Author Topic: Baxley Wilderness  (Read 10946 times)

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
Re: Baxley Wilderness
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 06:45:21 PM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"
Quote from: "DannyB II"
Like I said it is a place for juvie's to learn a trade, check out a dude by the name of Clem Clausen, freind of mine works there. Dribble, I talk about things I really know about unlike you and your buddy Ursus who think throwing "copies and paste" up on the wall to see if it sticks, is a great past time.
All that that your buddy posted is great, he can copy and post with the best.  

Danny

It's called sourcing.   Ya know....backing up what you say with facts?  You should try it sometime.

:shamrock:  :shamrock:
If you read my posts you would see that I don't necessarily have to back up, I sit and talk with a good friend who works with these programs I mentioned his name, there is another program called "The Extension" which takes from the same pool when they get closer the their release time.
Like I told Che, I speak when I absolutely know what I am talking about not when I read something on google, then give my opinion.
Anne your ignorance is beginning to become legendary on fornits, keep it up girl. I think I hear whooter calling you, I love when you try to match wits and intellect with him, you are clearly out of your league and you always get mad at him and then start calling him names.

Danny
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 11:17:55 PM by DannyB II »
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline kirstin

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 07:17:07 PM »
If you read my posts you would see that I don't necessarily have to back up, I sit and talk with a good friend who works with these programs I mentioned his name, there is another program called "The Extension" which takes from the same pool when they get closer the their release time.  Like I told Che, I speak when I absolutely know what I am talking about not when I read something on google, then give my opinion.

Anne your ignorance is beginning to become legendary of fornits, keep it up girl. I think I hear whooter calling you, I love when you try to match wits and intellect with him, you are clearly out of your league and you always get mad at him and then start calling him names.

Danny

People Danny will try to poison our minds using communist mind control techniques he deems "therapeutic" for vulnerable juveniles.  

*Book of Bill chapter 25 verse 9
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Georgia Wilderness Institutes
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 09:46:22 PM »
Quote from: "Che Gookin"
Hmm, none of this is jiving with the information I have. I'm most interested in their Georgia Wilderness camp, but the entire expanded AMI culture of light boat repairs and shit is of interest as well. Reminds me of outward bound in Florida who went from long term treking with kids on a more or less voluntary basis to adjudicated youth. I remember one of them dying in an Outward bound trek as well.

Once I develop my source more, and it is groovy for me to reveal more information, I'll do so.

Though the whole AMI connection in florida explains some things to me.
Well... here is the main site for AMIkids' Georgian facilities. Note that they actually mention William Glasser's Reality Therapy in the description:

-------------- • -------------- • --------------

WELCOME TO THE GEORGIA WILDERNESS INSTITUTES

Mission

To redirect troubled youth, prevent recidivism and develop responsible, productive citizens through a disciplined learning environment.

Georgia Wilderness Institutes and its programs are part of the Associated Marine Institutes (AMI).  AMI is a not-for-profit organization providing rehabilitative services for youth since its inception in 1969.

Georgia Wilderness Institutes is a non profit organization dedicated to helping young offenders in the State of Georgia to become productive citizens. The Georgia Wilderness Institutes operates three facilities, two of which are six month residential programs and one of which is a sixty day program, in cooperation with the Georgia Department of Juvenile Justice to provide academics, outdoors and life skills training.  The Georgia Wilderness Institutes uses William Glasser's behavior modification philosophy to teach responsibility for ones own choices in life.

YOUTH GUIDANCE · EDUCATION · CHARACTER BUILDING

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Georgia Wilderness Institutes (facilities)
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 11:03:05 AM »
There are, at present, three facilities which comprise Georgia Wilderness Institute. I believe Baxley is the oldest of them (?20 years):

BWI (Baxley Wilderness Institute)
    MGWI (Middle Georgia Wilderness Institute)
    SRCP (Savannah River Challenge Program)
    [/list]

Baxley Wilderness Institute

Jamie Grover
    Executive Director
    Baxley Wilderness Institute
    1510 Deen's Landing Road
    Baxley, Georgia 31513
    (912) 367-3383
    (912) 267-3407 (fax)
    [email protected]

Middle Georgia Wilderness Institute (MGWI) is one of three facilities operated by the Georgia Wilderness Institutes. MGWI is located in Cochran, Georgia and was opened on April 4, 1995. The facility is designed for a capacity of 52 youth. The average length of stay at MGWI is six months, with an additional six months of aftercare once the youth is returned home.

The average cost per day/per case at MGWI is:

• $97 per day for the residential portion
    • $27 per day for the aftercare portion

For a total average cost per day of $62. This amounts to a 32% savings when compared to other State institutions for youthful offenders. (The average cost per day for State institutions, including aftercare, is $94).

The school at MGWI has a strong academic component. MGWI has had 25 students graduate, and has a 100% favorable placement for those youths in jobs, school or military service.

Community service is important to the youth at MGWI. The students at MGWI perform thousands of hours of community service each year. Some examples of the types of community service projects include:

Georgia Department of Natural Resources
      Special Olympics
      American Red Cross
      Adopt-A-Highway

Savannah River Challenge Program

Wade Goss
    Savannah River Challenge Program
    Post Office Box 1683
    626 Old River Road
    Sylvania, Georgia 30467
    (912) 829-5300
    (912) 829-5316 (fax)
    [email protected]

The Savannah River Challenge Program (SRCP) is one of three programs the Georgia Wilderness Institutes operates to serve delinquent youth. Georgia Wilderness Institutes is part of the Associated Marine Institutes (AMI), a Florida-based non-profit organization that has been providing outstanding rehabilitative and educational services to youthful offenders for over 30 years. AMI is currently in seven states and has served over 50,000 young people.

The SRCP was created at the request of the Georgia Department of Juvenile Justice (DJJ). The State's "boot camps" had not been successful, and because of threatened lawsuits, DJJ signed a Memorandum of Agreement with the United States Department of Justice. In contrast to the "boot camp" regimen, the 60-day program at SRCP places its heaviest emphasis on education. The young men attend class 7 days a week. Most of the boys are between the ages of 14 and 18. Minority groups form the largest segment of the student body.

The SRCP is located in Screven County, Georgia, on a 150 acre campus outside Sylvania. SRCP began serving young men on July 1, 2001, in temporary facilities. The permanent buildings were completed in December of 2001. The SRCP reached full enrollment, of 150, in January of 2002. In order to maintain the GWI formula of small groups, the boys are housed in three independent camps of 50 each. The camps are essentially self-contained, with their own school, dormitories, vocational shop, dining room and recreational areas.

Students at SRCP participate in a core curriculum of academics, behavior modification and life skills. Schooling is intense, with much individual instruction and use of computers. Control over the students is maintained, not by fences and razor wire, but by close interaction with staff. GWI believes that this new model is producing an outcome very different from that associated with large, impersonal institutions.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Re: Georgia Wilderness Institutes, Georgia Senate Resolution
    « Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 03:42:21 PM »
    Georgia General Assembly
    HR 911 - Georgia Wilderness Institutes; commend

Byrd, Roger (D-170)    Lane, Bob (D-146)    Barnard, Terry (R-154)  Coleman, Terry (D-142)       
    HC:    SC:    01/30/2002 House Read and Adopted

First Reader Summary
      A RESOLUTION recognizing and commending the Georgia Wilderness Institutes; and for other purposes.
    Code Sections Amended
      Bill History
        Date    01/30/2002
        Action House Read and Adopted[/list][/list]
        Versions
          Current
          LC 8 4880/a

Georgia General Assembly
        02 LC 8 4880

House Resolution 911
        By: Representatives Byrd of the 170th, Lane of the 146th, Barnard of the 154th and Coleman of the 142nd

A RESOLUTION

Recognizing and commending the Georgia Wilderness Institutes; and for other purposes.

WHEREAS, the Georgia Wilderness Institutes (GWI) provide educational services on a nonprofit basis for at-risk and delinquent youth through a partnership with the Georgia Department of Juvenile Justice; and

WHEREAS, GWI seeks to redirect troubled youth through a program that focuses on the completion of high school with continuing education goals and balances the educational core with experiences that instill discipline, respect, and responsibility among youth; and

WHEREAS, GWI operates facilities in Appling, Bleckley, and Screven Counties and serves youth from the entire State of Georgia; and

WHEREAS, students at each of the GWI facilities perform thousands of hours of community service work, making their communities a better place to live and work, and at the same time, learn valuable lessons about giving back to the community; and

WHEREAS, successful redirection of troubled youth requires special emphasis in the areas of prevention and intervention plus the support of the law enforcement agencies, local business and community organizations, the legislature, and other state agencies; and

WHEREAS, the confidence of the Georgia Department of Juvenile Justice in the program of the Georgia Wilderness Institutes is demonstrated by the number of boys entrusted by the department to its care, growing from 50 boys a year in 1991 to 720 boys at present; and

WHEREAS, the investment of resources in the Georgia Wilderness Institutes has a positive return on our tax dollars as youth who were tax users are converted into taxpayers.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES that this body commends the Georgia Wilderness Institutes and urges the support and participation of all to prevent juvenile crime.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Clerk of the House of Representatives is authorized and directed to transmit an appropriate copy of this resolution to the Georgia Wilderness Institutes.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
          • View Profile
        « Reply #20 on: April 20, 2010, 07:57:32 PM »
        My information is developing, this place is definitely of interest to me now. Will be doing my best to dig deeper. Something is not right about it, not at all right.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
        Georgia Wilderness Institutes and Ollie Keller
        « Reply #21 on: April 22, 2010, 10:43:05 AM »
        Quote from: "Che Gookin"
        My information is developing, this place is definitely of interest to me now. Will be doing my best to dig deeper. Something is not right about it, not at all right.
        The very existence of the Georgia Wilderness Institutes is very much tied to original AMIkids founder Ollie Keller, who is politically more than well-connected. Keller used to head the Illinois Youth Commission and later the Florida Division of Youth Services. While he was still in Illinois, Keller also founded the Boys Farm, a "residential program for boys and alternative to state correction facilities."

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
        Oliver Keller
        « Reply #22 on: April 22, 2010, 09:58:06 PM »
        Oliver J. Keller passed away not too long ago; a few obituaries follow... This first one is from Georgia Battlefields, an organization he was involved with for some time:

March 2008
        http://www.georgiabattlefields.org
        GEORGIA  BATTLEFIELDS
        Published by Georgia Battlefields Association, Inc., a non-profit organization dedicated to preservation of Georgia's Civil War history and sites. Contact newsletter editor by e-mail: http://www.ajc.com/search/content/metro ... _0217.html.

A memorial service was held on 25 February at St. Luke’s Episcopal Church in Atlanta.

Send condolences to the Keller family at 1150 Peachtree Battle Ave NW, Atlanta GA 30327.

Send donations in Olly's memory to:
          - Georgia Battlefields Association, 7 Camden Rd NE, Atlanta GA 30309; or to
          - Georgia Wilderness Institutes, c/o Sherri Ulleg, Associated Marine Institutes,
          5915 Benjamin Center Dr, Tampa FL 33634.

Olly's preservation and humanitarian work has been recognized with several awards, but many of his efforts were behind the scenes, and his contributions are incalculable. We have lost a great leader, mentor, and friend.

# #

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
        Re: Oliver Keller
        « Reply #23 on: April 23, 2010, 12:34:11 AM »
        And here's another obituary, this one from The Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

ATLANTA
        Oliver James Keller, 84, followed Lincoln's steps as justice advocate
        By DREW JUBERA
        The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
        Published on: 02/17/08

Oliver James Keller Jr., "definitely a Union man" in the words of a fellow Civil War buff, devoted much of his time and wide-ranging intellect to preserving Georgia battle sites.

"He had a strong belief in the justice of the Northern cause," said Henry Howell, a member of the Georgia Battlefields Association, of which Mr. Keller was a founder. "His greatest hero was Abraham Lincoln, and some are not surprised he departed this world on Lincoln's birthday. He admired Lincoln's sense of justice."

Mr. Keller died Feb. 12 at age 84 from heart failure. He broke a hip in January when he fell while attending a meeting of the Atlanta Civil War Round Table. That night's topic: Lincoln.

Yet Mr. Keller's sense of justice went far beyond Civil War history. He was a powerful advocate for issues related to juvenile offenders, as well as affordable housing.

He was a founder of the Georgia Wilderness Institute, a nonprofit organization that provides alternatives to incarceration for young offenders. In 1973, he was appointed Florida's secretary of Health and Rehabilitative Services.

"Our country is very shortsighted when dealing with juvenile offenders," Mr. Keller wrote in a letter to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution in 1999. He'd moved to Atlanta after President Carter appointed him to the U.S. Parole Commission.

"Instead of spending tax dollars for prevention and alternative punishments, we ignore the danger signs until a crime has occurred," Mr. Keller continued. "Prevention programs work."

At 6 feet 4 inches tall, with a stentorian voice, Mr. Keller was at once a commanding and personable presence. Raised in Pittsburgh, where his father was editor of the Post-Gazette, Mr. Keller visited Gettysburg as a teenager and it "just blew his mind," said his wife of 56 years, Joan Dixon Keller. He later memorized the Gettysburg Address and kept a copy over his desk.

"He believed that you understand what happened at a site better if you can actually see the ground," said Charles Crawford, president of the Georgia Battlefields Association. "He believed it makes you a better citizen if you understand your own history."

His own wartime experiences came during two stints in the Navy.

He was navigator of an LST carrier in the Pacific during World War II and the Korean War.

His bachelor's degree from Williams College was completed between those wars.

Mr. Keller then worked at a Springfield, Ill., radio station his father bought. He became a disc jockey, among other duties, and was known on-air as "OJ the DJ."

He helped troubled teens who came by, many of them listeners, and founded a residential facility for at-risk kids. The governor appointed him chairman of the Illinois Youth Commission.

Among his other passions: jazz piano and 1939 Cadillacs. "He was never greatly skilled," his wife allowed, "but he got pleasure playing one great song after another."

Mr. Keller is also survived by daughters Alison Townsend of Barrington, R.I., and Louisa Paige of Boston; a brother, Daniel Keller, of Davis, Calif., and six grandchildren.

A memorial service will be held Feb. 25 at 11 a.m. at St. Luke's Episcopal Church, 435 Peachtree St., N.E., Atlanta.

© 2010 The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
        Rutledge Youth Foundation
        « Reply #24 on: April 24, 2010, 10:56:21 AM »
        From a previous post:
        Following his passion for assisting young people who were in trouble, he moved into government positions responsible for helping juveniles. Ollie became Chairman of the Illinois Youth Commission, President of the Springfield Board of Education and founder of the Boys Farm, a residential program for boys and alternative to state correction facilities.
        The Illinois residential program for boys that Oliver Keller helped found, then known as Boys Farm, is now known as Rutledge Youth Foundation.

From their 'About Us' page:

About Rutledge Youth Foundation

Our Mission Statement: To assist abused and neglected youth in becoming productive, independent members of society.

Rutledge Youth Foundation was Founded in 1952 as Boy's Farm.

The Agency began when a group of prominent citizens, headed by O. J. Keller, Jr., decided that there needed to be a place in the Springfield area that was an alternative to the Department of Corrections for teens who were experiencing minor problems with the Law. While visiting a boys school in the Chicago area Mr. Keller met Mr. Martin Willard, who later became the first superintendent at Boys Farm in 1952.

After its establishment in Buffalo, Illinois, Boys Farm quickly grew from serving 8 boys to serving 16.

In 1979, the Agency Board of Directors moved the Agency to Springfield and began serving both boys and girls. Since then, the services offered by the Agency have changed to meet the growing needs in the community.  The same traditional values taught to the boys at Boys Farm are still being taught to the youth at Rutledge Youth Foundation.  The primary focus of services is protecting youth and teaching adolescent boys and girls independent living skills so that they become productive members of society.

The Rutledge Youth Foundation serves approximately 300 abused/neglected teens annually between the ages of 0 and 21.  The services provided to these teens as well as the ways in which you can become involved with the Agency are detailed further on this Web Site.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
        AMIkids - Big Cypress Wilderness Institute in news
        « Reply #25 on: January 05, 2012, 12:04:22 AM »
        Another AMIkids facility currently in the news: