a helicopter was called in to airlift her to a hospital for treatment.  

"I watched them beat Kim until she was bruised from the back of her knees to the top of her shoulders with open sores across her buttocks," Dunn testified at a pretrial hearing in June 2000. "And I watched her retreat into a shell where she just wasn't even there as a person. . . . I've never seen somebody hurt that badly."  

Longer-term punishment would generally follow the general meeting, Seigan said. One punishment was to be "shot down," or stripped of all privileges previously earned at the school. "You were put into shorts generally, and no shoes, and you were made to scrub floors all day long and clean out trash bins," he said.  

Dunn said cardboard signs were generally used when administrators wanted students to admit to some problem. Skakel's sign after the general meeting read, "Confront me on why I killed Martha Moxley." Wiggins remembered Skakel's sign "went down to about his shins and over his shoulders."  

Students wore their signs during all waking hours, and had to stand and read their own signs aloud before each meal in the dining hall for weeks following a general meeting. After six weeks, Skakel's sign was removed.  

Students were encouraged to confront those who were wearing signs. Dorothy Rogers of Asheville, N.C., recalled one group therapy session in which Skakel was confronted.  

"One student stood up and said, 'How does it feel to beat a girl to death with a golf club?' " Rogers testified.  

Dunce caps had to be worn by students who received D's or F's during weekly school grading periods, other former students testified. For one week of bad grades, a student would wear a dunce cap 2 or 3 feet high, Dunn said. For two consecutive weeks of bad grades, the dunce cap would be about 5 feet high. The cap would be worn all day.  

Perhaps the most severe punishment given to students was something called a "cowboy ass-kicking session," Seigan said. He said it was "nothing more than a beating . . . a physical beating."  

"None of the staff did it, but they allowed it," Seigan said. He said officials at the school "encouraged it and promoted it. . . . It was a passion, almost."  

David Gurliacci is a United Press International correspondent covering the Skakel trial.  

This article is provided for educational purposes only as a public service by the Oakton Institute.

Offline alcoholics anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »

Postby DannyB II » 55 minutes ago

alcoholics anonymous wrote:I would venture to say Danny knows allot more about this case than he says he does. Staff often do in other programs throughout the country and around the world.

Your absolutely right I do know a lot but your not going to hear it. Why because you don't deserve to hear it. There are so many more Elan survivors I can think of who want answers or want to know what happen with Staff and Directors that are respectful and just plain decent human beings. It would be my duty and pleasure to tell them and I have whenever I can. People email me often now asking for answers I do my best to oblige. But I will not do that here under these pretenses you folks have created here.

Danny

Friday, May 31, 2002

By DAVID GURLIACCI, Special to the Portland Press Herald

Copyright 2002 Blethen Maine Newspapers Inc.
:

Why did you  choose to work at the very place you were abused at?  I don't understand this.