Author Topic: An example of the typical family involvement  (Read 3476 times)

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
An example of the typical family involvement
« on: April 11, 2010, 01:36:09 AM »
My boss has me writing an "impact letter" to his son. What do you think about this?, Yahoo Answers

The letter is meant to bring the kid back to reality and stop the cycle of denial.

He wrote the basics down of what he wants to say, but then he gave me his notes, and the assignment from the school and told me to write the letter.

The school is one of those boot camp type places for kids who need a lot of discipline. It is a really sad and personal situation. I feel so weird writing such a personal and emotional letter. What do you think? What can I even do about it? Nothing, right?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline quest

• View Profile
Re: An example of the typical family involvement
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 01:58:53 AM »
One of the answers they got was...

Interesting to note that his apparent habit of delegating and passing down his parental duties might have something to do with the problems his son has, but you can't say that to him.

Yeah, it figures that they delegated parental responsibility to a program and would delegate this also. Maybe if the kid dies at the program this parent will send a donation in lieu of flowers (probably to STICC) and an assistant in lieu of themselves to the funeral.

"Everywhere, everywhere, children are the scorned people of the earth.“— Toni Morrison

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 09:49:47 PM »
:shamrock:  :shamrock:  :shamrock:

Which goes to my whole point, of the parents responsibility.....none.

Danny
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 12:18:11 AM »
Anyone can say that buckwheat.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 02:27:53 PM »
That kind of shit is why programs exist.  Parents outsourcing their responsibilities.  HOWEVER.......that does not, in any way, shape or form excuse or exonerate programs from the atrocities they heap upon these kids.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline pepsitodd1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 06:50:24 PM »
What about the very committed parent that has tried everything to reach their son and has shown nothing but support and love for their child?  Sometimes it is not a question of bad parenting. Sometimes it is more complicated than that.

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 10:36:35 PM »
Quote from: "Che Gookin"
Anyone can say that buckwheat.

:shamrock:  :shamrock:

The only problem Fat Boy is nobody does say it, including yourself. There is nothing I say that you even come close to having the balls to say.
So please stay on your politically correct road of less concern and only do what you can to get by with.

Danny

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 10:45:24 PM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"
That kind of shit is why programs exist.  Parents outsourcing their responsibilities.  HOWEVER.......that does not, in any way, shape or form excuse or exonerate programs from the atrocities they heap upon these kids.

Anne spoke:  "HOWEVER.......that does not, in any way, shape or form excuse or exonerate programs from the atrocities they heap upon these kids."

DannyBII spoke: I agree a 100%.......

Danny

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 11:18:30 PM »
Quote from: "pepsitodd1"
What about the very committed parent that has tried everything to reach their son and has shown nothing but support and love for their child?  Sometimes it is not a question of bad parenting. Sometimes it is more complicated than that.

Why would a parent send their child to these hellholds.
Danny

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 11:27:54 PM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"
I agree somewhat.  Responsibility, yes.  Moral guilt, no.  Parental intentions are often good. Some parents feel they're just not good enough, and that others can do better.  Programs prey on that.  Whether that's out of malice and greed, misguided inherited cultic philosophy (Synanon, LifeSpring, est), gradual power corruption, or some combination of the above is up to debate but when you come down to it, parents are victims.  Can you imagine the pain it causes parents who realize the truth and realize they put their kids through that?  It's what I think keeps most of em from even examining the possibility.  The possibility of guilt is too much.  It's why a long time ago, when I realized that fact, i forgave them, and I told them I didn't hold them responsible because they were fooled.  It was only they that they really started to open up.  They always knew somewhere there was something wrong but couldn't admit it to themselves.  The possibility of that guilt had to go before they admitted the truth to themselves and nothing cures guilt like forgiveness.

See.  My philosophy is that a person cannot be found morally (not necessarily legally) guilty of a wrong if they do not believe it to be wrong.  The vast majority of parents, if not the totality, have no clue what goes on in programs at the beginning and get sucked into the weirdness bit by bit under the guise that it's necessary to save their child's lives.  Parents hang out with other parents and others who support the cultic mindset.  They're encouraged to avoid critics of think of them as crazies, rebels, or druggies in denial.  Would you as a parent deny a doctor permission to operate on your unconscious kid if he was in immediate perceived danger of dying.  You don't know everything the doctor knows but surely he has the best knowledge and intentions.  Most of the time it's true and parents certainly don't have all the time in the world to read enough medical books while the child lies dying.  Granted there is a lot of information out there about programs but a lot of it, and yes I'm pointing to you Heal, sounds like hippie bullshit and conspiracy theories.  Would you listen to some disheveled homeless guy screaming "the doctor is a quack!" in the next room?

Well what if he was?  Back when I trusted in those in power i never would have believed that places like programs could exist.  The first shock for me after landing in the program was "this can't be real".  Turns out it was.  If I hadn't actually been there and somebody from a program came up to me and told me their experiences, I probably wouldn't believe it.  I might not say it (i actually probably would), but I probably wouldn't believe it...  and whenever I talk to a parent about the program to this day I keep it in mind, i keep website links on hand, and I make damn sure I hold interest long enough to plant a seed of doubt.  It might not be enough, and it's a lot to overcome, but it can be done, it has to be done, and it has to be done by those who were there.  So the next time you talk to a parent, erase everything you know, absorb the mindset of common knowledge, and honestly ask yourself that if your child was in serious danger of dying, who would you go to for help and who would you listen to.

In other news. ISAC really needs to get back online.  Does anybody have asp experience?
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 12:00:42 AM »
This whole blame it on the parent thing is another way of dodging out on attacking the real bastards, the program owners. Going after the parents is a short term band aid on a long term problem. As long as there is someone out there willing to profit off the pain and suffering of kids, there will always be idiot parents out there willing to part with their money to fatten the wallets of the Program owners.

Now I understand the sentiment of attacking parents, I really do, but in the end it doesn't accomplish much. Programs have been shut down by going after the owners, that is something that works.

Joel

Edited: Wednesday, October 06, 2010
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 01:05:05 AM »
Edited: Wednesday, October 06, 2010
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 09:35:38 AM by Joel »

Offline FemanonFatal2.0

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 04:33:53 AM »
Quote from: "Che Gookin"
This whole blame it on the parent thing is another way of dodging out on attacking the real bastards, the program owners. Going after the parents is a short term band aid on a long term problem. As long as there is someone out there willing to profit off the pain and suffering of kids, there will always be idiot parents out there willing to part with their money to fatten the wallets of the Program owners.

Now I understand the sentiment of attacking parents, I really do, but in the end it doesn't accomplish much. Programs have been shut down by going after the owners, that is something that works.

Look, I'm all for slimming down the blah blah blah to get to the point but consider this... Irresponsible parenting is the life blood that fuels this industry. Fact is, if it weren't for the mass media fueled hysteria about the average teenager transforming into some kind of drug crazed murderous monster, these schools wouldn't even exist. The problem is too many dumbass people let their paranoia and lack of patience consume any chance they ever had at being a good parent. A good parent knows their child well enough to know what they are capable of, and that certain extreme measures aren't necessary for most teenagers because as we all know the notorious teenage years have been a constant since the dawn of time. Its just something you have to get though, there isn't enough money in the world that could prevent nature from taking its due course.

and ya know what?... I don't feel sorry for you that jr. is stealing money out of your purse to buy pot, if you weren't prepared to actually parent your child you should have never had kids in the first place.

I think it not only appropriate to lay shame on the parenting skills of a person who would stoop so low as to send their kids off, but it can also be a significantly effective strategy for "going after the industry"... in my book anyways. I know this sounds harsh, and I probably look like an asshole for saying that, but I view it as creating the kind of stigma that NEEDS to be attached to this industry in order for it to loose its popularity. If parents can't see the injustices in this industry clearly by simply hearing the truth then maybe they need to be blamed... It takes a certain level of ignorance in order to live in that kind of denile, only a sick and twisted kind of mind would wish harm upon their own children, and maybe thats what needs to be portrayed to the rest of the world in order to get them thinking. As sad as it is, some parents care more about their reputation than about the welfare of their children and for those people the best way to get their attention is to shine a spotlight on their flawed decision making. In my opinion, sending your kid off to bratcamp is just about the definition of irresponsible parenting.
[size=150]When Injustice Becomes Law
...Rebellion Becomes Duty...[/size]

[size=150]WHEN THE RAPTURE COMES
CAN I HAVE YOUR FLAT SCREEN?[/size]

Offline kirstin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 05:57:58 AM »
Children often blame their parents for sending them to a program.  They do due this to avoid taking responsibility for drinking alcohol, smoking drugs, running away from home, stealing, skipping school, abusing animals, abusing people and manipulating people.  Counselors in programs deal with these problems on a daily basis.  The truth is juveniles in programs need guidance to make mature decisions that will lead them to success.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 09:59:36 AM »
Quote from: "kirstin"
Children often blame their parents for sending them to a program.  They do due this to avoid taking responsibility for drinking alcohol, smoking drugs, running away from home, stealing, skipping school, abusing animals, abusing people and manipulating people.  Counselors in programs deal with these problems on a daily basis.  The truth is juveniles in programs need guidance to make mature decisions that will lead them to success.

Parents often are to blame for the kids' perceived problems.  Truth is, many normal teenagers end up shipped away because their parents outsource their responsibilities.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa